Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/Necroeric/status/1546628800729042944

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Mark

These folks would have hated the territory days where big stars did stints in territories and lost to the local big stars before moving to the next territory

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
This is how I found out Mox vs. Takeshita is on Wednesday and uh, gently caress yes?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/Necroeric/status/1546598434861469698

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

never listen to the welsh

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

https://twitter.com/necroeric/status/1546629793151590401?s=21&t=USNh7xcweU7Dfd17TZ8vcg

Anyway, I bought tickets to an indie show based solely on Takeshita getting booked. The disrespect.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Alaois posted:

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Lol the first match was loving 27 minutes long you dork

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Most Japanese excursions have the talent losing anyway as it's more about experience working new styles to get over than to win. Thought Takeshita getting to work big names also helps since it'll help him when he goes back to DDT

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Alaois posted:

spoken like a true cornishman

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Ganso Bomb posted:

Lol the first match was loving 27 minutes long you dork

Yeah exactly. Where was the 20 minutes of entrances and video packages. Y’know the storytelling

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Wasn't the story of the first one proving which team were better wrestlers?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
just lol at the idea of DDT having a problem with anyone looking like a goof

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
Storytelling can't happen during a match. It can only happen in angles and promos and video packages.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If guys aren't standing in the middle of the ring monologuing into a microphone for 20 minutes at a time, are they really telling stories?

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

there was only the one wrestling themed talk show in aew on dynamite and it didnt even last that long, WHERE ARE THE STORIES TONY

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

"jobbing" as though getting a match against one of the top 5 guys in the fuckin world and likely losing is a massive failure

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

can you folks not post the thoughts of commentator and wrestler NecroEric in here? He's one of the boys.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Necro Eric kisses all his adult relatives on the lips

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Necro Eric kisses all his adult relatives on the lips

i also kiss all his adult relatives on the lips

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Not even the biggest FTR fan and the match against the Briscoes was a masterpiece that in my opinion tops all of FTR’s AEW work thus far

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/SupineSmokey/status/1546604503532806144

this is so much cope i thought it might be a child who doesn't understand how contracts or the world works, but their profile is a grown rear end man-child

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Leon and Ferouz

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Leon and Ferouz

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Leon and Ferouz sounds like a morning zoo radio show with a bunch of awoogah noises in the intro.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i looked it up and those people are jobbers who showed up 1 time. that's the second name that person came up with

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
One job match and people already think they're stars?

They must be really good!

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah having amazing matches with top AEW talents and looking like a million bucks in the matches sure is massively dropping Takeshita's stock.

I mean, just look at the way he's constantly losing fans on AEW.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Every time Roman Reigns makes a rare appearance now and the Number doesn’t go up it’s because they forgot to advertise him

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/vx9gd4/wor_roman_reigns_is_back_and_wasnt_a_big_needle/

quote:

I mean too be fair they barely advertised Roman was returning on the show. I didn’t even see anything involving Roman on SD on WWE social until like an hour before the show.

quote:

They didn’t advertise him and there was barely any wrestling on a two hour show. Roman will most likely be a big draw for the company overall as time goes on, but when you barely promote him and give little substance, then the ratings are gonna reflect that.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
If we're not counting his Dark and Elevation matches (and for the record which he's won every single match he's been on) and the House Always Wins special (which was a ten man tag where he was on the losing end and I'm willing to bet Nakazawa was the person getting pinned), his TV matches have been the following:

Loss to Jay Lethal on Rampage where he looked strong.
Loss to Hangman when Hangman and he looked strong in defeat, along with Hangman cutting a promo backstage saying he was an incredible competitor
Loss in the #2 contender battle royale
Loss in the Royal Rampage
Loss to Eddie Kingston where, surprise, he looked strong and only lost because Eddie was fortunate to fall into the pin, and afterwards Eddie cut a promo talking about how he had Eddie's respect and was good

Three singles losses to a guy they were building, the world champion, and the guy who is probably the most over non-champion face in the company in which he's looked strong and given people the impression that he is absolutely the future. I'm even willing to bet that his match against Mox will be a loss where he looks strong but afterwards Mox will give him props for his performance and the crowd will cheer him regardless.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Another match against the world champ where he will look like a million bucks. Another chapter in the sorry tale of loser Takeshita.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Every time Roman Reigns makes a rare appearance now and the Number doesn’t go up it’s because they forgot to advertise him

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/vx9gd4/wor_roman_reigns_is_back_and_wasnt_a_big_needle/

The dude who has never been a draw in his life isn't a draw now that he's gone part time? Weird.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
if there's any takeaway from aew's booking for me in terms of entirely changing how I think about wrestlers, it's that if someone constantly has bangers for matches it's stopped mattering to me how many of those matches they won

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Jericho really is the king of getting a reaction out of people, even laying it on as thick as referring to himself in the third person.

https://twitter.com/IANdrewTheGiant/status/1546819589228617728

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

And the thing is a lot of it was on Jericho's back. And Jericho has been one of the most giving and star making top buys since probably Mick Foley and Terry Funk

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Jericho's AEW run should go down in history as one of the best late-career runs ever. He basically loses every big feud, he constantly gets clowned on, and even in matches he wins he generally takes a ton of offense and makes the other guy look great. Despite that he's still so over that everyone aligned with him instantly gets a rocket boost in popularity.

The entire feud with Eddie has been Jericho getting beat, being so scared of getting beat down more that he formed a group to protect him, basically running in terror from Eddie for weeks unless he had his goons around him, then getting his rear end beat by Eddie AGAIN and only saving face because another guy tapped out first. It's absolutely making Eddie an even bigger star than he already is, it's great.

I think you could argue that Santana and Ortiz have petered out a bit and not reached their full potential, but they've still been part of at least 3 all-time great matches in AEW history. And yeah, Sammy's back to being a goon, but I put all of that on his real life coloring fans' view of his on-screen character (who was a red hot babyface for a while).

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Shard posted:

And the thing is a lot of it was on Jericho's back. And Jericho has been one of the most giving and star making top buys since probably Mick Foley and Terry Funk

There are even people in the replies calling him Hoganish or that he made sure he got his win back vs Omega and never paid it off. Part of why I can't make fun of someone too much for getting worked up by it is there is the ring of truth to it, but if you listen to Jericho much on his podcast you know how he feels about his contributions and those of others.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

A Fancy Hat posted:

Jericho's AEW run should go down in history as one of the best late-career runs ever. He basically loses every big feud, he constantly gets clowned on, and even in matches he wins he generally takes a ton of offense and makes the other guy look great. Despite that he's still so over that everyone aligned with him instantly gets a rocket boost in popularity.

The entire feud with Eddie has been Jericho getting beat, being so scared of getting beat down more that he formed a group to protect him, basically running in terror from Eddie for weeks unless he had his goons around him, then getting his rear end beat by Eddie AGAIN and only saving face because another guy tapped out first. It's absolutely making Eddie an even bigger star than he already is, it's great.

I think you could argue that Santana and Ortiz have petered out a bit and not reached their full potential, but they've still been part of at least 3 all-time great matches in AEW history. And yeah, Sammy's back to being a goon, but I put all of that on his real life coloring fans' view of his on-screen character (who was a red hot babyface for a while).

PNP have been part of some of the best matches. And best segments. There's Stadium Stampede, Blood and Guts 1, Anarchy in the Arena, Blood and Guts 2, the parking lot brawl, the hair match for Ortiz, Punished Santana when Moxley took his eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

AEW Jericho is like an apology for late WCW Hogan, with Eddie Kingston playing the role of Billy Kidman.