Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So what exactly is the point of Yammer? Is that like a thing people really use or is your companies just full of HR posting every few days trying to start a conversation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

You use it for corporate shitposting, if you get really good at it it'll turn itself into your company's NextDoor, with all the usual characters.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Zil posted:

So what exactly is the point of Yammer? Is that like a thing people really use or is your companies just full of HR posting every few days trying to start a conversation?

Yammer point was to do social messaging with your internal teams or the whole firm without a stream of mails. It got instantly obsoleted by teams and it's being kept since killing it would mean writing off a sizable investment(I think it almost costed as much as LinkedIn). The sole benefit compared to teams is that corporate wide comms are better on yammer since it's not as notification heavy.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

A month and a half into the new job and I'm getting really tired of the attitude for our AWS environment being "We can't do anything that will cost more money."

Technically, the cheapest thing to do would be to close the business.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Is there a reason not to use Google DNS? Been using it out of force of habit.

probably not tbh, I've just never used gcp even for hobby/ lab stuff and keep forgetting about it

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
I've been setting it as the third and fourth IP on our DHCP systems for years.

First IP is our internal DNS, Second is our ISP DNS.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I hate git SO MUCH

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

confusion probably mine, but dns management and dns resolvers aren't the same thing

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

KillHour posted:

Technically, the cheapest thing to do would be to close the business.

Like I'm not sure our revenue numbers but we're paying about 50k per month to AWS, which overall is not a lot of money for our entire infrastructure outside of legacy stuff that we're trying to move acquired companies off of.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

if I wasn't on vacation i'd post a screenshot of our azure spend during peak season

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

it's 8-digits

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Fool posted:

confusion probably mine, but dns management and dns resolvers aren't the same thing

No, the confusion was all mine. Sorry!

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
Yeah, I guess I kind of assume that when someone talks about "Google DNS" they're talking about the public resolvers.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

KillHour posted:

I hate git SO MUCH

Git is fine. What used to piss me off was when devs would set up local code repositories for preproduction and production on the same goddamn server, just different folders called pre and prod. Totally safe with zero chance of pushing the wrong code base to the wrong folder. Trust us.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Git out

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Fool posted:

if I wasn't on vacation i'd post a screenshot of our azure spend during peak season

During peak season your company probably makes orders of magnitude more than this company does annually though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Zil posted:

Virtue signaling at work

That and keeping the other locations up to date on your dumb activities. We all went for a fifteen minute walk! Yay health! Look at this group picture of these sweaty motherfuckers

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I log on to check whether a DNS change worked because I did it near the end of the day and the DNS management console has a minimum 4 hour TTL. I made a note in a ticket saying that I was going to make these changes to point an old site to our test site because I'm having to make changes on the test site's end as well and don't want to risk an outage on the live site. The marketing guy who has been making a huge fuss about the redirection and causing it to become my top priority insists that no that won't work, we need to redirect it to the live site.

I told him that I will direct it to the live site once I have tested it on the test site, and that I'm not risking creating an outage if I can avoid it. If he keeps pushing I'm going to tell him to stop telling me how to do my job and probably remind him that the last time I did something the way he demanded it caused an outage impacting hundreds of customers.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

PremiumSupport posted:

I've been setting it as the third and fourth IP on our DHCP systems for years.

First IP is our internal DNS, Second is our ISP DNS.

I wouldn't set my worst enemies DNS to Verizon or Optimum's DNS. Do they still server back fake ad pages if you enter a incorrect FQDN?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

A month and a half into the new job and I'm getting really tired of the attitude for our AWS environment being "We can't do anything that will cost more money."

One of the reasons I left my previous job (which was otherwise an excellent place to work) was they just kept not giving us a lab AWS environment. Our entire infra automation was in terraform, and we had no choice but to basically test it live against real customer environments. It was very frustrating.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I log on to check whether a DNS change worked because I did it near the end of the day and the DNS management console has a minimum 4 hour TTL.

:psyduck:

My man, this isn't 1990 anymore. It's not even 2011 when Postini enforced a 48 hour TTL because Google was a bunch of dicks. If you can, move to a DNS provider that allows you to ratchet down to absurdly low TTLs for changes and then back up as necessary, but even then, nowadays I think steady-state 5 minute TTLs (default in Route53) are fine - the Internet should be generally fast enough to handle the increased DNS traffic*. I think Route53 can go down to 1 second, but that just seems very inconsiderate even with modern Internet so for changes I move to 1 minute (waiting five minutes obviously for TTL to expire) and then back to 5 once change is confirmed. Really avoids all the nervousness and pain of a DNS change - if something hosed up, no problem, change back and at most something was down for a minute or two.

*currently not applicable in Canada

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
gently caress that ill set TTL to .000000001 milliseconds if they let me

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

SyNack Sassimov posted:

:psyduck:

My man, this isn't 1990 anymore. It's not even 2011 when Postini enforced a 48 hour TTL because Google was a bunch of dicks. If you can, move to a DNS provider that allows you to ratchet down to absurdly low TTLs for changes and then back up as necessary, but even then, nowadays I think steady-state 5 minute TTLs (default in Route53) are fine - the Internet should be generally fast enough to handle the increased DNS traffic*. I think Route53 can go down to 1 second, but that just seems very inconsiderate even with modern Internet so for changes I move to 1 minute (waiting five minutes obviously for TTL to expire) and then back to 5 once change is confirmed. Really avoids all the nervousness and pain of a DNS change - if something hosed up, no problem, change back and at most something was down for a minute or two.

