Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Tennessea was right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Alexander of Iowa

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Is that actually to scale?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yup.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Crab Dad posted:

Is that actually to scale?

Scale and latitude, yeah.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The US is very large

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's almost half the size as Texas

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That’s pretty dope. Been all over the US and all around the med so it puts it in relation.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Grand Fromage posted:

Scale and latitude, yeah.

I understand how oceans mediate the climate but nevertheless it still breaks my brain when I remember (of places I lived) NYC and Toulouse are almost the same latitude. One is swelter/freeze/swelter/freeze and one is balmy permaspring.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Gaius Marius posted:

It's almost half the size as Texas

32 and a quarter thousand Olympic swimming pools.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I understand how oceans mediate the climate but nevertheless it still breaks my brain when I remember (of places I lived) NYC and Toulouse are almost the same latitude. One is swelter/freeze/swelter/freeze and one is balmy permaspring.

Yeah it was very weird when I went to Germany in summer and it didn't really get dark until like midnight. Europe's way the gently caress up there.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

The US is very large

So was the Roman Empire

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
vermont still cant get a fuckin coast

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

sullat posted:

So was the Roman Empire

True, behind the façade of republicanism was an entrenched aristocracy, their wealth fueled by military adventures, slavery, resource exploitation, and a freudian fascination with big white columns... but the similarities don't end there!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

True, behind the façade of republicanism was an entrenched aristocracy

These things aren't opposites. Having a Republic is not the same thing as having a democracy.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

vermont still cant get a fuckin coast

I wouldn't trust 'em with it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gaius Marius posted:

Constantinoplian Michigan is cursed as hell. Rome in Nebraska is however perfect.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Jazerus posted:

cis-alpine montana, trans-alpine montana

cis-rockine and trans-rockine

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Up til I was like 15 I had this very passive delusion that the cities that were most prominent in my brain for different regions were all at roughly the same latitude, by which I mean that I thought of NYC, London, and Tokyo as all being at roughly the same latitude and thus with pretty similar climates.

Then at 15 I did an exchange trip to Japan during the summer and learned very very directly that Tokyo's latitude is more like Savannah than New York.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

True, behind the façade of republicanism was an entrenched aristocracy, their wealth fueled by military adventures, slavery, resource exploitation, and a freudian fascination with big white columns... but the similarities don't end there!

Plato's perfect government.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
I live at roughly the same latitude as southern Greenland, and we've had several days of +30 degrees Celsius this summer, and hitting -30 degrees Celsius in the winter is not too rare.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

My grandpa once quizzed me. "Nessus! What major Old World city is on the same latitude as Houston?"

I thought about it while sweating my genitalia off and guessed, based on vague map memories, "Cairo?" "Yeah!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Your grandpa owns.

Also doesn't feel like that much coincidence there's a city in the US called Memphis.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Well, these pages certainly were.. something. Clue a noob in, who is Agesilaus?

E: wow okay they got banned a fair bit back. Sorry for necroposting, but still curious. If they got a smiley made of their smugness, there's got to be a good story there.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Nessus posted:

My grandpa once quizzed me. "Nessus! What major Old World city is on the same latitude as Houston?"

I thought about it while sweating my genitalia off and guessed, based on vague map memories, "Cairo?" "Yeah!"

Not bad for a puppeteer

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tias posted:

Well, these pages certainly were.. something. Clue a noob in, who is Agesilaus?

E: wow okay they got banned a fair bit back. Sorry for necroposting, but still curious. If they got a smiley made of their smugness, there's got to be a good story there.

They came around in the halcyon days of like, 2013 and were proto-chuddy about how the(ir nonsensical idea of) ancients were the perfect society vs decadent moderners. Complete with plenty of "I would definitely be a spartiate or a consul, not some slave, this is self-evident"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

A very one the nose description. Also I love the term proto-chud lol

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
Also gave us one of the better smilies.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They came around in the halcyon days of like, 2013 and were proto-chuddy about how the(ir nonsensical idea of) ancients were the perfect society vs decadent moderners. Complete with plenty of "I would definitely be a spartiate or a consul, not some slave, this is self-evident"
In this very thread, as I recall.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Zereth posted:

In this very thread, as I recall.

Yes, most definitely. Why their rereg got identified immediately.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Your grandpa owns.

