Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Compared to what? The original Blackwidow was a great keyboard at the time, and there are scattered across the ages a very small handful of mice that are on either side of, 'OK'. Their software has always been dogshit, and compared to actual quality manufacturers of components, most of there stuff has been about as good as their software.

I could rag on about build quality, their cheap construction on the mice and their cost cutting on keyboards, but an example probably works better:

Observe the stabilizers from these keyboards. The top two use soldered on 'placed' stabilizers. They are more expensive, but they don't break, they are easier to deal with when you remove keycaps for cleaning, and they are substantially more balanced. The bottom one is the Razer solution. It's little piece of metal that distributes the weight across the key sorta kinda evenly. It still wobbles a bit, it's a pain in the rear end to deal with if you remove keycaps, and since it's hooked into a plastic mold, it's pretty easy to break. But it's cheaper!

Actual premium manufacturers do not use that cheap poo poo. They have soldered on solutions. This would include Code, Ducky, HH, Vortex, and a slew of others. Cheaper manufacturers use the cheaper solution, and Razer isn't alone here, but it is on the list.

This is one example, but this same philosophy extends to way more then just key stabilizers. Most of the stuff they do is to cut costs, not to create a great product.

This thread has a lot of people who recommend Razer, but it's from an anecdotal experience, not actually examining the offerings available. Since I'm on a bit of a rant, also avoid Steelseries like the plague. I haven't been in the business of evaluating hardware for awhile, but Steelseries has always built super cheap crap.

Where were you like two weeks ago when I was asking for good mice manufacturers?... My last two mice were a logitech and a steelseries, and both crapped out much earlier than I'd like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Observe the stabilizers from these keyboards. The top two use soldered on 'placed' stabilizers. They are more expensive, but they don't break, they are easier to deal with when you remove keycaps for cleaning, and they are substantially more balanced. The bottom one is the Razer solution. It's little piece of metal that distributes the weight across the key sorta kinda evenly. It still wobbles a bit, it's a pain in the rear end to deal with if you remove keycaps, and since it's hooked into a plastic mold, it's pretty easy to break. But it's cheaper!

This is 100% wrong.

a. None of these stabilizers are soldered on to anything. They attach to the backplate with some type of clip. If they were soldered on they'd be worse -- any keybaord that is using the PCB & solder for structural support is trash.

b. The wire stabilizers seen on that razer board, frequently called costar-style, are not strictly inferior. Some people (I'm among them) prefer them. The biggest advantage is that they have the least change to the feel of the switch, because they have the least amount of additional plastic friction. They're "snappy".

IMO they have just as much up-down stabilization as cherry. That is, if I put my thumb on the far end of the spacebar, it feels fine to press the key. It's less secure on in the directions parallel to the plate, so yeah you can grab the key and make it wobble. But that's dumb -- in operation, you press up-down and not side to side.

They are a pain in the rear end to swap keycaps on. This is pretty irrelevant to most people. Swapping keycaps is something a non-hobbyist might do once ever. Or once every 4 years to give it a good cleaning.

I don't know that they're cheaper -- the fact that super price-conscious brands like cooler master have always used cherry-style stabilizers makes me think they aren't. Possibly material cost is lower but labor cost is higher since they're fiddly to install.

c. Current razer keybs are using the same style as everyone else.

(This is not an endorsement of razer anything -- I've never used razer mice and likely never will.)

Klyith fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 10, 2022

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Actual premium manufacturers do not use that cheap poo poo. They have soldered on solutions. This would include Code, Ducky, HH, Vortex, and a slew of others. Cheaper manufacturers use the cheaper solution, and Razer isn't alone here, but it is on the list.
In particular, the huntsman v2/tkl line is solid. It offers a switch the enthusiast market doesn't even have - high actuation point silenced linear. And it's optical. They put a stabilizer on every single key which is... not a good choice and doesn't really help anything but it's how their optical switch is designed. It certainly has a number of drawbacks, but outside of insane rattle on the spacebar that lube solves without disassembly, it's on par with most entry level plate mount keyboards.

I wouldn't have bought a blackwidow because it wasn't competitive with leopold, filco at the time. I don't think razer keyboards stand out as winning any price point, but they're no worse than other entry level offerings. It's always going to come down to which features people want or don't want.

