Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Heat chat:

Who else remembers The Hot Summer of 1976?

I was a stroppy teen and my folks insisted on me going on holiday with them to a Welsh beach somewhere. I spent the whole holiday in heavy jeans, heavy purple cardigan, reading Dead Souls by Gogol and listening to Night at the Opera by Queen. At the end of the holiday, just before leaving for the 4hr drive home, my dad picked me up (fully dressed) and threw me in the sea. I think he regretted having a very wet, very stroppy teen in the car (with several other siblings) chuntering and complaining all the way home. They never made me go on family holiday again!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_British_Isles_heat_wave

The 1976 British Isles heat wave led to the second hottest summer average temperature in the UK since records began. At the same time, the country suffered a severe drought.[2][3] It was one of the driest, sunniest and warmest summers (June/July/August) in the 20th century, although the summer of 1995 is now regarded as the driest. Only a few places registered more than half their average summer rainfall. In the CET record, it was the warmest summer in that series. It was the warmest summer in the Aberdeen area since at least 1864, and the driest summer since 1868 in Glasgow.[4]

Heathrow had 16 consecutive days over 30 °C (86 °F) from 23 June to 8 July[5] and for 15 consecutive days from 23 June to 7 July temperatures reached 32.2 °C (90 °F) somewhere in England. Furthermore, five days saw temperatures exceed 35 °C (95 °F). On 28 June, temperatures reached 35.6 °C (96.1 °F) in Southampton, the highest June temperature recorded in the UK. The hottest day of all was 3 July, with temperatures reaching 35.9 °C (96.6 °F) in Cheltenham.

My mum and dad got married that year on September 4th. All their clothes were arranged with the idea it would still be bitch-hot and by all accounts that was right around the time the weather broke and it pissed down.

She also talks a lot about how many ladybirds there were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Can I just say in the thick of it is one of my favorite brit political comedies. It's from this thread that I can at least understand a good level of what is going on. I don't get to watch it often as it's pretty dry but loving hilarious. The one liners can be absolutely excellent

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

fuctifino posted:

Someone asked me yesterday who is the least worst candidate, and I still don't have an answer for them. I guess it's inconsequential, as you can guarantee that the 150,000 mostly old, white bigots will choose the very worst out of the bunch to lead us for the next two years.
Probably Shapps, just by virtue of not wanting to go full scorched-earth-festival-of-blood on the culture war.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

fuctifino posted:

Someone asked me yesterday who is the least worst candidate, and I still don't have an answer for them. I guess it's inconsequential, as you can guarantee that the 150,000 mostly old, white bigots will choose the very worst out of the bunch to lead us for the next two years.

It'll probably just be the tory MPs at the end of the day. I think it's rare for a tory leadership election to get to party members.
So the choosers will be mostly extremely wealthy, corrupt, bigots of diverse origins.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe some kind of creative exhaust system, this one has antecedents back to the Roman Empire

Please don't steal diagrams from 99's build.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Can I just say in the thick of it is one of my favorite brit political comedies. It's from this thread that I can at least understand a good level of what is going on. I don't get to watch it often as it's pretty dry but loving hilarious. The one liners can be absolutely excellent

If you haven't seen it, don't miss Yes, Minister. Less sweary, equally bitter.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

a tory member who supports Rishi Sunak because he's the only conservative candidate not in an interracial marriage.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you haven't seen it, don't miss Yes, Minister. Less sweary, equally bitter.

I saw a few of those they are all hilarious. The nuclear deterrent bit is loving great.

Earlier in the thread I said "we will rebuild the middle class bt instituting conscription giving the youth a comprehensive education to makeup for our comprehensive education"

As a reference to yes minister

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The Question IRL posted:

Aren't all those countries ones with lower humidity?

Like don't the British and Emerald Isles have a much humidity? Which is why temeperaturs in the mid 20s get really uncomfortable?

