Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
https://twitter.com/i/status/1546626672488632321

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

old beast lunatic posted:

Gonna look forward to each new James Webb drop like I used to look forward to new star wars movies.

Breaking news: Disney has purchased the JWST and has discovered that the force of gravity is female.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Argh, I really was hoping to hold out but yeah, I really do gotta upgrade to the UHD!

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

https://twitter.com/jason4short/status/1546633395643432961

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

owns.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
That’s incredible

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Philthy posted:

Man, that's gotta be a trillion billion civilizations that have been born and died since then. Warhammer 40k probably happened for real about 60 times already.

There is likely no life in that image. Many of the stars in the photo had to die to form the heavy elements that life relies on.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Goddamn. Wowzers. Incredible.

Hello new desktop wallpaper, until whatever we see tomorrow and beyond!

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Nelson Mandingo posted:

There is likely no life in that image. Many of the stars in the photo had to die to form the heavy elements that life relies on.

There is no life in the image because human beings don't have souls, so when they look into the cosmos with their space telescopes, they cause the wave front to collapse into a lifeless universe full of raw elemental chaos that's tearing itself apart.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Nelson Mandingo posted:

sheer_fuckin_hubris.gif

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Which one of those is the one where Star Wars happens?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

There are so many stars and planets in the universe that chances are there are multiple Earths out there that all have identical copies of all of us doing the exact same things we are.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Knormal posted:

Which one of those is the one where Star Wars happens?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
nah, that one is only far away- not far, far away

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

i like this guy

check him out
But what's that TIE fighter doing on the right?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
a friend just said "too bad Sagan and Hawking and all the rest aren't here to see it" and dammit now I'm sad

but now I'm happy cuz I look at the picture again yay!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Holy poo poo.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

what are the tiny white dots behind the ones we can see and actually make out? Like would they be even further back .. like 8 billion years?

This is really really neat

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

The new image has all these red galaxies that weren't there before. Those aren't, like, some kind of evil anti-galaxies or anything right? :ohdear:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Seth Pecksniff posted:

:eng101: that being is likely long dead, but we might have captured it as it was doing that millions of billions of years ago!

Never mind I had my monitor off lol

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Hot DANG that’s the good stuff.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

There are so many stars and planets in the universe that chances are there are multiple Earths out there that all have identical copies of all of us doing the exact same things we are.

oh great just what we need

more goons

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i like this bit

i know there has been a case already where astronomers were able to use lensing to see a single star in a distant galaxy. these little bright dots in the smear could be individual stars?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

nuketulsa posted:

what are the tiny white dots behind the ones we can see and actually make out? Like would they be even further back .. like 8 billion years?

This is really really neat

As far as I know the universe is 13.8 billion years old and this pic is 13 billion years ago. So like..... 800,000,000 years from the big bang. :stare:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I want HD pics of Alpha Centauri you cowards.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

As far as I know the universe is 13.8 billion years old and this pic is 13 billion years ago. So like..... 800,000,000 years from the big bang. :stare:

The next photos to release (tomorrow?) are supposed to show something at 13.5B years ago. Or maybe that object is already in the current photo and they'll highlight it specifically, it wasn't clear from the statement. Anyway, we're pretty close to the physical limit of what we can actually photograph since the cosmic background radiation blocks everything at 13.7.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 12, 2022

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Seth Pecksniff posted:

There's gotta be like aliens doing the exact same thing we are right? Like they're looking at the Milky Way as it was millions of years ago

It's basically a mathematical impossibility that somewhere there aren't humanoids doing the same poo poo in one of those billions of galaxies, if not many

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Bad Purchase posted:

if we find other life, we shouldn't try to talk to them. they would probably stand in front of the telescope with their titties out because they don't know anyone is looking. if we introduce ourselves, they'll know and close the curtains. then goodbye alien titties.

I asked the AI what weird alien titties looked like, and I don't think I can jerk it to this. I'm sure someone else could find a way. We are good at that.

Now, this, this I can work with.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Good excuse to post this neat video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNhhvQGsMEc

barmk ima dog lol
Apr 6, 2022

Handen posted:

Breaking news: Disney has purchased the JWST and has discovered that the force of gravity is female.

And somehow, electromagnetic force returned :shopkeeper:

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Mozi posted:

i like this bit

i know there has been a case already where astronomers were able to use lensing to see a single star in a distant galaxy. these little bright dots in the smear could be individual stars?

Those are probably star clusters of newly born stars. The age of that galaxy might be much older than most of the others in the picture depending on how much it was magnified, so that might be a protogalaxy.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Schweinhund posted:

How much did we spend on this again?

Not as much as we should have.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fiat lux, motherfuckers.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Kind of not related but again it's kind of insane that people waste their time thinking that god put us here and we're special and so you should pray before the flag

Like, THIS is the real majesty right here, this is the poo poo that humanity should be collectively devoting ourselves to

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Mozi posted:

i like this bit

Is it a space worm?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

how do these deep field images actually work? during the livestream, bill nelson or whoever the guy was that somehow looked even older and frailer than biden, said something in his rambling speech about every speck of light in the image being 13 billion years old.

is that right? i don't know much about telescopes -- is the focus somehow set such that only things about that far away will be in focus and expose well? or is it that anything up to and including that distance is going to expose well, so a lot of the image could be galaxies much closer than 13 billion light years away?

also, i know that it's an infrared detector, so they are looking for extremely red-shifted (originally) UV or visible light from very far energy sources, and so capturing a narrow wavelength range is one way they could ignore or filter galaxies that are closer. but, it's not like a nearby star from our own galaxy or a local galaxy won't put out a ton of IR energy too if it's in the telescope's field of view, even if it's not being red-shifted at all. how do they work around that... just have to point exclusively into regions where they know there won't be any local stars or galaxies in the field of view?

e: basically what i'm curious about is what range of distances are actually shown in these images, because it seems fishy to me that they're all equally (~13 billion years) old.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 12, 2022

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah related to that. Are these pictures actual color or were they added after like with the Hubble?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Space Jam posted:

Those are probably star clusters of newly born stars. The age of that galaxy might be much older than most of the others in the picture depending on how much it was magnified, so that might be a protogalaxy.

cool - i was talking about the thin white line rather than the large red one just to be clear but it could be true either way

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah related to that. Are these pictures actual color or were they added after like with the Hubble?

the pictures are from infrared light, so the energy captured isn't visible. they are colorized after the fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Can it hear songs from the radio? oh OH.