I could rag on about build quality, their cheap construction on the mice and their cost cutting on keyboards, but an example probably works better

This is one example, but this same philosophy extends to way more then just key stabilizers. Most of the stuff they do is to cut costs, not to create a great product.

This thread has a lot of people who recommend Razer, but it's from an anecdotal experience, not actually examining the offerings available. Since I'm on a bit of a rant, also avoid Steelseries like the plague. I haven't been in the business of evaluating hardware for awhile, but Steelseries has always built super cheap crap.
In the mouse market they've been creating competitive products the past few years. The updated viper line and the orochi v2 have no worse build quality than other enthusiast mouse manufacturers. They have competitive feature sets and shapes people like.

Razer made trash products for well over a decade, but the past few years they've started to make decent things. My only real complaint about them lately is their higher end products cost too much when not on sale. I don't know who's buying the latest viper at $150-$160 when a gpx is $125 or the huntsman v2 tkl for $160 when something like a gmmk is $80-$120.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 10, 2022

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

I guess a wire stabilizer is a preference, but it is my opinion that said stabilizer is a preference in the same way the mech vs rubber dome switches are. It's good to see their modern keyboards are not as cheaply built.

quote:

In the mouse market they've been creating competitive products the past few years

I can't speak to their most current stuff, but as much as I want to believe they are doing better, but their historical performance makes it a tough sell.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Deathadder mini v2 is on sale for $15 on Amazon right now (all time low according to ccc). I picked one up for a backup.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
is razer still the only company making a mouse switch that isn't destined for failure on low power allowances? that's the key for me. i wish someone else would come up with their own

while i'm here i wish for a 75g g502 (leave out the fancy wheel if needed) as well

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

A few other companies have optical switches now (e.g. Roccat, Steelseries) but AFAIK nobody else is using the specific parts that Razer does

The Steelseries opticals in particular seem very polarising, they're heavier and louder than most switches

Khorne
May 1, 2002

emdash posted:

is razer still the only company making a mouse switch that isn't destined for failure on low power allowances? that's the key for me. i wish someone else would come up with their own

while i'm here i wish for a 75g g502 (leave out the fancy wheel if needed) as well
the gpro x superlight uses a different omron switch that seems more durable to me, but I could have just gotten lucky

Some manufacturers are using kailh switches which perform well at low power. I replaced my g703 switches that failed with kailh 4.0s and they didn't fail after a few years of use. I would use 8.0s now, but they weren't out back then.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Yo, I'm looking for a good mouse and wouldn't mind some recommendations. I have enormous hands, right handed, palm grip, swapping between macOS for work and Windows for games. I loved the Razer Deathadder and then Naga back in the day in terms of shape, but the software really sucked and I found they worn out pretty quick. I'm currently using a Logitech G900 but it's getting pretty ratted up

I hate the following things about my current mouse:
- quite flat - with that and the length it wants to be at my fingertips rather than my palm
- ambidextrous
- even though it's wireless i basically use it plugged in all the time because otherwise it's never charged
But things I like:
- on-device diallable sensitivity
- the wireless is pretty good when I use it
- unlockable scroll wheel

Happy to get something that dials in what I'm looking for but also happy to get some off the wall suggestions, too. What's up with trackballs, are vertical mice any good? Anything under like $400 is fine

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

chaosbreather posted:

Yo, I'm looking for a good mouse and wouldn't mind some recommendations. I have enormous hands, right handed, palm grip, swapping between macOS for work and Windows for games. I loved the Razer Deathadder and then Naga back in the day in terms of shape, but the software really sucked and I found they worn out pretty quick. I'm currently using a Logitech G900 but it's getting pretty ratted up

- quite flat - with that and the length it wants to be at my fingertips rather than my palm
- ambidextrous
- even though it's wireless i basically use it plugged in all the time because otherwise it's never charged
But things I like:

Happy to get something that dials in what I'm looking for but also happy to get some off the wall suggestions, too. What's up with trackballs, are vertical mice any good? Anything under like $400 is fine

When you say "unlockable scroll wheel" do you mean with a button push it goes between free-spin and ratcheted? Far as I know that is Logitech only.

