Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Cimber posted:

I just told my wife, a pretty liberal woman but doesn't pay attention to politics, about the Sidney Powell thing.

She said "Nothing is going to happen, this is all just a waste of time and grandstanding. He's going to get off like he always does."

I...didn't have anything good to answer that with. :/

I think we can be pretty confident now that Trump will be indicted for some extremely serious felonies and the DOJ will probably take at least one good crack at a trial before 2024.

"Getting off" at this point would probably be some secret MAGA chud hanging the jury, which unfortunately is pretty likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

"We're going to attack Congress and burn it down and kill a bunch of people, but don't tell anyone because we don't want to get in trouble with the National Park Service."

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Rigel posted:

I think we can be pretty confident now that Trump will be indicted for some extremely serious felonies and the DOJ will probably take at least one good crack at a trial before 2024.

"Getting off" at this point would probably be some secret MAGA chud hanging the jury, which unfortunately is pretty likely.

"TOTALLY EXONERATED" on Truther forever and ever.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

nine-gear crow posted:

"As someone who's committed a lot of murders--not here, of course--it takes a lot of work to commit a murder. And he didn't put a lot of work into this murder."

Even if that's true, just because he wasn't planning every detail doesn't mean it wasn't planned. That "1776 Returns" document showed a lot of detail from the Proud Boys.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I can't wait till he's convicted and then Biden pardons him in the name of unity and healing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Coup for Dummies book is like 300 pages, I've had posts longer than that. So how hard could it be, really?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

back to the Sideshow Bob Defense I see

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

How did democrats kill the criminal investigations into Bush's war crimes and systemic mortgage fraud and is there anything preventing democrats from using those mechanisms again?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

I’ve couped a few countries in my time…

Edit: oh poo poo, overstock ceo who was at team crazy meeting is going to meet with J06 committee

Murgos fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 13, 2022

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Sydney Powell stole the show for me.

“I would have fired my congressionally vetted henchmen who defended me against impeachment right there on the spot for daring to contradict a serial losing lawyer who’s suggesting I exercise powers that the federal government doesn’t have and appoint her to something she would be so incompetent at it would likely end with her in jail, if I were president.”

*Slams Dr Pepper*

Alex Torres Andrew Torrez calls her the dumbest lawyer on the planet for good reason.

Edit: her plan wasn’t even to gin up a probable cause and use DoJ or secret service to seize the voting machines. It was to order the dept of defense to do it.

How the gently caress did she think that would work? Like, the base MPs from fort Bragg would just convoy over to the GA state house with a truck and say, “give us the voting machines cause the president says so.”

General Milley would have choked her out for suggesting that to him.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 13, 2022

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

President Kucinich posted:

How did democrats kill the criminal investigations into Bush's war crimes and systemic mortgage fraud and is there anything preventing democrats from using those mechanisms again?

I don't recall there ever being any criminal investigations into Bush or his associates for war crimes in the first place.

And if Congressional Democrats had any intention to protect Donald Trump from prosecution, they wouldn't be holding this whole big investigation in the first place.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

There weren't any investigations but I clearly remember during Obama's presidency his attitude during that was for us to come together and move forward.

That said, I think not prosecuting Bush and his administration was one one of worst mistakes of his presidency.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't recall there ever being any criminal investigations into Bush or his associates for war crimes in the first place.

And if Congressional Democrats had any intention to protect Donald Trump from prosecution, they wouldn't be holding this whole big investigation in the first place.

Bush et al. were so well covered that it could never have touched them.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Oh, hey, it's John Bolton!

Story time: in 2019, Trump visited South Korea as part of his NK deal/budget negotiations/big DMZ photo-op. I was part of the PAO detail covering the event, and I had a specific shot to get: get the Official Party (Pompeo, Ivanka, Bolton and Trump) meeting with the Osan Base Commander on the flight-line before they headed back on AF1. Also, some of his security detail were there trying to sell us challenge coins for $20 while we were waiting. (For those who don't know, a challenge coin is usually given out for free in recognition of a Soldier or group when there isn't enough merit for a proper award.) This was the first time in my career that I saw this in real life instead of on some tacky infomercial.

