Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Squiggle posted:

...you could pack the plane parts?

It's legitimately easier not to and just carry them with an azov 7s crane but yeah, need something bigger than a semi flatbed iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Squiggle posted:

...you could pack the plane parts?

you can on a wide flatbed trailer like the one they give you. you have to fiddle around to lay them the correct way, which isn't obvious for the wings

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
That wide flatbed is a nightmare and doing that mission the "right" way is about a hundred times harder than just using the crane arm

I did the fuselage legit because I'd hauled that goddamn trailer all the way out there and by God I was gonna use it, but the wings I hauled out on a couple of regular flatbeds

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Wrapped up the last few tasks and contests in season 7, still have to do the coops to register it as complete but feel satisfied

Another excellent region in a season full of great maps. I didn't even mind not having a second map, because the technical challenges were pretty unique in this region and hard enough I enjoyed the short routes to go rescue myself. I didn't even mind hauling everything from one spot, because that path was just good enough to not be too tedious and let me break out some underused vehicles.

The new car is neat for a bunch of the quarry trails since it can skid over stuff pretty well. Didn't get a lot of use out of the sprinter but really liked it's look.

The only thing I didn't like was the weird announcer as you go through areas. Makes things seem really post apocalyptic to hear an announcement on repeat of someone's lights on in the parking lot in a dead, empty world void of humans

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I played Spintires and then Mudrunner when it came out and had fun, but always ended up bouncing off because there really wasn't much guidance in the game. Ended up picking up Snowrunner during the sale based on a variety of recommendations, and I'm mostly having fun.

I'm struggling a bit with "progression" and exactly where to go / what to do that's within my capabilities. I've unlocked most of the trucks on the first Michigan map (the Chevvy Pickup, the Lodestar, the Scout 800, the Kodiak, and some GMC highway truck that sucks)but I'm running out of activities that I can manage with what I have. The Lodestar is great but without better wheels I'm just not able to complete many of the remaining tasks because they need me to drive through deep mud and I just don't have the ability to manage that yet. Am I missing something with progression? Alaska seems out of my league too, and I haven't looked at Russia yet. I just feel a little boxed in and like I am missing something.

Also, the sheer volume of trucks is a bit overwhelming. Are there certain ones I should focus on upgrading as my main workhorses?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

JerikTelorian posted:

Also, the sheer volume of trucks is a bit overwhelming. Are there certain ones I should focus on upgrading as my main workhorses?

There are three standouts early on.

The International Paystar 5070 is a well-rounded truck that starts with all-terrain tires and is available basically immediately. You can sell the starter trucks and just buy it. (Everything that costs money can be sold back for what you paid, so feel free to experiment.)

The ANK Civilian doesn't have as many build options as most trucks, but it does have a strong engine and strong tires to start. It's a bit of a fuel hog though.

There's a truck you can unlock on the next Michigan map that is also very strong and versatile, plus most of its upgrades are on the early Michigan maps. You can easily use it for all of Michigan and Alaska if you like.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

JerikTelorian posted:

I'm struggling a bit with "progression" and exactly where to go / what to do that's within my capabilities. I've unlocked most of the trucks on the first Michigan map (the Chevvy Pickup, the Lodestar, the Scout 800, the Kodiak, and some GMC highway truck that sucks)but I'm running out of activities that I can manage with what I have. The Lodestar is great but without better wheels I'm just not able to complete many of the remaining tasks because they need me to drive through deep mud and I just don't have the ability to manage that yet. Am I missing something with progression? Alaska seems out of my league too, and I haven't looked at Russia yet. I just feel a little boxed in and like I am missing something.

For my part, I suggest mostly sticking with Michigan, initially. There is a linear progression of challenge, running from Michigan, to Alaska, to Taymyr. If all you know of Michigan is the Black River, then know that you've at most seen 25% of Michigan.

For me the thing that helps is really exploring and learning the different areas. That supremely annoying mire between you and your destination might be something you can bypass entirely, with a tweak to your route. It might be something subtle (winching around the edge of something tough), or it might involve a smartly observed shortcut, or perhaps the longer route that actually is quicker due to fewer hazards.

This game is *all about* smart route selection, and to be able to make those smart calls, you need to develop a familiarity with each area. More than any game I think I've ever played, I came to know each area of Snowrunner (that I've played thus far) like the back of my hand. And you feel like *such* a boss, when it all comes together.

That isn't to say that vehicle selection, and vehicle upgrading isn't important. It absolutely is. Expanding your toolbox, and all that. Choosing the right tool for the job. But you can come to a sticky end even with a great vehicle, if not used well.

In any case, everything you need to beast Michigan is in Michigan. Scout, explore, and expand your sense of the different ways you can get from place to place.

