Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Hail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

All hail.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Squawk 666 SEND LOG

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

cigaw posted:

Super excited, gonna start working on apps for Majors/Legacies while waiting for IOE lol

Rolo posted:

Thread title lol.

Speaking of, I was looking around at low-time jobs and welp, I'm guessing this is probably going to be fairly common

"Got my hours, gently caress you!"

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

lmao so noble of them to give pilots the opportunity to perform work for the company

They even pay them!!!

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Ah yes Cape Air, famous for its *checks airlinepilotcentral.com* $18 an hour captain pay rates. Love to see these small time operators finally, finally get their's

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

In another thread someone posted this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-ruFmgTpqA

How much chaos would pushing this button near say NYC cause?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Arson Daily posted:

Ah yes Cape Air, famous for its *checks airlinepilotcentral.com* $18 an hour captain pay rates. Love to see these small time operators finally, finally get their's

I’ll never forget when I left home to go fly a Learjet and some guy with a local 135 Baron business told me I could fly for him when I get my time up a little more.

Some people are delusional and I’m a big fan of when they “get hosed.”

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Rolo posted:

I’ll never forget when I left home to go fly a Learjet and some guy with a local 135 Baron business told me I could fly for him when I get my time up a little more.

Holy poo poo when I gave notice to quit the shitbag air ambulance place to go fly for Atlas my kiddie toucher (no joke) chief pilot seriously asked me "what, you'd rather fly 747's than fly here?" People are drat clueless at times I swear.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Rolo posted:

Arson Daily posted:

Holy poo poo when I gave notice to quit the shitbag air ambulance place to go fly for Atlas my kiddie toucher (no joke) chief pilot seriously asked me "what, you'd rather fly 747's than fly here?" People are drat clueless at times I swear.

I'm leaving my current Aviation job as going back into the office 28 hours a week is no longer feasible due to multiple family health issues, even though I've offered up alternatives to try to continue to contribute to what's rapidly becoming a more shorthanded operation (and hitting a brick wall with each offer).

I was told a couple weeks ago that "unless you're able to return, we're looking at August 12th as your last day" but, before I get the big ugly axe, I was to do one last Air Show display. I initially agreed before having a moment of clarity and realizing standing out on the ramp in 90 degree heat in a blue polo was a poor life choice, so I ripped the band-aid and put in for next week.

After two weeks of radio silence, he finally spoke to me and I was given a list of things to do before I left and also informed that I was being terminated from my adjunct position (which could've allowed me to take on contracts for odds-and-ends work) in addition to the administrative gig I voluntarily left because "I'm real disappointed you backed out of what we agreed to over the Show". Realizing I had no fucks to give anymore, I reminded him of:

CBJSprague24 posted:

Found out last week we're going to be doing a display at an upcoming Air Show my boss originally said we "definitely weren't attending regardless of its format".

Then, on Monday, after originally saying it was going to be a bare-bones, simple display, he said we were going to get the flight school involved and have aircraft on static display. Just for grins, I also found out much of the lead-up work before it's typically handed off to me hasn't been done, which leaves me with 19 work days (as of today) to do a year's worth of work.

He was speechless and, after 10 seconds of silence, could only muster an "Well, I guess we disagree on this one".

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:cawg: the sheer delusion of your boss

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's fun watching the managerial class begin to realize that actions have consequences. Warms the cockles of my heart.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Every one of them that “did their time” for six months in 1980 then expects younger people to do it for 5 years deserves any bullshit they get and more.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Also, the idea that anything that's not a mainline gig is a position where you "put in your time" and are paid accordingly, needs to die. It's resulting in poo poo-quality instruction, and I haven't really had a chance to observe the air taxi situation, but I'd suspect it's the same there where you have the inexperienced teaching the even more inexperienced, because anyone with experience wants to move on and make a decent living regardless of whether or not they like the job.

During the period of massive COVID furloughs, we had a lot of ex-instructors come back from the airlines to work for us, and it was actually really great. Instructional quality improved for students directly, but also indirectly because they were great mentors to the instructors who had less experience. And, to a man, they said "well, I want to keep my foot in GA, but... I also want to have nice things and fly to Seoul and Tokyo instead of High River, so... see ya around!"