Most mice above oh 50 bucks have a DPI button on them, so that is almost universal now a days.

For wireless, how long the battery will last will depend on a) how much you use it (and at what polling rate), and if it has a power-saving mode or not. Some Logitech models can go a month or two off a couple of AA batteries. Downside is the switches weren't made for low power so they start to fail generally around the year mark.

I think most Razer and Logitech mice now a days, well the middle to higher-end ones, have on-board memory. So you can set a profile how you want, save it to the mouse, and then not have to touch their software again, usually. If the mouse is reset or something weird happens you might have to up the profiles again.

Best bet is probably to go to an actual store and get hands-on with the display models to see what fits your hand best. You can order a bunch from Amazon and return the ones you don't want (easy or not depending on if there is a return location near you) as well. Best Buy is about the last physical store around now a days. Maybe a Walmart, as some have a decent-ish selection of PC Gaming stuff.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Koskun posted:

When you say "unlockable scroll wheel" do you mean with a button push it goes between free-spin and ratcheted? Far as I know that is Logitech only.

Most mice above oh 50 bucks have a DPI button on them, so that is almost universal now a days.

For wireless, how long the battery will last will depend on a) how much you use it (and at what polling rate), and if it has a power-saving mode or not. Some Logitech models can go a month or two off a couple of AA batteries. Downside is the switches weren't made for low power so they start to fail generally around the year mark.

I think most Razer and Logitech mice now a days, well the middle to higher-end ones, have on-board memory. So you can set a profile how you want, save it to the mouse, and then not have to touch their software again, usually. If the mouse is reset or something weird happens you might have to up the profiles again.

Best bet is probably to go to an actual store and get hands-on with the display models to see what fits your hand best. You can order a bunch from Amazon and return the ones you don't want (easy or not depending on if there is a return location near you) as well. Best Buy is about the last physical store around now a days. Maybe a Walmart, as some have a decent-ish selection of PC Gaming stuff.

I've seen some wireless charging mousepads and some docking stations that both seem like good alternatives to my 'technically wireless' issue, any thoughts on those?

I'm in Sydney, Australia, so no Walmarts or Best Buys or Dick's Sporting Goods, unfortunately.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
The razer basilisk (v3 at least) has the free scrolling/notched wheel toggle now too

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The switch between free spin and ratcheted is one of the most underwhelming aspects of my logitech mouse. I had more love for my ancient mouse’s gimmick of customizable weight.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I'm basically married to Logitech mice because of the scroll wheel convenience at this point. I picked up the charging mousepad for my G903 a couple weeks back and it seems to be functioning as advertised, though the mousepad is kind of overpriced - I don't remember the exact cost of the mouse but I'm pretty sure I ended up paying more than that for the mousepad.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

chaosbreather posted:

- ambidextrous
But things I like:

I've been pretty happy with the G502 wireless since it's got good wireless (the lightspeed stuff is pretty amazing in the logitech mice), it has the free scroll toggle wheel thing you like, and it's fairly big. I have two of them I use with two computers at my desk. There's also the similarly shaped G604 which has a slightly higher hump in it and uses a AA battery instead of a lipo, but they're similar in length. The G604 has some more thumb buttons but I'm not in love with the placement for six buttons. There's a lot of complaints about Logitech switches dying early at the lower voltage that these mice use but mine's been okay so far after about 8 months. It's got a two year warranty but if it has issues after that I'll put in new switches myself since I'm not afraid of a little soldering.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Vegetable posted:

The switch between free spin and ratcheted is one of the most underwhelming aspects of my logitech mouse. I had more love for my ancient mouse’s gimmick of customizable weight.

Interesting, I feel the exact opposite, for my day to day desktop use the switchable wheel is something I'm not willing to give up. I find myself scrolling through pages of content regularly and being able to unlock the wheel and give it a spin is quite nice. When I had a mouse with adjustable weights I just kept it maxed out.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Canna Happy posted:

Deathadder mini v2 is on sale for $15 on Amazon right now (all time low according to ccc). I picked one up for a backup.

I had this on my wishlist for a while to keep an eye on it. My Logitech G203 started double-clicking after like 6 months and the scroll wheel is getting pretty fucky now too, so I jumped on this with a giftcard.