Edit: In terms of *my* Snowrunner... Amur is sufficiently hot and sweaty that I decided to step away from my strict approach of going through each world location in release order. So I've been taking a break from Amur, and have been spending time in the Tennessee world location. Sometimes I want 'comfort gaming' Snowrunner :v:

magimix fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 9, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

JerikTelorian posted:

I played Spintires and then Mudrunner when it came out and had fun, but always ended up bouncing off because there really wasn't much guidance in the game. Ended up picking up Snowrunner during the sale based on a variety of recommendations, and I'm mostly having fun.

With some relatively mild effort, assuming you're okay with :airquote: skipping ahead, you can get a Tayga 6436 - a very good truck that comes with big bouncy mud tires pre-installed - near the start of the first Taymyr map (Drowned Lands, I think). It's at the red circle on this map (sidenote: maprunner.info is a drat good tool in general. You unlock it free for your own use by finishing the task "SOS" that it's right next to - bring repairs & fuel.

IIRC you can do this right from rank 1 with an International Loadstar 1700 - great scout in general, btw - but the terrain in Taymyr is a big step up in assholishness from Michigan and Alaska, so it might take a few tries. Related note: for some reason you have to warp to a Russian map to buy Russian trucks, and same for American trucks. Janky UI thing.

Other truck recommendations - some're locked by rank, I forget, so sorry if I recommend something you can't actually get yet :shobon:
- (A, Heavy) Western Star 6900 TwinSteer - l o n g t r u c k. Good truck right at the off; with upgrades, there's nothing in the game that's better for carrying 4u of cargo
- (R, Offroad) Voron AE-4380 - well-balanced, and fast if you're a baller with highrange gears. Kinda crap fuel tho
- (R, Offroad) Azov 64131- the epitome of slow-but-steady. Good fuel economy. Sort-of-replaced by the Azov 73210 later
- (R, Offroad) Azov 5319 - above but faster & really bad economy

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 10, 2022

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
https://www.reddit.com/r/snowrunner/comments/go5i6y/oc_complete_walkthrough_michigan_all_achievements/

Follow these guides . Ignore the stuff about the tuz

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

JerikTelorian posted:

Don't fall into the trap of collecting trucks. You don't need three scouts and you don't lose money selling trucks, so you can sell the Chevy and the 800 and you can always buy them back later if for some reason you miss them (you won't, the Loadstar is all you'll ever need in a scout, even on later maps).

As already mentioned, sell the Kodiak and the crappy GMC and buy the Paystar. That truck will see you through Michigan and Alaska with ease. Once you're used to the Paystar, hop over to Alaska (it's not so scary now you've got a real truck) and use it to find the Royal BM17. You now have two real trucks and two different regions to use them in.

As for which trucks you should buy, you just need to build a good fleet. Find trucks you like for the roles you need and focus on those rather than playing truck Pokémon. I generally run a couple of haulers, a scout, a rescue truck with a heavy crane for when I do something dumb, a fuel truck and a heavy duty for the end of map "boss" missions.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Freaking love the ANKs and the Voron AE-4380, they're relatively easy to get too and a lot of fun to drive.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

JerikTelorian posted:

The F2070A is right next to the garage in Black River and it's all the truck you need for most of Michigan. You can either repair/refuel it or just drag it into the entrance zone and then swap into it.

Progression early on really sucks as you're stuck with trucks that can only accomplish 1 or 2 things and nothing in the game tells you what those things are, but it is doable.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

mastershakeman posted:

The ank is a ton of fun. Starts with good tires, can equip tayga mud balloons, is fast, and the tiny fuel tank doesn't matter since it flips over at the first chance

For American trucks in the base game you can't really go wrong with a lot of them since none of them are all that good except for TWINSTEER

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Cease to Hope posted:

There's a truck you can unlock on the next Michigan map that is also very strong and versatile, plus most of its upgrades are on the early Michigan maps. You can easily use it for all of Michigan and Alaska if you like.

specifically the white-western star you recover and get as a reward for the "fixer upper" task. hint: you can repair/refuel it before you drag it up the hill

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Thanks for the tips; there were a few things holding me back that you all cleared up. First, I had spent money on upgrading a couple of trucks which left me with low funds. At one point I filled a fuel trailer to take for an objective, not realizing that I needed a specific one on the map. This left me with low money and I was getting worried I didn't have the resources to get what I'd need to complete new tasks. In addition, I assumed I needed to finish Black River before I did the rest of Michigan, so I was artificially limiting what I had available; this also meant I had few opportunities for leveling up and unlocking better gear.

Now that I realized I can resell stuff (and so dumped a bunch of the crap I have lying around) and that I don't need to address every obstacle immediately, I've been spreading out a lot and can feel the pace of the game changing a lot. I'm exploring the maps with my scouts and finding all kinds of stuff; money and rep is piling up as I clean up small objectives. Also, by focusing on the towers I'm finding all those bonus trailers (sometimes with stuff on them) for completing objectives fast, which is nice.

