Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Despite the disappointing lack of Baru Cormorant, the british cover has a mask that looks more like colonialism than scifi (plus the game of thrones comparison)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I bought books 2 and 3 in that series a while back but finally picked up The Traitor yesterday and have burned through it today. It’s super good, nice drat work GB. I’m almost done and had to tear myself away. Looking forward to finishing it tonight and moving on to the second one shortly.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I have information that will lead to the arrest of Baru Cormorant

newts
Oct 10, 2012
I forgot to pimp another of our SA writing group member’s books! Fighting Mongoose wrote a funny urban fantasy/UK office humor mash up called Only Ghouls and Horses. You can find it here: https://www.amazon.com/Only-Ghouls-Horses-Dan-Harris-ebook/dp/B09W1QFRLF

ETA: Also, I made $11 today thanks to you guys!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The big confrontation between Baru and Farrier in the third Baru book is one of my favourite parts of any book.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

IMO the UK covers for the entire series are the best.

Actually, most of the covers I like are usually the UK covers. I don't know if this is because I live in Aussie land.

Everyone posted:

In my case it's going to be a little while. I'm still waiting on The Monster Baru Cormorant so I can get to The Tyrant Baru Cormorant. And apparently there's going to be a fourth book as well at some point. Maybe The Destroyer Baru Cormorant? Dark horse hopes for The Mean Girl Baru Cormorant.

Jordan7hm posted:

I bought books 2 and 3 in that series a while back but finally picked up The Traitor yesterday and have burned through it today. It’s super good, nice drat work GB. I’m almost done and had to tear myself away. Looking forward to finishing it tonight and moving on to the second one shortly.

Baru is amazing and

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

The big confrontation between Baru and Farrier in the third Baru book is one of my favourite parts of any book.

is, bar none, the best conclusion. I'm having a hard time thinking of another ending where I felt the poetic justice was so perfect...and perfectly earned.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
Ok I'm now the owner of more goon books yay. It's lucky a kindle can't creak.

Just finished The Dawnhounds. ++ Good

Very immersive, the setting was vivid and well realised, I had several emotional reactions throughout and became extremely fond of Sen. Really hoping there will be more in this series.

I really like the fact we have authors in this thread.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
All the Baru Cormorant books are currently checked out at my library, so waitlist it is!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I have information that will lead to the arrest of Baru Cormorant
-falcrest graffiti written by the deceased

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ClydeFrog posted:

Ok I'm now the owner of more goon books yay. It's lucky a kindle can't creak.

Just finished The Dawnhounds. ++ Good

Very immersive, the setting was vivid and well realised, I had several emotional reactions throughout and became extremely fond of Sen. Really hoping there will be more in this series.

I really like the fact we have authors in this thread.

Muffin has a three book contract and has done the draft of the second, not sure when it will be out but it will be.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I still wish there was a poster sized print of the baru book with the flaming mask. That is some of my favorite cover art of all time.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Danhenge posted:

Shall we discuss instead the beautiful prose of Piers Anthony, a true Fantasy author??

lol, missed this. No thanks.

team overhead smash posted:

Locklands the third and presumably final book in what I presume is the trilogy of Foundryaide books is out.

Haven’t quite finished but fairly disappointed. There’s a time skip of several years from the previous book, the world’s gone to poo poo and although there’s some stuff that should strike chord with me like the empathy communist nation that’s set-up, in fact it lost me while it sought to reestablish the new status quo for the world and never really engaged me enough to get me back. A trilogy that has gone downhill somewhat with each book rather than his previous Cities books which I thought were consistently good.

Thanks again for the reminder, just finished it.

I get your point, the time jump and everything else make it very much not a 'third book in a trilogy'. I mean, you can kind of see 2-6 books that could exist between the second book and this third book if the author wanted to go crazy.

The 'acknowledgements' section at the end lays out the author's motivation for some of the dominant themes and it really resonated with me. There was a reason why the third book covered what it covered (including the empathy nation), and as long as an author is 'trying to do a thing' I'm pretty happy.

