Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Pookah posted:

It really is too much.

Years ago I got a really basic astronomical telescope, and the first time I saw Andromeda, and then Saturn's rings, were the closest I've ever felt to having a really powerful religious feeling.
I'd seen images of them before, plenty of them, but looking up into the night and seeing them for myself was beyond anything.

When I went to the Lowell Observatory years ago they let us look through one of their famous scopes. I think it was the one Lowell himself used to sketch "canals" on Mars. That night it was aimed at Jupiter. And, yeah, seeing the bands and the Red Spot with your own eyes hits different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
If this causes me to have a heart attack I'm semi ok with that. https://youtu.be/la8dLLsuG9g an Astronomer disecting a bit of the first image. She's the appropriate level of excitement. Highly recommend.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 12, 2022

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Confusedslight posted:

If this causes me to have a heart attack I'm semi ok with that. https://youtu.be/la8dLLsuG9g an Astronomer really disecting the first image. She's the appropriate level of excitement. Highly recommend.

Haha, yeah Dr Becky is great for Youtube Astronomy stuff.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I see no hot n readys out there. Just a buncha dust!

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i hope they take a baller-rear end picture of hoag's object at sone point with this absolute unit

Oh yes please! That thing gets me in a way hard to explain. A ring unlike any other galaxy we know. And inside that ring is another galaxy behind it that looks just like that.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

all these pictures look amazingly similar to 11 billion dollar bills being vaporized

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Those poor Canadian astronomers though :( all ready n waiting to be a part of history on camera, oh no oops, the link is down, let's have someone else do your bit :(

Edit: Omg yeah, Hoag's Object would be amazing

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Prettz posted:

all these pictures look amazingly similar to 11 billion dollar bills being vaporized

theres no such thing as money dude, its all fake poo poo to justify slavery

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
well maybe now we will be able to find my balls

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Prettz posted:

Tens of thousands of salaries and families being fed and... aw hell, why am I taking the bait. I'd much rather more Webbs than another drat aircraft carrier.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Pookah posted:

It really is too much.

Years ago I got a really basic astronomical telescope, and the first time I saw Andromeda, and then Saturn's rings, were the closest I've ever felt to having a really powerful religious feeling.
I'd seen images of them before, plenty of them, but looking up into the night and seeing them for myself was beyond anything.

I had an astro teacher who was way into it when I took it as an elective in community college, and he did a real-deal 2-part course and lab. One time he asked us to go to the UNM observatory for extra credit (recommended!) on amateur day.
Not only did I get to look at an experiment guys were doing, but Saturn and 4 moons were up and the rings were pointed directly at us. Some guy with a 16x cannon scope he ground the glass for and built from scratch would sight it for you, then just track it by hand while you looked at Saturn with 4 bright rear end, resolving as circles dots around it.

I can't imagine what people thought the first times they saw that through telescopes, especially looking at Saturn, all the times they were invented; because it's really loving mindblowing to see Saturn's rings staring at you with a stark shadow across the planet, with 4 planets just there.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Prettz posted:

Money well spent.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Pookah posted:

Those poor Canadian astronomers though :( all ready n waiting to be a part of history on camera, oh no oops, the link is down, let's have someone else do your bit :(

Edit: Omg yeah, Hoag's Object would be amazing

loving Rogers!

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Space is infinite right
So theoretically these pictures are actually some of the WORST ones available

Put that in your mind and blow it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
im vaporizing 5 dollars worth of weed

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I feel like I need to take a nap or something, like I'm worn out from being so overwhelmed for such a long time.

Also, I haven't even touched my breakfast yet. :haw:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Goddamn it, I missed it!

Oh well, the pictures are simply gorgeous. We’re living in the now!

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
thoroughly enjoying these pictures of places extremely far away from this poo poo planet.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Seriously, I’m actually crying atm.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

In each of these photos there is almost guaranteed to be some planet somewhere in one of the galaxies and on that planet there is a dude struggling to take a poo poo and worried if he pushes too hard it's gonna rip his rear end in a top hat open

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I see no hot n readys out there. Just a buncha dust!

