Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

A lot of the new sailing MFDs are touchscreen only as well now which guess how useful that is when you are being thrown around, at a 30 degree angle and completely soaked

There are some with buttons still, they just cost a lot more.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Also lol

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6515431

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Heehee Chancery court

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

quote:

Twitter says it will sue Elon Musk after he sends letter seeking to end $44B acquisition deal

Wow, no one saw that coming!

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Alctel posted:

A lot of the new sailing MFDs are touchscreen only as well now which guess how useful that is when you are being thrown around, at a 30 degree angle and completely soaked

There are some with buttons still, they just cost a lot more.

Less of an extreme environment, but most new oven ranges are touch screen controlled (and the lower end ones are lovely little phone-sized screens, at that.)
You have to go for a premium brand if you want separate control buttons and not have to navigate a multi-modal UI to set an oven timer.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

this reminds me of WatchDogs UNDERSCORE 1 and how the protags anti-face ID lego pixel cover would instantly ID him.

Interacting with info/data in anyway is itself a piece of evidence, so censoring, deleting, etc is not the ultimate solution.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Yet another thing they could do to protect actually vulnerable people yet only offer to conservative shitheels

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Jaxyon posted:

Yet another thing they could do to protect actually vulnerable people yet only offer to conservative shitheels

How would it protect anyone?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Jaxyon posted:

In some countries the government is not in the pocket of the tech giants and Google is required to do it for anybody who asks.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

Jaxyon posted:

Google Maps Street View --> Report a problem --> Request blurring :confused:

Former neighbor blurred their house off of Google Maps.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Owling Howl posted:

How would it protect anyone?

Hypothetically, it's now more difficult to remotely case a property to plan an attack. Any future modifications to the property will not be known by anyone using historic imagery to plan an attack.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah its very easy to get your house blurred, its not like a special privilege. anyone can request a photo on street view to be blurred or deleted

https://mashable.com/article/how-to-blur-your-house-on-google-street-view

i spend a shitload of time poking around on google streets and its rare but not extraordinary for random homes to be blurred

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Is it even possible to buy a dumb car these days?

The passenger versions of models primarily meant for the commercial market are reasonably dumb. Ford Transit, Mercedes Metris, etc.

I have a 2016 Metris. Backup camera, no touchscreen, no drive assist except for regular cruise control.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I'm going to go against the grain here and say that active cruise control on my Toyota is awesome. Maintaining speed/safe following distance is a very rote task that still takes up a lot of attention. The active cruise lets me use my human brain to focus on the stuff only it can do, like sensing if a nearby driver is squirrely or if someone is going to pull out in front of me, without having to glance down at the speedometer a lot.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Active cruise control and speed / distance maintaining are wonderful, but as soon as the car starts steering itself is where I draw the line.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

[ERR] LINE DETECTION EQ NULL - "No line detected. Autopilot disabled. Please take control of vehicle now."
[ALM] OBJECT IN PATH - "Object in path ahead. COLLISION IMMINENT!"

Not a single accident while Autopilot has been active.TM

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Active cruise control and speed / distance maintaining are wonderful, but as soon as the car starts steering itself is where I draw the line.

Yeah, there's lots of good uses for intelligent assists in cars (cruise control, blindspot sensors, etc.) but we'd rather spend millions on self-driving rather than focus on the easier problems that would make every car on the road safer

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jaxyon posted:

Tuxedo Gin posted:

In some countries the government is not in the pocket of the tech giants and Google is required to do it for anybody who asks.

CheshireCat posted:

Google Maps Street View --> Report a problem --> Request blurring :confused:

Former neighbor blurred their house off of Google Maps.

Lmao

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

LOL I didn't know that existed, I'm just used to tech companies leaning towards policies that protect bigots over protecting vulnerable people.

But I was wrong on this one!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I am baffled as to how YouTube algorithms work. I have my history/tracking thing turned off but it still kind of seems to know that I like certain music or comedy. And then I get weird poo poo like "Top 10 mistakes people make when replacing an electrical outlet" or some Tucker Carlson poo poo in my recommends and have no clue how those rise to the surface.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/SylviaVarnham/status/1546636696359419907

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

I am baffled as to how YouTube algorithms work. I have my history/tracking thing turned off but it still kind of seems to know that I like certain music or comedy. And then I get weird poo poo like "Top 10 mistakes people make when replacing an electrical outlet" or some Tucker Carlson poo poo in my recommends and have no clue how those rise to the surface.

Nobody knows how it works. People talk about the algorithm the way ancient people spoke about their gods. “A Ben Shapiro video autoplayed for me. What have I done to anger you, YouTube Algorithm?”

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm getting constaant ads for Ben Shapino and his what is a woman bullshit

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

If you accidentally move your mouse over a thumbnail and begin the autoplay preview, that counts as a watched video. This can lead to a bizarre recommendation spiral as you accidentally mouse-over increasingly irrelevant video recommendations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Not just about the probability that you'll watch a video, but they're probably still doing the dumb meta algorithm where they want you to watch videos that they think will get you to keep watching more videos and so they show you links to videos that might lead you down a rabbit hole of becoming an insane right wing freak

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
YouTube wants you to be a fascist because fascists watch YouTube videos all day every day.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I never get fash YouTube recommendations. My secret? A strict video diet of such boring nerd poo poo that there’s no possible inroads. It’s all sudoku, videogame speedruns, Lego builds and city planning for me :cool:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Yeah I don't get any of that poo poo on my feed. It just feeds you more of what you already watch.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BiggerBoat posted:

Google apps scan activity/keywords from your other apps, with the only exception being the Apple's recent system-level privacy option of not allowing apps to track by default.
Also you should be ruthlessly pruning your Recommended tab by telling it not to recommend channels you never want to see again

As always, the best curation is self-curation

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 12, 2022

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

BiggerBoat posted:

If you're still living in Florida you're still getting those location based recommendations too.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

TACD posted:

I never get fash YouTube recommendations. My secret? A strict video diet of such boring nerd poo poo that there’s no possible inroads. It’s all sudoku, videogame speedruns, Lego builds and city planning for me :cool:

Videogame speedruns and city planning might eventually lead you there.

If you start watching comic book discussions you're done for.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

city planning is corellated with transit planning which is corellated with train scheduling which is corellated with fascism.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Philman posted:

city planning is corellated with transit planning which is corellated with train scheduling which is corellated with fascism.

Also it goes with engineering with goes with engineers, which goes with libertarians who generally are a step from fascism.

vvvvv That channel is really good but I still got "What is a woman" ads because I'm a nerd who watches breakdowns of Disney+ series.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 12, 2022

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Just gotta watch enough Not Just Bikes to counterbalance

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I never get fashy reccs, but it goes through weird cycles. used to be all game grumps best ofs, then Reddit TTS narration poo poo, now it's all Impractical Jokers poo poo.

Really telling on myself there, ain't I?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
All I've been getting is smooth 70s/80s Japanese Jazz.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

All I've been getting is smooth 70s/80s Japanese Jazz.

Same. Not really my thing but Flying Beagle is a cute album idea at least.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Arivia posted:

Same. Not really my thing but Flying Beagle is a cute album idea at least.

I did get a kick out of how the cover looked like my beagle at least :3:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Uh... yeah, that's one I got recently... :tinfoil: