Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

cat botherer posted:

The popular vote itself is less and less relevant. I'd still be surprised if Trump didn't win the popular vote outright but even if he doesn't, Biden still has to overcome the insane gerrymandering and voter suppression landscape that will exist in 2024. It's entirely possible that it will be to the point that any Dem win is a longshot, even if all of the other stars align perfectly for them.

It would surprise me. Trump has run in two presidential elections and in both he lost the popular vote by millions. Biden 2024 might be a weak campaign but it's not like Clinton 2016 and Biden 2020 were tigers, and you have the reality that Trump's political base has been disproportionately dying off from covid while Trump himself has only become less charismatic and more mired in scandal. I can see him outperforming Trump 2020 and scratching out a win, but not outperforming Trump 2016.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Civilized Fishbot posted:

It would surprise me. Trump has run in two presidential elections and in both he lost the popular vote by millions. Biden 2024 might be a weak campaign but it's not like Clinton 2016 and Biden 2020 were tigers, and you have the reality that Trump's political base has been disproportionately dying off from covid while Trump himself has only become less charismatic and more mired in scandal. I can see him outperforming Trump 2020 and scratching out a win, but not outperforming Trump 2016.

Trump got a lower percentage of the popular vote in 2016 than he did in 2020. If he outperformed 2020, he would by definition outperform 2016.

Both of them were very low popular vote percentages around ~46%. But, he got 0.8% more of the popular vote in 2020.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Trump got a lower percentage of the popular vote in 2016 than he did in 2020. If he outperformed 2020, he would by definition outperform 2016.

Both of them were very low popular vote percentages around ~46%. But, he got 0.8% more of the popular vote in 2020.

I was thinking about in terms of vote margin vs. closest opponent. In 2016, Clinton beat him by a little under 3 million votes out of about 130 million cast, so Trump lost by like 2.5%. In 2020, Biden beat him by just over 7 million out of about 150 million cast, so Trump lost by like 4.5%. So I estimate that he'll lose the popular vote by somewhere between 2.5% and 4.5%, which is still enough for him to win the EC.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 11, 2022

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

Newsom is more likely to win the primary than H. Clinton or Buttigieg. But Buttigieg is more likely to win the Presidency than either of them. He has a clearer path to the nomination. If anything, Biden or Harris voters would throw their support behind Pete, imo.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

drawkcab si eman ym posted:

Newsom is more likely to win the primary than H. Clinton or Buttigieg. But Buttigieg is more likely to win the Presidency than either of them. He has a clearer path to the nomination. If anything, Biden or Harris voters would throw their support behind Pete, imo.

On what basis are you making these claims?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The PredictIt market for the 2024 Democratic Primaries has shifted a bit in the last two weeks with Newsom siphoning off some Biden backers to pass Harris as the (non-incumbent) favorite. That market, which some put some stock behind, is placing Buttegieg 4th.

The Republican Primaries side, as you might expect, has Trump and DeSantis neck and neck and no one else in their stratosphere.

Does this mean anything, I don't know.

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

On what basis are you making these claims?

The idea that their might be a contested convention in 2024 where H. Clinton or Newsom don't get 50% of primary electors and a backroom deal is made throwing the nomination behind Buttigieg. Crazier stuff has happened though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don’t believe Hillary is going to run. The only people who have been proposing it as a possibility are random Republican commentators.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Bernie Sanders for dictator pls. Then we can squabble like usual after like 5+ years.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don’t believe Hillary is going to run. The only people who have been proposing it as a possibility are random Republican commentators.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the only time anyone has even mentioned the possibility of her running were "Former Hillary Campaign Staffers" (who both went on to work for right-wing media outlets), when directly asked she straight up said she wasn't planning on running, and I can't double check because I hate Twitter, but hasn't she been fairly quiet on anything political since she lost in 2016, usually only getting political when people ask her about specific subjects?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Clinton loving lost to Trump, she's never running again. It's shameful and embarrassing, and nobody serious is actually pushing for her.

And it would be in everyone's best interest for her to shut up forever.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
She won't, most politicians never do.

And everything she says will be broadcast immediately because she induces white hot rage from the most online people of the right and left.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I truly believe the idea that Hillary might run again in 2024 is complete nonsense spouted by idiots looking for clicks, but experience is girding me for the possibility that I might, one day in November of 2024, search for and quote this post to laugh at my own naivete

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Discendo Vox posted:

I have no idea; some of this is from a CEO who was already ousted for similar or worse behavior, and a lot of it is from several years ago. Going purely off the article, Uber largely completed its "aggressively break all laws and burn money to take over markets" phase and is now in a combination of strategic retreat and consolidation in those jurisdictions where it has managed to choke everyone else out.

edit: I stand corrected- having finished reading, this is pretty lethal, at least in countries where litigation is pending. This describes setting up puppet advocate groups and deliberations over planting false information about opposing parties, among other things. This also appears to just be the first set of headlines from the leak.

edit 2: Here's a direct link to the ICIJ site for the files.

Following up on the leak of Uber files revealing widespread criminal activity, the leaker has revealed himself:

Mark MacGann, the former head of European operations. Video interview with the Guardian at that link.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

On what do you base the idea that Pete is a more viable candidate in the general than Newsom? He's never won anything bigger than a small town mayorship and his points of appeal don't appear to translate outside of a few specific subsets of the Democrat primary electorate, and his current job is one of the public faces of a disaster of presidential administration. Also, as Obama himself pointed out, Pete is short. The official claim is 5'9, which as observed with Ben Shapiro and Marco Rubio, is a height point claimed by people shorter than 5'9 who can't pass as average height but don't want to admit they're that far below it. That's the same claimed height as Ron DeSantis, and IMO a big reason I wouldn't expect him to survive a primary fight against Trump. Aesthetics are a huge part of general election appeal and Pete gets absolutely washed in that department by someone like Newsom

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

On what do you base the idea that Pete is a more viable candidate in the general than Newsom? He's never won anything bigger than a small town mayorship and his points of appeal don't appear to translate outside of a few specific subsets of the Democrat primary electorate, and his current job is one of the public faces of a disaster of presidential administration. Also, as Obama himself pointed out, Pete is short. The official claim is 5'9, which as observed with Ben Shapiro and Marco Rubio, is a height point claimed by people shorter than 5'9 who can't pass as average height but don't want to admit they're that far below it. That's the same claimed height as Ron DeSantis, and IMO a big reason I wouldn't expect him to survive a primary fight against Trump. Aesthetics are a huge part of general election appeal and Pete gets absolutely washed in that department by someone like Newsom

A contested convention where party bosses reward Pete for his loyalty to the Biden/Harris administration and the party writ large.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

A contested convention where party bosses reward Pete for his loyalty to the Biden/Harris administration and the party writ large.

???

I'm not talking about how they'd install him as nominee, I'm asking why you think he is a viable candidate in the general. It's literally the first sentence of my post

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Newsom is human slime though. I think his popularity outside of CA will be much lower than expected.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Newsom is human slime though. I think his popularity outside of CA will be much lower than expected.

As a fellow West Coaster, I'd keep all Cali politicians out of the national pool.

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

???

I'm not talking about how they'd install him as nominee, I'm asking why you think he is a viable candidate in the general. It's literally the first sentence of my post

An installed candidate is a viable candidate.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Which is why I expect Biden to be the nominee.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Crows Turn Off posted:

Clinton loving lost to Trump, she's never running again. It's shameful and embarrassing, and nobody serious is actually pushing for her.

And it would be in everyone's best interest for her to shut up forever.

She kind of has. Apart from normal lib-fundraiser-tweeting that every DNC politician does and that weird moment where she posted her winning 2016 speech she and her family have hosed off from politics.