*currently not applicable in Canada

It's part of the garbage setup that an acquisition had. Thankfully I've been having enough problems (the DNS provider also doesn't support alias records which AWS would really prefer you use) that management agreed to just move off that provider wholesale so we're going to bring everything into Route 53 rather than adding more steps to this Rube Goldberg machine.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Our change manager sent out an all-IT MSTeams meeting a few weeks back to go over the new change approval process.

Literally 7 minutes before the meeting they send out an update to the invite switching platform from Teams to Zoom "to make it go smoother", but forgot to remove the Outlook Teams crap that gives you a join button on the popup, so naturally people who hadn't seen the new email and just clicked the popup joined the wrong meeting. This happened continually as they were trying to start

On top of that, quite a few of the teams that were in the office had decided to just go into an empty meeting room and put it on the big screen and speaker as everyone hates teams meetings when the person at the next desk is in the same meeting. Our meeting room kit is heavily MSTeams integrated and the computers in those rooms don't even have Zoom installed.

One of the topics in the meeting is about why we can't just do last minute changes any more.

Lum fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 9, 2022

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
They started using CyberArk where I work. I get it, In reality users don't need to be able to install software without permission.

However it also blocks some programs from running.
Net and netstat

I put in a request to get those programs cleared to use. The CyberArk person saw what functions they had and said it was too dangerous. I tried to explain that I couldn't change anything with those command line programs that I couldn't do in the windows.

How does someone who has a support/ security job not know that

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

we use secure one and once I was approved for local admin I just have to click a couple buttons and I have it for an hour

the only thing I've gotten any guff for installing has been firefox

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Microsoft fix your poo poo please

Scrolling around to allow some AJAX site to load the records so the search function works properly? Nah

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

joebuddah posted:

They started using CyberArk where I work. I get it, In reality users don't need to be able to install software without permission.

We use CyberArk as a password store

You log in, find the password you want and then you check it out.

But in reality you see that Joe has it checked out so you reach out to Joe on Teams and he says he's busy so he can't check it back in even though it's been two days. Then you either just copy the password out of there or Joe sends it to you over Teams.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I was a CyberArk admin, with literally thousands of usernames and passwords at my fingertips. It was a little cumbersome at first but with 15000 employees it worked out pretty well

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It's part of the garbage setup that an acquisition had. Thankfully I've been having enough problems (the DNS provider also doesn't support alias records which AWS would really prefer you use) that management agreed to just move off that provider wholesale so we're going to bring everything into Route 53 rather than adding more steps to this Rube Goldberg machine.

playing the 'how will this garbo registrar decided to gently caress around with DNS this week' game is *fun*

NZ has a large one that charges extra for PREMIUM DNS for txt records or TTL editing, never use Crazydomains for anything.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why the gently caress does clicking "join meeting" in an Outlook reminder not also dismiss the reminder? You've actioned it, you don't need reminding again.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I wouldn't set my worst enemies DNS to Verizon or Optimum's DNS. Do they still server back fake ad pages if you enter a incorrect FQDN?

Yeah our ISP is actually pretty decent so I have no problems using their DNS servers. If they were crappy I'd be using Google's as the secondary.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
imo if you aren't using CloudFlare you hosed up

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Bob Morales posted:

Virtue signaling at work

That and keeping the other locations up to date on your dumb activities. We all went for a fifteen minute walk! Yay health! Look at this group picture of these sweaty motherfuckers

You forget Yammer is good for “Working Out Loud” one team bragged how they had no internal e-mail anymore.

As a remote worker (long before Covid) the one thing I liked about Yammer was being able to connect with people across the geographic locations on different topics that used to be water cooler conversations on top of the regular business communities.

Now that we’re spread out across Yammer, Teams, and Slack it’s a jumbled up mess.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Why the gently caress does clicking "join meeting" in an Outlook reminder not also dismiss the reminder? You've actioned it, you don't need reminding again.

Because half the time something will go wrong and you need to join a second time anyway

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I have never once intentionally clicked on yammer, gently caress all social media especially at work.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I understand that you have an urgent requirement, and are working to strict deadlines, but it doesn't mean I can get you 20 access points and some PoE switches any sooner than a few months.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

I understand that you have an urgent requirement, and are working to strict deadlines, but it doesn't mean I can get you 20 access points and some PoE switches any sooner than a few months.

SUPPLY CHAIN

"How's July sound? No, 2023"

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

SUPPLY CHAIN

"How's July sound? No, 2023"

We ordered 3 "office focused" desktops with 8 gigs of ram in March. They arrived today

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Not pissing me off, one of the very few examples of a feature request that a support tech said they'd definitely submit resulted in a change being made to a product:

I've no idea how this headset (Poly Voyager) shipped defaulting to answering a call when it was lifted out the charging cradle, with no option to not do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

I've no idea how this headset (Poly Voyager) shipped defaulting to answering a call when it was lifted out the charging cradle, with no option to not do that.

That's been the default behavior on every Jabra or Plantronics wireless headset I've ever used. I see why the option to not do that might be nice in some use cases but I've never had any of my clients ask for it to be changed.

It is amazing to me however that you got a useful response from Poly support. They make Microsoft support seem amazing.