Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Those Kroot own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I was hoping Kroot would get something new for KT, goddamn

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Winklebottom posted:

Those Kroot own

So do the breachers.

I have no idea what possessed GW to go with this pairing, but they're good looking models, and I like the idea of crossing Kill Team with a dungeon space hulk crawl.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

mllaneza posted:

So do the breachers.

I have no idea what possessed GW to go with this pairing, but they're good looking models, and I like the idea of crossing Kill Team with a dungeon space hulk crawl.

oh yeah, no doubt. It’s nice to see something outside of the Guard

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Winklebottom posted:

oh yeah, no doubt. It’s nice to see something outside of the Guard

Hell yeah this is exactly the kind of poo poo I want to see them do in KT. Teams of little things that exist in lore and have maybe had a weird miniature or two in the past.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

What are ways to handle a team getting a new version mid-season in Blood Bowl?

Do you just have the players stay with the old roster/rules, convert the players to what the new positions are (eg: Amazon catchers becoming blockers) and recalculate TV, have the player redraft, or something else?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Floppychop posted:

Do you just have the players stay with the old roster/rules, convert the players to what the new positions are (eg: Amazon catchers becoming blockers) and recalculate TV, have the player redraft, or something else?

I would say so long as you still have access to the old rules you should probably stick with those until the end of the season. Seems like its by far the easiest solution.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Floppychop posted:

Mostly up to your commissioner. I’d say you finish out the season with the old roster because things can theoretically change a bunch if skill access/player costs change too much, and unless you’re running a continuous league, they can probably wait until the end of the current season.

Got to ref/witness a quarter-finals game in my league yesterday, and it was one of the best I’ve seen - Elven Union versus Lizardmen. Came down to overtime, and the clutch skills ended up being Leap and Diving Tackle, with Elves managing a 2-1 victory despite losing most of their team.

I’m still in the running for the championship myself - just gotta beat Snotlings and Slann to make it there with my Renegades. Assuming my Minotaur survives and manages to get some SPP, I’ll have enough for a new chosen General or Agility skill - Tackle sounds like a great option, but a Blodge minotaur is also super-appealing.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Its a small thing I think its really cool that the studio scheme for the Amazons is done with Mesoamerican skintones.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I was seriously considering a Kroot KT before deciding on Scouts because I thought GW had no interest in the Space Parrots :doh:

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

Hedningen posted:

I’m still in the running for the championship myself - just gotta beat Snotlings and Slann to make it there with my Renegades. Assuming my Minotaur survives and manages to get some SPP, I’ll have enough for a new chosen General or Agility skill - Tackle sounds like a great option, but a Blodge minotaur is also super-appealing.

Tackle or Claw (do Renegades even get M access any more?) depending on your meta. Minotaurs are for killing things. Once you've killed enough things then maybe BT for mobility, but also somewhat lacklustre on a 4+ Loner. Stand next to things and beat them until they cease to exist.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

Its a small thing I think its really cool that the studio scheme for the Amazons is done with Mesoamerican skintones.

Yeah, gotta agree there

Professor Shark posted:

I was seriously considering a Kroot KT before deciding on Scouts because I thought GW had no interest in the Space Parrots :doh:

Heh yeah, I had strongly considered Kroot for a KT ages ago as well, before settling on IGs last edition. (So in hindsight I'm glad I went IG, since otherwise I would've been waiting a while for models liked these! :v: )
If I get into new KT though, I might need to take a closer look at Kroot again - since they're definitely cool looking things

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Redvenom posted:

Tackle or Claw (do Renegades even get M access any more?) depending on your meta. Minotaurs are for killing things. Once you've killed enough things then maybe BT for mobility, but also somewhat lacklustre on a 4+ Loner. Stand next to things and beat them until they cease to exist.

Yeah, Tackle is gonna be the key, I suspect. Every team I’ll have to face is dodgy and will likely flee before my violence.