Humidity is not constant with temperature. 100% humidity in 20 C heat is 17 g H2O per m3, in 30C heat it's 30 g per m3, and 40 C 50 g per m3. Because no one other than meteorologists and engineers understands grams per meter cubed as a unit, humidity is often given as relative humidity instead, which is "what % of the maximum humidity at this temperature is the air at". This is also closer to what matters for human comfort - since the closer you are to 100% the harder evaporation is.

This is all to explain that even though it is fairly common for us to have 70%-80% humidity in the mid 20s, the relationship breaks down as you get to even warmer temperatures. Especially when the heatwave air comes from continental europe (as this current one does), as the hot air hasn't been travelling over a ocean to suck up moisture. High humidity heatwaves tend to come from tropical air travelling over the Atlantic to reach us, and break as thunderstorms 2-3 days in normally. This kind of european air heatwave tends to last longer but with drier air, making the heatwave more bearable.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

fuctifino posted:

One of friends asked me this the other day, and I also couldn’t answer, they’re all absolutely appalling fuckers without any redeeming qualities.

Edit: the only differentiating factor as far as I can see is whether they are a massive loving hypocrite who let Boris Johnson get away with murder because it was politically advantageous to them, or if they’re a massive ducking hypocrite who actively covered and lied for Boris Johnson because it was politically advantageous to them

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 12, 2022

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
An actual good and fascinating story from the Guardian about the personal fallout there's been from the crypto crash:

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...he-crypto-crash

So many amateurs who saw Bitcoin spiraling ever higher and genuinely believed that this was their one chance to gain financial security, it's really sad.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pistol_Pete posted:

An actual good and fascinating story from the Guardian about the personal fallout there's been from the crypto crash:

So many amateurs who saw Bitcoin spiraling ever higher and genuinely believed that this was their one chance to gain financial security, it's really sad.

It was always going to be a gigantic wealth transfer from the working poor to the wealthy, so it's sad on a macro scale.

On an individual scale, these were people who were trying to get rich by defrauding other idiots that came after them, but it turned out they were the idiots, so hard for me to feel unambiguously empathetic towards them.

Mostly, it's just very grim that so many people can't see themselves ever owning a home without resorting to Ponzi scheme financial fraud

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nothingtoseehere posted:

no one other than meteorologists and engineers understands grams per meter cubed as a unit
17 g H2O per m3 is just under half a wet pennyweight per firkin, simple as :britain:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Pistol_Pete posted:

Ponzi scheme gonna ponzi except this time there isn't a Bernie Madoff to chuck into prison.

I hope it dies a miserabletruly spectacular death as a warning to all.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pistol_Pete posted:

Not that I want to turn this into a butts thread, but was the guy in that story who had $525,000 and lost it all ever able to realistically turn that into regular currency or was it just an imaginary number on an app?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Necrothatcher posted:

Not that I want to turn this into a butts thread, but was the guy in that story who had $525,000 and lost it all ever able to realistically turn that into regular currency or was it just an imaginary number on an app?

Very slowly and with great difficulty.

In the US the IRS would be demanding a cut as well. With how crypto goes you could owe the IRS on proceeds of that 100s of 1000s despite that investment cratering to :10bux:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Just over a week ago, I noticed a promotional email from my cannabis clinic, and at the end it mentioned a competition where they were asking patients to upload videos of their experiences with the clinic to help break the stigma of cannabis use. My public vaping stunts, including the recently adopted open vaping in the pub beer garden, have been all about breaking the stigma, so it seemed right up my alley. I quickly pieced together a rambling video and managed to submit it before the deadline. It didn't really fit the competition brief, but brushed upon it.

https://twitter.com/stuwyatt/status/1542465352461914113

The result? I won the loving competition, and at around midday today, I'm going to be the proud receiver of a £400 Volcano Medic 2:

:420: is awesome as a coping mechanism for [wildly gesticulates at everything], and it looks like I'm going to have the perfect tool to consume it

:smug:

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jul 12, 2022

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

fuctifino posted:

Just over a week ago, I noticed a promotional email from my cannabis clinic, and at the end it mentioned a competition where they were asking patients to upload videos of their experiences with the clinic to help break the stigma of cannabis use. My public vaping stunts, including the recently adopted open vaping in the pub beer garden, have been all about breaking the stigma, so it seemed right up my alley. I quickly pieced together a rambling video and managed to submit it before the deadline. It didn't really fit the competition brief, but brushed upon it.