Anyway, I've been using the Scout 800, Chevy CK1500, and the Lodestar 2070 pretty much exclusively. I did recover that Western Star and I am upgrading it, and working on recovering other Michigan trucks. The Scout 800 is honestly a blast to drive; it's plucky as all hell and comes with a great supply kit to boot. Thing bounces all over the place but with an autonomous winch even the occasional spill won't take it out of the action. I sold a bunch of the other stuff, as well as some trailers to make some extra scratch.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

JerikTelorian posted:

Thanks for the tips; there were a few things holding me back that you all cleared up. First, I had spent money on upgrading a couple of trucks which left me with low funds. At one point I filled a fuel trailer to take for an objective, not realizing that I needed a specific one on the map. This left me with low money and I was getting worried I didn't have the resources to get what I'd need to complete new tasks. In addition, I assumed I needed to finish Black River before I did the rest of Michigan, so I was artificially limiting what I had available; this also meant I had few opportunities for leveling up and unlocking better gear.

Now that I realized I can resell stuff (and so dumped a bunch of the crap I have lying around) and that I don't need to address every obstacle immediately, I've been spreading out a lot and can feel the pace of the game changing a lot. I'm exploring the maps with my scouts and finding all kinds of stuff; money and rep is piling up as I clean up small objectives. Also, by focusing on the towers I'm finding all those bonus trailers (sometimes with stuff on them) for completing objectives fast, which is nice.

Anyway, I've been using the Scout 800, Chevy CK1500, and the Lodestar 2070 pretty much exclusively. I did recover that Western Star and I am upgrading it, and working on recovering other Michigan trucks. The Scout 800 is honestly a blast to drive; it's plucky as all hell and comes with a great supply kit to boot. Thing bounces all over the place but with an autonomous winch even the occasional spill won't take it out of the action. I sold a bunch of the other stuff, as well as some trailers to make some extra scratch.

If you find yourself running low on funds in future, download the free anniversary DLC pack and sell both those trucks for a smooth ~200k. By now you're probably realized that the economy being zero sum means it rapidly becomes a joke and it's not gonna break anything

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Yeah, the Scout 800 is a fun car to drive! I'm personally a big fan of the KHAN 317 (DLC ute though, sadly. Worth the price I paid for it though) as well as the beast of a car YAR 87, once I was eventually able to get it.

So yeah, you've got one of the more enjoyable cars already IMO, but there are definitely some fun vehicles to come! As someone mentioned earlier, I'd definitely recommend getting the BM17 from Alaska, since it was my main workhorse for quite a while. (I THINK it's in the southern area west of the starting garage, but could be wrong. Added tags in case you don't want any hints) Definitely keep exploring Michigan as your main play area though, IMO - since there's a good variety of truck types scattered around there, which will help flesh out your garage for performing a variety of jobs and rescues

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Yar 87 will rip through anything you put in front of it on any map, love that drat thing. Also real good on fuel because it carries a bunch and it's got 6 huge tires that really thrive in low gear when it gets rough. Best radar scout as well

750 owns as well once you get its final engine upgrade but its horn is a sad and feeble thing

edit - don't sleep on the Voron AE once you get it either, that's the mistake I made and didn't bust it out of the packaging until deep into launching a rocket and it's a fuckin blast. Big beautiful tires and speedy as gently caress

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, the Scout 800 is a fun car to drive! I'm personally a big fan of the KHAN 317 (DLC ute though, sadly. Worth the price I paid for it though)

are you sure you're not thinking of the khan marshal, the one that's a jeep and included in year 1? the khan sentinel, the pickup truck, is unlocked in amur (season 4/year 1), which is a shame because by the time you can do amur you probably do not need a random unremarkable pickup truck.

the khan marshal is nice but it can't tow any kind of trailers, which is an annoying and weirdly pointless flaw

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh yeah, another money related point to add to EHF's message - so definitely sell all your crap trucks, but also sell your old add-ons when you buy new ones. Since (correct me if I'm wrong. It's been a little while since I last played) as I recall, the game will only sell the currently equipped add-ons with the truck when you sell it. So you might have a whole pile of money tied up on add-ins you aren't even aware of, until you rebuy a truck later and notice you've got like, five sets of the default headlights or something

EDIT: Man this thread's moving fast!

