Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
They happened at the same time: https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/blizzard/22833558/heroes-of-the-storm-news

quote:

We now have more live games and unannounced projects than at any point in the company’s history. We’re also at a point where we need to take some of our talented developers and bring their skills to other projects.

lmao, lol. From December 2018 to now… boy that looks like it hasn’t worked out great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Best change they ever made to the game was when they bragged about bringing in some sort of biology expert to revamp the AI system and now it just hearths and sits in the base as soon as someone leaves.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Rexicon1 posted:

Death to Esports

Good news!

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
how the gently caress are people playing Leoric like he’s Murky

stop spawning by their keep and getting instantly killed dude, you wasted all my double soaking XP gains and now they are level and you’re dead for a full minute because you keep missing your creepy hand and not getting a discount on the death timer

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Ah, that takes me back to... *checks google* July 21st 2015.

Holy poo poo, it's been seven years since Leoric was released.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Best change they ever made to the game was when they bragged about bringing in some sort of biology expert to revamp the AI system and now it just hearths and sits in the base as soon as someone leaves.

And they said AI could never emulate (gamer) life.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Kalko posted:

Ah, that takes me back to... *checks google* July 21st 2015.

Holy poo poo, it's been seven years since Leoric was released.

Me, playing League. "While I miss the unique and fun HotS champs, I don't miss suicide pushing Leorics."

League: *hullbreaker sion becomes meta*

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Had an absolute blast and carried an ARAM game as Nazeebo.

I took Thing of the Deep (range+ on skills) at level one because the most dangerous thing in ARAM is being a little too far forward. If you get dived, you will die.

Next I took Blood Ritual. Running out of heals or mana is a big problem for a lot of heroes in ARAM and this lets you always be topped up and ready to keep going. Combined with the increased range, I basically had endless mana and self heals at no risk to myself.

Nothing else mattered. I ignored the teamfights and anything outside lane, just carefully pushed and made sure that every single minion died with my DoT on it to trigger Blood Ritual. They had 2 Deathwings and Azmodan but couldn't push against me. It was a stalemate with no buildings down until lvl 20 and I got Vile Infection. I just kept carefully clearing waves, but the extra DoT outpaced their push and any heroes in the lane ended up taking big incidental damage from being near my spellcasts.

I had top siege damage by a huge margin, and also had more hero damage than any of the players on either team that actually fought each other. I purposely cast a spell at a hero maybe 5 times in 25 minutes. The rest of the damage was enemy heroes getting in the way of me pushing and clearing waves. Do not walk in front of the bulldozer; injury may occur.

I took Ravenous Spirit for my ult, and that was a mistake. Every single time I would have one of the two Deathwings stun me out of channeling the ult in 1-2 seconds. Shut that down completely. Didn't matter. I could have not cast my ult at all, my basic skills and Blood Ritual were doing all the heavy lifting.

What other heroes are self-powered dynamos in ARAM? I don't play it that often, but assume Gul'dan works well for the same reasons. Azmodan has great pushing potential but he can't regenerate his own mana and can't just hearth to base and refill it. Probius seems like he can self-sustain and push hard as well but he's so squishy and lacks the range to do it safely like my Nazeebo build.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Sounds like a fun time! Yeah Naz is an ARAM powerhouse. Some similar ranged characters would be Azmo, Junkrat, or Kael'thas, which all have a good mix of range and sustained AOE firepower. Stitches and Zarya can offer up tanky versions of the same concept - able to deliver surprising amounts of damage once their abilities come online.

https://www.icy-veins.com/heroes/heroes-of-the-storm-aram-tier-list

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
For exactly the reason you outlined, pushers are very strong if they’re left to their own devices. Azmodan may be the strongest ARAM character against team comps that can’t push well because he practically guarantees that, at worst, you’ll have a stalemate like that. There are a couple characters like valla that require not being behind at level 10 but will probably just slowly grind through the enemy team regardless of composition after that.
The next level is synergistic ults, gazlowe + deckard cain kinda stuff will just scoop up a triple with no contest and from there you can usually keep them on the back foot long enough to get a couple level lead.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I’ve won multiple ARAMs with Azmo while taking no damage. Literally zero damage. Just sitting back, dunking and hitting 400 stacks quickly.

Guldan; Valla with Multishot; Cassia with stacking at 1, invincible fend at 13, and more stacking at 16 on fend is a monster.

Johanna with Alex globe build, Anub with beetle build can sometimes top damage and self-healing.

Oh and Zul’jin with double stacking below 50% can turn him into a gatling gun of axes.

Bodacious
Jul 29, 2010
There is a reason azmo and chromie were banned in ARAM initially: extreme ranged damage with no real way to counter. Both are pretty silly in that mode.

Also, that tier list has some weird rankings, Malganis, Rag, and Dehaka are all fine in ARAM imo and can be quite strong if played properly.