Of course, it didn't happen like that, which pissed some people off. After his speech we headed to the flight-line to meet with them, but Trump instead took MF1 up to the DMZ for his photo op. The Base Commander (Air Force 1 star general) was not briefed on this. So he's already mad at CNN rolling the footage when he gets the call that there is a motorcade approaching.

Bolton was heading back early, apparently pissed off about something that happened with Trump before he left him off the trip up north. So the General heads out to at least greet him, because gently caress it why not? Bolton gets out of his car and makes a beeline for the airplane stairs for a separate unmarked jet, barely even acknowledging the senior officer who has just wasted an hour of his time waiting on them.

(He also gave me a stinkeye, probably because of the camera)

So he comes over, shakes hands and says 'thank you for your service', then immediately heads up the stairs. Less than a minute. And about 2/3 of the way up, he trips. Faceplants the stairs in his petulant rush to fly back home because he got tossed under the bus.

After that we got word from the Presidential party at the DMZ that Trump will be making no additional stops, be meeting with no other people, and will depart as soon as he returns. Basically a 'gently caress you buddy' to the people who he planned to meet with, because he'd rather photo op and speak to a crowd than actually discuss conditions and policy.

So that's my story about John Bolton. A small man throwing a tantrum that he wasn't in the big boy club anymore, a petulant child who had to travel on a different jet because no one liked him, and who was so angry and desperate to leave that he tripped on the stairs on his way out.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mdemone posted:

Bush et al. were so well covered that it could never have touched them.

Maybe, with what’s become known since then about what was basically just made up lies about Iraqs wmds a real deal investigation would have been pretty damning.

Maybe not jail but an impeachment could have been on the table.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed that, J.A.B.C. Thanks for posting it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Murgos posted:

Sydney Powell stole the show for me.

“I would have fired my congressionally vetted henchmen who defended me against impeachment right there on the spot for daring to contradict a serial losing lawyer who’s suggesting I exercise powers that the federal government doesn’t have and appoint her to something she would be so incompetent at it would likely end with her in jail, if I were president.”

*Slams Dr Pepper*

Alex Torres calls her the dumbest lawyer on the planet for good reason.

Edit: her plan wasn’t even to gin up a probable cause and use DoJ or secret service to seize the voting machines. It was to order the dept of defense to do it.

How the gently caress did she think that would work? Like, the base MPs from fort Bragg would just convoy over to the GA state house with a truck and say, “give us the voting machines cause the president says so.”

General Milley would have choked her out for suggesting that to him.

Andrew Torrez

Alex Torres is a pitcher.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

J.A.B.C. posted:

Oh, hey, it's John Bolton!

Story time: in 2019, Trump visited South Korea as part of his NK deal/budget negotiations/big DMZ photo-op. I was part of the PAO detail covering the event, and I had a specific shot to get: get the Official Party (Pompeo, Ivanka, Bolton and Trump) meeting with the Osan Base Commander on the flight-line before they headed back on AF1. Also, some of his security detail were there trying to sell us challenge coins for $20 while we were waiting. (For those who don't know, a challenge coin is usually given out for free in recognition of a Soldier or group when there isn't enough merit for a proper award.) This was the first time in my career that I saw this in real life instead of on some tacky infomercial.

Of course, it didn't happen like that, which pissed some people off. After his speech we headed to the flight-line to meet with them, but Trump instead took MF1 up to the DMZ for his photo op. The Base Commander (Air Force 1 star general) was not briefed on this. So he's already mad at CNN rolling the footage when he gets the call that there is a motorcade approaching.

Bolton was heading back early, apparently pissed off about something that happened with Trump before he left him off the trip up north. So the General heads out to at least greet him, because gently caress it why not? Bolton gets out of his car and makes a beeline for the airplane stairs for a separate unmarked jet, barely even acknowledging the senior officer who has just wasted an hour of his time waiting on them.

(He also gave me a stinkeye, probably because of the camera)

So he comes over, shakes hands and says 'thank you for your service', then immediately heads up the stairs. Less than a minute. And about 2/3 of the way up, he trips. Faceplants the stairs in his petulant rush to fly back home because he got tossed under the bus.