Cease to Hope posted:

are you sure you're not thinking of the khan marshal, the one that's a jeep and included in year 1? the khan sentinel, the pickup truck, is unlocked in amur (season 4/year 1), which is a shame because by the time you can do amur you probably do not need a random unremarkable pickup truck.

the khan marshal is nice but it can't tow any kind of trailers, which is an annoying and weirdly pointless flaw

Well, both are fun to drive, but the Khan Marshal uses fuel up way too fast, as well as the lack of tow capabilities as you mentioned. I dunno, my perspective may be different as I used the Khan 317 from the very beginning when I didn't have the YAR etc, but it was a pretty fun ute still! Give it mud tires, raised suspension, and you can tackle all sorts. It's also longer than the Marshal, so you won't flip over when going up/down hills

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 12, 2022

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nobody here is in it for the money, we're here for truckin and fuckin and the devs recognize this which is why you can simply give yourself more money by editing plain text in an ini lol

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Epic High Five posted:

Nobody here is in it for the money, we're here for truckin and fuckin and the devs recognize this which is why you can simply give yourself more money by editing plain text in an ini lol

sorry but that's not fair to real truckers, so I've given myself negative money

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Did my first ever successful coop which consisted of

Aweing the guy with my twinsteer
Forgetting the roads and eventually yeeting off a cliff to get stuff down

Rolling over the gmc 5 feet from the garage

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Speaking of yeeting off cliffs, is it just me or do any of you have dumping grounds for old trailers you can't be bothered taking back to the garage for pocket change? I reckon I must've created 2-3 decent sized trailer landfills in gullies around Michigan and Alaska, just off of side-roads with a convenient cliff to drop them off :v:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

Speaking of yeeting off cliffs, is it just me or do any of you have dumping grounds for old trailers you can't be bothered taking back to the garage for pocket change? I reckon I must've created 2-3 decent sized trailer landfills in gullies around Michigan and Alaska, just off of side-roads with a convenient cliff to drop them off :v:

why would you not just take them back and get the refund

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

why would you not just take them back and get the refund

Ehh, too far in these cases - plus they're generally ones I found around the place anyway. I haven't really had an issue with money personally, so it's really just to keep the roads clear

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Got this in gamepass, I was wondering if it's safe to drink irl and play or it requires precise controls?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ulio posted:

Got this in gamepass, I was wondering if it's safe to drink irl and play or it requires precise controls?

precision really helps, especially as it gets harder.

however, it's a game where failing is very amusing and you'll need to learn to recover from your failures anyway, so it may make for an entertaining drunk game anyhow

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Major Isoor posted:

i just delete them, or more preferably, recover my trailerless twinsteers

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I leave them on the side of the road in case they turn out to be useful in that spot in the future. This happens… rarely.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

this is violence

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

mastershakeman posted:

Did my first ever successful coop which consisted of

Aweing the guy with my twinsteer
Forgetting the roads and eventually yeeting off a cliff to get stuff down

Rolling over the gmc 5 feet from the garage

It's me I'm the guy. I sleep on the twinstar because it can be so tippy but using it to tow a truck towing a trailer was a pretty baller move. I have an image of the cliff yeet which we completely planned and it worked better than expected.

First, here's your twinstar towing (A voron?) towing a trailer.

But here's the yeet remains.

Speaking of the yeet, what IS the preferred method to get wood from the sawmil in Yukon. As you can see, Shakeman went south and got stuck up on the rocks above the cement mill and just kinda said gently caress it and we recovered ok but what's intended?

edit: Playing with goons is fun, I will try and ping more often to set stuff up so you can help me power through Yukon or recover the Imanda plane.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 12, 2022

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

Ulio posted:

It depends a lot on the mission, tbh. I definitely love drinking a few beers and driving around the place listening to music or podcasts.

Not sure I'd expect to get much done while poo poo faced, but plenty of the missions make it a good buzzed game.

(gently caress doing the harder ones any way but stone sober, though. Some are brutal.)

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

ABen posted:

It depends a lot on the mission, tbh. I definitely love drinking a few beers and driving around the place listening to music or podcasts.

Not sure I'd expect to get much done while poo poo faced, but plenty of the missions make it a good buzzed game.

(gently caress doing the harder ones any way but stone sober, though. Some are brutal.)

Sober me: overloaded Kodiak, small cranes on every truck, the GMC9500 is my fav vehicle.

Drunk me: *hic* Anyone seen the key to the Tatarin?

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

madeintaipei posted:

Drunk me: *hic* Anyone seen the key to the Tatarin?
Tbf I suspect that phrase is uttered about 95% of the time before an actual BTR-80 is fired up.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

ABen posted:

Tbf I suspect that phrase is uttered about 95% of the time before an actual BTR-80 is fired up.

IME, International Scouts, too!

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

madeintaipei posted:

IME, International Scouts, too!
When I was in the field, my biggest mistake was always trying to drink with the heavy transport/heavy lift people. It simply can’t be done. Even if they stop drinking 8 hrs. before shift (which they, and I, didn’t), I’m sure their BAC was still over legal by the next morning. Got a lot of projects done, though!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

ABen posted:

Ya that sounds perfect, I am not interested in getting poo poo faced drunk but lately I found a couple of drinks and gaming is a great time.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Scouting goes well with drinks but with some of this stuff I would be hopeless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005