Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Mr. Lobe posted:

Burning Kansas

call the john brown fire brigade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

WaryWarren posted:

yeah the last apartment I lived in in Italy was a top floor apartment with south and west facing windows. It got down to 27-30C at night and would get up to 35C during the day inside the apt. There was an A/C unit, but it was on the ceiling over the loft (wtf?). My roommate told me he'd kill me if I turned it on (insane utility prices). Then he freaked out, because I purchased an oscillating fan for my bedroom since Italians believe you'll get deathly ill sleeping in front of fan all night. Every day that summer was 35-37C, with the rare day with an afternoon thunderstorm to cool things off. Never again.

Lol that's not just the Koreans? I stayed in Orvieto for a month in 2007 in a roof apartment and it sucked. I had to take cold showers constantly.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Armacham posted:

Lol that's not just the Koreans? I stayed in Orvieto for a month in 2007 in a roof apartment and it sucked. I had to take cold showers constantly.

some Turkish people believe it can cause facial paralysis. America might be exceptional in disbelieving Fan Danger

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

mawarannahr posted:

some Turkish people believe it can cause facial paralysis. America might be exceptional in disbelieving Fan Danger

I sleep with a fan on most nights, and half my face's paralyzed, so maybe they're onto something.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Spangly A posted:

Woah I can't believe the model says different things for different days

It's the same day, that's the point genius.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
hm i would simply build a model that discards any data which makes me feel uncomfortable about the outcome

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Laterite posted:

hm i would simply build a model that discards any data which makes me feel uncomfortable about the outcome

found the guy who's been in charge of climate change response for the last sixty years

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Laterite posted:

What if I told you every twelve hours over 100 different weather models are run, producing forecasts for the entire planet over the next two weeks. Which one will you choose?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

SirPablo posted:

It's the same day, that's the point genius.

Yes, it is the latest model for the Tuesday. You mentioned it was less extreme than the one two weeks ago, which was for this weekend. These are different days.

Paradoxish posted:

You're thinking of Reid Blackburn, who also died there. Robert Landsburg definitely seems to have intentionally tried to protect his photos once he realized what was happening, and his photos did survive.

Goddamn multiple photographers hung around a giant volcano waiting to get melted? In their memory I will take suicidal photographs of the ancient forest near my house if the pines all catch fire this weekend

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

OrangéJéllo
Aug 31, 2001

SirPablo posted:

What if I told you every twelve hours over 100 different weather models are run, producing forecasts for the entire planet over the next two weeks. Which one will you choose?

The good one dummy.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

SirPablo posted:

XTRP

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

OrangéJéllo posted:

The good one dummy.

Haha, a beginners mistake!

You obviously pick the worst one and assume the opposite.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

Hexigrammus posted:

Cool - the Yukon is turning into California. It's a race to see how much of the territory will be burned down by lightning strikes during a heat wave before the floods and mudslides put out the fires. At least they haven't had a metre's worth of rain dumped on them like part of Australia.

- major highways have been closed or restricted to travelling in convoy behind pilot vehicles.
- residents advised to stay the gently caress home. If you must travel stock up on survival supplies first because you'll be on your own if poo poo happens.
- major fibre optic cable has been taken out by a fire, screwing up internet access. Then one of the telecoms had a wee problem with some maintenance and took their entire network of phone, text, and internet access off line for the better part of a day.

Friend of mine finished her job and left at the beginning of July. Made it out just in time.

:tif:

Lmao, is this what happened? I was supposed to finish a document review with a coworker in our Canada office on Friday, and I had thought they were just ghosting me all day until they messaged me in distress (via public wifi served by a different provider) because their cell phone, home internet, and office internet were all down and the entire rest of the country was having the same problem. Thanks, climate!

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Lol

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

More pills

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

You just got NAM'd.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

SirPablo posted:

The 1st one. Don't second guess yourself.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Cygna posted:

Lmao, is this what happened? I was supposed to finish a document review with a coworker in our Canada office on Friday, and I had thought they were just ghosting me all day until they messaged me in distress (via public wifi served by a different provider) because their cell phone, home internet, and office internet were all down and the entire rest of the country was having the same problem. Thanks, climate!

it owned because it also took down 911 in a bunch of places, iirc the police here tweeted that you have to go into a police station if there's a crime which doesn't seem particularly helpful during a major internet outage

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Some of y’all still don’t get it. You can run multiple weather models on the same planet.

Speaking of Canada, wasn’t some part of the country basically cut off from the outside world when a major bridge/road was taken out during a flood? Whatever happened with that?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Pulcinella posted:

Some of y’all still don’t get it. You can run multiple weather models on the same planet.

Speaking of Canada, wasn’t some part of the country basically cut off from the outside world when a major bridge/road was taken out during a flood? Whatever happened with that?

Nah, Vancouver was accessible by sea only, but that isn't a major problem for that area without a second disaster to go with it.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

endlessmonotony posted:

Nah, Vancouver was accessible by sea only, but that isn't a major problem for that area without a second disaster to go with it.

i think they're talking abou tthe mountain pass road on the mainland that got washed out

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

endlessmonotony posted:

Fires did this recently, but in 2016 the Nipigon River Bridge partially failed and closed the Trans‐Canada Highway and split the country in two.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

SirPablo posted:

Here's the latest forecast from one run of the one model. Not as hot as the one EXTREME forecast, still very hot.

last one is at t=24 not t=204 but the underlying point is still good.

Also, no one else pointing this out while people divine conclusions from that particular plot about spain and portugal is... unfortunate.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Thanks! So many weather crises I’m not even sure which one it was. Those all sound familiar.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Purple pill this

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Or this one haha

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

rip our chickens

gonna have to spray them with a hose every half hour

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Platystemon posted:

In 2016 the Nipigon River Bridge failed and closed the Trans‐Canada Highway and split the country in two.

I want to see a movie that starts with this text card

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

SirPablo posted:

Purple pill this

I wonder what's causing that cool island north of Houston

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

that's where SirPablo lives and his aura of self-satisfaction keeps the area cool

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

A thunderstorm

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

neutral milf hotel posted:

that's where SirPablo lives and his aura of self-satisfaction keeps the area cool

He's calling himself the thunderstorm now

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Dustcat posted:

rip our chickens

gonna have to spray them with a hose every half hour

I was able to keep mine alive through 117°F/47°C last year, shade and a lot of water.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

He's calling himself the thunderstorm now

Yo soy El Niño

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

SirPablo posted:

Or this one haha

magnifying glass prank goes WRONG

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Hopefully the entirety of Montgomery County blasting off into space and a void of all things remaining.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
If one single model puts that purple poo poo over me I'm going to be so pissed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

SirPablo posted:

Or this one haha

100 in phoenix hell yeah