It looks like it's going to get a lot worse. In the past six months, it's gone from "man, everyone's kind of stagnating here" to "oh poo poo oh gently caress, get someone trained to fly the Seneca ASAP because everyone's leaving and quick!"

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Arson Daily posted:

Love to see these small time operators finally, finally get their's

:sickos:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/OneMileataTime/status/1543274327562485762

This feels like it should be a very in-joke Onion article.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

HAIL SATAN

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Why did they wait until they went out in the sun?

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Anyone got recommendations for earpro? Specifically something to wear on the ramp during pre and post-flight, preferably in ear.

I can get truckloads of the disposable foam ones but it's just so wasteful.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

cigaw posted:

Anyone got recommendations for earpro? Specifically something to wear on the ramp during pre and post-flight, preferably in ear.

I can get truckloads of the disposable foam ones but it's just so wasteful.

I used the Radians diy custom molds. Was easy to do, worked well.

I don’t recommend the “tan” colour. They just look icky once they’re molded. Like a cut off tumor.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Sweet, thanks for the suggestion. And the warning about the tan silicone :barf:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/ethanklapper/status/1545447249366368256?t=J_6O6eU5jYq0gClneNXVLQ&s=19

Someone mentioned ALPA didn't say anything about JSX but are complaining about Skywest. In other words,

Rolo posted:

Every one of them that “did their time” for six months in 1980 then expects younger people to do it for 5 years deserves any bullshit they get and more.

VeganEverestDeath
May 1, 2017
Do you guys who are PICs ever make people address you as commander?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I'm sure the Civil Air Patrol insists on it, but outside of them, no one in the US civilian world really does, unless they're a complete tool.

The old uniform shirts at my current airline had comically wide tabs on the shoulders, so I'd occasionally wear both my captain and FO epaulettes on a trip (usually on days when I knew management wouldn't be around), and see if I could convince the crew to refer to me as "admiral" or "commodore".

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Did my first IOE trip this past weekend. Crew was awesome. This flying thing is fun.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

VeganEverestDeath posted:

poo poo when I was left seat I felt weird when people called me captain if they knew my name, like I’m e.pilot call me that thanks

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

e.pilot posted:

poo poo when I was left seat I felt weird when people called me captain if they knew my name, like I’m e.pilot call me that thanks

This. And don’t use my name either, that’s still too formal. Use my nickname.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That’s Captain Dipshit to you!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Im about to headed to a large city in Texas for indoc. Im going to try my best to not be the stereotypical military guy in my new hire class but guys it’s gonna be pretty hard. I still have a goofy haircut and it’s impossible to not call people in authority positions sir or ma’am. Pray for me.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Bob A Feet posted:

Im about to headed to a large city in Texas for indoc. Im going to try my best to not be the stereotypical military guy in my new hire class but guys it’s gonna be pretty hard. I still have a goofy haircut and it’s impossible to not call people in authority positions sir or ma’am. Pray for me.

Just try your best to understand how unions work. You have rights now. You are a human being now.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bob A Feet posted:

Why not be stereotypical military dude? Y'all really polite, funny, and enjoyable to work with.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Animal posted:

Just try your best to understand how unions work. You have rights now. You are a human being now.

:hai:

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

VeganEverestDeath posted:

I don’t ever correct anyone when they call me whatever but if someone called me commander I’d probably ask them not to

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
People call me Captain all the time and I drive a fuckin 208 it’s wild

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

a patagonian cavy posted:

People call me Captain all the time and I drive a fuckin 208 it’s wild

There’s a “sole manipulator” joke here I just know it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I heard tell of a captain for a major Canadian airline who made female F/Os call him 'daddy.'

I hope he gets bleach down his peehole.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
I got called "Captain" plenty while I was an FO, so I got pretty used to it by the time I was in the left seat.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Bob A Feet posted:

The fact that you’re even aware of it will go a long way.

Also don’t bring it up unless asked.

ALSO:
Contract and yourself and safety first, mission a very distant last place, if the metal moves it moves, who cares.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Potato Salad posted:

Why not be stereotypical military dude? Y'all really polite, funny, and enjoyable to work with.

lol what military people are you working with

signed:
a former military people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

*kicks dirt dejectedly* idk maybe we've just been lucky