Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The skinless white ones are genuinely creepy at least. But they're also just mindless robots which removes all the interesting parts of the hosts.

Well, unless they decide to go Battlestar Galactica and have the skinless robots rebel against the humanoid hosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

As soon as I saw the black goo I thought of Prometheus

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
gently caress yes, they gave Ramin Djawadi something to do.

However, is he trying to say that Metallica is a poor imitation of The Rolling Stones?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This last episode really cemented for me how much worse this show became the moment it stopped actually being about Westworld. The mobster world was like a brief throwback to when this show had life and zest and cool themes to explore rather than just being a gotcha mystery for the sake of it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

gently caress yes, they gave Ramin Djawadi something to do.

However, is he trying to say that Metallica is a poor imitation of The Rolling Stones?

I was disappointed when we didn't get Paint It Black again.

Also love how Maeves plan was to go into the 1920s version of the bar she worked in for years and just hope none of the staff running the park recognised her.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Senor Tron posted:

I was disappointed when we didn't get Paint It Black again.

Also love how Maeves plan was to go into the 1920s version of the bar she worked in for years and just hope none of the staff running the park recognised her.

The staff running the park are probably all hosts too.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I like that GangsterWorld had a WestWorldWorld underneath it where people (who presumably were there or heard about it) could relive the massacre from a gameified perspective!

I think y'all are right about Caleb's daughter, hopefully they turn him into a host so AP can stick around!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You guys think too hard about it. They just want to reuse the set and costumes from s1.

Those Mad Max dune buggies look good though.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Entropic posted:

8 posts after a new episode, lol does anyone watch this show?

I work late so I can't watch live/until Monday

So far better season than last but 1) that's a low bar, 2) still not much really happening so it's hard to really recommend, and 3) it's still a season of Westworld, a time it has a satisfying finale will be the first time. I'm fine with what's been shown so far; I'm still braced for/expecting disappointment

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Why do the robots care about Aaron Paul’s character enough to infect him with the robot flies? He’s not a person in a position of status, right? Is this a Star Wars sequel trilogy thing where he’s the only one who knows where Luke Delores is?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Bernardo just starts murdering people in broad daylight in front of a dinner and then leisurely stuffs the corpses into the trunk, in sight of the entire dinner :hmmyes:

Nothing in this stupid show makes a lick of sense, nobody involved with it seem to give a poo poo and I also don't really care, but for some reason I can't stop watching it. Someone else already mentioned it but season 1 was so fantastic that it just carries the whole show. It's also not aggressively stupid like the later seasons of GOT, it's more like it got kicked in the head by a mule and just can't help it. It's all very tragic

e: also, where was Dubbs all these decades? He had no dust on him. Was he just living a normal life somewhere off screen?

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 12, 2022

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ruddiger posted:

Why do the robots care about Aaron Paul’s character enough to infect him with the robot flies? He’s not a person in a position of status, right? Is this a Star Wars sequel trilogy thing where he’s the only one who knows where Luke Delores is?

He has something to do with the Person of Interest computer from Season 3. I forgot what.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

GABA ghoul posted:

e: also, where was Dubbs all these decades? He had no dust on him. Was he just living a normal life somewhere off screen?

I also have this question. As I recall, he was bleeding out in the motel tub when Bernard went to the Sublime. I assumed Bernard would've repaired him upon waking or something, but he was just...off doing poo poo, I guess.

"The Stubbs Webisodes." Make it happen, HBO.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Xealot posted:

I also have this question. As I recall, he was bleeding out in the motel tub when Bernard went to the Sublime. I assumed Bernard would've repaired him upon waking or something, but he was just...off doing poo poo, I guess.

"The Stubbs Webisodes." Make it happen, HBO.

He must have decided that Bernard wasn't waking up anytime soon and so just repaired himself and then wandered off to find a job. Or we'll get some flashbacks in the last episode showing how Hale corrupted him to get something from Bernard when he walked outside.

I mean, that was a lovely motel but he would have had to keep paying for it until they shut down otherwise someone else would have walked in.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

GABA ghoul posted:

Bernardo just starts murdering people in broad daylight in front of a dinner and then leisurely stuffs the corpses into the trunk, in sight of the entire dinner :hmmyes:
Bernard has been playing the same video game for decades, in an accelerated reality, figuring out the exact way to dispatch those dudes without getting noticed like he's a Hitman expert. It makes perfect sense as long as you accept the premise that he has essentially perfect knowledge of any environment he's in and the people around him.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Darko posted:

He has something to do with the Person of Interest computer from Season 3. I forgot what.

He is one of the people with mental illness it was brainwashing to do crimes for it. There were quite a few of them, he wasn't special in that regard.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Dolores gave him full control of the computer controlling folks as well, he got it to shut itself down and blow itself up in the finale. Assume that's why he is of particular interest.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Bernard has been playing the same video game for decades, in an accelerated reality, figuring out the exact way to dispatch those dudes without getting noticed like he's a Hitman expert. It makes perfect sense as long as you accept the premise that he has essentially perfect knowledge of any environment he's in and the people around him.