The result? I won the loving competition, and at around midday today, I'm going to be the proud receiver of a £400 Volcano Medic 2:

:420: is awesome as a coping mechanism for [wildly gesticulates at everything], and it looks like I'm going to have the perfect too to consume it

Congrats - and I really like the Black and Decker aesthetic.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

fuctifino posted:

:420: is awesome as a coping mechanism for [wildly gesticulates at everything], and it looks like I'm going to have the perfect tool to consume it

Congratulations! Your video is lovely, I can see why it won.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Failed Imagineer posted:

Mostly, it's just very grim that so many people can't see themselves ever owning a home without resorting to Ponzi scheme financial fraud

I feel very sorry for those people, but the ones who had actual savings and ploughed them into crypto are just very dumb and bad, and I have little sympathy.

Most people don’t have any kind of savings whatsoever, and people who complain that they lost £100,000+ should have realised that having that amount of money is already pretty good going. Being comfortable is great, there’s no need to speculate on ridiculous greater fool con tricks to get rich. I can’t imagine having that much money to spaff on “investments”

They thought they’d found a shortcut to never working again, when everyone knows that the only route to a life of luxury (with a small risk of death by guillotine) is to be born into generational wealth.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Nobody tell him

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Shame he didn't go with A New Start.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Not even 9am yet & it's 22 degrees. Fortunately there's a 15 mph wind so I'm sat next to the living room window with it and the kitchen door wide open so the window is just channeling through and over me. It's glorious, not going to move from here until the sun makes it round to this side in the afternoon.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Necrothatcher posted:

He probably could have converted a decent chunk of it, depending on taxes etc! From the article, he'd become so immersed in the collective crypto delusion of Youtube videos, subreddits and Discord channels that he truly believed that prices could only ever keep spiraling upwards and there was no need to cash out. Poor bastard gave his interview from a residential therapy centre, where he was trying to recover from the crushing depression caused by seeing all of his dreams crumble to dust.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pistol_Pete posted:

He probably could have converted a decent chunk of it, depending on taxes etc! From the article, he'd become so immersed in the collective crypto delusion of Youtube videos, subreddits and Discord channels that he truly believed that prices could only ever keep spiraling upwards and there was no need to cash out. Poor bastard gave his interview from a residential therapy centre, where he was trying to recover from the crushing depression caused by seeing all of his dreams crumble to dust.

Man, I don't know how I'd live with myself if I'd lost that much money purely down to my own stupidity. Just feels like every single moment from then on would be tinged with regret.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

Very slowly and with great difficulty.

I’m not sure where this comes from. I presume you’re talking about a lack of liquidity available to sell back into GBP to cash out, but 525k is nowhere near enough for this to be an issue. I hate crypto but we should be accurate when we’re rinsing it, and it’s actually even funnier that he could at any point have pretty easily withdrawn half a million.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

the sex ghost posted:

Nobody tell him

Blatantly courting for Peep Show/Clean Shirt memes, not the worst tactic

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Jakabite posted:

I’m not sure where this comes from. I presume you’re talking about a lack of liquidity available to sell back into GBP to cash out, but 525k is nowhere near enough for this to be an issue. I hate crypto but we should be accurate when we’re rinsing it, and it’s actually even funnier that he could at any point have pretty easily withdrawn half a million.

The bank listed second on the list of "crypto friendly" banks in the UK has a policy outright banning cryptocurrency transactions. They're second because they don't freeze your account and report you for fraud instantly.

