Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPColin posted:

I have vivid memories from my childhood of Wheel contestants participating in a bonus round where they spent their winnings on things like a new ugly lamp for their living room.

Those were the prizes for early seasons of Wheel, you didn't get cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's going to be old episodes. Probably really old. Pluto already has a channel like that for The Price Is Right if you want to watch Bob Barker be a perv.

knowing how pluto operates the number of episodes is probably gonna be really limited

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Iron Crowned posted:

Those were the prizes for early seasons of Wheel, you didn't get cash.

Ceramic dalmatians everywhere

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

haveblue posted:

I think it would have been rejected- Genesis 19 is primarily about Sodom, Gomorrah only comes up as part of the phrase "Sodom and Gomorrah"

I don't really see how they couldn't have accepted it though. How can you say that an asteroid strike 3000 years ago inspired the story of the destruction of Sodom but definitely not the destruction of Gomorrah despite it happening in an identical manner in the same Bible chapter?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

mennoknight posted:

Ceramic dalmatians everywhere

To the point where it was a joke on Rugrats even.

Fun fact: That's actually Alex doing the voice for the host, named Alan Quebec.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I'm torn because I don't like religious questions but on the other hand they implied that the bible just misinterpreted a natural event.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BaronVonVaderham posted:

To the point where it was a joke on Rugrats even.

Fun fact: That's actually Alex doing the voice for the host, named Alan Quebec.

and deedee's opponent was charles nelson motherfuckin reilly.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o_n79BlQGA

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

CPColin posted:

I have vivid memories from my childhood of Wheel contestants participating in a bonus round where they spent their winnings on things like a new ugly lamp for their living room.

I remember seeing a Sony Betamax/TV/entertainment center as a prize way back. It was $2250 (over $12,000 today).

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Fuckin lol

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

drat Aleithias voice was beautiful.
:swoon:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I’m so mad at how she corrected his pronunciation of “petit fours” and was also wrong lmao

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I wonder if they would have accepted "hoes before bros" for "sisters before misters"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

CPColin posted:

I wonder if they would have accepted "hoes before bros" for "sisters before misters"

I don’t think it technically fits since the clue says the sibling like relationship is the one being prioritized

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
So studio audiences are coming back to Jeopardy for next season. To be honest I haven't really missed them.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's going to be old episodes. Probably really old. Pluto already has a channel like that for The Price Is Right if you want to watch Bob Barker be a perv.

Please oh please oh please would somebody slip in the Barbara Lowe episodes. They've been built up so tremendously in legend - and as something that shall never see the light of day again - that they have to not be worth the hype. But I'd so love to be disappointed if it meant more than that single clip surfaced.

One of the few highlights of 2020 was the classic Jeopardy episodes that aired. It was fun to see the original Forrest Bounce, even with it being really tame compared to its current use. I also love the 1980s Jeopardy theme which had some power behind it.

CPColin posted:

Similarly, I played a lot of Wheel on C64 as a child and you had to pick the bonus prize you were playing for: car, boat or vacation. You always picked vacation, because it was valued the highest and why the hell else would you play for the least expensive thing?

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

1glitch0 posted:

So studio audiences are coming back to Jeopardy for next season. To be honest I haven't really missed them.

Have they been faking the applause and everything for the last couple years? I hadn't even registered that

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

I look forward to categories like "Indians on Film" and all the answers being white dudes.

But that’s the answers for all their questions !

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I wish they would bring back that classic Jeopardy board fill. Seems so sterile now.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Have they been faking the applause and everything for the last couple years? I hadn't even registered that
Yeah, every time Mr. Hookshot goes "why are people laughing at Mayim's unfunny jokes?" I have to remind him that it's actually the job of some poor intern to add that in post.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Vintersorg posted:

I wish they would bring back that classic Jeopardy board fill. Seems so sterile now.

Hell yeah. The modern board fill sounds like a lovely default ringtone.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I also love the 1980s Jeopardy theme which had some power behind it.

Vintersorg posted:

Hell yes to both of these. The powerful 80s theme with the contestants walking out in full 80s garb with the biggest shoulder pads imaginable while being introduced was a drat mood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78WuN-FTQw8

(no shoulder pads pictured)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So much energy in that clip! And fast! Was that edited? Also "an energy demonstrator"? :lol:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That's the best version of the theme but it cuts out right as it gets going there.

No clue why they changed the board fill it sucks so bad.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

If you're in second place going into Final Jeopardy and the leader has exactly double your money, the only acceptable wager is all of your money. You know the only chance you have to win is getting the right answer while your opponent gets it wrong, and the only way to guarantee that gives you the game is to bet everything. Second place guy today should have won today, but he made a very, very unfortunate mistake with his wager.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I know most people don't like it when you call a celebrity by one of their character's name, but Bialik has really been channeling Amy Farrah Fowler lately.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Steve Miller Band singer

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Mister Kingdom posted:

I know most people don't like it when you call a celebrity by one of their character's name, but Bialik has really been channeling Amy Farrah Fowler lately.

I always referred to Trebek as his character from Cheers so I don't see the problem tbh

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Cognac McCarthy posted:

If you're in second place going into Final Jeopardy and the leader has exactly double your money, the only acceptable wager is all of your money. You know the only chance you have to win is getting the right answer while your opponent gets it wrong, and the only way to guarantee that gives you the game is to bet everything. Second place guy today should have won today, but he made a very, very unfortunate mistake with his wager.

some people have to play superchamps, some people get to play against the folks that cut basic math. like sands through the hourglass...

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Spokes posted:

some people have to play superchamps, some people get to play against the folks that cut basic math. like sands through the hourglass...

these are the j!s of our lives

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Mister Kingdom posted:

I think it's become increasingly apparent that she isn't channeling that character, but that she just wasn't acting and was just reading that dialogue as herself.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Tonight’s game is so loving bad.

“Name a king of Ithaca” *triple stumper*

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
What the fuuuuuuuuuck kind of betting was that????

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Bialik has been so inconsistent in if contestants can correct themselves and how much time they get to try to do so. I swear she made an audible sigh on a non-specific answer that the contestant then got more specific on.

I didn't even pay attention to his betting because I fully expected dude to do the logical thing and bet it all. Also, why isn't the champ going all Arthur Chu on his bet to ensure he gets to play another day?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Also, why isn't the champ going all Arthur Chu on his bet to ensure he gets to play another day?

After Arthur they changed the rule so there’s a tiebreaker question now.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Watching now and if I have to hear her over-enunciate the 'g' in the word 'singer' one more loving time... I don't know why but it's like sandpaper on my eardrums.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

Steve Miller Band singer
“Jungle Love” by Steve Winwood and The Time

I guess those guys never saw “jay and silent bob strike back”

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Bialik has been so inconsistent in if contestants can correct themselves and how much time they get to try to do so. I swear she made an audible sigh on a non-specific answer that the contestant then got more specific on.

She sighs, laughs, or embellishes. Sometimes she waits for the judges. Sometimes she doesn't.
Bring Ken Jennings back, for the love of Thoth.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Watching now and if I have to hear her over-enunciate the 'g' in the word 'singer' one more loving time... I don't know why but it's like sandpaper on my eardrums.

Haha I caught that G in my ears too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

HookShot posted:

After Arthur they changed the rule so there’s a tiebreaker question now.

It makes a kind of fascinating problem since the tiebreaker is just straight luck/reflexes anytime I've seen it, so if you think that you know the category you should probably just bet. But how awful would you feel betting a dollar and losing on the final when you could have just forced a tie.