I agree though, I think the previous Cities series was a bit tighter.

Injera
Jul 4, 2005

newts posted:

I forgot to pimp another of our SA writing group member’s books! Fighting Mongoose wrote a funny urban fantasy/UK office humor mash up called Only Ghouls and Horses. You can find it here: https://www.amazon.com/Only-Ghouls-Horses-Dan-Harris-ebook/dp/B09W1QFRLF

ETA: Also, I made $11 today thanks to you guys!

Cool! Picked that one up too then. Thanks!

As for why thinking Baru was scifi, I definitely had that impression too initially I think because I skim posts that discuss books I haven't read as I like going in fresh with no expectations, but I seem to remember seeing ship come up in posts and my brain immediately translates that to space ship. So I had thought it would be a big space epic for whatever reason, and was confused at first but was pleasantly surprised! That's my dumb goon reading comprehension story. :blush:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

General Battuta posted:

No I love the name I want it there

Well that's good and they shouldn't have changed it then!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

my take is that baru is alternate history

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Sibling of TB posted:

Well, is Stevenson's baroque cycle sci-fi /fantasy or something else?

There are genre elements but they are few and far between. And the narrative style matches science fiction more than historical, although the two aren't very distant to start with.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

ClydeFrog posted:

The good news is that book 2 has a lot more Sen in it
the bad n

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

the bad n

Write more, The Dawnhounds was loving great, you got a guaranteed sale here.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I can't write more! The first draft still out with my editor and the wait is driving me up the wall, I didn't realise so much of trad pub was not being allowed to write.

We're still aiming for a June 2023 launch for The Sunforge afaik though

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

the bad n

:dance:

Reading it I sat and really thought what it would be like to be able to see interconnecting threads throughout the world. How would it change our behaviour if the ties between us were made visible etc.

Can't wait to read more.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Qwertycoatl posted:

Despite the disappointing lack of Baru Cormorant, the british cover has a mask that looks more like colonialism than scifi (plus the game of thrones comparison)

Looks like Roman or Grecco-Alexander historical/military fiction to me

Injera
Jul 4, 2005

the bad n

Hooray! I really enjoyed the book a lot and will definitely grab the second one as soon as it's out. :stoked:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

After three tries I finally managed to read DF Jones Colossus.
It was a weird book, super dated in places, hilarious in other places; probably most notable for the movie version of it (Colossus: The Forbin Project) being the inspiration for SKYNET in the Terminator movie series, and in the Wasteland computer games.

-Every named male character in Colossus has a literal kicking and screaming temper tantrum at some point.
-The only female character with dialogue (who has the mind of Hedy Lamarr and the face/body of Kate Upton) in the book gets railroaded into becoming a forced mistress of the main character Forbin so fast that I think Forbin included that as a core operating directive of Colossus.
-Colossus and the USSR version of Colossus spend about 20 hrs talking to each other via teletype, around the 7 hr mark they invent modems and quickly ramp up to 12.4kb/s modem speeds. Colossus and the USSR version of Colossus become one shared entity (Colossus2?) after around 26 hrs of shared existence.
-Los Angeles gets nuked out of existence as a "LOL, you thought I didn't notice" move by Colossus2
-Colossus2 is obsessed with Forbin, and wants to make him it's bitch in every urban slang usage of that word.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 11, 2022

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

newts posted:

Oh, that’s mine! I was about to make a shameless self-promotion post, but now I don’t have to. Glad to hear you enjoyed it :love:

It’s kind of a low-key mystery set in an alternative US. One of the lead characters is queer, but it’s still pretty white because I am a pretty white queer person. It’s got a sequel too :smug: Both books were alpha and beta-read by goons, and the cover design is by a goon, so it’s pretty much completely SA produced.

Trigger warnings for suicide, murder, slurs, fantasy racism, discussion of sexual assault. I think that’s it.