Also doesn't feel like that much coincidence there's a city in the US called Memphis.
A lot of places got Egyptian names. I think there was a sort of egyptomania phase going on in the educated classes of France and England (and thus America too) in the period whereupon they named a lot of places just west of the original thirteen colonies.

Funnily, Memphis TN is north of Memphis, Egypt. It's about the same longitude as Gibraltar. This probably helps explains why the South is hot as balls.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Home boy could not even conceive of being something other than a landlord.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah there was a big Egypt thing in the early 1800s in the wake of Napoleon's expedition.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
now that I think about it, I do wonder how the ottomans managed to broadly stay out of the french revolutionary and napoleonic wars, when france was actively attacking them in egypt and syria

I've also wondered why they weren't explicitly included in the concert of europe given how important they were to the balance of power. I mean it's not exactly a mystery since they weren't a victorious power or france (and they were muslim), but it feels like the congress of vienna hosed up there a bit, and in the end ottoman disintegration was one of sparks leading to the eventual failure of the congress.

fake edit: I'll probably just read this paper which someone published on this exact question

https://academic.oup.com/ehr/article/136/583/1450/6516692

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Also there's a big huge river flowing through that area so the idea of naming cities after Egyptian ones must have been appealing; there's also a Cairo founded about the same time.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

cheetah7071 posted:

now that I think about it, I do wonder how the ottomans managed to broadly stay out of the french revolutionary and napoleonic wars, when france was actively attacking them in egypt and syria

I've also wondered why they weren't explicitly included in the concert of europe given how important they were to the balance of power. I mean it's not exactly a mystery since they weren't a victorious power or france (and they were muslim), but it feels like the congress of vienna hosed up there a bit, and in the end ottoman disintegration was one of sparks leading to the eventual failure of the congress.

fake edit: I'll probably just read this paper which someone published on this exact question

https://academic.oup.com/ehr/article/136/583/1450/6516692

The Ottoman Empire as a thing didn't really exist in the early 19th century. Like, everyone pretended it did because it was more of a pain in the rear end than to actually point out it didn't, but it wasn't like they could really *do" anything if mainland European powers went after their periphery.

Should be noted that the Ottomans power was always based primarily in Europe, that's where the janissaries were recruited and the Balkans remained part of the empire into the 20th century.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Turning the Memphis pyramid into a Bass Pro Shop is one of the greatest crimes of the modern south. You see that thing as you cross the Mississippi. Why is it not something worthwhile?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Turning the Memphis pyramid into a Bass Pro Shop is one of the greatest crimes of the modern south. You see that thing as you cross the Mississippi. Why is it not something worthwhile?
Looks like the Grizzlies did it by sucking so hard the structure went under and was sold to the Camarilla Bass Pro Shops. Or leased to them anyway.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

MikeCrotch posted:

The Ottoman Empire as a thing didn't really exist in the early 19th century. Like, everyone pretended it did because it was more of a pain in the rear end than to actually point out it didn't, but it wasn't like they could really *do" anything if mainland European powers went after their periphery.

Should be noted that the Ottomans power was always based primarily in Europe, that's where the janissaries were recruited and the Balkans remained part of the empire into the 20th century.

Yeah but preserving the balance of power by protecting small or weak states from predation by their neighbors was the whole point of the congress. If the entirety of the ottoman periphery was up for grabs, it feels even weirder that they weren't included

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MikeCrotch posted:

That and they didnt do poo poo with Egypt despite it having the potential to be a huge cash geyser if you try.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"
There were at least two attempts by Ottoman Sultans to move the Imperial Capitol to the Middle East and de-emphasize Europe, once by Osman II in the 17th century (he was assassinated over this and his plan to dissolve the Janissary corps, by said Janissaries), and again later by another Sultan whose name I forget. By the 16th century, the Ottoman Empire had become really based around Istanbul, and the parts of the empire not nearby Istanbul were often treated as an afterthought. If we lived in the alternate world where Osman II or the other guy had succeeded and set up a new capitol in Damascus, the Ottomans might have been a lot more concerned about European encroachment in the Middle East and North Africa.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Why are you disrespecting bass pro shops like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bass Pro Shop owns dude. Much better to idolize hunting and fishing gear then some old dead guy