Zuljin should have his own tier above everything else.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Bodacious posted:

Also, that tier list has some weird rankings, Malganis, Rag, and Dehaka are all fine in ARAM imo and can be quite strong if played properly.

I'm pretty sure there's an ARAM map that doesn't even have brush.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
There is indeed an ARAM map with no bush, it also has conveyors which I enjoy in normals but despise in aram for whatever reason. It matters very little for dehaka, the mobility isn’t as crucial and I never miss the talents.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
put Aba in ARAM cowards

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Bodacious posted:

Also, that tier list has some weird rankings

malf in s-tier is laughable

stukov and lucio in anything but s-tier is also laughable

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

"As there is no macro in ARAM and your team cannot be punished for a lack of waveclear,"

like come the gently caress on, minions block skillshots and push towers. you generally want at least one person on waveclear duty to clear the noise and stall pushes as much as you can, especially when it gets down to the core since they don't have shields in ARAM

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Kith posted:

malf in s-tier is laughable

stukov and lucio in anything but s-tier is also laughable

Yeah agreed, that seems super bullshit. Same with Kel'thuzad being mediocre. I haven't played in a while but it's hard to believe that balance has changed. I'd assume that someone has a misbegotten love affair with Malf's roots, which is nice and all but that's pretty situational. Meanwhile Kel wrecks ARAM so long as your ping is decent.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I was about to say that KTZ is *extremely* match dependent (Lucio makes him sad, for example, whilst his good matchups he's incredibly good against) and I suppose that remains true in ARAM but I don't know the first thing about actually playing it.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Lili is Super S tier in ARAM (along with everywhere else, really) and anyone who disagrees hates little bears

InformationHigh
Jun 27, 2004

I have a real hosed up fast feet build that is insanely fun and makes you as unkillable as Deckard with an unlimited mana pool. You just have to be good with taking some small damage (run into a minion, intentionally grab a DOT) to keep FF constantly going.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Anduin or bust. I love how utterly smugly irritating he is.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Shockeh posted:

Anduin or bust. I love how utterly smugly irritating he is.

Yanking somebody back with your D cast and using the voice line "what are you trying to pull?" never gets old

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/heroes-of-the-storm/23820714/heroes-of-the-storm-update-july-8-2022

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Not surprising but definitely the final nail

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Shame. liked how much more accessible HOTS was compared to League, with having shared XP and no terrible shop mechanic and no awful last hitting mechanic

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Macaluso posted:

Shame. liked how much more accessible HOTS was compared to League, with having shared XP and no terrible shop mechanic and no awful last hitting mechanic

Seconding this. HOTS had a great many good ideas and it's an absolute shame that it didn't go farther. That's just :blizz: these days though

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
So...we're not getting Blackthorne?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

HOTS was easily the best MOBA of the lot. Shame that Blizzard had to Blizzard it up.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

rip HOTS. but whatever i'll continue to quickmatch genji

If I move to LoL what heroes are like genjis??

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yasuo is pretty genji-like in both role and aesthetic, but Samira is probably more genji in terms of mechanics.

Also rip the best moba.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
RIP HOTS, the only MOBA that has Murky. Still going to boot it up and play occasionally anyway, it's not like I was expecting them to start putting work into it again after years of inaction.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
3.0 Waiting Room No More

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Time to take it in - the final patch in HotS:

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/heroes-of-the-storm/23814051/heroes-of-the-storm-patch-notes-july-12-2022

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.

:(

Too beautiful for this world.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

FungiCap posted:

:(

Too beautiful for this world.

RIP HOTS, still gonna play but y'know. Maybe in a year they'll decide there's enough psychos still playing to warrant paying attention again, probably not!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

maybe elon will buy hots

edit: did the patch buff genji yet

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I want HotS: Classic. Everything they tried to do to make the game into an esport failed and (in my opinion) made the game worse. I want my Classic Azmodunk and Sgt Hammer and all the other heroes they ruined in the quest for whatever the gently caress they were questing for. Let me go back to goofing around with the game and having fun punching action figures together.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

NorgLyle posted:

Let me go back to goofing around with the game and having fun punching action figures together.

i pretty much exclusively play murky at this point for exactly this reason. i would love to play a version where everyone takes it exactly as seriously as i do (not at all).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I was hoping for one final balance patch to mix things up before it went into maintenance mode. Was always fun to theorycraft something new from the patch notes and try out a new build.

My goal when I first started playing was to unlock every hero without paying real life money. It took years, but I did it. And I had fun doing it the whole time. I'll keep playing at the same leisurely pace, taking months long breaks when I get bored or some other game has me really obsessed. I will only quit HotS when the playerbase dries up.

Right now, I still have to constantly remove people from my friends list (that 200 limit is assinine) to make room for new ones in a current queue group. I'm not sad that hots is "done" now.

I'll be sad when there's not enough people to play it with anymore :smith: