Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

nwin posted:

So for my basement door, here’s what I’m looking at:

On each side of the concrete stairs, there were 2x4’s installed. The measurement from edge to edge is 40” and the height to the top
Is 83” (from the top of the bottom step). On the top of it is a 2x6 but it doesn’t meet up perfectly with the 2x4 on the side. Here’s a picture on the upper right of the opening:

So…what are my options for getting a door in here? My first thought was a pre hung steel exterior door with a left hand inswing like this, in 36x80:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/36-in-x-80-in-Flush-Primed-Steel-Prehung-Left-Hand-Inswing-Front-Door-710584/202036367

But the actual unit size is 37 7/16” x 81 3/4”. If I’m reading correctly, that means I have a space on the sides of 2 9/16” and about 1 1/4” on the top. I’m not sure how I’d fill those voids to get the door in there.

It’d be great if I could find something that would just need me to slap a 2x4 on the top and maybe a 2x6 on the bottom, but I dunno if that would even work. I’m also concerned with how the sides are partially concrete and then wood.

In reality, it doesn’t need to look great and just provide effective insulation vice a bilco door. The bilco door will rarely be used except when I need to eventually get some large items out of it.

Any ideas or suggestions? All the holes I see in the wood makes me think they had something in there previously.

Go watch some youtube videos on how to hang doors. It should make sense what to do almost immediately. you never fit the door tightly in to the opening, you get the opening close and then use shims to fit it and trim to cover the gap.

I'd try to attach to the wood, building it out as needed. It is possible to screw in to concrete though, you just drill out large holes with a hammer drill and then install anchors either with epoxy or ones that wedge in when you install the screw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003

Sundae posted:

Is this company in the bay area, by any chance? I'm looking for someone to do windows on a three-floor condo (lovely builder-grade stuff that don't open in a way that can be cleaned from the inside), and even double that would beat my best quote so far. :(

Sorry, Seattle.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
Shed I inherited when I bought my house has rotting wood on the side.

inner view:

Side view:

Wood where the paint is peeling off is soft. It's just one big piece of wood on the side. Can I just put a new board over the bad part and call it good or am I better off just replacing the whole thing? Not sure how important the board is structurally, if I could just pull it off and stick a new one in or I'd need something to hold it up in between.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Rip it off and replace with treated ply imo. What’s on there doesn’t look like it is. We’d need more pictures of the interior framing but I doubt it is structural.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would zip out the water damaged part + 6" extra on all sides with a scroll saw, then go down to home Depot and buy one of those 2x2' plywood pieces, use it old part as a pattern, caulk it in place and paint. It's a super cheap shed don't put more than $30 into it

Edit: actually looks like you have water damage coming in from the top of the piece of plywood and it's soaking through, probably through a void in an internal ply

The whole piece of wood is probably hosed

I would paint over it and ignore it until it really starts falling apart, then replace it with a new $600 shed

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 12, 2022

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Is scheduled pest control worth it? I just moved in a couple of days ago and I already have a couple of salespeople asking me if I am interested. This particular one is Saela, first I heard of them. I had used one in southern Indiana out of obligation but now I'm seriously wondering.

That said, I see wasps outside my garage right now so maybe?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

DTaeKim posted:

Is scheduled pest control worth it? I just moved in a couple of days ago and I already have a couple of salespeople asking me if I am interested. This particular one is Saela, first I heard of them. I had used one in southern Indiana out of obligation but now I'm seriously wondering.

Unless you're allergic, wasps are really not an issue. If you yell at them or get excited they seem to sense it, but if you're cool they're cool. We had yellow jackets over our deck and the great big blue-black ones above the kitchen door that we used all the time and they really aren't as aggressive as people make them out to be. The yellow jackets were really docile and just walked on my skin no problem, the black ones were uninterested in general.

They'll likely abandon the nest when they're done rearing the current batch, and leaving it up can deter others from moving in.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Wasps are fuckin evil shits and should be killed on sight :mad:

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Don't poison your own property if you don't have to

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Johnny Truant posted:

Wasps are fuckin evil shits and should be killed on sight :mad:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Epitope posted:

Counterpoint: homeowner has wasps and therefore has to :colbert:

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Similar vain we’ve had pantry moths by the dozen appear every day in an area of the house that has no food. They are super easy to squish and fly traps seem to catch a lot of them but I’ve probably killed about a hundred of them over the past couple weeks. I am chalking it up to the previous owner since the house was in a bad way for awhile but they are annoying. All our dry food is now locked away in air tight containers and hopefully once I start finishing that area of the house they die off.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DTaeKim posted:

It depends entirely on where you live. Some places have termite issues and you need to protect your home, you may have kids that play in the yard and be on a woodland interface and need to protect against ticks that can carry lyme disease, etc.

Don't use companies that are aggressively marketing. Ask around and find a good local company. This isn't an emergency - take your time.

Epitope posted:

And don't listen to ill-conceived low-information hot takes like this either.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

My old place I would have the yard sprayed for mosquitos and ticks as otherwise it was unusable. Was about $600 for twice monthly treatments from April to October. If I was having issues in between treatments they would come out again no charge.

Current place I have the edge of the house sprayed monthly for $70 and had subterranean termite treatment done for $900 that is warranted for 3 years.

It isn’t poisoning your home for no reason it is just preventative maintenance.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Did I hurt your feelings or something? You're siding with sales people cold calling. Home owner reports no issue beyond seeing wasps

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

devmd01 posted:

Rip it off and replace with treated ply imo. What’s on there doesn’t look like it is. We’d need more pictures of the interior framing but I doubt it is structural.

Hadlock posted:

I would zip out the water damaged part + 6" extra on all sides with a scroll saw, then go down to home Depot and buy one of those 2x2' plywood pieces, use it old part as a pattern, caulk it in place and paint. It's a super cheap shed don't put more than $30 into it

Edit: actually looks like you have water damage coming in from the top of the piece of plywood and it's soaking through, probably through a void in an internal ply

The whole piece of wood is probably hosed

I would paint over it and ignore it until it really starts falling apart, then replace it with a new $600 shed

The more I look at it, I agree that the whole piece of wood has to be replaced. The rest of the wood seems to be in good enough condition, that I could get by with just replacing the one side piece and adding a fresh coat of paint to protect the rest. It is definitely a cheap lovely shed, but it is functional enough that I'd rather kick the can down further than just repainting the one bad piece of wood would do. Thanks for the advice.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

To be fair, I gave no other specifics aside from seeing wasps. Mosquitos will likely to be an issue. I'll do my research.

In other news, our pilot light has gone out daily. We are always able to turn the pilot light back on, but we would obviously like our warm showers in the morning. My wife wants me to call a plumber but Google says it may be a home repair. What's the solution?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Epitope posted:

Did I hurt your feelings or something? You're siding with sales people cold calling. Home owner reports no issue beyond seeing wasps

Nah there's just a big terminally online overly dramatic anti-pesticide contingent. Their interpretation of science is often a baseless overreaction or straight-up misinformation, similar with anti-GMO or strongly pro-organic produce people.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

DTaeKim posted:

In other news, our pilot light has gone out daily. We are always able to turn the pilot light back on, but we would obviously like our warm showers in the morning. My wife wants me to call a plumber but Google says it may be a home repair. What's the solution?

Sounds like a bad thermocouple. Luckily, thermocouples are like $8 (maybe more with inflation) and not terribly difficult to swap. Just find your water heater model and look up corresponding how-to repair videos/instruction manuals. (goes without saying, but turn the gas off while performing this repair and bubble test for leaks before firing it back up)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

It depends entirely on where you live. Some places have termite issues and you need to protect your home, you may have kids that play in the yard and be on a woodland interface and need to protect against ticks that can carry lyme disease, etc.

Don't use companies that are aggressively marketing. Ask around and find a good local company. This isn't an emergency - take your time.

I mean, you shouldn't lay down poison without good reason. You're both right.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Queen Victorian posted:

Sounds like a bad thermocouple. Luckily, thermocouples are like $8 (maybe more with inflation) and not terribly difficult to swap. Just find your water heater model and look up corresponding how-to repair videos/instruction manuals. (goes without saying, but turn the gas off while performing this repair and bubble test for leaks before firing it back up)

I had a pilot light that wouldn't stay lit, and the plumber we called relit it, and it stayed lit while we chatted for a few minutes (and as a preface, I trust him quite a bit) and he was like "well this isn't a normal failure mode, and there's not much to service on a gas water heater, I can replace the thermocouple, replace the gas valve if I can find one, or just replace the whole water heater" and thankfully while we were talking the pilot went out again and he was like "yeah ok it's the thermocouple." He also suggested that maybe the pilot light just blew out and I was like, yeah it's possible but we've lived here for 7 years with it never going out, and now it's started going out multiple times a day so I don't think it's unlucky wind coming down the chimney or something.

If we hadn't had a bunch of other stuff going on that week I would have tried it myself, as it shouldn't be too difficult or expensive to DIY. But if you do call a plumber, be prepared for them to sort of... not believe you.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

gently caress wasps. loving kill them all

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I mean yeah I wouldn’t lay down poison on my property if I didn’t have a bug problem. That poo poo’s expensive.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

A scorpion breached our perimeter and my wife is ready to violate geneva conventions.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Infinotize posted:

gently caress wasps. loving kill them all

:hai:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I live in New Jersey, in a swamp that was drained in the 1920s, less than a mile from the Delaware River. I have creeks & (wet) swamps all around me. The mosquitos are heinious, and I've thought about having the yard sprayed, but I really can't see what good it would do unless they laid down DDT with aircraft.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Apparently if you start spraying early on in the season, you can keep them at bay? Assuming mosquitoes can't fly more than 30' which I'm pretty sure they can. It's been raining and humid all week and I basically can't go outside anymore

At least in Texas when it's bloody hot out it's too dry for mosquitoes to survive and you can do things

I've been putting off greasing my nipples because I'd have to go into the garage for more than 90 seconds, and I'd need a blood transfusion afterwards right now

Maybe Florida is onto something with their ridiculous screened in back yards, despite living in hurricane alley where they're a horrible idea with the tropical storm winds

Mosquito spray apparently murders dragonflies and all sorts of other stuff, honey bees can't find their way back to the hive, which I was really sympathetic to until about two weeks ago

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Place in NH where I was spraying was on a creek so plenty of water for the fuckers to breed. They spray around the perimeter of your yard and it takes a couple of treatments since it will kill the unhatched ones which as was said messes with the breeding cycle and soon there are none making it to your yard. Same for ticks. It worked well but wasn’t 100%.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I bought a pair of these as an experiment. Basically it's a empty mason jar filled halfway with tap water, with these tea bag looking things of extremely slow acting poison, slow enough the mosquitoes will lay their eggs in there, but fast enough they kill wherever before it gets to the blood sucking stage.

I guess the military uses them profusely, strangely not popular in the residential market

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09F8858JY

$20 each seems insanely pricey, I'd much rather get a 48 pack of the tea bags and two cases of mason jars for $100

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

I live in New Jersey, in a swamp that was drained in the 1920s, less than a mile from the Delaware River. I have creeks & (wet) swamps all around me. The mosquitos are heinious, and I've thought about having the yard sprayed, but I really can't see what good it would do unless they laid down DDT with aircraft.

