Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Namtab posted:

I chose to step down. I got a look behind the curtain, what its like to have the target on your back and I wasn't able to handle the feeling. I felt an actual wave of relief when i posted that i wanted to step down.

I think that i was very uncharitable and kind of an rear end in a top hat to fluffdaddy on Saturday when the issue of adtrw moderation came up, but he had my back when I needed it. He has my backing here.

I'm going to take a break for a little while to clear my head, but im not leaving the forums and i will be back.

Thanks everyone.

that sucks to hear dude. stay strong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

moonmazed posted:

just close qcs for the love of god

sometimes it does feel like questions, concern trolling, and suggestions I agree

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Jagged Jim posted:

How on earth did you come to this conclusion? Have you never posted here before?

i use very few subforums and very few threads, i probably have less than 20 threads bookmarked. i had literally never seen forums drama on SA before the current arc

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

So, what the gently caress is going on? As much as possible without naming names, can we get some sort of framework or example on how mods are getting targeted?

This is absurd.
the made in abyss thread was very bad, some guys made shitposts in the thread about it, they got jumpbanned, the thread was actually bad fair call, bans got rescinded, qcs turned into a drama fire over multiple days over whether people who posted in the mia thread should be banned and which ones, with basically every possible decision getting people yelled at one way or the other.

Fluffdaddy posted:

I am not a monolith, nor do I own this site. The reason I tell people to message Jeff is because at the end of the day, he owns the place and should be making the decision of who needs to go permanently.

Trust, if it were up to me and me alone, I would have zero hesitation. But its not up to just me.
i mean, being honest, if its making it harder to run the site or recruit people to run it surely jeff should be open to some kind of changes in terms of how drama gets resolved around here.

like at the very least imo i think qcs should just be something where only the op and mods/admins can post in a thread. i dont think every thread about an issue needs 500 posts of commentary or branching, somewhat related drama, and it wouldnt really prevent people's ability to call stuff out at all. if anything itd probably help since as it is now its easy for ancillary stuff to get brought up in a thread midstream and get ignored because everyones mostly focused on the main issue. this feels like a change even jeff would be on board with.

marumaru posted:

i use very few subforums and very few threads, i probably have less than 20 threads bookmarked. i had literally never seen forums drama on SA before the current arc
i applaud you for somehow missing the vtuber thing

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Nyoro posted:

sometimes it does feel like questions, concern trolling, and suggestions I agree

on the other hand,

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Endorph posted:

i mean... why

you guys have buttons. you can just press them. you could make this entire website a made in abyss fansite if you wanted. nobody could stop you.

obviously you should take peoples feedback on what gets done around here and i dont disagree at all with blamming the mia thread but just speaking generally here, why is there so much of an air of inmates running the asylum or 'i just cant do anything about it!!' like i dont understand the philosophy that leads to that kind of attitude. you dont have to let qcs be a free for all. you can fix it quite easily. you keep complaining about this and then doing literally nothing to try and change it.

turns out a bitcoin millionaire who's obsessed enough with a dying internet forum to drop big figgies on it isn't actually a good community manager or a good site owner

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Endorph posted:

if they want to make money off sa just go full into the chaos and let people pay 50 bucks to ban anyone they dont like. 500 bucks for a permaban. theyd be millionaires.

SA poster hurt and heal thread. 10 dollars per post

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

symbolic posted:

on the other hand,

oh made in abyss is trash, I don't think there's any debate there

i don't think the mods of SA created it though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

SA poster hurt and heal thread. 10 dollars per post
im having vague gaia online flashbacks

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Nyoro posted:

I might as well had. I was called not only a pedophile, but that I hate my own race as well. Like what the gently caress?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

So, what the gently caress is going on? As much as possible without naming names, can we get some sort of framework or example on how mods are getting targeted?

This is absurd.

