Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Thank you.
...and bought.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Omobono posted:

I'm liking the supports, but I still have some misgivings at everyone, and I mean everyone, staring at their interlocutor's chest and/or abs. Not that I don't understand but faces and eyes are further upwards you know?

I'm not imagining it right? They did accidentally put the focus point for the models' eyes too low during a lot of conversations

Yeah, once I noticed it it's pretty hilarious every time a conversation is framed waist-up, the eyelines are a little suspect...

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Clawtopsy posted:

But there was no way they were going to make the cover lord non-marriageable if you picked Boyleth.

this is mostly besides the edelgard point you're making aside from generally reinforcing the het of it all, but worth noting that they in fact made a cover lord of this game non-marriageable for Boyleth. twice, even.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Valentin posted:

this is mostly besides the edelgard point you're making aside from generally reinforcing the het of it all, but worth noting that they in fact made a cover lord of this game non-marriageable for Boyleth. twice, even.

I think to continue the het themes here, it would be more akin to saying "likewise they wouldn't have allowed Claude/Dimitri to not marry Bylass".

In Scarlet Blaze, I've found there is a story divergence where if you do not recruit Byleth, Claude betrays you at Aeleil which significantly alters the mission. If you recruit Byleth, he doesn't double-cross you. Is there a comparable consequence for Azure Gleam or Golden Wildfire? Is there any likewise unique followup apart from losing Rodrigue/Judith in place of Randolph, respectively?

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 12, 2022

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Hargrimm posted:

Yeah, once I noticed it it's pretty hilarious every time a conversation is framed waist-up, the eyelines are a little suspect...

I thought maybe it's because ManShez is shorter but I think they're the same height.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oh wow, I didn’t realize that there was an option for Claude not to betray you, it just seemed like something he would do naturally. That’s a pretty cool divergence, now I wonder what else is out there too.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
so how does that work with the record keeper then?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Finally finished Scarlet Blaze, and after some deliberation I think I'm gonna run it again on Maddening before going to other routes.

Regarding Arval like others have said their story seems incomplete but I can't really bring myself to give a poo poo about them so whatever.

Also, just gonna get this out of my system:

EPIMENIDES NUTZ

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Clawtopsy posted:

In Scarlet Blaze, I've found there is a story divergence where if you do not recruit Byleth, Claude betrays you at Aeleil which significantly alters the mission. If you recruit Byleth, he doesn't double-cross you. Is there a comparable consequence for Azure Gleam or Golden Wildfire? Is there any likewise unique followup apart from losing Rodrigue/Judith in place of Randolph, respectively?

There is not, no. Each route gets a unique FMV of a tragic death, and a handful of lines in camp are altered to reflect this. You get the cutscene of Byleth submitting to Sothis, they show up at the end of chapter 14, you kill them, Arval is happy about it, and no Zahras interlude. These scenes are the exact same on all three routes. Only on Scarlet Blaze does Byleth think to affect the plot.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Tired Moritz posted:

so how does that work with the record keeper then?

They are separate maps. No matter what route you take, on CH14 there will be a missing map.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
wtf, this is black eagles discrimination again!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

An adventure mode would be easy. Just show the whole map and every area sub area that's available for each of the 3 sides and let us go hog wild.

I know record keeper does that, kind of, but it's all in text in menus where a world map completely opened with all 3 sides and you go wherever would be pretty nice.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I just want them to bring back stuff like the "Rack up KOs" missions

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would play the poo poo out of Fire Emblem Warriors: Empires.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

There is not, no. Each route gets a unique FMV of a tragic death, and a handful of lines in camp are altered to reflect this. You get the cutscene of Byleth submitting to Sothis, they show up at the end of chapter 14, you kill them, Arval is happy about it, and no Zahras interlude. These scenes are the exact same on all three routes. Only on Scarlet Blaze does Byleth think to affect the plot.

“The outcome of this mission will severely alter the story*”

“*in Scarlet Blaze suck it other losers”

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Clawtopsy posted:

“The outcome of this mission will severely alter the story*”

“*in Scarlet Blaze suck it other losers”

As befits all enemies of Lady Edelgard.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I always assume when a Japanese game tells me that my decision will affect the story it's lying to me anyway

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

unlike western games, like walking dead or mass effect 3

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Yeah I know there's at least one paralogue I missed from flubbing picking up Byleth on a playthrough but I think I'm pretty done with this until DLC unless redoing a route you've already done lets you interact with your "Other" roster in a meaningful way

Yeah story/supports is def. The Draw for this game, I just miss having replayability that actually felt like there was a reason for replaying it

As far as I know, only one Renown character can actually be used in the story, only for one battle, and only by fulfilling a very particular set of circumstances. You must have Arval unlocked on a run where you also kill Byleth, and that unlocks a paralogue later on where the only usable playable character (until you beat it) is Arval.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

ImpAtom posted:

I would play the poo poo out of Fire Emblem Warriors: Empires.

That's always been my favourite iteration of Dynasty Warriors. A randomized dynamic campaign with all the different Three House characters would be awesome

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Edelgard may or may not have done anything wrong, as the RNG decides.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

DarkAvenger211 posted:

That's always been my favourite iteration of Dynasty Warriors. A randomized dynamic campaign with all the different Three House characters would be awesome

God, now I’m imaging doing a randomised campaign as Constance taking over the land IN THE NAME OF HOUSE NUVELLE! I didn’t touch the DLC so this is my first time having any meaningful interaction with the DLC characters but I loving love Constance. It also helps that her in Gremory + Essence of Light pretty much makes her a walking death machine with orbital light lasers shooting down from the skies while she laughs manically (if she is in shade mode).