I think it’s more than that: leaving the bodies is a trail of breadcrumbs to lead someone else to the desert for some kind of clash!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I figure that in the time skip, Caleb and Maeve were the main two thorns in the side of William and Halebot. So that's why Caleb is of interest to them.

We've seen a couple of short flashbacks to Caleb being injured and Maeve there and somehow saving his life and I figure we'll see the full details next episode.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Just caught up. Overall, I’m liking the plot and the fact that they dipping back into the “game within a game” mindfuck bullshit. This latest episode made me care about Frankie and her mom because they were actually doing things. Bernard going full Ghost Rider with that chain was fun. Anyway, good body snatchers vibe.

The dialogue is dog poo poo, though. Like Hallmark gift card dog poo poo. I used to have a theory that you knew a character was a host in a loop if their dialogue got weird and stilted, but that would mean this season is a simulation.

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

Right now I fear that the superweapon buried in the desert is gonna be Maeve of another Dolores, and I'm hoping I'm very wrong.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Codependent Poster posted:

I figure that in the time skip, Caleb and Maeve were the main two thorns in the side of William and Halebot. So that's why Caleb is of interest to them.

We've seen a couple of short flashbacks to Caleb being injured and Maeve there and somehow saving his life and I figure we'll see the full details next episode.

Yes, there’s a heavy implication that the two of them were palling around doing mercenary poo poo sometime after the events of S3, and it’s not a leap to assume that it was targeting things Delos prized.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I like how Caleb shouldered the Tommy Gun and fired it in controlled bursts like a non-dumbshit.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Freaquency posted:

Yes, there’s a heavy implication that the two of them were palling around doing mercenary poo poo sometime after the events of S3, and it’s not a leap to assume that it was targeting things Delos prized.
Yeah, but it seemed like he settled and gave up. What is the point in waking a sleeping lion? Same for Maeve.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Marsupial Ape posted:

I like how Caleb shouldered the Tommy Gun and fired it in controlled bursts like a non-dumbshit.

He was a soldier, so him not being a dumbshit with guns makes sense.

Yes, I know some soldiers are but the ones I knew from in high school were not dumbasses with guns.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Marsupial Ape posted:

That was a cool detail.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, but it seemed like he settled and gave up. What is the point in waking a sleeping lion? Same for Maeve.

I can't say I know the motivations of every amusement park sexbot turned rogue AI bent on usurping the dominant species on the planet. I imagine Maeve and Caleb foiled her plans once already and then had the audacity to not fall over dead. In any event it was probably wise to move them into a position where it was easier to keep tabs on them rather than have them running wild.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

rich thick and creamy posted:

I can't say I know the motivations of every amusement park sexbot turned rogue AI bent on usurping the dominant species on the planet. I imagine Maeve and Caleb foiled her plans once already and then had the audacity to not fall over dead. In any event it was probably wise to move them into a position where it was easier to keep tabs on them rather than have them running wild.

Also she's already got one person she's pissed at in suspended animation so she can thaw him out and make fun of him already, maybe she want's a pair?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Marsupial Ape posted:

Noticed that too. I was taught to shoot by soldiers so gun stuff always gets to me in media.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

seaborgium posted:

Also she's already got one person she's pissed at in suspended animation so she can thaw him out and make fun of him already, maybe she want's a pair?
William has a special place in her heart for obvious reasons. But to antagonize others that laid low for apparently eight years, that's an interesting gamble.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I just assume that all the hosts just loving love drama, like it's part of their baseline code that they never bothered to get rid of. They just can't help making elaborate plans to gently caress with people.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I figure Caleb and Maeve did some damage before Caleb was injured and Maeve saved his life. Then after that they decided to stop and go lay low.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
The (last) episode owned :eyepop: I could honestly watch a whole season of Maeve just going to new parks and commentating on the recycled plots.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
T
E
D
D
Y

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Holy poo poo, imagine if that scene was the first time they showed Teddy this season including episode previews. It would have hit like an atomic bomb.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Too many drat timelimes like season 2.

Well it seems they are converging so yay

Despera fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 18, 2022

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I have no confidence in their ability to stick the landing....but....this is actually good so far?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol they can't help themselves with skipping between what time parts of the show take place

Like it was obvious mystery woman was Caleb's daughter. The only thing I wasn't sure of was when Dolores' story was supposed to have been, but it's the same time as Bernard's.

But like, what happened to Caleb? Is he a host? If he's not dead, then why does he look the same?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm really enjoying this season, love the reveal of this episode that we're in the future and all that we've seen of Maeve and him are just her trying to turn him into a host

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

lol they can't help themselves with skipping between what time parts of the show take place

Like it was obvious mystery woman was Caleb's daughter. The only thing I wasn't sure of was when Dolores' story was supposed to have been, but it's the same time as Bernard's.

But like, what happened to Caleb? Is he a host? If he's not dead, then why does he look the same?

That's a Nolan thing. His brother did a historical war movie and still couldn't help with time fuckery.