I'll be pleased to have anything else at this point, but these seem like they have a similar size/feel? I'd be happy with the G203 if it wasn't disintegrating.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

K8.0 posted:

They all have onboard storage. There are literally no mice where it works properly.

Works great on my pwnage mouse (yes I know terrible name).

I haven't opened the software once since I bought it ages ago and have never had a single issue. I set the DPI, turned off all the LED's (except charge indicators) and that's it. The mouse is slightly smaller than I'd prefer but in every aspect it has been fantastic. If you're looking for something that won't give you any problems, I'd take a look. It was explicitly designed to be modular and repairable so even if a switch craps out I'll just be out a couple bucks and an hour of soldering.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

logitech mice w/ onboard mouse manager (not GHUB) have worked as expected for me and I don't think I've had a single major issue

GHUB is of course a garbage fire and has bugs that glitch out mouse control in the middle of play lol

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

comedyblissoption posted:

GHUB is of course a garbage fire and has bugs that glitch out mouse control in the middle of play lol

One of the funny surprises I had after moving to Linux was just how much better the open source mouse control software was.

It's super clean and lightweight, and it can be invoked via command line for automation, so I just have two desktop shortcuts that run something like "ratbag mouse1 --set-profile 0/1/whatever", give them a hotkey, and switch profiles with a keypress (or button press)

I guess it lacks automatic game detection and profile switching, but I always hated having to janitor that feature in official software considering I always had 3 profiles at the most (desktop, shooters, other games).

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I've been using GHub for a couple years now and it seems okay, though I still wouldn't call it great. Used to be there would be random script error dialog boxes popping up occasionally but they seem to have ironed that out at some point because I haven't seen one for a long time.

Whenever I reboot for a Windows update it'll usually pop up a window excitedly explaining all the games and hardware GHub was updated to support which gets a big yawn from me since I don't have any of that stuff anyways. Think it did push a firmware update to my mousepad when I first plugged it in real quick though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
edit: whoops, wrong thread.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 13, 2022

Khorne
May 1, 2002

isndl posted:

I've been using GHub for a couple years now and it seems okay, though I still wouldn't call it great. Used to be there would be random script error dialog boxes popping up occasionally but they seem to have ironed that out at some point because I haven't seen one for a long time.

Whenever I reboot for a Windows update it'll usually pop up a window excitedly explaining all the games and hardware GHub was updated to support which gets a big yawn from me since I don't have any of that stuff anyways. Think it did push a firmware update to my mousepad when I first plugged it in real quick though.
ghub is okay except when you go to onboard mode, then you ponder who coded this, who designed this ui, who qa'd this, who approved this for release, and who decided to not patch this asap for years

there's also a ?firmware? bug where if you use a dpi setting other than the first the mouse resets to the first dpi setting after waking up from sleep. This happens with my gpro x superlight so I use onboard manager to change the first dpi setting every time I want a different dpi. Onboard Manager is simple and effective.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 13, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Khorne posted:

ghub is okay except when you go to onboard mode, then you ponder who coded this, who qa'd this, who approved this for release, and who decided to not patch this asap for years

and the ui is just awful. basic stuff is mostly okay, but many functions that should be straightforward are hard to find.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Heya, was told this was the place to ask for mouse advice.

I've just gotten a new PC and til now I was using the keyboard/mouse that came with my old PC but they're starting to fail (right click works only half the time) so I was thinking to find new stuff to compliment my PC.

I know jackshit about mouses, all I can say is I'd like one around 40-60€ if possible, good for bigass hands and maybe some extra buttons for games? I'm fine with whatever as long as it's functional. Thanks in advance.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I've just gotten a new PC and til now I was using the keyboard/mouse that came with my old PC but they're starting to fail (right click works only half the time) so I was thinking to find new stuff to compliment my PC.

I know jackshit about mouses, all I can say is I'd like one around 40-60€ if possible, good for bigass hands and maybe some extra buttons for games? I'm fine with whatever as long as it's functional. Thanks in advance.

