Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

The James Webb telescope will replace the Hubble, in the same sense that the PS5 is replacing the Atari 2600. The leap is generational, not incremental. It "sees" in the infrared wavelength, which allows it to see much much further than the Hubble and pierce certain gas clouds. It will also operate at a much further orbit from earth (570km for Hubble vs 1,500,000km for James Webb) and will have a tennis court sized sun shield to keep the instruments at a brisk -394F.

And you can see it launch live on Christmas morning! Or if you're reading this after it launched, you can watch the replay.

https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive

Because of its distance though, it won't be serviceable like the Hubble. Its projected lifespan is 5-10 years. Once the fuel is spent, James Webb won't be able to maintain its orbit and will drift off into space.

edit:

Dignity Van Houten fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Oh man I can't wait to see the pics this comes back with!!! I'm not even lying this is a great Christmas present :)

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Im going to tug at 7:20 est is abyone wants to watch live

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I am so excited!!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Space isn't real, it'll just crash against the sky

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
25 years, $10,000,000,000

It's extraordinary. There are so many things that can go wrong. I can't imagine how nerve wracking the next 24 hours must be to be one of the engineers that basically dedicated their entire career to this one thing.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Dignity Van Houten posted:

Because of its distance though, it won't be serviceable like the Hubble. Its projected lifespan is 5-10 years. Once the fuel is spent, James Webb won't be able to maintain its orbit and will drift off into space.

Woah. I didn't know about that part. That's not a lot of time to work with and with how much money is being spent.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
there's no way i don't finish this bottle of ice wine and pass out at least two hours before then

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
anybody holding bets on this thing actually making it? wanna throw down a hundo against it

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Woah. I didn't know about that part. That's not a lot of time to work with and with how much money is being spent.

small price to see space titties on that thing imo

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
i'm watching First Man and i think i'm at the scene where the guys burn up on the launch tower? did that happen? anyway that should do me for the night, thanks for the intel about the telescope tho

EDIT: ohhh boy it happened. tastefully done though, no crispy astronauts

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 25, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

The Walrus posted:

small price to see space titties on that thing imo

No one mentioned space titties to me.

Is there a kickstarter for the next one?

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

344 potential single-point failures, gently caress it let's launch this thing

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

cool video about why it's a big deal and some of the engineering that went into it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aICaAEXDJQQ

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I be sleeping, sorry

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Going to be :krad:

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

oh dope posted:

25 years, $10,000,000,000

It's extraordinary. There are so many things that can go wrong. I can't imagine how nerve wracking the next 24 hours must be to be one of the engineers that basically dedicated their entire career to this one thing.

the next 24hrs and then the next 30 days while they wait for it to get into position and set itself up

Going to be a stressful month at NASA, I hope everything goes to plan as I'm really excited for this

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

i just spent like 2 hours researching this and i can't believe i didn't know about it until now.

I saw news months ago about a controversy on the name but i didn't care and ignored it... this is some of the coolest poo poo NASA has done in a long long time

i really wish I was going to be up to see it

[edit] there are 300 points of failure after it travels 1.5m kilometers from earth into a crazy awesome orbit pattern.... it has to unfold most of the important bits in order for the camera to work and be controllable. It will only be able to stay in this orbit for 5-10 years before it runs out of fuel and flies off into space at a fairly random trajectory in its weird orbit.. time to seize beozo's money and put it into the successor and UBI

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 25, 2021

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Absolute gamechanger. This thing is going to change what we know about outer space. The next 10 years are going to be so exciting. This will be like the Hubble Deep Field times a hundred.

Just for fun, here's a remarkable YT documentary on alien life, released a couple weeks ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saWNMPL5ygk&t=1s

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

The stakes are loving ASTRONOMICALLY HIGH

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

We’re launchin :banjo:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Us, eu and can ... International effort success!

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
next i hope the launch a microscope in to space so i can find my balls

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

How doth the hero, strong and brave, a celestial path in the heavens pave.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

It didn't blow up on the launch pad!

