Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Halo/status/1544777461984100357?s=20&t=DAohx5h1VLrG3UwTADpcRA

343 is working with community modders to dig up and patch up prerelease content from Halo and Halo 2 for use in mods and other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
takes me back to the glory days of exploring out of bounds areas in halo 2. kicks rear end

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

exploring out of bounds areas in every game is a good time

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

blatman posted:

exploring out of bounds areas in every game is a good time

Except in Doom's hall of mirrors :barf:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/Halo/status/1544777461984100357?s=20&t=DAohx5h1VLrG3UwTADpcRA

343 is working with community modders to dig up and patch up prerelease content from Halo and Halo 2 for use in mods and other stuff.
Grim lol that they're announcing this on the same day as Take-Two declaring war on all modders everywhere

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Pretty good posted:

Grim lol that they're announcing this on the same day as Take-Two declaring war on all modders everywhere

It's only the like, fifth or so time Take Two has done that now

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Halo 2 mongoose and flamethrower then.

Although I think they added the flamethrower to the PC port of Halo 2?

Or maybe it was CE.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
https://twitter.com/2021Kduck/status/1544718264839729152

The prototype for Garou Mark of the Wolves 2, a cancelled fighting game from SNK, has been discovered. There were spritesheets of the characters floating around on teh web already, curious to see what they're gonna find on the discs.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

Halo 2 mongoose and flamethrower then.

Although I think they added the flamethrower to the PC port of Halo 2?

Or maybe it was CE.
The Flamethrower was CE, and modified into a finished form for the PC port, along with the fuel rod gun.

This asset collection is basically offering a pre-Gearbox version of that weapon, which is very interesting indeed…

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's only the like, fifth or so time Take Two has done that now
I think this time is a notable escalation because they are now going after projects that contain zero copyrighted material and don't even do the asset-shuffling stuff that those old combine-every-GTA-game mods did, so unless someone impacted by this new round of DMCA trolling actually contests it, the new precedent is gonna be Do Not loving Dare Mod A Rockstar Game

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Some (very short) footage of the cancelled Doom 4 and some 2016 test footage, animatics and tech demos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvb04gU_UmU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Veotax posted:

Some (very short) footage of the cancelled Doom 4 and some 2016 test footage, animatics and tech demos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvb04gU_UmU

so glad we got doom 2016 and doom eternal instead lol. it looked just more like doom 3, which was fine, sure but the correct timeline is eternal. 100%

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It looked very cookie cutter. I’m glad they changed course since a typical generic shooter of that era with a Doom skin over it would have been sad.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The real insult is that wack loving super shotgun

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Good soup! posted:

The real insult is that wack loving super shotgun
I think the 3D model for the SSG actually survived into the final game! The sound got a much needed buff, though...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/vxunderground/status/1546479433405665280

Expect potentially a Bandai Namco leak like the Capcom one

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

*places card to head*

I see... several Dragonball games, a Naruto game, some Gundam games... a new Tales game with a ridiculous name... and Ace Combat 8

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ImpAtom posted:

*places card to head*

I see... several Dragonball games, a Naruto game, some Gundam games... a new Tales game with a ridiculous name... and Ace Combat 8

A nice Ridge Racer would be dope but they don’t seem to care anymore.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Finally the bloodborne pc port

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Finally the bloodborne pc port

Sony published that. That’s why it’s exclusive still.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

FROM lost the source code when they backed up the entire thing to WaffleImages

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Bunch of heathens in this thread not caring about Tekken smdh

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/damgentemp/status/1546762098314731521

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Nah, it will be a dead in the water crossover game and switch ports of the ps1 Namco Museums. Gotta go full silly.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The Kins posted:

I think the 3D model for the SSG actually survived into the final game! The sound got a much needed buff, though...

The model looks ok, the reloading animation and sound are weak as hell though

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

SeANMcBAY posted:

A nice Ridge Racer would be dope but they don’t seem to care anymore.

i try to think of it as them accepting that they can't ever top what was done

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Good lord, that walk speed, that wooden combat, that last battle... Yeesh. That was painful to watch.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dip Viscous posted:

i try to think of it as them accepting that they can't ever top what was done
At least one of the people involved refuses to give up.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Waffleman_ posted:

Question - if a company developed a game say in the 80's or early 90's, what media would they usually end up putting the source code on?

I'm worried that if Bandai Namco didn't make a backup of their servers, they could have just lost the source code to some of their old arcade games, and make them impossible to port again. I know people will make jokes about them losing the source code for a Pac-Man collection , but what I'm really worried about the older Namco games that almost NEVER get re-released, like Burning Force or Phelios

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 12, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The answer, especially for Japanese companies and especially that far back is usually either paper or nothing.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

don't worry, I'm sure they lost the source code to those decades before this hack

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The actual answer is probably tapes. The leaks at Nintendo revealed that was at least the case for them, and at least some of them had failed at this point.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Turbinosamente posted:

switch ports of the ps1 Namco Museums. Gotta go full silly.

I’d actually be super down for this.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’d actually be super down for this.

Me too, especially if it's the games Namco never ports. That's why I was really excited when they announced that they were adding the Namco games to Arcade Archives

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The actual answer is probably tapes. The leaks at Nintendo revealed that was at least the case for them, and at least some of them had failed at this point.

So the source code for the older games just stays on the tapes/floppy drives and just never get put on a server most of the time?

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 12, 2022

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Willo567 posted:

So the source code for the older games just stays on the tapes/floppy drives and just never get put on a server most of the time?

Well, yeah. You have to remember, until relatively recently these companies didn't see preserving these things as important. Video games are a commodity designed to be played and then set aside. The idea of keeping source code around and accessible at any given moment is fairly new, because back in the day there wasn't space to store that data. Why would you need the source code when you're already moving on to completely new engines and concepts?

Gamers see these things as important to preserve. Businesses see them as taking up space.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Willo567 posted:

Me too, especially if it's the games Namco never ports. That's why I was really excited when they announced that they were adding the Namco games to Arcade Archives

I wish they’d go on sale more often. I’d buy a ton of them if they weren’t 8 bucks each.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Source codes just being lost to time is incredibly common for older games. Still happens to this day. Reason Pinnacle Station wasn't included in Mass Effect Legendary Edition (not that anyone was too tore up about it) was because the only source code Demiurge had to give Bioware for it was apparently hilariously corrupted.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Willo567 posted:

If they got stored at all.

Kurui Reiten posted:

Well, yeah. You have to remember, until relatively recently these companies didn't see preserving these things as important. Video games are a commodity designed to be played and then set aside. The idea of keeping source code around and accessible at any given moment is fairly new, because back in the day there wasn't space to store that data. Why would you need the source code when you're already moving on to completely new engines and concepts?

Gamers see these things as important to preserve. Businesses see them as taking up space.
:hmmyes:

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Kurui Reiten posted:

The same thing happened for early to mid 20th century movies and tv shows. "We aren't making money from this old poo poo, just chuck it in the trash!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the answers to "how are the development assets for retro games preserved" were mostly covered: nothing, tapes, random floppies in some developer's shoe box in their closet

iirc taito infamously lost the source to bubble bobble, one of their most important games

ask yourself: when's the last time you took a backup of your important files? probably a good while. now imagine that in a company that's probably under crunch to develop some new garbage on systems that had less processing power than a modern toaster

ponzicar posted:

The same thing happened for early to mid 20th century movies and tv shows. "We aren't making money from this old poo poo, just chuck it in the trash!"

"nobody will want this, and even if they did, we don't want them to have it"