Pizza are made out of stardust.

These images are in a way all pizza. :2bong:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

AHH F/UGH posted:

In each of these photos there is almost guaranteed to be some planet somewhere in one of the galaxies and on that planet there is a dude struggling to take a poo poo and worried if he pushes too hard it's gonna rip his rear end in a top hat open

Goons have to exist on other planets; they have to. We’re not the only life forms in the universe making GBS threads our pants and watching anime.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Do pig balls exist on exoplanets? :thunk:

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Tens of thousands of salaries and families being fed and... aw hell, why am I taking the bait. I'd much rather more Webbs than another drat aircraft carrier.
fuckin lol you think much of that poo poo went to salaries? It went to a pentagon contractor.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I want to wake my flatmates up and scream at them to look at these photos. I will not but I really want to.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Prettz posted:

fuckin lol you think much of that poo poo went to salaries? It went to a pentagon contractor.

Why are you even in this thread?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Why are you even in this thread?

He's trolling. Peep the rap sheet.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Confusedslight posted:

I want to wake my flatmates up and scream at them to look at these photos. I will not but I really want to.

Same, but with my brother in law. He's really into astronomy as well, but dude's down with a bad cold right now and is really needing the sleep. :(

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Ok the AV was poo poo, but oh my god each one of these is incredible. Like I'm literally crying right now.

Yeah, same. I don't want my only post about an utterly heartstopping advance in astronomy to be bitching about a/v flubs - these are astonishing. Sub-day exposures for these results and 20y of design life? :f5:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

wow.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

He's trolling. Peep the rap sheet.

Ahh, Got it. Thanks for the heads up.

Anyway. Think about this. Webb can pop off these pics in hours, and has 20 years of juice in it. RIP, Hubble, you did good. But there's a new king in orbit.*

*Yes, I know it's a Lagrange point, but still counts!

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

You Are A Elf posted:

Do pig balls exist on exoplanets? :thunk:

Pigs made out of poo poo are making GBS threads pink fleshy pig balls onto their poo poo balls

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
yeah how much quicker poo poo will get done is going to be mindblowing, every new week could have insane new poo poo to learn about

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Anyway. Think about this. Webb can pop off these pics in hours, and has 20 years of juice in it. RIP, Hubble, you did good. But there's a new king in orbit.*

Yeah, what an amazing introduction to what James Webb can do and yeah they obviously very careful about their first picks for observations, but still going to be a lot young people inspired to go into astronomy/astrophysics because of this. Really does seem like going to over it's life time make a big change in what we know about the universe.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Butcher posted:

I asked the AI what weird alien titties looked like, and I don't think I can jerk it to this. I'm sure someone else could find a way. We are good at that.

Now, this, this I can work with.

I'm scoring the middle one of these as an avatar, best of luck with the j/o sesh.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

dr_rat posted:

Yeah, what an amazing introduction to what James Webb can do and yeah they obviously very careful about their first picks for observations, but still going to be a lot young people inspired to go into astronomy/astrophysics because of this. Really does seem like going to over it's life time make a big change in what we know about the universe.

I wanted to be an astronomer so badly when I was a kid but the math killed me

I can still appreciate such beauty that smarter people than me created, though!

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

It's no big deal in space because all the dumb kids get to be pilots

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Hubble was 80's tech, Webb took so long partly because tech changed so fast during its development, in every aspect from electronics, to sensors to rockets.
Everything hit a point everyone was comfortable with and now here we are.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

dr_rat posted:

https://twitter.com/NASA/status/1546877352243859458/photo/1
Stunning. You can tell why the left this for last. Absolutely beautiful.

How do i get this painted on the side of my van?

BRB running out to buy a van

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
There are literally galaxies everywhere

https://twitter.com/Astropartigirl/status/1546872489904463872?s=20&t=vhmCbcwa77en76w-7WSz4Q