After that we got word from the Presidential party at the DMZ that Trump will be making no additional stops, be meeting with no other people, and will depart as soon as he returns. Basically a 'gently caress you buddy' to the people who he planned to meet with, because he'd rather photo op and speak to a crowd than actually discuss conditions and policy.

So that's my story about John Bolton. A small man throwing a tantrum that he wasn't in the big boy club anymore, a petulant child who had to travel on a different jet because no one liked him, and who was so angry and desperate to leave that he tripped on the stairs on his way out.

well that sounds incredibly plausible for both of them. you figure at some point trumps detail would stop planning meetings that he would obviously skip without a thought

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

One of Trump's favorite hobbies was to hire the worst warmonger freaks possible, string them along thinking they'll get into a Big Ol' War where lots of foreigners get slaughtered, then back down at the last second.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

There weren't any investigations but I clearly remember during Obama's presidency his attitude during that was for us to come together and move forward.

That said, I think not prosecuting Bush and his administration was one one of worst mistakes of his presidency.

It was a real tone-setter for his presidency overall.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

Andrew Torrez

Alex Torres is a pitcher.

Lol, thanks. I effed that up.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Yinlock posted:

One of Trump's favorite hobbies was to hire the worst warmonger freaks possible, string them along thinking they'll get into a Big Ol' War where lots of foreigners get slaughtered, then back down at the last second.

These hires were all red meat for the "respectable" (rich, "business oriented") conservative class. Each of these hires got favorable press in outlets like National Review, Commentary, and other ostensibly "high brow" conservative outlets, giving their readers cover to hold their noses and vote for Trump/downballot R's. Honestly, one of Trump's smarter decisions, since he never intended to seriously consider their advice (not that he wouldn't accidentally pop off an international incident, a la Soleimani)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Bolton
Priebus
Sessions
The motherfucking Mooch

Jesus, what a rogue's gallery

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tayter Swift posted:

Bolton
Priebus
Sessions
The motherfucking Mooch

Jesus, what a rogue's gallery

The Ex-Sycophants Club

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
We never did find out who the Starfleet guy was from the previous one.

That horrible loving tie...

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Gonna paraphrase Raskin real quick.
When asked if the committee knows anything about the calls Mark Meadows made to Flynn and Stone the night beforee J6, he replied only "Our investigation is ongoing. We know more today than we knew during the impeachment trial about these connections and relationships but we hope to know a lot more in a month or two than we do today."
Coming from him, I take that to mean further hearings on TV are most definitely possible after the Sarah Matthews hearing next week.

The setup for this was one piece of Cassidy Hutchinson's testimony we saw today that I wasn't sure was new. It was this part:

Xiahou Dun posted:

"Constitutional LOOPHOLES" you say????

:allears:
So yes this was new and they had it before the last hearing, but saved it for today for a reason. That reason is most certainly a final shot to Meadows. Everyone else noped out once the EC sent the Biden results and all the court challenges to the election results were exhausted. That was when Trump fully rejected the establishment institutionalists (such as they were, anyway) and embraced the Flynn/Powell wing of the asylum. And Meadows made that pivot with Trump.

There are wheels within wheels going on and even the leaky J6 Committee still had stuff it was holding back. I can assume that was "the last bit of it" but if I did, would that really be wisdom?

Also, this is not my original thought, it was posted upthread, but I really want to blare this out in bright red light: So much for "Trump is too well-trained as a mob boss to get caught putting his own thumbprint on anything." Trump himself reached out to a witness after the Cassidy Hutchinson hearing.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 13, 2022

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dr. Faustus posted:

Gonna paraphrase Raskin real quick.
When asked if the committee knows anything about the calls Mark Meadows made to Flynn and Stone the night beforee J6, he replied only "Our investigation is ongoing. We know more today than we knew during the impeachment trial about these connections and relationships but we hope to know a lot more in a month or two than we do today."
Coming from him, I take that to mean further hearings on TV are most definitely possible after the Sarah Matthews hearing next week.

