Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Sydin posted:

California currently has a $97B surplus, of which Newsom says $49B is "immediately available" for use.

So we could, in theory, stamp out four Gen III reactors and add 4-5 GW of 24/7 green energy to the grid, and still be firmly in the black both in terms of total and immediately available state funds. We are not going to do this, but we could.
this is why headlines about Gavin Newsom giving out $500 gas vouchers or whatever make me so mad

you have the money, please use it for something forward-thinking rather than giving it back so people can drive around in circles looking for parking longer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
How much would CalCare cost to implement again? Haha

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
The state and local budgets in California are constrained by an archaic constitutional measure that voters approved in 1979 called the Gann Limit. The Gann Limit established a threshold that requires the state to spend half of its surplus on education and the other half on tax relief, after it reaches a certain threshold. Along with Prop 13, it's another way that conservatives have kneecapped the state from investing its revenue in meaningful social programs.

California also has a moratorium on constructing new nuclear plants in the state, but I'm pretty sure this could be changed via new legislation. This was a result of pushback from Nixon's commitment in 1973 to construct 1,000 nuclear power plants by the year 2000. Imagine if this actually succeeded...

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Bodhidharma posted:

The Gann Limit established a threshold that requires the state to spend half of its surplus on education and the other half on tax relief, after it reaches a certain threshold.
yikes, TIL. or perhaps re-learned

it's so wacky that California is sitting here in the 12th year of a democratic trifecta and we still can't get meaningful things done. feels like the state is covered in glue

Sivart13 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 5, 2022

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
Money makes the world stop

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

Sivart13 posted:

likes, TIL. or perhaps re-learned

it's so wacky that California is sitting here in the 12th year of a democratic trifecta and we still can't get meaningful things done. feels like the state is covered in glue

Here's a good article about the Gann Limit and the problems that it will exacerbate in future years if you're interested in reading more. In short, voters probably shouldn't dictate fiscal policy on such a large scale and enshrine it in the constitution.

https://prospect.org/economy/california-has-too-much-money-in-its-budget/

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sivart13 posted:

it's almost like they benefit from these measures and so don't care

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Sivart13 posted:

https://twitter.com/AlanRMacLeod/status/1521780735430078465

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.
We'll see if they can deliver, but, if they can, this is an unequivocal Good Thing (tm).

https://twitter.com/GavinNewsom/status/1545122879649374209

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You'll get it at the end of the fiscal year, in a big shipment containing exactly enough* insulin for the next year, and also only if you're a disabled war vet single mother.

*As determined by a bean counter, so, like, probably a quarter of what you need

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Larry Parrish posted:

You'll get it at the end of the fiscal year, in a big shipment containing exactly enough* insulin for the next year, and also only if you're a disabled war vet single mother.

Instead, you can only get it at a participating pharmacy in California, and there's only five.**

** Comedy option: They're all located in Bakersfield.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Larry Parrish posted:

You'll get a tax credit and a coupon for a free casket when you drop dead from lack of insulin.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

confused posted:

We'll see if they can deliver, but, if they can, this is an unequivocal Good Thing (tm).

https://twitter.com/GavinNewsom/status/1545122879649374209

Why the gently caress would anything good ever happen?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I guess we at least know the state can somewhat handle the cold chain since they're doing it with the covid vaccine

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
isn't that mostly private companies and then the feds paying for it

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Its probably gonna save Medi-Cal a shitload of money

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Oh, I guess thats probable. State and local health departments still have been an endpoint though. Hopefully theres some useful experience that has come out of it since insulin is temperature sensitive

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Why the gently caress would anything good ever happen?

It's pretty bleak times. I've got to find hope somewhere.

Even then, if they do what they say they are going to do, spend $50m on R&D and $50m on building a pilot production facility and reach the point where they show that mass production is achievable at a cost that is below market levels, that is huge. They'd probably have to put in another $100-200m to reach scale, but once that happens, everyone would benefit. Then when you show it works the first time, there is no reason you couldn't do any drug you can name with a similar program.

Obviously, it doesn't preclude the need for a single payer healthcare system. However, it's something that would benefit a single payer system just as much.