The problem withdrawing half a mil wouldn't be liquidity, it's going to be finding a bank ok with that much cash coming from someone saying they made an honest 800% ROI on a drug money Ponzi scheme

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Heat chat:

I was a stroppy teen and my folks insisted on me going on holiday with them to a Welsh beach somewhere. I spent the whole holiday in heavy jeans, heavy purple cardigan, reading Dead Souls by Gogol and listening to Night at the Opera by Queen. At the end of the holiday, just before leaving for the 4hr drive home, my dad picked me up (fully dressed) and threw me in the sea. I think he regretted having a very wet, very stroppy teen in the car (with several other siblings) chuntering and complaining all the way home. They never made me go on family holiday again!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_British_Isles_heat_wave

The 1976 British Isles heat wave led to the second hottest summer average temperature in the UK since records began. At the same time, the country suffered a severe drought.[2][3] It was one of the driest, sunniest and warmest summers (June/July/August) in the 20th century, although the summer of 1995 is now regarded as the driest. Only a few places registered more than half their average summer rainfall. In the CET record, it was the warmest summer in that series. It was the warmest summer in the Aberdeen area since at least 1864, and the driest summer since 1868 in Glasgow.[4]

Heathrow had 16 consecutive days over 30 °C (86 °F) from 23 June to 8 July[5] and for 15 consecutive days from 23 June to 7 July temperatures reached 32.2 °C (90 °F) somewhere in England. Furthermore, five days saw temperatures exceed 35 °C (95 °F). On 28 June, temperatures reached 35.6 °C (96.1 °F) in Southampton, the highest June temperature recorded in the UK. The hottest day of all was 3 July, with temperatures reaching 35.9 °C (96.6 °F) in Cheltenham.

I don't remember that, being a little too young, but about the earliest thing I do remember is that the Jubilee summer the next year was blazing hot as well.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I have a few memories of the '76 heatwave. I was only four, but I remember having a bath with house bricks to raise the water level.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Spangly A posted:

The bank listed second on the list of "crypto friendly" banks in the UK has a policy outright banning cryptocurrency transactions. They're second because they don't freeze your account and report you for fraud instantly.

The problem withdrawing half a mil wouldn't be liquidity, it's going to be finding a bank ok with that much cash coming from someone saying they made an honest 800% ROI on a drug money Ponzi scheme

People can and do cash out that much money from crypto into banks. The space has changed alot since 2017/2018 when people struggled to liquidate crypto for those reasons. As long as your paperwork is in order, they don't care if it's drug money - just that they aren't liable if it is.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Im going to be driving to London on Saturday in a car with no air con. I just don't want my tyres to melt or to have anything bad happen to the car or me. I'm fine with putting up with the heat for a day.

The main reason for no car badness is that it's how I currently get to work. That and my darling is going to be in the darn thing, and she needs to be okay!

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 12, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

It's worth remembering that driest summer in Glasgow just means it rainer every 3rd day instead of every 2nd day

I am too young for 76 by 8 years but I do remember 1995. That was oppressive and deeply unpleasant. I also remember it was followed by a pretty brutal winter.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Spangly A posted:

Eh, just get a Revolut or the like, 525k isn’t actually that much money in the grand scheme. And crypto isn’t actually illegal. As funny as no one who made a big profit off crypto being able to cash out would be, it just isn’t the case.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Your mortgage application will still be instantly rejected if you disclose that any of the money you're buying the house with was earned in crypto. The banks are inconsistent at best about how they treat proceeds.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Josef bugman posted:

Im going to be driving to London on Saturday in a car with no air con. I just don't want my tyres to melt or to have anything bad happen to the car or me. I'm fine with putting up with the heat for a day.

You should probably set out as early as humanly possible

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

Bring water in case of breakdown

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

You should probably set out as early as humanly possible

Intend to. It's a 5 hour trip.

Convex posted:

Bring water in case of breakdown

Will do.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I do, and '75, which was also hot. So much was yellow and brown, including all the dead elms. We too went to Wales in '76 and I raised the alarm for fire in the dry heather at Fishguard - I just saw a little wisp from a cigarette end, probably*, but the whole cliffside burned in a twinkling.

*I don't think neglected saucepans were involved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Josef bugman posted:

Intend to. It's a 5 hour trip.

I thought you lived in London actually. Didn't you work at a big museum there?