Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

I'm so 100% about that, this poo poo is the platonic ideal of Youtube and I've spent all day watching this lady so earnestly talk about puzzles.

Anyone got any other good recs for stuff like this? Just any person very unironically and happily talking about super niche hobbies? Put me on fuckin, I dunno, stamp collector youtube or whatever, I need distractions from hellworld.

How about the Modern Rogues? Basically, two middle-aged dads trying out various things in a quest to be a Modern Rogue (tm). Here's my favourite videos of them, talking about Chinese tea-drinking culture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hn9Uw4Lqk8&t=1450s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

RareAcumen posted:

But I might just be forgetting more of Pocahontas than I realized, I don't remember Governor Ratcliffe having that energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhEna64S4z4

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
well then

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

drat near every Disney Renaissance film villain is immensely queer-coded. The only one who really isn't is Frollo from Hunchback of Notre Dame, mainly because the whole crux of his character is his blatant heterosexual lust, and even he's still prone to some very femme overacting, especially in the Hellfire sequence.

It's kind of like how William Blake read Paradise Lost as a pro-Satan text: Lucifer may be an rear end in a top hat, but he gets all the great moments and he seems much cooler than stodgy old God.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

RareAcumen posted:

I dunno, I'm looking at the list and I think it might just be Hades and Scar. But I might just be forgetting more of Pocahontas than I realized, I don't remember Governor Ratcliffe having that energy. I might just need things spoonfed to me because I'm not fully convinced when it comes to Clayton, Gaston, Shan Yu and Jafar.

I googled the movies that fit that timeframe because I've still got a shelf of VHS movies from when I was kid but still have no idea what was made first. I was about to say 'Weird I don't remember Captain Hook being queer-coded at all, he seemed to just be a cartoon of a man.' :v:

Clayton mostly get their queer coding from the associated recurring trope of making the villain more vain or appearance-focused than the hero. Now, obviously, vanity and being LGBTQ+ are not in any way related in the real world, but it's become heavily tied up in fictional portrayals of gay men in the 20th century. The idea is that a man being focused on his appearance is effeminate and gay men are effeminate. Clayton isn't necessarily effeminate in his personality but his design, especially in contrast to the more rugged Tarzan, deliberately evokes the image of a more well-kempt, slightly effeminate aristocrat, what with his tiny mustache and well-groomed hair.

Jafar's kind of a tricky one for me as I definitely think he's queer coded to some degree in his mannerisms, but can't really articulate in specifics? He's basically theatrical and dramatic along the same lines as Captain Hook or Scar.

Gaston also has the whole vanity and image consciousness thing going for him as a character, but his queer coding also comes from his interactions with his little sycophant sidekick LeFou. While Gaston himself isn't really queer coded through his own actions LeFou's fawning admiration of the guy, especially in Gaston's big villain number, creates a major association in the audience's mind between Gaston and same-sex attraction.

Shan Yu doesn't have enough of a personality to be coded as anything but a scary, foreign invader man. So yeah, he's probably the actual least queer-coded Disney Renaissance villain.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1546881848927604736

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Ratcliffe falls under the same umbrella as Gaston where he's vain, he has that whole musical number where he minces down a flight of stairs in a shimmering gold cape, and he's also got a fawning sycophant with a little yappy lapdog. You especially contrast him with John Smith who is the rugged manly action hero type. Everything about the villains says they're the "wrong" kind of men which is bundled up with general homophobia in our culture.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, Pocahontas was a Moana first draft after all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93lrosBEW-Q

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPN7TrMEa2k
Man kind of wild how much of a serious actor Matthew Lillard at 19 before getting typecasted was pretty funny to find out

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

You gotta post the tweet that must have angered the terf defense squad, which is both the most outright throat-ripping I've seen Jenny be in public social media and a perfectly crafted insult that only someone who once genuinely liked her poo poo before having it ruined by JK being a trash monster could write.

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1546677277949251585

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yeah I like most of Harry Potter (the fanfiction version) but not Joey K.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Okay, this whole thing about the YouTube algorithm prioritizing long-form content is getting out of hand...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8wfa_Oa7FY

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s not the perfect punishment, but I’m glad that terfs have painted themselves into the corner of having to pretend to like Harry Potter and especially her lovely detective stories.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

sexpig by night posted:

You gotta post the tweet that must have angered the terf defense squad, which is both the most outright throat-ripping I've seen Jenny be in public social media and a perfectly crafted insult that only someone who once genuinely liked her poo poo before having it ruined by JK being a trash monster could write.

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1546677277949251585

Jenny is masterclass because I can just imagine her saying that in her very sweet yet no-nonsense tone of voice that lets you know she means exactly what she says and no she will not elaborate any further because you also know exactly what she means.

I agree, this is concise and savage

I AM GRANDO posted:

It’s not the perfect punishment, but I’m glad that terfs have painted themselves into the corner of having to pretend to like Harry Potter and especially her lovely detective stories.