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Randomized would be a trip. Hubert declaring 'for lady edelgard' while invading her lands and laying waste to her armies.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
The thing is, Three Hopes is very much 'Empires, but with a plot'. Or possibly the build up mode from 7 and 8. All these random, empty battles.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

The gold grind sucks

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I just got Hapi and Constance in my GD run. They show up pretty late, but I'm excited to see that they have supports with some other characters that they didn't in 3 Houses!

I tried them out in a mock battle, and I already like their special abilities. They're maybe not as broken as some others, but they're easy to understand and visually easy to see when they can be activated.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Clawtopsy posted:

The gold grind sucks

It stops eventually, I have like 400k gold at the end of my second route and can't do anything with it other than convert it to smithing stones that I don't need because my weapons are good enough

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cross-posting myself.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm playing Three Hopes and have Star Trek on in the background and I had to do a double take.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Zwingley posted:

It stops eventually, I have like 400k gold at the end of my second route and can't do anything with it other than convert it to smithing stones that I don't need because my weapons are good enough

I guess it depends on if you want to go into Maddening, since that takes 350k to max out one weapon. :v: There's plenty of places to dump money.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Endorph posted:

unlike western games, like walking dead or mass effect 3

You have more agency than you do in all but the most experimental jrpgs and they're derided for being on rails. Acting like they are really comparable in that sense is pretty disingenuous there.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

what's really disingenous here is acting like "japanese games" (a ridiculously wide net, btw) have a history of touting a reactive story that changes based on your choices and not living up to it

actually name a single one that does

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
There's a lot of reactive VNs.

It's primarily RPGs where you see the big difference in narrative styles.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

most video games in general don’t have very reactive stories because those are hard to design without the scope of the game ballooning to uncontrollable levels

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Yeah, the best ones are games like Alpha Protocol where player choices impact how various levels play out vut the plot beats broadly speaking remain the same, just with different characters slotted into different scenes and the order in which you do the levels impacting dialogue and level design to some extent. Easier to design (nothing is really “skippable” so not a lot of lost work from the dev side) but the choices you *do* get are tactical or personal in nature

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm doing Black Eagles and I'm on chapter...19 now I think?
We're finally in the Kingdom after dealing with the rebellions and while I'm liking it man I do feel like this is a bit drawn out. Starting to find myself getting tired of the repetativeness of the missions and spending time faffing around making sure I've killed enough enemies. And I've run out of classes to mess with too.

I also kinda feel like if I'd not played Three Houses I'd have no connection here, it's very shallow with the way it portrays the characters. I know that's part and parcel of a warriors game and story isn't normally much of a thing but it's a shame. As someone who loved three houses I am really enjoy getting more from the characters though. And getting to see ones we didn't see before like Holtz!

Spoiler here for the special thing in black eagles 14
I think the way they show the strategy as ??? makes it feel like you missed something. If someone hadn't told me how to get Byleth I'd have just assumed I'd hosed up and not got the strategy for some reason

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

very shallow? they've exactly replicated the writing style and feel of three houses if you ask me (in fact they may literally just have the same writers), nobody feels out of character and they're exploring fun new interactions and angles with them that we didn't get to see there. i have 0 problems with this game's writing in general, in fact i like it more than three houses because the main story is way better instead of all the weight being carried by supports and worldbuilding.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Amppelix posted:

very shallow? they've exactly replicated the writing style and feel of three houses if you ask me (in fact they may literally just have the same writers), nobody feels out of character and they're exploring fun new interactions and angles with them that we didn't get to see there. i have 0 problems with this game's writing in general, in fact i like it more than three houses because the main story is way better instead of all the weight being carried by supports and worldbuilding.

No you misunderstand
They don't feel introduced well enough. I get them because I know them already, but you don't get the introduction you get from the real game. So if you don't know them already it doesn't hit as well

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Eh I can get where they are coming from on some level. While the plot is better written I think the game doesn't land the emotional beats anywhere near as 3H. Part of it is Shez's mercenary attitude as a character, part of it is who they choose to focus on, and I feel that part of it is also just a consequence of the shift to musou gameplay, at least for me. SB for example is better plotted but that plot is essentially about running around and putting out fires. The best stuff is with Duke Aegir but he should've been more present instead of only a three chapter type deal. In general with how the Slitherer's are dealt with is also through showing a bunch of them individually instead of focusing on one as a main villain, and well the general weaknesses of the Slitherers as compelling antagonists to me. Hell even Arval isn't in the game enough to really form an emotional connection to them. And Rhea, the best part of CF is largely absent until you just kill her.

The supports at least have more to play with because they aren't as shackled to the typical support structure since they assume you know the character, but some characters kind of suffer for that, like Bernadetta. However that also allows some characters to be incredibly expanded upon in great ways like Hubert and Petra. I'm not sure if I feel alone on this but when characters die it can feel very arbitrary thanks to the gameplay. Like why does this person I'm running laps around get to magically teleport away and why do they die? I know FE can have people just flee even when it doesn't make the most sense, but it feels less arbitrary because it's a turn based game at the least. I'm not literally running circles around them as they 'flee'. Overall I love how the game added to the politics of Fodlan, but CF had a lot of emotional moments that hit me and I love while SB just felt like 'oh neat a chance to spend more time with my friends.' Though part of that could be how the game handles it's ending, but I don't think that is entirely it as I hopefully explained.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Eimi posted:

SB just felt like 'oh neat a chance to spend more time with my friends.' Though part of that could be how the game handles it's ending, but I don't think that is entirely it as I hopefully explained.

Yea exactly this.
For example Ingrid died in my game. But in the game I'd never met her. She's nobody. It made a big deal of it and if I'd never played Three Houses I'd be going ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I agree but I also don't necessarily think it's a fault of the game that it's a sequel?