EDIT: IMHO, it paves the ground towards single payer, politically. It could show that the government can take a direct role in healthcare without it being the end of the world.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Just got a political keep Florida free ad for desantis on the youtubes when I'm definitely still in California and using a CA IP address. Is the idea that Biden quits or dies, Kamala is awful, so Newsom steps in and battles desantis? Local boy makes good.

Who replaces Newsom?

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

The bear plz

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

droll posted:

Just got a political keep Florida free ad for desantis on the youtubes when I'm definitely still in California and using a CA IP address. Is the idea that Biden quits or dies, Kamala is awful, so Newsom steps in and battles desantis? Local boy makes good.

Who replaces Newsom?

*sigh* I guess I'll do it.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

The Aardvark posted:

The bear plz

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

The Aardvark posted:

The bear plz

:emptyquote:

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

droll posted:

Who replaces Newsom?

Gray Davis

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

if we're going down this route we might as well bring back jerry brown again

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Alex Villenueva

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
Don’t we have several unpopular former LA mayors we can dragoon into the job?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

droll posted:

Who replaces Newsom?

Rob BontaLondon Breed

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

MickeyFinn posted:

Don’t we have several unpopular former LA mayors we can dragoon into the job?

Garcetti is tanned, ready

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Kenning posted:

Alex Villenueva

gently caress that Nazi

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

droll posted:

Who replaces Newsom?

After expiring, Pelosi's and Feinstein's staffs run a joint ticket and take turns having their corpses wheeled out on a dolly for press conferences.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Storms a brewing Cali braaaahs. It's gonna be a narly swell

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Rich douche orders a Batmobile replica, but misses a $20k payment and stops calling the maker for 8 months.
Batmobile maker sells the done one to someone else and puts him in the queue.
A now angry rich douche calls his friend the San Mateo Sheriff and gets him to go to Indiana to raid his garage and get the car.

"Your public money paid for the trip last week by the sheriff's investigators - four round-trip plane tickets, three nights of hotels, meals, rental cars, and a lot of overtime."

Completely out of his jurisdiction, but what does that matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiM1At3O53E

https://abc7news.com/batmobile-raid-indiana-san-mateo-county-sheriff-carlos-bolanos-fiberglass-freaks-of-logansport-factory-raided/12083955/

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like the detail where everyone interviewed except for the DA and the dipshit slumlord are completely bewildered and blindsided that this even happened. Sometimes I wish I had cop brain, the absolute confidence in myself to do poo poo like this lol. I would love to know what happened at that Indiana jail when four sheriff's deputies from 2000 miles away show up with some random rear end in a top hat, probably with little to no advance warning, yelling about how he needs to be detained. I know cops love to cover for each other but good god, where does it end?

Also, like, not a chance they had a real warrant, right? It had to be one of those 'administrative warrant' things that says warrant on it but is actually the legal equivalent of the cops asking pretty please.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Larry Parrish posted:

I like the detail where everyone interviewed except for the DA and the dipshit slumlord are completely bewildered and blindsided that this even happened. Sometimes I wish I had cop brain, the absolute confidence in myself to do poo poo like this lol. I would love to know what happened at that Indiana jail when four sheriff's deputies from 2000 miles away show up with some random rear end in a top hat, probably with little to no advance warning, yelling about how he needs to be detained. I know cops love to cover for each other but good god, where does it end?

Also, like, not a chance they had a real warrant, right? It had to be one of those 'administrative warrant' things that says warrant on it but is actually the legal equivalent of the cops asking pretty please.

Why would it end? What consequences would they even see? They're going to get 2 weeks PTO as "punishment".

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
California status: ennnnnhhhhh it's too sticky

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

It's been so loving muggy for like 2 months.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All the smoke lol. It's all high atmosphere so the whole state has an inversion layer. And around here at least it keeps causing rain seeding and the humidity just slowly climbs.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I've been so drat cranky the last few days and I'm sure that has something to do with it.

Also the dog having the runs on the carpet, the other dog's skin problems and trouble with the water pipe but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I've been joking with my family in Illinois that this might be the first time that my summer is more humid than theirs, lol.

It's definitely been weird to throw open the windows after dark and not actually cool my room down much at all, flashbacks to my childhood in the midwest.