The setup for this was one piece of Cassidy Hutchinson's testimony we saw today that I wasn't sure was new. It was this part:

So yes this was new and they had it before the last hearing, but saved it for today for a reason. That reason is most certainly a final shot to Meadows. Everyone else noped out once the EC sent the Biden results and all the court challenges to the election results were exhausted. That was when Trump fully rejected the establishment institutionalists (such as they were, anyway) and embraced the Flynn/Powell wing of the asylum. And Meadows made that pivot with Trump.

There are wheels within wheels going on and even the leaky J6 Committee still had stuff it was holding back. I can assume that was "the last bit of it" but if I did, would that really be wisdom?

Also, this is not my original thought, it was posted upthread, but I really want to blare this out in bright red light: So much for "Trump is too well-trained as a mob boss to get caught putting his own thumbprint on anything." Trump himself reached out to a witness after the Cassidy Hutchinson hearing.

Important to note Mark Meadows is widely believed to be the culprit behind the Cassidy Hutchinson intimidation message.

Mark Meadows is either a loyal and cowardly stooge of a follower with no agency of his own (excellent Chief of Staff material! :bravo:) who refused to halt Trump at all when he got really crazy, and tried to get through January 6th Civil War 2 by burying himself in his phone.

...Or he's a True Believer loon who was with Trump on the coup the entire time, agreed tacitly with Trump that Pence should be hung on, and only looked up from his Coup agenda when Hutchinson reminded him his favorite guy Gym Jordan might be in danger.

Let's make that clear: according to Hutchinson, Mark Meadows was doing the equivalent of a kid putting off working on their assignment by surfing their phone, and he only got his rear end off the couch during a coup to talk down the President (you know, his loving job) when she specially mentioned Gymy Boi might be in danger.

He's either guilty of cowardice and indifference or openly guilty of abetting Sedition and possibly Treason

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
One thing I've always admired about my dad is that he didn't hold any anger towards the Vietnamese people even though like half of them tried to kill him, but seeing congressional republicans still bowing to Trump after he literally tried to get them lynched I'm thinking maybe it isn't that hard.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

TulliusCicero posted:

Important to note Mark Meadows is widely believed to be the culprit behind the Cassidy Hutchinson intimidation message.
That was leaked or something, because it was actually confirmed Mark Meadows was "[A person]" in a message the day she testified. And then it was later confirmed just over the weekend or on Monday Hutchinson was the recipient of the Meadows message. Those two facts are confirmed.

I recall when Meadows was "a person" was reported on the news I thought, "that cat didn't stay in the bag long at all." I'm pretty sure it was the evening after her testimony. I was very surprised.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 13, 2022

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Eighth hearing set for July 21st, still planned for primetime. Bennie Thompson says it's the last one....for now.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

Mark Meadows is either a loyal and cowardly stooge of a follower with no agency of his own (excellent Chief of Staff material! :bravo:) who refused to halt Trump at all when he got really crazy, and tried to get through January 6th Civil War 2 by burying himself in his phone.

...Or he's a True Believer loon who was with Trump on the coup the entire time, agreed tacitly with Trump that Pence should be hung on, and only looked up from his Coup agenda when Hutchinson reminded him his favorite guy Gym Jordan might be in danger.

Let's make that clear: according to Hutchinson, Mark Meadows was doing the equivalent of a kid putting off working on their assignment by surfing their phone, and he only got his rear end off the couch during a coup to talk down the President (you know, his loving job) when she specially mentioned Gymy Boi might be in danger.

He's either guilty of cowardice and indifference or openly guilty of abetting Sedition and possibly Treason

Porque no los dos?

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
WHOSE BEEN PLOTTING UP EVERY THING?!
IT'S BEEN DONALD TRUMP ALL ALONG~!

DY GUDNFAUHFWEJH R

WHOSE VBEEN PULLING EVERY EVIL STRING?~!
IT"S BEEN DOLNAL TRUMP ALL ALONG~!

