Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Game is good, but definitely needs some time to bake and actually communicate things to the player other than "just do some things and some other things will appear and hopefully you correctly identify what and why", also guessing how much money you're getting from any job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
is there any way to help optimize stamina/resting usage? really hard to figure out if im killing myself once you start getting any stamina upgrades

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Coworker of mine is doing an Idler as a side project, and this is the only place other than a really bad Reddit that I know to talk about Idlers. Anyone mind talking with a new goon about them and maybe trying things out in the future?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Do you ever get an improvement to the autosell? Like I'd rather not sell ALL my rice, just like, more than one stack of it. I just want to be able to grow enough rice passively to feed myself.

Edit: I guess autoselling is the same as holding onto one per day since you buy and sell rice for the same cost.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 11, 2022

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

protip: unless you're growing something significantly better than rice from several thousand farms you're wasting your time and money farming.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So I finally made progress in this, decided to spam begging for a few lives until I could afford the speed upgrade manual and the "jobs stay post death" manual, then turned pause on death off, set Odd Jobs 9 and Rest 1 and let it go for a few hours, it's not efficient but over many many lives it finally got all my base skills to where I actually have options at the start of a run.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

So I finally made progress in this, decided to spam begging for a few lives until I could afford the speed upgrade manual and the "jobs stay post death" manual, then turned pause on death off, set Odd Jobs 9 and Rest 1 and let it go for a few hours, it's not efficient but over many many lives it finally got all my base skills to where I actually have options at the start of a run.

That's basically what I do at the start of every ascension.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Also each and every reincarnation gives you one more day to your base lifespan, up to 70 years (from the original 30), and those added years are crucial to killing enough monsters to get the grade 16 gem for the Reinforce Meridians Ascension. Makes it a good plan to ascend just before bed/work so you can start fresh with 10k multipliers in all your base stats and a few extra years of lifespan when you can get back to actively playing!

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Hughlander posted:

Coworker of mine is doing an Idler as a side project, and this is the only place other than a really bad Reddit that I know to talk about Idlers. Anyone mind talking with a new goon about them and maybe trying things out in the future?

Yeah when they have an alpha ready post it for sure. But also understand that this thread is filled with people who've played A LOT of these kinds of games. That means a lot of the feedback will help in avoiding the most common pitfalls when making an incremental game, but also that the criticism may be a lot more harsh than the reaction an ordinary person or the intended audience might have.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Also each and every reincarnation gives you one more day to your base lifespan, up to 70 years (from the original 30), and those added years are crucial to killing enough monsters to get the grade 16 gem for the Reinforce Meridians Ascension. Makes it a good plan to ascend just before bed/work so you can start fresh with 10k multipliers in all your base stats and a few extra years of lifespan when you can get back to actively playing!

I was wondering what the deal was. I'm up to 233 years on life 214, and my math is showing I need around 250 years lifespan to get to grade 16, as grade 13 gems start dropping at about year 240 (2^13*10 days)

Guess I need to self destruct for a little while.

Edit:
Pyromania + auto-buying land is a good way to last 7 days in the world. This shouldn't take long at all!
This would be a weird chapter in a book about this character's life.

Edit:

I think my math's off or something, maybe hunting is screwing me over?

Edit... again: New ability to get more lifespan, should finally be able to get this stupid grade 16 gem.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 12, 2022

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This would be a weird chapter in a book about this character's life.
eh, "rebirth means you can do self-destructive stupid poo poo for long-term gain and develop unhealthy habits" isn't unheard of

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
In Immortal how do you do more advanced stuff at the start?

The only things i can do is Odd Job and Begging.

I have unlocked the first 3 books so things go fast.

Am i meant to just use the auto rebirth to grind multipliers with Odd Job or have i missed a method to start out with being avle to do more advanced stuff?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Ineptitude posted:

In Immortal how do you do more advanced stuff at the start?

The only things i can do is Odd Job and Begging.

I have unlocked the first 3 books so things go fast.

Am i meant to just use the auto rebirth to grind multipliers with Odd Job or have i missed a method to start out with being avle to do more advanced stuff?

It's the first but the best way to blow out your skill multipliers is to go all in on alchemy.

Have a couple of days of fishing because Alchemy only increases water lore (the alchemy skill that increases your likelihood of producing a potion from herbs) when you successfully produce a potion.

Eventually, you'll be producing a tonne of potions which produce more potions which all boost your skills and then longevity pills which blow out your lifespan which makes it easier to tack on a few skill increasing jobs to your schedule.

