Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Do they have to be that big in space? I thought they're only that big on Earth due to interference. If so, maybe that could be another use for asteroid mining and space processing/fabrication of materials in the long term, aseembling large sensor arrays for deep space telemetry. :swoon:

For radio astronomy their telescopes do have to be big just because of how large the wavelengths are, though as said bigger is obviously better, to get around interference theyre located in places where there either isnt a lot of radio broadcasters or enforce a radio silence zone around (usually both). But the only serious space radio telescope proposal I'm aware of would be to place one on the far side of the moon which would block pretty much all interference from Earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
JWST will be releasing first full color images on 2022-07-12 starting @ 10:30 EST. You'll be able to watch the press event here: nasa.gov/webbfirstimages.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Neat videos:

Asteroid Impact Comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyyrfB8s5cY

I kinda like how the presentation is almost at Final Fantasy 7 "nova" levels of spectacle.

Kurzgesagt: The Last Human: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEENEFaVUzU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Dameius posted:

JWST will be releasing first full color images on 2022-07-12 starting @ 10:30 EST. You'll be able to watch the press event here: nasa.gov/webbfirstimages.

https://twitter.com/NASA/status/1546290906046816256

Spoilers!!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
why not just release them this is some bullshit

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If this is part of some strategy to get more space telescopes, I am for it. Feels like it would have worked better on trump to tell him he gets to tell people about important space photos and get applause and then tell him that if there are more telescopes, there will be more photos.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

why not just release them this is some bullshit

Because we live in late-capitalist dystopia even NASA has to do this "teaser trailer" garbage trying to hype up their space photos like it's the next season of Stranger Things or AAA game sequel.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I would bet a reasonable sum that the impetus for the presidential early release came from the White House, not NASA. At most, NASA might have suggested it first to curry presidential favour, but I haven't heard of Biden having a particular grudge against or really any strong opinions about NASA.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 11, 2022

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Has it been released or what my stream says starting soon but this news live blog is saying it’s been released.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Live streams on now

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Tag yourself, I am the dragon shaped galaxy towards the bottom quarter.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

My God.

I do see the ring!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
can someone smart explain how this picture compares with the Hubble deep field picture

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Boris Galerkin posted:

can someone smart explain how this picture compares with the Hubble deep field picture
https://twitter.com/akaschs/status/1546624204375818240/photo/1

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

I AM GRANDO posted:

If this is part of some strategy to get more space telescopes, I am for it. Feels like it would have worked better on trump to tell him he gets to tell people about important space photos and get applause and then tell him that if there are more telescopes, there will be more photos.

Maybe don’t tell him the part about the 20+ year development time for Hubble and James Webb telescopes.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The cool hot young lensed galaxies might be the flashiest, but the real star(s) of the show are in the diffuse, extended cluster background light.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jason4short/status/1546633395643432961?t=3MkdrrFdqcOm9-0cko-jEw&s=19

https://twitter.com/ianlauerastro/status/1546625603641790465?t=Yx0jfvA4wBSCx1ne-FRuMQ&s=19

Unormal fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 12, 2022

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Holy poo poo that's incredible

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

The closeup really sells it. Weird smudges pop into fully formed galaxies, pixels turn into full structure and I bet even more detail than I can notice.

Take me to space already.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Tag yourself, I am the dragon shaped galaxy towards the bottom quarter.

I'm the :flaccid: at the northeast point of the biggest star.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
We're all goons sooooo we're all the dark matter that no one can see but nevertheless are so massive we distort light.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
God drat, that is truly amazing.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Dameius posted:

We're all goons sooooo we're all the dark matter that no one can see but nevertheless are so massive we distort light.

Is that what's happening with all the swirly looking galaxies and the elongated ones?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is that what's happening with all the swirly looking galaxies and the elongated ones?