This garlic based spray works on the mosquitoes near us: https://www.mosquitobarrier.com/ If you don't have actual standing water it may be all you need. I put it in the spray cart and do the entire back yard with it a couple times a summer.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

What’s a reasonable price per square foot to remove old batting insulation and install new R38 in an attic and R30 in crawl space? I got quoted at 1.75 for cleaning/removing, 1.75 for attic, and 2.00 for crawl space, plus 0.75 for a 12 mil vapor barrier.

They also have an optional duct cleaning/sealing/reinsulating package for $1,800.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

$5 and change seems a good price

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Holy poo poo that garlic stuff actually works? Ok. Seemed like a great big scam/snake oil

Do you need to spray the under side of the leaves or does that matter

I had a 1 gallon manual pressure sprayer and a concentrated bottle of this stuff in my cart but decided against it

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

A friend bought the global warming 9000 mosquito murderer:

https://www.mosquitomagnet.com/mosquito-magnet-patriot-plus-mosquito-trap-mm4200b

He's been having a problem with no-see-ums and now it's filled with tiny specs of desiccated bugs.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

A friend bought the global warming 9000 mosquito murderer:

https://www.mosquitomagnet.com/mosquito-magnet-patriot-plus-mosquito-trap-mm4200b

He's been having a problem with no-see-ums and now it's filled with tiny specs of desiccated bugs.

I saw a unit similar to that on an old episode of Ask This Old House and was curious how well they actually worked. We don't have enough mosquitoes here to make it worthwhile, but my in-laws could potentially use one.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

I saw a unit similar to that on an old episode of Ask This Old House and was curious how well they actually worked. We don't have enough mosquitoes here to make it worthwhile, but my in-laws could potentially use one.

He's been running it a week and says it seems better but wants to go a few breeding cycles before knowing if it's truly working. I will try to report back.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Holy poo poo that garlic stuff actually works? Ok. Seemed like a great big scam/snake oil

Do you need to spray the under side of the leaves or does that matter

I had a 1 gallon manual pressure sprayer and a concentrated bottle of this stuff in my cart but decided against it

It does not work on all varieties of mosquitos. I'm not sure what you mean by spraying the undersides of leaves - it's s scent thing. I apply it to my grass with a spray cart and with booms like how they spray farm crops because it's being sprayed over an acre or so. Spray it however makes sense for the area you need to cover.

It's possible it works for me because it's being sprayed over such a large area and may not work if you're trying to do something like just spray the perimeter of your deck.

Enos Cabell posted:

You will find this very same style unit hidden amongst the grounds of any fancy resort in the caribbean you may be at. They work.

The problem is that they also need maintenance. They get clogged and stop firing, and when you have only one most people notice this when they start getting eaten alive again and now need to fix their thing and wait another breeding cycle or two to get things back under control.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I am on a 5000sq ft city lot with four adjacent lots inside of 0.5 acres + at least 6 trees (not on my lot) 40' high I could hit with a rock. I can spray my yard but don't have much control over the rest of the area

Worth a shot though, mosquitoes here are brutal, even with a bug zapper on a nightly timer and liberal bug spray application of DDT. Going outside means a minimum of two bites within 30 seconds right now

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

re: wasps, before you go nuclear with hosing down your property with wasp poison (which maybe also kills bees, or just affects them, plus other pollinators, we're really loving up our beneficial insects everywhere these days) just try hanging up a few wasp traps here and there. At our house it mostly keeps them at bay, and we get the rest of the job done by knocking down any nests we find.

Also poison is completely unnecessary if you have direct line of sight on any insect, you can kill them all with soapy water. The soap acts as a surfactant so the water invades their pores and they suffocate. Poison is for killing bugs that are vaguely "around" but not actually present, e.g. termites, ants, poo poo that burrows around underground somewhere.

Re: mosquitos, definitely check your city or county for a mosquito abatement program, they may be able to help out for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
My county has a program to give out fish that eat mosquito larvae so you can release them in ponds if you're around one. Not sure if that's done elsewhere but I always thought it was cool.