And sadly (because this shouldn't be the thing that makes the difference) the biggest reason HRC won't run again might be legitimate fear for her life. Republican still have foaming-at-the-mouth hatred of her, the last go-around Trump all but put a hit out on her talking to his "2nd-amendment people", and the rhetoric has only ramped up since then. At this point it just isn't worth it for her to deal with that stuff.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

Gerrymandering only applies to state elections, the presidential election has a permanent and immutable gerrymander stemming from state borders. Voter suppression and the ISL bullshit is the real problem, especially if Congress changes hands

I don't think Trump wins the popular vote, that poll shows that the electorate is still willing to hold their nose for Biden because Trump is just that repellent. A post-Trump smart quiet fascist like DeSantis may be another story

The candidates gerrymandering favors also shape electoral law in the individual states, it very obviously has an effect.

But also, when the Supreme Court abolishes democracy next year, who knows what the next presidential elections will look like.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

BlueBlazer posted:

As a fellow West Coaster, I'd keep all Cali politicians out of the national pool.

How many states have a further left government overall? Honest question, I know precious little about the local politics in most states.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Flying-PCP posted:

How many states have a further left government overall? Honest question, I know precious little about the local politics in most states.

Probably none right now. California has the advantage of being huge, having a massive economy, and basically being a one party state, so they can get things done when they want to.

Vermont or Massachusetts would likely be it if they didn't have weird obsessions with voting in left-wing legislatures and moderate Republican Governors.

Hawaii, New Jersey, or Washington state are probably the most left-wing current state governments that aren't California; depending on what issues you prioritize.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 11, 2022

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Hawaii, [..] [is] probably the most left-wing current state governments that aren't California; depending on what issues you prioritize.

any excuse to post this!

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

An installed candidate is a viable candidate.

???????

Your original contention was "Pete is the best candidate for the general in 2024"

Responding with "they could install him at the convention" when asked how you arrived at this conclusion is not an explanation of your reasoning dude

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Flying-PCP posted:

Washington

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

And yet we still have no income tax and one of the worst sets of sales taxes impacting the poor.

We are a land of contrasts.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Was anybody excited about Biden in 2020? In my circle it was grim resignation all the way. Even in this thread, was there anyone during the primary or after who thought Biden was best or who had enthusiasm for him?

I'm sure there was? I mean there were people unironically excited about Hilary and I'm sure some of that energy plus strong feelings on Obama must have energized... somebody, but I struggle to find a real world example.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Was anybody excited about Biden in 2020? In my circle it was grim resignation all the way. Even in this thread, was there anyone during the primary or after who thought Biden was best or who had enthusiasm for him?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Mendrian posted:

And yet we still have no income tax and one of the worst sets of sales taxes impacting the poor.

We are a land of contrasts.

Even California has stupid retro poo poo like Medicaid clawback for 55+, "fetal protection" laws, and Prop. 13 for businesses.

eta: plus the death penalty, for chrissake.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
New Jersey's solid blue but it feels extremely tenuous sometimes, and we are almost certainly going to elect a Republican governor when Murphy's second term is up

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I didn't realize that NJ was considered like a blue stronghold or example like CA and WA. That's impressive to pull off after (or maybe because of?) Chris Christie, who is to my knowledge the only NJ politician I know about.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Willa Rogers posted:

Even California has stupid retro poo poo like Medicaid clawback for 55+, "fetal protection" laws, and Prop. 13 for businesses.

eta: plus the death penalty, for chrissake.

Right.

What I'm saying is "farthest left state government" is a bar buried somewhere in the ocean.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

projecthalaxy posted:

I didn't realize that NJ was considered like a blue stronghold or example like CA and WA. That's impressive to pull off after (or maybe because of?) Chris Christie, who is to my knowledge the only NJ politician I know about.

People inexplicably loved Christie because he was exactly the guy you meet like 15 times a day in New Jersey.

