Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On further reflection, maybe they're selling this stuff because chips to build rpi's are nonexistant right now. I've been wanting a second rpi4 for like six months now and they've been out of stock the whole time.

The tracker that's out there does show they're getting distributed but it's probably all scalpers at this point running bots to instantly buy them. I sure have had no luck scoring one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

representatives at my local raspberry pi distributor (microcenter) have said that the local university (uc irvine) has been frequently snapping up all available supply of 3b+ pis and 4 pis of all shapes and stripes.

Demand is incredibly high and the chip shortage is very real.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

xzzy posted:

That's how capitalism works. You continually expand your product line to compete with other companies to try and get a bigger slice of all the money in the industry.

I think it's stupid too, only microcontroller I'll buy is a teensy, but that's just me. I assume Pi knows how well they'll sell.

xzzy posted:

On further reflection, maybe they're selling this stuff because chips to build rpi's are nonexistant right now. I've been wanting a second rpi4 for like six months now and they've been out of stock the whole time.

The tracker that's out there does show they're getting distributed but it's probably all scalpers at this point running bots to instantly buy them. I sure have had no luck scoring one.

The Pi Foundation is a registered charity and it was created to promote a computer science program at a university in the UK.

Their motivations are centered around education, not capitalism, which is why they push the price fixing angle so hard: "Pi Zero is a $5 computer!" The price fixing and subsequent shortages has been an issue long before any of the recent chip shortages. There's always been a big flood at the release of a new version, followed by empty shelves for months. I suspect most of them go to "scalpers" aka actual capitalists who will repackage it with high-margin items like wall warts, SD cards, and cable adapters to make a profit, since the Pi Foundation refuses to (or maybe can't because of their charity status).

And it also doesn't make sense that they'd be trying to corner any part of the market with the Pico... rather that they'd want to create a device that's consistent across school curricula instead of leaving teachers to use some aliexpress chinesium ESP32 boards that may or may not even have firmware flashed on it yet.

AgentCow007 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 4, 2022

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

xzzy posted:

Adafruit is your best bet... Usually mid week.

They've been restocking 100+ units

Create an account and figure out their 2FA ahead of time and you should be able to grab at least a 4 - 2gb version

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
If there has already been an effort post with this information, please just let me know.

I would really be interested in setting up an emulation station (primarily NES, SNES, GBA, PSX and PS2). I know that Raspberry pi can do that kind of stuff but I'm pretty dumb when it comes to it. There are so many different kinds of Pis out there, I don't want to get the wrong one. Does anyone have a recommendation for:
Which Pi should I get?
Case
anything else that is necessary?

I have a controller already, I have a spare 128gb SSD just sitting around collecting dust that I would be able to use.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

SalTheBard posted:

If there has already been an effort post with this information, please just let me know.

I would really be interested in setting up an emulation station (primarily NES, SNES, GBA, PSX and PS2). I know that Raspberry pi can do that kind of stuff but I'm pretty dumb when it comes to it. There are so many different kinds of Pis out there, I don't want to get the wrong one. Does anyone have a recommendation for:
Which Pi should I get?
Case

I have a controller already, I have a spare 128gb SSD just sitting around collecting dust that I would be able to use.

I think you're better off with a Odroid N2+ if you're only looking for an emulation station.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

deong posted:

I think you're better off with a Odroid N2+ if you're only looking for an emulation station.

Thank you so much. I watched a few youtube videos and that looks like my jam!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

Which Pi should I get?
Case

My brother in law has gotten very good at setting up Emulation Station on a RPi 3B+ and loading it down with way more games than cruft jr will ever play.

Most recent iteration was this handheld thing that looks like a chunky Nintendo Switch. I use it for a monitor now when something screws up on my RPi4 homelab server.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

is it still impossible to buy a pi4 at msrp?

I see amazon selling them for $150 and lmao gently caress that

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You may be able to buy a bundle or something but buying a bare rpi4 at msrp seems exceedingly difficult unless you can pick up a used one from a friend.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Depending on your requirements, you may be able to pick up a raspberry pi 400 for $99 and shipping. It's a 4GB rpi 4 (more or less) with a built in keyboard. If you're serious about this route than make sure the minor differences between the 400 and the standard pi4 aren't dealbreakers.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I know someone who just bought one for $140 AUD with accessories from a local (Australian) supplier, so there is stock trickling in. However I watched the pi zero W go in and out of stock in a matter of seconds at the same supplier, so things are still very bad. I don't expect it to improve much for at least 12 months.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Splode posted:

I know someone who just bought one for $140 AUD with accessories from a local (Australian) supplier, so there is stock trickling in. However I watched the pi zero W go in and out of stock in a matter of seconds at the same supplier, so things are still very bad. I don't expect it to improve much for at least 12 months.