It's ironic because the very same people slobbering over her now probably wrote her off as a liberal sjw, even as recently as 5 years ago. She tried so hard to write some obvious Trump allegory in her newest movie completely oblivious to the fact she probably has more Trump-supporting fans now than anyone vaguely left leaning.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Happy Landfill posted:

It's ironic because the very same people slobbering over her now probably wrote her off as a liberal sjw, even as recently as 5 years ago. She tried so hard to write some obvious Trump allegory in her newest movie completely oblivious to the fact she probably has more Trump-supporting fans now than anyone vaguely left leaning.

Yeah, things seemed to initially trend that way when Just Kidding said Dumbledore was gay. The fans briefly rode high on it until they asked her about other representation and we got Anthony Goldstein, Jewish Wizard Banker and so on and now here we are.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Wendover Productions breaks down the economics that allow YouTube creators to be self-sustaining:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoWcQUjNM8o

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

I dunno, I'm looking at the list and I think it might just be Hades and Scar. But I might just be forgetting more of Pocahontas than I realized, I don't remember Governor Ratcliffe having that energy. I might just need things spoonfed to me because I'm not fully convinced when it comes to Clayton, Gaston, Shan Yu and Jafar.

I googled the movies that fit that timeframe because I've still got a shelf of VHS movies from when I was kid but still have no idea what was made first. I was about to say 'Weird I don't remember Captain Hook being queer-coded at all, he seemed to just be a cartoon of a man.' :v:

Clayton, Jafar, and Gaston are queer as poo poo, yes. Shan Yu, not so much. Shan Yu is a brick shithouse of rigid, implacable heterosexuality because he dresses in drab colours, doesn't do any wild movements or gestures and has like 5 lines in Mulan, three of them barely audible :v:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

the gay in Mulan was all with Captain Shang going "wait i'm attracted to this hot boy... am I gay... oh he's a girl... i'm straight? [the three guys in drag provides an elongated educational session on queer theories] ok i guess it doesn't matter, Mu Ping Lan let's get married "

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, things seemed to initially trend that way when Just Kidding said Dumbledore was gay. The fans briefly rode high on it until they asked her about other representation and we got Anthony Goldstein, Jewish Wizard Banker and so on and now here we are.

I've actually always thought it was Rowling who's been riding the high of the Dumbledore thing and just never quite knew how to catch that same breeze. That prank video was really telling with the whole, "I think this will look good for me on social media" thing. I think that's how she's been operating; she'll do whatever looks good in headlines and retweets.

Like Trump, actually.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

She defended casting a black actress for Hermione in that one play, which she got poo poo over, and naturally she had to go one step further to look at good as possible by claiming it was her intent all along in the standard weird attempt to retcon her life.

Now that the terf brain rot has settled in, I imagine she’ll be busy trying to beat Linehan’s record for speedrunning career suicide. Gonna be tough given how much farther down she has to go, but given her cozying up to an outright fascist, I’m sure she’ll be crying about her divorce before a government body in no time!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It’s hard for her to commit career suicide when she makes so much money from Harry Potter. She could buy her own publisher if she wanted

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

yeah she could have gone the james frey route of starting a publisher churning out YA novels but i guess to her that means enriching other people other than herself

although frey didn't enrich the authors either, lol

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Pants Donkey posted:

She defended casting a black actress for Hermione in that one play, which she got poo poo over, and naturally she had to go one step further to look at good as possible by claiming it was her intent all along in the standard weird attempt to retcon her life.

This of course makes the whole subplot of everyone thinking she's being intrusive and rude and annoying by....trying to advocate that the wizards shouldn't own slaves even darker and more hosed up.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

If she hadn't had tried to pull the whole, "Maybe Hermione was black all along who knooooowww ;) ;);)"...Like, come on Joann, we all know that's not the case. :nallears: It's like she almost gets it, and then goes way too far in one direction and makes it weird.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

yeah she could have gone the james frey route of starting a publisher churning out YA novels but i guess to her that means enriching other people other than herself

although frey didn't enrich the authors either, lol

Yeah, James Frey set up the equivalent of a YA novel sweatshop. He snookered MFA program grads into a Faustian iron clad contract that got their time and effort and got them published* with the stipulation that all their work had to be published under a collective pseudonym, Frey had complete creative control over it and could fire them at any moment for any reason, they could claim no credit for it or use it to build their own careers off of or they'd be sued for breach of contract, and all the money went to Frey, aside from a $250 advance, if I recall correctly.

James Frey is a legitimately evil son of a bitch and every time I run across another one of those godawful Lorien Legacy books which are the primary product of said YA sweatshop, I want to pick it up and hurl it across the book store into the furthest, darkest corner I can find.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 13, 2022

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Yeah, if you thought someone couldn't sink any further than bullshitting a "memoir" about getting sober. Seriously, gently caress that guy. Wish Oprah would read him for filth on live tv again. A genuine shitbag

Oh my god, if you want to listen to three people trash A Million Little Pieces, please check out this episode of the I Don't Even Own A Television podcast. I'm honestly shocked anyone thought this book was true. Or good.
https://www.idontevenownatelevision.com/2017/09/04/089-a-million-little-pieces-w-lauren-parker/

edit: replaced first link with the link to their actual site. Real good podcast if you're looking for something new to listen to! Highly recommend

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 13, 2022

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Happy Landfill posted:

If she hadn't had tried to pull the whole, "Maybe Hermione was black all along who knooooowww ;) ;);)"...Like, come on Joann, we all know that's not the case. :nallears: It's like she almost gets it, and then goes way too far in one direction and makes it weird.