He was like a sentient jughandle.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

projecthalaxy posted:

New Jersey has a habit of electing Republican governors, probably in no small part because our gubernatorial election occurs in off years (the year after the presidential).

Murphy was the first Democratic governor to win reelection here in a long time.

Edit: Also what Jaxyon said. Christie had appeal on both sides of the aisle here for a while. There was a very brief period there where it looked as though he could've pulled the Republican nomination.

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 12, 2022

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

projecthalaxy posted:

Blue states love electing Republican governors to "balance" poo poo or something, I don't know.

I'm not surprised that nobody is stepping up to seriously challenge Biden, it's a no-win scenario. Facing a serious primary challenger in the first place means that the party is in such a weak position that they're almost certainly going to lose the Presidency, so all that challenging Biden gets you is the stink of a loser and getting declared persona non grata by the party. If Biden does end up stepping aside it'll be be mutually decided by the DNC behind the scenes.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Mendrian posted:

Right.

What I'm saying is "farthest left state government" is a bar buried somewhere in the ocean.

Agreed.*

Neoliberalism & state-based austerity has done a number on public services, which became incredibly apparent at the beginning of the pandemic & beyond, when we learned the extent to which things like processes for unemployment claims had been fubar'd by consultancies paid millions to design them.

*MODS, I'm clarifying that I wasn't arguing against Mendrian's post, not
"cheerleading."

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 12, 2022

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

projecthalaxy posted:

Northeastern voters seem to have this weird attitude of "We shouldn't ever let those Republican assholes run everything.... buuuut you need a check in there somewhere so that the Democrats don't just go crazy with the budget". There always seems to be some random Republican governors somewhere in the northeast that you normally think shouldn't be there.

Right now we have Republican governors in MD, MA, NH, and VT

On the other side of it we somehow have Democrats in KS, KY, and LA.

Kansas I can explain since I'm in the area, the GOP just wrecked the state SO AMAZINGLY BADLY that the people voted for a Democrat out of sheer desperation to finally end the stupid "cut all the taxes for job growth" experiment to get the government funded. She'll probably get tossed right back out this November.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Using EMTALA is clever because it threatens hospital medicare reimbursement.

https://twitter.com/ap/status/1546605593011650561?s=21&t=RXmAEaOsl_-_tny_sxmkZQ

quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Biden administration on Monday told hospitals that they “must” provide abortion services if the life of the mother is at risk, saying federal law on emergency treatment guidelines preempts state laws in jurisdictions that now ban the procedure without any exceptions following the Supreme Court’s decision to end a constitutional right to abortion.

The Department of Health and Human Services cited requirements on medical facilities in the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act, or EMTALA. The law requires medical facilities to determine whether a person seeking treatment may be in labor or whether they face an emergency health situation — or one that could develop into an emergency — and to provide treatment.

EMTALA is a lot of things but basically if someone comes in to the er they get evaluated regardless of ability to pay. If they require advanced care they get it, and if the hospital can’t provide they have agreements with higher lvl facilities that can.

Hospitals that break this law risk losing Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement and huge fines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jaxyon posted:

People inexplicably loved Christie because he was exactly the guy you meet like 15 times a day in New Jersey.

He was like a sentient jughandle.

The Dems (and their fellow travellers around the world) need to realize: that poo poo counts even if you can't quantify it. Fetterman should give them a clue, I hope.

Democratically elected politicians represent us. That's literally the definition of their job, that's why the exist. People we cannot relate to, and who do not attempt to relate to us, will suffer at the ballot box. And, here's the great thing: you can totally fake it! Look at GWB and Trump and BoJo! They're rich assholes who don't give a gently caress about you, and have no idea what your life is like, and they'd kill themselves if they had to switch places with you, but they learned to fake it. It's not debate club, you can't win just by having the best argument. You should, as a general principle, do right by the people you represent and by society as a whole, but that's not sufficient to guarantee electoral victory.