I bought a 0w for ~:10bux: back in early 2020 because I wanted to try running piHole. Holy poo poo did I get lucky on timing…I would love a pi4 for emulation, but gently caress eBay scalping bas-turds!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
After doing some research, I found with a little work my Steam Link can do what I wanted so I ended up dusting off the ole Steam Link and now I'm in total bliss

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

sb hermit posted:

Depending on your requirements, you may be able to pick up a raspberry pi 400 for $99 and shipping. It's a 4GB rpi 4 (more or less) with a built in keyboard.

It also has the better revision of chip (higher frequency) iirc new batches of regular rpi4 also have that. And a sizeable heatsink.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I set my Pi 4 up quite a while ago running LibreElec since we've only really been using it for Kodi on the TV.

Is there any real performance difference between LibreElec and running Kodi on a Raspbian install?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anyone ever use a Tiny Pilot KVM (https://tinypilotkvm.com/)?

Looking to get an IP enabled KVM for work and looks like a good option, with it being plug and play with no fiddling around required. I won't be the one to maintain it so it can't be super linux complex etc.

Not exactly cheap by Pi standards ($399 for the pi and enclosure with hdmi input) but the ease of getting it running plus the fact it is actually available to purchase are big plusses

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SpaceAceJase posted:

I set my Pi 4 up quite a while ago running LibreElec since we've only really been using it for Kodi on the TV.

Is there any real performance difference between LibreElec and running Kodi on a Raspbian install?

The performance should not be different.

The reason to use LibreElec is convenience and reliability of Kodi. LibreElec schedules all its updates around Kodi, so it never breaks anything. Also LibreElec can self-update through major versions. Raspbian is kinda intended that you re-flash the SD card when the new major version comes out (which is only every 2 years for them).

I think if you don't do anything but Kodi, just stick with LibreElec.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Raspbian is rather behind on Kodi versions as well. I switched over to OSMC a few months ago because I was tired of waiting for Kodi 19.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

priznat posted:

Anyone ever use a Tiny Pilot KVM (https://tinypilotkvm.com/)?

Looking to get an IP enabled KVM for work and looks like a good option, with it being plug and play with no fiddling around required. I won't be the one to maintain it so it can't be super linux complex etc.

Not exactly cheap by Pi standards ($399 for the pi and enclosure with hdmi input) but the ease of getting it running plus the fact it is actually available to purchase are big plusses

I haven't tried Tiny Pilot but I swear by PiKVM:

https://pikvm.org

You can buy assembled ones too that include the Pi4:

https://www.pishop.us/product/pikvm-v3-pre-assembled/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

pzy posted:

I haven't tried Tiny Pilot but I swear by PiKVM:

https://pikvm.org

You can buy assembled ones too that include the Pi4:

https://www.pishop.us/product/pikvm-v3-pre-assembled/

Oh nice, I had thought the pikvm hats were just a one off kickstarter thingie. There is also one that takes a CM4 you can buy from aliexpress.

I’ve ordered one of the tiny pilot ones to try out, possibly will get one of those assembled pikvm to compare. This will be for remote controlling systems and may need some out of band stuff like external relays for power and reset along with voltage monitoring, so better than any of the other ip based kvms I have seen..

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Keep an eye on rpilocator on Wednesdays. IIRC it's Adafruit that's releasing 100+ every Wedensday, but you can only buy one for now. And by "for now" they mean "until some time in the nebulous future we allow you to buy another one".

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I needed an Octoprint server but there are no pi’s to be had, so I discovered the HP S01 mini desktop with 10th gen Intel G5900 cpu. I picked up a couple off ebay for $100 each/average. If you don’t need the GPIO pins there isn’t much point in a pi at the moment.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Comatoast posted:

I needed an Octoprint server but there are no pi’s to be had, so I discovered the HP S01 mini desktop with 10th gen Intel G5900 cpu. I picked up a couple off ebay for $100 each/average. If you don’t need the GPIO pins there isn’t much point in a pi at the moment.

This has got me wondering if I should try to find somebody to trade me a J4105-based system for my RPi4, since I don't use the GPIO pins and they seem to use about the same amount of power when idle.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Another option if you don't need GPIO is old Chromeboxes. I bought some HP Chromebox units with 4 GB RAM and 16GB of storage for under $25 each. I had to buy power bricks, but those were cheap also.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

cruft posted:

J4105-based system

This acer refurb popped up on slickdeals and I thought of your post.

edit: stripped advertising links from the url

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 18, 2022

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
My Mom's Wii finally died after about a decade+ of straight playing of Dr Mario RX. She would turn it one and never turn it off. Surprised it lasted that long .

Anyway, I thought I would be able to install RetroPie, configure the Wiimotes, and have it autoboot into Dr. Mario RX. The problem is dolphin, the Wii emu, is only 64bit and RetroPie only has a release in 32 but.

I know I could just install dolphin in 64 bit OS but I kind of like the ease of setup of controllers in emulationstation which would be much easier to explain over the phone to my mom than asking to type anything.