I would suggest a Logitech MX Master 2.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I recommend you read some of rocketjumpninja's website to get an idea for how mouse sizes and ergonomics vary per mouse, but a tentative cheap but very nice and capable suggestion from me would be the razor viper mini. I like smaller mice it has a similar curve to the logitech g305 which I enjoyed but didn't enjoy having to feed batteries. It is *very* budget right now retailing around $25 and it's only like real concessions to being an old design are it's wired not wireless.

Big hands don't necessarily imply you need a big mouse but that's also why I'd suggest ordering a few candidates and picking your favorite. Is there a particular design you've already used you enjoy?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I should learn to read

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

I recommend you read some of rocketjumpninja's website to get an idea for how mouse sizes and ergonomics vary per mouse, but a tentative cheap but very nice and capable suggestion from me would be the razor viper mini. I like smaller mice it has a similar curve to the logitech g305 which I enjoyed but didn't enjoy having to feed batteries. It is *very* budget right now retailing around $25 and it's only like real concessions to being an old design are it's wired not wireless.

Big hands don't necessarily imply you need a big mouse but that's also why I'd suggest ordering a few candidates and picking your favorite. Is there a particular design you've already used you enjoy?

Hey, thanks for the answer. The Razor Viper mini looks great for what I was looking for, and being wired is a plus for me! (I've had terrible experiences with wireless accesories).

On the topic of ergonomics, until now I've been using the Acer mouse that came with my old PC and it's been good, never felt uncomfortable to use. Meanwhile I have another mouse I use for my wotk laptop that's smaller and it's actually less comfortable, that's why I mentioned that.

That said measuring my current mouse the Viper is bigger with a slightly narrower grip on the middle, so it sounds good at first glance!

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I've got a Razer Viper with a charging dock, which worked great a pretty long time, but now doesn't make a solid connection with the dock. When the mouse is sitting on the dock, it doesn't charge unless I put something heavy up against the back edge of the mouse to 'lift' it up against the pins. If not, it stays on the pins but I guess the pins aren't contacting the mouse's charging things.

Any ideas about how I could fix this?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Detail what you've done to clean the contact points

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I went back a few pages in the thread and it looks like Glorious mice aren't discussed very often, so I thought I'd share my brief review of the wireless model O.

The mouse is great. The software is utter garbage.

First of all, you install it (Glorious Core) by downloading a zip file, then running an executable that Windows says isn't safe. Then it says that new firmware is available, but when I try to install it I get an error message that either says that it failed without saying why, or is saying that my mouse isn't connected when it is. I kill the process, restart Core and try again; this time it seems to work but the progress bar goes to 150% and Core softlocks. I kill the process again and now it's back to not working.

Reading up on the web, it seems that a) Core has had firmware problems since pretty much forever and not much has changed since and b) apparently the "150%" bug is a visual glitch (that softlocks Core) but the firmware is actually properly installed and the "update failed" glitch means that my firmware is up to date, so it's all good, despite appearances.

Hopefully I won't have to fiddle too much with the software in the future.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Truly the master race.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

CordlessPen posted:

I went back a few pages in the thread and it looks like Glorious mice aren't discussed very often, so I thought I'd share my brief review of the wireless model O.

The mouse is great. The software is utter garbage.

So it's just like Razer and Logitech then?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

codo27 posted:

Detail what you've done to clean the contact points

Q-tip with alcohol

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Q-tip with alcohol

Can confirm that this works

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Eric the Mauve posted:

So it's just like Razer and Logitech then?

Actually Glorious Core sucks so much that it makes me wish for G Hub...

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

CordlessPen posted:

Actually Glorious Core sucks so much that it makes me wish for G Hub...

Glorious Core makes more bricks than actual brickmakers. They are a tie with HyperX's software which I hope will get better now that HP owns them.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

TacticalHoodie posted:

I hope will get better now that HP owns them.

Are you mad? HP is complete and utter cow manure, especially as it relates to software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

codo27 posted:

Are you mad? HP is complete and utter cow manure, especially as it relates to software.

This is very true. However to my knowledge they never put in an uninstallable, unable to be turned off, bitcoin miner with their software like Razer did.

Edit - I don't believe it is installed anymore, and I'm not even sure if it is an option now, as I finally purged my last Razer component months ago.