You'll also get a boat load of cash which you can spend on house upgrades that boost your skill acquisition.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Evolve chat:

I've pillared once so far, just with my custom race.
16k plasmids, 3.2k antiplasmids, 16 dark energy, 33 harmony crystals. Dark energy farming doesn't seem to be even remotely worth it, so I haven't bothered.

I'm about to start my final Technophobe run in antimatter. After that, I'm going to do truepath (not in antimatter).

For pillaring, I assume the general approach is:

Find a nice planet in heavy universe
0* ascend with custom for the bonus
Do a 4* pillar ascension with each genus, inheriting slaver from my custom race every time
At some point when I get bored with ascensions, start pushing for the next reset tier?

I haven't touched the inflation or ooze scenarios, and I haven't done any of the valdi feats like bioseeding.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Dang, dying repeatedly to increment your base lifespan for an evening certainly trivializes the time management aspect of Immortality Idle. Having 500+ years from a fresh Ascension lets you quickly slam through the first few breakpoints, jump into lucrative alchemy and blaze your way towards cultivating your body enough so you can keep winning battles when looking for trouble. Is there anything more beyond ever-rising requirements for Ascensions or actions after Infuse Body?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
It caps at 70 for death spamming now if you refresh, it's on v 1.0.16

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Evolve chat:

I've pillared once so far, just with my custom race.
16k plasmids, 3.2k antiplasmids, 16 dark energy, 33 harmony crystals. Dark energy farming doesn't seem to be even remotely worth it, so I haven't bothered.

I'm about to start my final Technophobe run in antimatter. After that, I'm going to do truepath (not in antimatter).

For pillaring, I assume the general approach is:

Find a nice planet in heavy universe
0* ascend with custom for the bonus
Do a 4* pillar ascension with each genus, inheriting slaver from my custom race every time
At some point when I get bored with ascensions, start pushing for the next reset tier?

I haven't touched the inflation or ooze scenarios, and I haven't done any of the valdi feats like bioseeding.

I'm not doing that yet, but that's exactly what I would do if I was pushing it. There's at least one person in the discord who has done everything the last time I checked, so it might be worthwhile to ask there.

ImmortalityIdle: what's the best way to increase spirituality apart from the prayer shrine? I feel like there's some way that I've overlooked.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Chakan posted:

discord ... so it might be worthwhile to ask there.

I'm a weird old person who has a visceral hatred of discord and has no desire to actually be involved in a chatroom about a game.

I miss IRC. Why yes, I am turning 40 this week, why do you ask?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Chakan posted:

ImmortalityIdle: what's the best way to increase spirituality apart from the prayer shrine? I feel like there's some way that I've overlooked.

Randomly stumbling onto a follower that trains that (unlocked after Ascending each of the three ways??). Be warned they are not cheap and will bust in on your early reincarnations after about 50 years (or having a nice enough home/Charisma?) to drain your money away.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I'm a weird old person who has a visceral hatred of discord and has no desire to actually be involved in a chatroom about a game.

I miss IRC. Why yes, I am turning 40 this week, why do you ask?

I'm 38 and also grew up with IRC but warmed up to discord a few years ago and it's really pretty great. You can also make the chat look exactly like IRC if you want. As long as you immediately mute whatever server you join, it's pretty seamless.

Fiss
Jul 20, 2009

Chakan posted:

Body and Mind cultivation and Meditation all have a small chance to increase spirituality. The prayer shrine will give you the most spirituality until you hit 100k though. 100k spirituality will change meditation to give you guaranteed spirituality gains.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

How do you get the spirit gems for ascension?

I'm just seeing like lvl 5 and gently caress that

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Look for Trouble and killing the monsters that appear. Get high enough stats on your body and your weapons and you can one-hit kill your way to those thresholds.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
131 monsters for auto hunting.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
I started NGU Idle a few weeks ago and have been at the T4/unmentionable wall for a couple days. Just out of curiosity, how often are there walls like this in the game? I'm actually kind of enjoying the long, methodical pace of building up to the next challenge, but it's definitely a whole lot slower than start-to-T3 (which in hindsight feels like a sprint.)

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Scrree posted:

I started NGU Idle a few weeks ago and have been at the T4/unmentionable wall for a couple days. Just out of curiosity, how often are there walls like this in the game? I'm actually kind of enjoying the long, methodical pace of building up to the next challenge, but it's definitely a whole lot slower than start-to-T3 (which in hindsight feels like a sprint.)

After a while it just turns into a play once a day sort of game for 15 minutes and then come back tomorrow. The zone progress slows down, but by all accounts the early game moves quickly enough to get you into having lots of features to mess around with early and often.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Scrree posted:

There are several. It is well worth it, cannot recommend it enough.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Immortality Idle, is there a system for automatically consuming potions at any point?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i think it's the million-tael book that's for sale in the manuals shop (next to the settings cog)

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i think it's the million-tael book that's for sale in the manuals shop (next to the settings cog)

Ah, I don't have it available yet. Good to know I won't be shift clicking them forever!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

oh hey there's been an update with a dollar sign next to each job that tells you how much you made from it last time you performed it

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

"Earning ascension in multiple universes and with more challenges active will grant you more design points to build a better custom race with."

Does this include Micro?

Similarly, does Technophobe also care about being completed in Micro?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

another quick immortalityidle thing - looking at the code, it seems that woodworking and leatherworking only ever have a max 1% chance to produce something and boost your lore skills. alchemy and blacksmithing have better success rates as you go through journeyman, "own a shop", and whatever the last tier is.

i might be wrong on this, but if not, if you want to be a good woodworker and unlock the "woodwork without apprenticeship" achievment, spend a few lives grinding alchemy.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Cultivation Idle: I can't finish the Blacksmith Training (stuck on Journeyman) in my "standard", 30 years life, and going into Alchemy for Longevity pills seems to lock out other professions. What is the threshold for completing the apprenticeship? Just high enough numbers on relevant stats?

Second question: Is there any way to increase Stamina? I get knocked out with a single Body or Mind cultivation.

Third: Is there any reason to get Establish Bloodline past level 1?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Fat Samurai posted:

Cultivation Idle: I can't finish the Blacksmith Training (stuck on Journeyman) in my "standard", 30 years life, and going into Alchemy for Longevity pills seems to lock out other professions. What is the threshold for completing the apprenticeship? Just high enough numbers on relevant stats?

Second question: Is there any way to increase Stamina? I get knocked out with a single Body or Mind cultivation.

Third: Is there any reason to get Establish Bloodline past level 1?

1. You have to grind the Alchemy profession for high enough aptitudes that your starting stats let you go straight into Alchemy. Just spend a life or two solely on training Alchemy and also spend at least a few hundred million taels on land for peaches to eat for an extra 72 years and this should be easy.

2. Hunting and Fishing have a chance of meat and carp, respectively, which both increase stamina. So just do those for a while and set your character up to eat both of them, you'll get plenty of stamina.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Any time you do hunting, make sure you have the kennel equipped. It dramatically increases the amount of meat you get.

Fishing seems like a real waste. The only upside is that it can't spawn a wolf, so you don't lose out on gems, but the recent updates seem to make that less of an issue.

Leatherworking and woodworking got updates, they're not totally worthless anymore!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

1. You have to grind the Alchemy profession for high enough aptitudes that your starting stats let you go straight into Alchemy. Just spend a life or two solely on training Alchemy and also spend at least a few hundred million taels on land for peaches to eat for an extra 72 years and this should be easy.

Sorry, badly explained: I go into Alchemy straight up, until I'm 40 or so, with 100 years from alchemy and 70 from food, so 200 years max lifespan, and then slam dunk Journeyman Blacksmithing full time, not even a single day of rest. 170 years later I'm a very old, very tired Journeyman Blacksmith and die in my Palace, regretting the day I decided to wield a hammer.

It's annoying because literally every other profession I can see I have managed to master. Do I need some Earth Lore or something?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

KazigluBey posted:

"Earning ascension in multiple universes and with more challenges active will grant you more design points to build a better custom race with."

Does this include Micro?

Similarly, does Technophobe also care about being completed in Micro?

Yes and yes. It's one of the few exceptions for micro mattering.

As a sidenote micro is also really good for farming blood stones.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jul 13, 2022

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Fat Samurai posted:

Sorry, badly explained: I go into Alchemy straight up, until I'm 40 or so, with 100 years from alchemy and 70 from food, so 200 years max lifespan, and then slam dunk Journeyman Blacksmithing full time, not even a single day of rest. 170 years later I'm a very old, very tired Journeyman Blacksmith and die in my Palace, regretting the day I decided to wield a hammer.

It's annoying because literally every other profession I can see I have managed to master. Do I need some Earth Lore or something?

how much time have you spent burning stuff?

requirements per level are:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

how much time have you spent burning stuff?

requirements per level are:

Ok, it was the combo of Metal and Fire lore what I was missing.

Thanks!