I think I can cover most angles, though? I’ve got a few pieces for every situation: three possible ball carriers (2-heads goblin, 2-heads MA+ Dodge Skaven, Dodge/Dauntless Dark Elf), three cage centers/flex pieces (Monstrous Mouth Linewomen, Cannoneer Thrower), a few utility pieces (Block/Horns/2h Line, Horns Line, Big Hand/Pro line, Block Ork), and my Big Guys (Block Mino, Pro Ogre, and Arm Bar/Stand Firm/Guard/Brawler Rogre). I just let the team develop organically, so no idea if I’m missing anything, but it’s full of redundancies and at least three pieces with any given skill choice needed.

Claw is wasted at this point in the season, barring Star Player inducements, so likely Tackle. May try to get Block and/or Tackle on another line if I get a chance, or if I somehow get enough SPP for the Rat Ogre to grab a General.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Redvenom posted:

Break Tackle sucks for big guys in the new rules, IMO. Claw would be good, but Pro is always nice on Big Guys for risk-free negatrait rerolls.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

were there any mordheim mutant models for cult of the possessed or were you just expected to kitbash them?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

jarofpiss posted:

were there any mordheim mutant models for cult of the possessed or were you just expected to kitbash them?

they came as a boxed set with the axe magister, a possessed, two darksouls, and four pointy-hat cultists. they came in blisters as well. the whole line was white metal.

the possessed were kinda cool for how modular they were, but the rest of the gang was not great. i had forgotten that they did the pointed hat/torch thing that was supposed to read as inquisition or witch cult but landed in KKK-esque in the US, although not quite as badly as redemptionists did. probably because they're just such forgettable models.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i think the possessed warband i got was missing a darksoul and the head to the possessed model. i’ve got some frostgrave cultists on order and should be able to put together a couple of mutants with those sprues, i think the pointy hat is great for cultists and im glad it’s back

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Spanish Manlove posted:

One of the local dudes made a single page pdf cheat sheet for each of his kill teams with all the rules as lmao there's so many books to carry around.

Wait, how many books are there rn? I haven't played much past the release, but with my Krieg painted, I may have to.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The rulebook, the compendium and then one book for each boxed set plus a set of White Dwarfs. The non-pendium teams are scattered all over the place.

Found out my friend owns the KT starter set so I might get to try this soon. :toot: / :retrogames:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

JcDent posted:

Wait, how many books are there rn? I haven't played much past the release, but with my Krieg painted, I may have to.

Core rules, compendium, octarius, chalnath, nachmund, nephelim, dataslate, faqs, and a bunch of white dwarfs

Just give us an app that doesn't suck

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Is that what I would need to buy to actually play KT? gently caress thattt

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Professor Shark posted:

no

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Professor Shark posted:

You need the main book and whatever book has the rules for the army you want to play or Wahapedia

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Core rules, compendium, octarius, chalnath, nachmund, nephelim, dataslate, faqs, and a bunch of white dwarfs

Just give us an app that doesn't suck

What do non-Core/FAQ/Octarous books add that I'd need to run my Veteran Guardsmen?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

JcDent posted:

What do non-Core/FAQ/Octarous books add that I'd need to run my Veteran Guardsmen?

The Octarius book gives the Guard all their special stuff, roles, gear, &c.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Cease to Hope posted:

the possessed were kinda cool for how modular they were, but the rest of the gang was not great. i had forgotten that they did the pointed hat/torch thing that was supposed to read as inquisition or witch cult but landed in KKK-esque in the US, although not quite as badly as redemptionists did. probably because they're just such forgettable models.
Nobody thought KKK, just like nobody thought KKK with Redemptionists. The hobby wasn't full of edgelords and nazis at the time, so while you might have got "that one guy" at your FLGS who did paint them like that, people were just like "cool pointy hat." Honestly, up until the rise of social media loving everything up, the KKK was pretty much looked down upon as fringe, almost joke (not "haha" joke, but more "lame rear end rednecks"), group at that time.

Unlike now, unfortunately. :smith:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

JcDent posted:

nothing

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

berzerkmonkey posted:

Nobody thought KKK, just like nobody thought KKK with Redemptionists. The hobby wasn't full of edgelords and nazis at the time, so while you might have got "that one guy" at your FLGS who did paint them like that, people were just like "cool pointy hat." Honestly, up until the rise of social media loving everything up, the KKK was pretty much looked down upon as fringe, almost joke (not "haha" joke, but more "lame rear end rednecks"), group at that time.