Don't quote me on it but yeah I assume its distortion from lensing.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Wow why didn’t they just show this on the stream

E: I meant to quote the tweet with the closeup gif holy poo poo that’s insane. That’s like in tv when they go “enhance and tighten up the graphics” except this time it’s real

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's worth noting as well that the JWST image was exposed over a matter of a hours, whereas Hubble deep field images take at least a week, sometimes more. If we expose JWST images for longer, we can potentially take even more mind-boggling photos. It also means that we get more science out of it in general - there are a lot more people who want to use the telescopes for science than there is time for the telescope to stare at stuff. Being able to take images faster means more people get to do more research.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yes. There is a cluster of galaxies at the center on the ripples (note how the swirls sorta resolve into circles if you extend and connect them) and the dark matter that is clustered there is so dense that this mostly-invisible mass is bending light around it, acting like a lens.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

aniviron posted:

Yes. There is a cluster of galaxies at the center on the ripples (note how the swirls sorta resolve into circles if you extend and connect them) and the dark matter that is clustered there is so dense that this mostly-invisible mass is bending light around it, acting like a lens.

What the gently caress! That’s wild!! So cool.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

That's neat but why not just put it into Dall-E and have it upscale the picture

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

aniviron posted:

It's worth noting as well that the JWST image was exposed over a matter of a hours, whereas Hubble deep field images take at least a week, sometimes more. If we expose JWST images for longer, we can potentially take even more mind-boggling photos.

From what I was reading these are the difference of Hubble at 240 hours vs JWST at 24 hours exposure times.

eravulgaris
Jul 7, 2012

Man, NASA doesn't have a lot of experience with streaming (I think?). This stream is a mess and it's kinda funny. Let's see the pics!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Dameius posted:

From what I was reading these are the difference of Hubble at 240 hours vs JWST at 24 hours exposure times.

It's not. This is the HST image (with different color balance). That cluster took a total of 64 HST orbits (=95 minutes each) across 4 filters, so 9.56.33 hours (e: accidentally added too many columns).

Possibly someone added up the total time for that entire survey, which was 270 hours, but that was for 41 clusters, not just that one.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 12, 2022

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

eravulgaris posted:

Man, NASA doesn't have a lot of experience with streaming (I think?). This stream is a mess and it's kinda funny. Let's see the pics!

They're streaming directly from L2.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

eXXon posted:

It's not. This is the HST image (with different color balance). That cluster took a total of 64 HST orbits (=95 minutes each) across 4 filters, so 9.56.33 hours (e: accidentally added too many columns).

Possibly someone added up the total time for that entire survey, which was 270 hours, but that was for 41 clusters, not just that one.

Awesome, thanks for the correction. Amazing regardless the difference because it's still incredible.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

aniviron posted:

How do the like, three remaining guys that still believe in modified Newtonian Dynamics explain that? Just a bunch of black holes chilling all together without a wisp of hydrogen?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I wonder how you'd go finding out about that, outside of keeping an eye on Arxiv. Is there a MOND newsgroup around, or something?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is MOND in crackpot territory now? I thought there was a publication a little while ago that gave it a little credibility back, but I can’t remember what or why.

If you’re a MOND guy, how easy is it to switch to something else? I assume that it would be easy, since you’re still studying gravity and probably a lot of the same things dark matter people study.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

Is MOND in crackpot territory now? I thought there was a publication a little while ago that gave it a little credibility back, but I can’t remember what or why.

If you’re a MOND guy, how easy is it to switch to something else? I assume that it would be easy, since you’re still studying gravity and probably a lot of the same things dark matter people study.

I don't think it's crackpot, just running on inertia. You can probably contrive a lot of perfectly valid scenarios to explain what we see, but Occam's razor at this point is cutting so deeply in the other direction that even if your heart leans MOND you do have to acknowledge it looks pretty bad for the theory.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

MOND believers generally spend most of their time on galaxy rotation curves and/or galaxy cluster dynamics with an occasional foray into specific modified gravity theories. Most other astrophysicists pay them little attention because there's no MOND theory I know of that works at multiple scales (a random paper I found on that topic if you care to delve further), so... why bother?

Anyway, JWST's view of the Carina Nebula is pretty nice:

https://twitter.com/NASAWebb/status/1546877197583060993

... but I like Stephan's Quintet more:

https://twitter.com/NASAWebb/status/1546874376351612930?cxt=HHwWhIC8qZaDzfcqAAAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/chevronsauvages/status/1546878138768138241