I did try the very unsuggested method of compiling 64bit RetroPie but it can't even get through SDL2 without throwing a fit.

I am exploring other things like RetroArch and some other aio solutions but it looks tough.

Just an article saying how to even compile 64bit RetroPie would be useful but everything I get on Google about that is closed threads saying there is no reason for 64bit RetroPie... which I hope you all understand there is.

addendum: I did see there was a 32 but release of dolphin for Android but that it's very old and probably very bad; but it is something I am investigating.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Tinkering is fun but if it's something for your mom just buy her another Wii for 30 bucks so it will work and not piss her off.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Inept posted:

Tinkering is fun but if it's something for your mom just buy her another Wii for 30 bucks so it will work and not piss her off.

granted.

min cost I can find one for is 80 so not that cheap btw. i just hope it can be soft modded/ rooted since all of Nintendo's eShop service is down .

edit: you don't even need to have a copy of legend of Zelda or figure out what firmware you need anymore- you just need to connect to a server and then look at the license agreement. drat it got a lot easier.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 18, 2022

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
What kind of Pi are you planning on running it on? Even a Pi 4 would be questionable for Dolphin performance. It can kind of maybe run some GameCube games, even a simple Wii game like that could be problematic. Definitely not as good as running it on a real Wii, or a PC.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

EVIL Gibson posted:

min cost I can find one for is 80 so not that cheap btw. i just hope it can be soft modded/ rooted since all of Nintendo's eShop service is down .

I see several around me on craigslist for $30 or less. They don't read discs but who cares about that.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Inept posted:

This, always this.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Inept posted:

:emptyquote:

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I was just about to come in here and ask what I did wrong with my pi camera, but I found the stupid Sunny Connector had disconnected. I used gel-backed tape that had contracted over time / temperature and pulled it off the board.

PySpectrometer was a fun build and it works pretty well! I figure I made every mistake you can assembling it, so I must be learning something.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Anyone know of a good way to make a timelapse machine out of a pi and a webcam? I am using MotionEyeOS but i need to run a batch ffmpeg line to get it set; and for some reason its doing weird things with the webcam frame size. Rotated image plus only pulling a 360x480 corner out of the full 1080 frame. Is there something easier with just ffmpeg and time'd snapshots maybe?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Would you be able to code something yourself? There's probably some sort of python library for the camera and you could just write a script that grabs an image every however much time.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I made one and couldn’t believe how easy and amazing it was. By made, I mean I put the camera on the pi and flashed the Sd card. It was almost totally turnkey. Can’t imagine using a webcam would be too different. I’ll have to look it up later, but you should be able to find it. PiCam or something… I think this thread tipped me off to it

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

namlosh posted:

I made one and couldn’t believe how easy and amazing it was. By made, I mean I put the camera on the pi and flashed the Sd card. It was almost totally turnkey. Can’t imagine using a webcam would be too different. I’ll have to look it up later, but you should be able to find it. PiCam or something… I think this thread tipped me off to it

I just found Motion; so I have that grabbing photos. Looks like that's working.
Now i just need to slap the pics into a video.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
I didn't know whether this was a Raspi question or a Plex question, but I'll start here: I have a Zero W. It is 32bit. I want to run a 64bit thing on it (Plexamp headless). Pi Zero 2 is 64bit but also all Pis are currently manufactured out of unobtanium. So... what's the next best alternative? I've started to look around the single-board stuff — Pis that aren't Pis — but there's so much out there I'm a bit lost.

My ideal would be something similar to the Pi Zero, either with a 40-pin header that'll take the Hifiberry Dac I've got (assuming I can get that to work) or an aux-out that isn't so garbage as the Pi one. It needs to be wireless, as it lives behind a speaker on top of the fridge in my kitchen. Currently I have a satellite install of mpdaemon running on it that points to the db sitting on a 4B that's in the living room (which also runs mpd and outputs to my hifi), which is attached to the storage where the music is. It's fine, I guess, but it's also very, very slow on the kitchen pi and frequently the controller app just loses it. I'm hoping that Plexamp headless will Just Work and I can move all my media over to being Plex-managed.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jeherrin posted:

Pi Zero 2 is 64bit but also all Pis are currently manufactured out of unobtanium. So... what's the next best alternative? I've started to look around the single-board stuff — Pis that aren't Pis — but there's so much out there I'm a bit lost.

My ideal would be something similar to the Pi Zero, either with a 40-pin header that'll take the Hifiberry Dac I've got (assuming I can get that to work)

So the good news is that most pi-clones with the 40 GPIO pins are pin-compatible with the Pi, so once you get the software working it will probably work with the DAC.

The bad news is that no pi-clones are going to be compatible with a pre-made Pi OS image. So the process of making the software work is to start from a generic armbian image -> install everything yourself.