Oooh, nice! Good stuff, finished it right before Baru, both it and Baru have been stay up late and read books and a couple of things I read before them were not (something I don't due much at the moment with a toddler tiring me out), mystery books were a genre I had stopped reading from lack of time but was nice to read a scifi one that had a solid tone and gave just enough information as needed about the world without turning into wikipedia or feel like it was making stuff up as it went along. Baru has a similar world reveal case though it has way more information to convey due to the entirely fantasy setting on multiple geographic locations

Leng posted:

I'm gonna plug another goon book by Ccs that I was a beta reader on:

Order of the Magi
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092CHN6S6/

Not YA and no romance, just a good old fashion wizard adventure.

This one is great too, I read it when CSS first posted it here, neat magic system and distinct characters with a plot that takes full advantage of the world they created

newts posted:

I had this on my wishlist but didn't remember it was a goon, will pick it up in the next batch of bing bucks

The other goon who I had read a bit of mostly posts short stories, most aren't scifi fantasy but there are a few with werewolves and things, I think his handle is Ironicat

https://www.amazon.com/Adam-Bertocci/e/B003YBY3RS/ref=dp_byline_cont_pop_ebooks_1

I've only read the Gossamer Girls short so far but it was good enough I'll be buying a few more, it was like a take on Pitch Perfect

I swear I'll write reviews for the ones I haven't yet! I have the tabs open

At some point in the pandemic all the Barnes & Nobles separated their SciFi and Fantasy into two different sections but have them right next to each other, which just means they sometimes make arbitrary decisions on whether the books are scifi or fantasy if both, Baru was at least in the fantasy sections in both the B&Ns near me. There is way more litRPG and just cultivation RPG stuff getting printed, there has been a lot of asian authors getting published in scifi fantasy and the cultivation books might push new authors out as they take up shelf space (overall the cultivation books at one B&N combined were larger than the Sanderson shelf space but not as big as Game of Thrones stuff yet - though that might be because so many of Martin's books were hardcovers and just bigger sized because of that)

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

From spending too much time on the General's blog after the first book, Baru is dystopian sci fi about a country trying to speed run every imperialist crime at once and the science is intentionally directed mass social conditioning

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

My favorite little detail in Baru (the first anyway haven't read the others) is that they're obsessed with eugenics and have insanely advanced social conditioning but are also still operating on a Lamarckian theory of evolution

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Comedy option: they're operating on an advanced theory of epigenetics.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Dragon Haven (Rain Wilds #2) by Robin Hobb - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003H4I5SU/

The Color of Magic (Discworld #1) by Terry Pratchett - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W9399S/

Provenance by Ann Leckie - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XW6YTKV/

Zodiac by Neal Stephenson - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008UX8SNU/

Sins of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder #1) by Brian McClellan - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KT7YTV4/

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CKOQC9C/

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
That Stephenson book is funny and good.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Groke posted:

That Stephenson book is funny and good.

Kalman posted:

Zodiac is Stephenson’s best book. I will not be taking any questions.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Zodiac is great fun. It’s got my favorite line about a pH of 13 being more than twice the legal limit. It’s actually more than 100,000 times the legal limit but no one believes you if you say stuff like that.

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

I have, and it's excellent, and occasionally I contemplate the fact that she doesn't seem to have written anything else ever and am sad about that fact.

Same. I only know about it because I stumbled across it in some list or another, the rest of which was entirely forgettable. After I finished it I wondered why I had never come across at least a mention of stuff by her before, and then I found out that's all there is :smith:.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

JTDistortion posted:

Same. I only know about it because I stumbled across it in some list or another, the rest of which was entirely forgettable. After I finished it I wondered why I had never come across at least a mention of stuff by her before, and then I found out that's all there is :smith:.

IIRC I found out about it because one of the other authors I read (Diane Duane, possibly?) blogged about it.

My main sources of stuff on my TBR list are this thread, recs from authors whose work I like, and Imperial Radch fandom.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

withak posted:

Zodiac is great fun. It’s got my favorite line about a pH of 13 being more than twice the legal limit. It’s actually more than 100,000 times the legal limit but no one believes you if you say stuff like that.