The QCS posting clique is the long and the short. People who are actively aggressive about pursuing and punishing thought crimes and running out anyone who does them or their favorite posters wrong. They'll toe the line as closely as possible to the rules and even overstep them from time to time fully knowing they'll never eat a Perma after being banned any number of times. A lot of them also post in CSPAM

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the ideal SA mod is a person with the mental fortitude to know that someone is complaining about you in qcs and then not click on the thread

this kind of mentality is extremely rare

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

i literally only know that there was a vtuber thread, there's no vtuber thread anymore, and people post extremely unfunny and cringy videos of adults doing impressions of anime voice actors while they play videogames in this thread :v:

i was probably around itt at the time of that drama but my brain just shuts off when the v word shows up on screen

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Fluffdaddy posted:

I am not a monolith, nor do I own this site. The reason I tell people to message Jeff is because at the end of the day, he owns the place and should be making the decision of who needs to go permanently.

Trust, if it were up to me and me alone, I would have zero hesitation. But its not up to just me.

Jeff should set out clear guidelines and processes then which other admins, then mods and IKs can follow without the need to defer to Jeff constantly and flounder around worrying about overstepping the mark. I get trying to not step on anyone's toes but being too hands off leads to situations like this.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Nyoro posted:

no, no, you're supposed to go "lol"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fluffdaddy posted:

I might as well had. I was called not only a pedophile, but that I hate my own race as well. Like what the gently caress?

That seems like something that should be deserving of a ban if a poster is slinging that

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The problem is that the people most dedicated to forums drama are absolutely not the people who should be involved in forums drama.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

That seems like something that should be deserving of a ban if a poster is slinging that

You would think

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

what does race have to do with made in abyss

E: don't tell me i don't wanna know

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Jeff should set out clear guidelines and processes then which other admins, then mods and IKs can follow without the need to defer to Jeff constantly and flounder around worrying about overstepping the mark. I get trying to not step on anyone's toes but being too hands off leads to situations like this.

Jeff either doesn't care or is too cautious in making more strict rules about some of this. He also thinks some of the more problematic people are funny.

ADTRW isn't the first subforum to lose a mod over QCS getting snippy about some thing or another too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

what does race have to do with made in abyss

E: don't tell me i don't wanna know

nothing fluffdaddy's just black (iirc, apologize if i got that wrong) and for some reason someone wanted to throw that in there because they were mad at him

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I agree, Jeff should do literally anything related to the site

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Endorph posted:

the made in abyss thread was very bad, some guys made shitposts in the thread about it, they got jumpbanned, the thread was actually bad fair call, bans got rescinded, qcs turned into a drama fire over multiple days over whether people who posted in the mia thread should be banned and which ones, with basically every possible decision getting people yelled at one way or the other.

i mean, being honest, if its making it harder to run the site or recruit people to run it surely jeff should be open to some kind of changes in terms of how drama gets resolved around here.

like at the very least imo i think qcs should just be something where only the op and mods/admins can post in a thread. i dont think every thread about an issue needs 500 posts of commentary or branching, somewhat related drama, and it wouldnt really prevent people's ability to call stuff out at all. if anything itd probably help since as it is now its easy for ancillary stuff to get brought up in a thread midstream and get ignored because everyones mostly focused on the main issue. this feels like a change even jeff would be on board with.

I 100% agree, while its good in theory to have something like QCS to publicly petition to redress grievances it's been abused to hell and back. Whenever I've felt like I've had an issue with a moderator's decision and thought about posting a QCS thread I always decided hell no it's not worth the hassle of having dozens of people flocking to the thread like vultures.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Endorph posted:

nothing fluffdaddy's just black (iirc, apologize if i got that wrong) and for some reason someone wanted to throw that in there because they were mad at him

lol

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

symbolic posted:

on the other hand,

were we like in between mods or something because i definitely just assumed those posts got blammed at some point, plus a mod never closed it, dog did

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

ImpAtom posted:

The problem is that the people most dedicated to forums drama are absolutely not the people who should be involved in forums drama.