I'M SORRY BUT SERIOUSLY HOW THE gently caress DO... let me calm my drunk rear end... how do they not indict him after all this evidence?! Just by the sheer cowardice/collaboration/whatever of Garland?

poo poo. Other folx in this thread are right, if there's no indictment with everything that just came out during today's hearings, then rule of law is a lie and peeps are gonna act like it. :stare:

There are more hearings after this, am I reading correctly?

staticman fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 13, 2022

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

staticman posted:

WHOSE BEEN PLOTTING UP EVERY THING?!
IT'S BEEN DONALD TRUMP ALL ALONG~!

DY GUDNFAUHFWEJH R

WHOSE VBEEN PULLING EVERY EVIL STRING?~!
IT"S BEEN DOLNAL TRUMP ALL ALONG~!

I'M SORRY BUT SERIOUSLY HOW THE gently caress DO... let me calm my drunk rear end... how do they not indict him after all this evidence?! Just by the sheer cowardice/collaboration/whatever of Garland?

poo poo. Other folx in this thread are right, if there's no indictment with everything that just came out during today's hearings, then rule of law is a lie and peeps are gonna act like it. :stare:

There are more hearings after this, am I reading correctly?

Not going to lie, went and listened to Agatha All along after this

Tbh "It's Been Donald Trump All Along" should be the theme of this thread and possibly the United States in it's current state.

It's also the most obvious spoiler in the history of this loving wierd and bizarre planet.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 13, 2022

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

TulliusCicero posted:

Tbh "It's Been Donald Trump All Along" should be the theme of this thread and possibly the United States in it's current state.

It's also the most obvious spoiler in the history of this loving wierd and bizarre planet.

Well, we tried "its putin all along" - which is absolutely the case - but the conspirators wrestled the Overton window to make it laughable to ever suggest international spy craft and intrigue and state sponsored campaigns of stochastic terrorism and sophisticated vote manipulation (using their propaganda machine, eumemics, manufactured consent, yadda)...

So now the dems make a nice neat tight narrative with just Trump and his inner circle as masterminds of the hell putin built, the havoc wrecked by the 2016 hack (with guccifer 2.0, the other IRA, fancy bear, Cambridge analytica, etc). A narrative that leaves out that qanon was a weaponized arg that flynn directed from the start.

No, this narrative is neat and right. Trump big man. Buck stop there.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
So, this happened on crazy social media

https://twitter.com/DJTTracker/status/1546132388530585602

Which somehow gained enough traction that Reuters, APNews and Politifact all had to make an article about it.

https://twitter.com/ReutersFacts/status/1546831177780056064

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Putting aside for a moment that Orson Scott Card is a terrible person...

I read Ender's Game in the early aughts, and one of my big impressions was that it bugged me how easily Ender's siblings were able to manipulate public opinion with online propaganda. Surely it couldn't be like that! It seemed like hacky, lazy writing.

But no, it turns out it really is that easy.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

pthighs posted:

I read Ender's Game in the early aughts, and one of my big impressions was that it bugged me

:allears: I see what you did there

But yeah, those bits are drat prescient

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

It really is. It's basically day camp at school with a lot of adults and kids they already know. My district has offered that all the way back when I was a kid. It was in one of those classes I learned how to play chess. Not well, but I at least learned the rules and how the pieces move.

Well as long as you know how the horse-shaped pieces move, you're ahead of at least one person here. :v:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Moktaro posted:

Well as long as you know how the horse-shaped pieces move, you're ahead of at least one person here. :v:

Those ones are called the clippy-cloppies and can move anywhere on the board as long as you canter

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

pthighs posted:

Putting aside for a moment that Orson Scott Card is a terrible person...

I read Ender's Game in the early aughts, and one of my big impressions was that it bugged me how easily Ender's siblings were able to manipulate public opinion with online propaganda. Surely it couldn't be like that! It seemed like hacky, lazy writing.

But no, it turns out it really is that easy.

Card also loving nailed how easy it was to indoctrinate 13 year old nerds into condoning, supporting, and ultimately committing genocide by fostering an environment where their sociopath urges are rewarded and their only role models are the people who want them to be unthinking foot soldiers in their culture war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

nine-gear crow posted:

Card also loving nailed ... 13 year old nerds

Probably