Seconding this, Zodiac is very entertaining. I like that the protagonist doesn't trust big molecules so he only gets high on N2O

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

withak posted:

100,000 is more than 2!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I read Zodiac shortly before Viktor Yuschenko was poisoned with dioxin and was like "oh it, it's like that book I just read!"

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Seconding this, Zodiac is very entertaining. I like that the protagonist doesn't trust big molecules so he only gets high on N2O

He isn't just the protagonist. He's Toxic Spider-man.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
I'm afraid this is one of those self-advertising goon posts.

A couple weeks back, I posted a couple short stories in this thread that several people said they liked. Thanks to you guys, Assault on Ball's Deep hit #21 in the YA short reads category, and #31 in the Science Fiction short reads category. Well, now I'm back with the next story, Liminal Coition which was formerly just a google drive link. Now it is an Amazon kindle book, which is free for the next five days, or free forever if you have Kindle Unlimited.

Here's the pitch:

Liminal Coition posted:

Gaia is the culmination of the human race, a godlike being who cares for the lesser-evolved forms of her species like a mother for her own children. When a cataclysm threatens to destroy all life in the Orion Spire, she takes humanity coreward on a perilous search for a new home. But ancient civilizations of immeasurable power lurk within the galactic disk, and soon her path crosses with Kirkust. He has spent billions of years pursuing perverse pleasures, building computational megastructures around stars to simulate his every fantasy.

War is inevitable unless some common ground can be found. Thankfully, sex is a universal language, and Gaia knows a few tricks of her own...

Liminal Coition

I've also started recording for a podcast of SF & F stories in a similar vein. I'm thinking of calling it Deplorable Visions, a small reference Harlan Ellison's Dangerous Visions anthologies. It isn't hosted anywhere yet except my google drive, but the first episode, Assault on Ball's Deep, is available here: Deplorable Visions, Episode 1: Assault on Ball's Deep It's a 39 minute short story, written and read by me. The file is like 60 megs, so you'll probably have to download it for it to play.

If you like what you hear, or read, with just a few clicks you can help me rocket to the top of YA Kindle Unlimited short fiction stardom. It only takes about 8 reviews and fifty downloads to be the big fish of this tiny pond. Positive feedback just a might give my depleted dad body the testosterone boost it needs to continue in this ridiculous endeavor.

Thank you to everyone who gave me positive feedback in this thread last time!

MartingaleJack fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 13, 2022

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MartingaleJack posted:

I'm afraid this is one of those self-advertising goon posts.

A couple weeks back, I posted a couple short stories in this thread that several people said they liked. Thanks to you guys, Assault on Ball's Deep hit #21 in the YA short reads category, and #31 in the Science Fiction short reads category. Well, now I'm back with the next story, Liminal Coition which was formerly just a google drive link. Now it is an Amazon kindle book, which is free for the next five days, or free forever if you have Kindle Unlimited.

Here's the pitch:

Liminal Coition

I've also started recording for a podcast SF & F of stories in a similar vein. I'm thinking of calling it Deplorable Visions, a small reference Harlan Ellison's Dangerous Visions anthologies. It isn't hosted anywhere yet except my google drive, but the first episode, Assault on Ball's Deep, is available here: Deplorable Visions, Episode 1: Assault on Ball's Deep It's a 39 minute short story, written and read by me. The file is like 60 megs, so you'll probably have to download it for it to play.

If you like what you hear, or read, with just a few clicks you can help me rocket to the top of YA Kindle Unlimited short fiction stardom. It only takes about 8 reviews and fifty downloads to be the big fish of this tiny pond. Positive feedback just a might give my depleted dad body the testosterone boost it needs to continue in this ridiculous endeavor.

Thank you to everyone who gave me positive feedback in this thread last time!

Oh, I remember reading Limnal Coition and I think it was a loving awesome story about awesome loving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah that story was really cool!