Then, maybe I should be the mod since I honestly don't care about any of this and would probably just probe people for walking a step out of line and move on.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There needs to be a public venue to voice concerns about the forums, but QCS in its current form is a terrible way to do that.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Arist posted:

There needs to be a public venue to voice concerns about the forums, but QCS in its current form is a terrible way to do that.

Individual subforum feedback threads is the best way to do this. I will keep pushing for it until it happens. But again, I am not a monolith.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

cheetah7071 posted:

the ideal SA mod is a person with the mental fortitude to know that someone is complaining about you in qcs and then not click on the thread

this kind of mentality is extremely rare

I never go to QCS so clearly I'm the best for the job.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I 100% agree, while its good in theory to have something like QCS to publicly petition to redress grievances it's been abused to hell and back. Whenever I've felt like I've had an issue with a moderator's decision and thought about posting a QCS thread I always decided hell no it's not worth the hassle of having dozens of people flocking to the thread like vultures.

The big problem is that it's basically been abused by people with an axe to grind and have more than enough time and numbers to harass any mod or admin to get their way knowing full well that they'll get a slap on the wrist in the end and no lasting punishment, even after pattern after pattern emerges.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

im sorry your first day on the job blew rear end namtab and u resigned, i hope u can take some time off to refresh and stuff :(

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Anyways, SA is gonna die a slow death if you just try to rely on hoping you can find mods who are okay with things the way they are. Structural changes of some kind are needed. While user feedback is valuable, and this whole thing was kicked off by people who were right (the initial bans were bad), there's a subset of the QCS population that immediately smell blood in the water and chase the high of nailing the bad guys, without putting any particular thought into who or what they go after. Whether the structural changes are technical or in how qcs is handled manually doesn't really matter. But the status quo is that, in three years, SA will have no mods left.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

I Am Fowl posted:

I never go to QCS so clearly I'm the best for the job.

i only found out what QCS is because it's being posted in this page a lot
you may have a bachelor's degree but i have a master's, kiddo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fluffdaddy posted:

Individual subforum feedback threads is the best way to do this. I will keep pushing for it until it happens. But again, I am not a monolith.
i dont think that would really work, thosed just get rushed into whenever there's a problem with an individual subforum, and then those people would leak out into other threads on said subforum.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Anyways, SA is gonna die a slow death if you just try to rely on hoping you can find mods who are okay with things the way they are. Structural changes of some kind are needed. While user feedback is valuable, and this whole thing was kicked off by people who were right (the initial bans were bad), there's a subset of the QCS population that immediately smell blood in the water and chase the high of nailing the bad guys, without putting any particular thought into who or what they go after. Whether the structural changes are technical or in how qcs is handled manually doesn't really matter. But the status quo is that, in three years, SA will have no mods left.

well from what I understand Jeff doesn't care, is the thing. I would imagine also that ADTRW is the least of his cares, probably

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Nyoro posted:

well from what I understand Jeff doesn't care, is the thing. I would imagine also that ADTRW is the least of his cares, probably

It's not like this is a problem unique to ADTRW.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

another clueless marumaru question: are the people complaining about ADTRW modding actually ADTRW posters or concern trolls? i dont think i want to trudge through 900 pages of QCS posts to find out

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

i dont think that would really work, thosed just get rushed into whenever there's a problem with an individual subforum, and then those people would leak out into other threads on said subforum.

My other idea to supplement it is to ban anyone coming in to be an rear end in a top hat. But not by the mod of that sub, but another Admin. Like if there was a TFF feedback and someone came in to call the TFF mods baby killers or pedos or whatever, I would ban them.

Or if it were an anime one, I would have another admin handling any probations while we discussed feedback like normal adults.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Fluffdaddy posted:

the last ADTRW feedback thread didn't exactly go great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

marumaru posted:

another clueless marumaru question: are the people complaining about ADTRW modding actually ADTRW posters or concern trolls? i dont think i want to trudge through 900 pages of QCS posts to find out

What do you think