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/1474714071396147200?t=BrKJDy8VfGDfBXiezBPlmg&s=19

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/1474710029639065603?t=VzKn93W6MLcwVLJOowKUBA&s=19

https://twitter.com/Brittany_Hope/status/1765133239?t=_yDfcvzXQM2aBIKMpCqGKw&s=19

https://twitter.com/nekogroovin/status/1829929303?t=hvlXHneZh5vbfTYyjqK0lA&s=19

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

wait a government project was way over budget and way past due?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
NASA’s poo poo always lasts way longer than planned, I bet this thing is still operational after 10 years somehow, which will be cool

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Robo Reagan posted:

wait a government project was way over budget and way past due?

A thing to know is that a small part of why it cost so much is because congress didn't give it enough funding. It went over budget, and then rather than increasing the funding -- as they'd do for something important like a fighter jet that catches on fire randomly -- they made cuts to NASA's budget instead.

NASA has spent 10s of millions just on storage costs. Parts have needed to be replaced due to sitting around too long.

Congress literally took lessons from the Zaurg School of Finance and made minimum payments on a layaway telescope.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Demon Of The Fall posted:

NASA’s poo poo always lasts way longer than planned, I bet this thing is still operational after 10 years somehow, which will be cool

the expected operation is 4 years which is how much time it will need to get all the most important photos taken. its expected lifetime is about 8 years because that's how much propellant it has on board to keep it oriented correctly / in L2. unfortunately because it depends on actual propellant to stay in its orbit there's no real room for the stellar nasa engineering to keep it operational for way longer than expected

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

this thing is so dang cool what a great christmas present

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

God, I hope everything goes perfectly.
The hubble deep field is one of my favorite things ever; every time I see it, I get a little blast of complete awe.
NASAs astronomical picture of the day was one of my routine daily site checks for donkeys years :allears:

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

why james webb have such EoL? 5 years? Planned Obsolescence in the satellite industry? what are they hiding?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The aliums obviously

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

poo poo my sony trinitron is still working!

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Nasa can gently caress off until they make Pluto a planet again.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Klyith posted:

A thing to know is that a small part of why it cost so much is because congress didn't give it enough funding. It went over budget, and then rather than increasing the funding -- as they'd do for something important like a fighter jet that catches on fire randomly -- they made cuts to NASA's budget instead.

NASA has spent 10s of millions just on storage costs. Parts have needed to be replaced due to sitting around too long.

Congress literally took lessons from the Zaurg School of Finance and made minimum payments on a layaway telescope.

Starting to think the "gently caress you got mine" body isn't very good at its supposed job. :thunk:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Anyways hype to find cool stuff.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

PIZZA.BAT posted:

the expected operation is 4 years which is how much time it will need to get all the most important photos taken. its expected lifetime is about 8 years because that's how much propellant it has on board to keep it oriented correctly / in L2. unfortunately because it depends on actual propellant to stay in its orbit there's no real room for the stellar nasa engineering to keep it operational for way longer than expected
https://jwst.nasa.gov/content/about/faqs/faqLite.html

quote:

Webb's mission lifetime after launch is designed to be at least 5-1/2 years, and could last longer than 10 years. The lifetime is limited by the amount of fuel used for maintaining the orbit, and by the possibility that Webb’s components will degrade over time in the harsh environment of space.

The fuel part is so uncertain because
1) The place they're putting it is unstable and very hard to simulate, so long-term predictions of how much fuel it needs over time are difficult.
2) Different things that the JWST could be taking pictures of will change how quickly it uses fuel. Every new thing it points at represents a tiny amount of fuel used. Nearby things like exoplanets or proto-stars or whatever are faster pictures to take, while looking at the farthest oldest stars is a really long exposure. If we end up taking more pics of close stuff it'll use up the fuel faster, but we still get the same total number of pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
yay it didn't blow up yet!

i was hoping it might be possible to refuel it with a robot mission somehow :/