It’s the same “Oh yeah I’ve always had this planned out” obvious lie she’s done at least since halfway through writing the HP books. Maybe she was always like this and it’s just become more obvious as she keeps doing it. I don’t know.

She’s convinced herself she’s always right and smart. If something wasn’t planned, she’ll lie and say it was because she can’t let anyone think she was dumb or careless. Maybe that’s also why she’ll never crawl out of the hate bog she fell in either. Doing so would mean acknowledging she was ever wrong or on the bad side of a major issue.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

She’s convinced herself she’s always right and smart. If something wasn’t planned, she’ll lie and say it was because she can’t let anyone think she was dumb or careless. Maybe that’s also why she’ll never crawl out of the hate bog she fell in either. Doing so would mean acknowledging she was ever wrong or on the bad side of a major issue.
I think the biggest problem is that she's always been vindicated in the end. In hindsight she's always been in the right in her "controversies"--when her books first came out people wanted them burned or banned for devil worship, or whatever, and with the Dumbledore thing as the fight for gay rights was becoming more and more mainstream, and especially when people tried to nitpick or criticize her unfairly and it became some sort of Feminist talking point where she was ultimately seen as being on the Correct side of whatever the issue was. I think that's part** of why she's doubling down so hard on the transphobia--she's just always been on the winning side in the past and has always been seen as having the correct standpoint and anyone who criticizes her have been on the Bad Side of the fight. Especially with the rise of social media and twitter and you see all the "JKR CLAPS BACK" headlines and whatever. I just think that convincing her that Maybe This Time She's Wrong is going to be really difficult.

...I wish I could think of more examples of what I'm trying to articulate. I'm sorry if this doesn't make a ton of sense but this has been stewing in my head for a long time. :11tea:

**Edit: And, to be clear, she is also doubling down because she is transphobic

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 13, 2022

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
If the wizards used to just poop their robes and magic the poop away, why didn't they just magic the poop away while it was still in their butts in the first place

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

you can only rosebud yourself so many times a week

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Jenny Nicholson had a really funny bit about all her obviously not planned things. By going back to all those statements about JK's initial notes.

"Boy wizard in a cubbard, the snake is an Asian lady."

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Happy Landfill posted:

It's peak Blaritite Liberalism. Knowing that racism/bigotry/etc are bad but not actually understanding why, how it actually manifests and what you can do to push back against it, nor caring to actually rectify that in any way. So she and her kin make weird and half-assed stabs at diversity in their output and react BADLY when people give them even the gentlest nudge that they hosed up. How dare you not give her money for inventing minority wizards with deeply offensive names off the cuff, gently caress you actually.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Happy Landfill posted:

I remember reading about this in the 'Why I'm no longer talking to White people about racism' book - I would be interested in hearing the author's thoughts on Rowling now, since it came out before the naked psycho-billy attitude came to light.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Jenny advancing to the next round in the NBA Slam Dunk Contest…

https://twitter.com/jennyenicholson/status/1547140198680518656

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Alaois posted:

would you rather watch titan ae or treasure planet

yes

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

SteelMentor posted:

It's peak Blaritite Liberalism. Knowing that racism/bigotry/etc are bad but not actually understanding why, how it actually manifests and what you can do to push back against it, nor caring to actually rectify that in any way. So she and her kin make weird and half-assed stabs at diversity in their output and react BADLY when people give them even the gentlest nudge that they hosed up. How dare you not give her money for inventing minority wizards with deeply offensive names off the cuff, gently caress you actually.

Yeah like, as it is now her treatment of the Dumbledore character is trending to homophobic in the plausible deniability way, imo. He can be gay so long as he remains the good, celibate, asexual gay man who doesn't flaunt it all over. She has more money than Jesus, if she was actually interested in putting representation in her films there'd be more than one couple and/or she could have argued for actual on-screen affection.

This is why she's comfortable aligning with homophobes along with transphobes. I don't believe for a second she won't drop the rest of the LGBT when it suits her, she doesn't actually care even if she'd like to think she does.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The Shrieking Shack wondered if the only reason she made Dumbledore gay (which the text in book seven at least somewhat supported) was because it was meant to underline how wrong it was of Dumbledore to even fall in love with ol' Grindelwald.
And then she turned it around by making the implied explicit to gain points with her fans instead.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
JK Rowling unintentionally made Harry Potter bi

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Violet_Sky posted:

JK Rowling unintentionally made Harry Potter bi

Please explain. :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Ariong posted:

Please explain. :munch:

im guessing this is in relation to how whenever he sees memories of his dad/lupin/etc when they were his age the narration never shuts the gently caress up about how handsome they all are (bc jkr is a heterosexual woman so ofc she's gonna mention the dudes are attractive) to the point it literally reads like harry is crushing on his dad's high school mates :v: shriekcast kept losing their minds whenever that kind of stuff came up in the later books