Unlike now, unfortunately. :smith:

IDK about no one, the models never really bothered me but I remember thinking "I'll go for a faction that doesn't wear pointed hoods" while looking at Necromunda in my earlier hobby days.

E: I'm Canadian FWIW

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jul 12, 2022

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The next kt box (new sick kroot vs new boring wannabe judge dreads) is going to have a rulebook with the rules updates from the interim boxes. Not rules for the bespoke teams, the rules for terrain etc I think.

E: I mention this because the interim boxes between octarius and now did not have a rulebook.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Did the KKK have the same cultural pervasiveness in the UK?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
oh those models are cool. not as cool as the solar auxilia models, but pretty cool

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Crackbone posted:

Did the KKK have the same cultural pervasiveness in the UK?

Nah pointy hoods reads as catholic inquisition in most of Europe. Or kids singing songs on S:t Lucia’s day if you’re Swedish.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

This kind of conical hoods are popular in Spain as part of religious processions (it is called Capirote or something like that) but as far as I understand it does go back to inquisition. They also exist in some form in Italy

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Covermeinsunshine posted:

This kind of conical hoods are popular in Spain as part of religious processions (it is called Capirote or something like that) but as far as I understand it does go back to inquisition. They also exist in some form in Italy

It is indeed called a capirote and is literally a dunce cap. It's meant to signify that the person is doing penance and hides their shame from other people.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah the KKK association with pointy hoods is a uniquely North American thing until recently. Hate groups in Europe had a different set of signifiers.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I figure as long as the hoods arnt white, Cawdor gets a pass on thier pointy hoods. Pointy hoods are just such a good asthetic that just screams "crazy cultist"

Go red or blue or green or whatever But never white hood.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

berzerkmonkey posted:

Nobody thought KKK, just like nobody thought KKK with Redemptionists. The hobby wasn't full of edgelords and nazis at the time

this is a very rosy view of the past. if it's reflective of your experiences at the time, i'm glad.

in any case, the chaos cultists often had their weapons modeled up against their body, making kitbashing difficult. on top of that, besides the darksouls with their demonic grimace masks, the human models were pretty generic. if GW repackaged them as "Sigmar cultists" or "Ulric cultists", they would've worked just as well. mordheim suffered a bit from this, in that many of the gangs were just made of forgettable guys with no real aesthetic.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 12, 2022

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cease to Hope posted:

this is a very rosy view of the past. if it's reflective of your experiences at the time, i'm glad.

in any case, the chaos cultists often had their weapons modeled up against their body, making kitbashing difficult. on top of that, besides the darksouls with their demonic grimace masks, the human models were pretty generic. if GW repackaged them as "Sigmar cultists" or "Ulric cultists", they would've worked just as well. mordheim suffered a bit from this, in that many of the gangs were just made of forgettable guys with no real aesthetic.

The good thing about it is these days you can buy 2 boxes of Frostgrave stuff and have all the minions you ever need.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Cease to Hope posted:

mordheim suffered a bit from this, in that many of the gangs were just made of forgettable guys with no real aesthetic.

Hard agree. Aside from a handful of all-time classic sculpts, Mordheim was largely filled with pretty crappy miniatures in restricted poses. Even the lame ones are bafflingly valuable on eBay now, so clearly not everyone agrees.

(Seriously, classic Mordheim minis tend to sell for even more than the - much older yet generally much better - classic Necromunda minis)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Squibsy posted:

Hard agree. Aside from a handful of all-time classic sculpts, Mordheim was largely filled with pretty crappy miniatures in restricted poses. Even the lame ones are bafflingly valuable on eBay now, so clearly not everyone agrees.

(Seriously, classic Mordheim minis tend to sell for even more than the - much older yet generally much better - classic Necromunda minis)

On the other hand, a lot of the good mordheim sculpts were above and beyond contemporary whfb sculpts. Kinda like warcry and underworlds often beat the crap out of the things mafe for aos these days.