Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The Sikhs are one of the countries I'm looking forward to playing the most once I've had the chance to get some experience with the game, along with Krakow. I always have the most fun in Paradox games by starting out as a minor and having an organic target to aim for which also lines up with being a major or great power.

The fact that you also get to humiliate the UK and Germany / Austria / Russia respectively in the process is a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
I'd love to try the Sikh Empire, but I really am concerned how in Vicky 3 you can actually manage to start expanding in India. I just don't really know what levers you have available to try to get in without incurring the wrath of the OiBruvs.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Do they have a good Wool industry? Then you can play Hide and Sikh.

:five:

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Reddit has a supposed leak image of the marketing campaign, indicating a November release date. Pinch of salt and all that.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
The very first comment is Wiz saying it's fake and they should have tried harder.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Sikh AAR pls.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Zeron posted:

The very first comment is Wiz saying it's fake and they should have tried harder.

Confirmation of an August release???

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

trapped mouse posted:

Victoria 3: Factories don't care about your feelings

Factroys please

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
They shouldn't hurry, I haven't played as every country in EU4 yet (a country has to be played again after an update changes it).

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i would like to play this game very much thank you.

any word on if this game will be made for M1 Macs? CK3 is basically unplayable (on Macs) nowadays.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Lady Radia posted:

i would like to play this game very much thank you.

any word on if this game will be made for M1 Macs? CK3 is basically unplayable (on Macs) nowadays.

I play CK3 on a Macbook (M1 Pro), and it works/has been working totally fine for me. What has been the issue?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
release it now

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I play CK3 on a Macbook (M1 Pro), and it works/has been working totally fine for me. What has been the issue?

the performance has been completely terrible. i'm on an M1Max, did a recent update improve performance or anything? Like it was just completely unplayable a few months ago when I last tried

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Lady Radia posted:

the performance has been completely terrible. i'm on an M1Max, did a recent update improve performance or anything? Like it was just completely unplayable a few months ago when I last tried

I think there may have been a brief period where I had slowdown immediately after the new Iberian DLc, but it was patched quickly. Can't remember anything too bad in the last year or so.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I think there may have been a brief period where I had slowdown immediately after the new Iberian DLc, but it was patched quickly. Can't remember anything too bad in the last year or so.

Here's a discussion on it so I know I'm not crazy:
https://www.reddit.com/r/macgaming/comments/qsd9fs/crusader_kings_3_on_m1_max/
Regardless, I'll give it another go and follow up - thanks for the, uh, hope!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1546856907163435008

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hmm, feels like a callback...

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1546893665351639041

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I thought this was what progressive taxation systems resolve?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Raenir Salazar posted:

I thought this was what progressive taxation systems resolve?

This has nothing to do with progressive taxation - this is about a form of wage subsidies where if a Pop is paid less than X, the government pays the difference. So for example, if X is £10/week (calculated from average wage in your country and the size of your welfare institution), and the Pop makes only £5/week, the government pays £5/week to the Pop to make up the difference. Now let's say income taxes are 20% - if the Pop earned £10/week, this would amount to £8 after taxes. However, if it earned £5, got as much in subsidies, and then only paid income tax on the wage, the Pop would end up with £9 after taxes each week - meaning that if the Pop's wages went up, they would be taking home less money (they'd need to earn £11.25 to take home £9)

Wiz fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 12, 2022

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Wiz posted:

This has nothing to do with progressive taxation - this is about a form of wage subsidies where if a Pop is paid less than X, the government pays the difference. So for example, if X is £10/week (calculated from average wage in your country and the size of your welfare institution), and the Pop makes only £5/week, the government pays £5/week to the Pop to make up the difference. Now let's say income taxes are 20% - if the Pop earned £10/week, this would amount to £8 after taxes. However, if it earned £5, got as much in subsidies, and then only paid income tax on the wage, the Pop would end up with £9 after taxes each week - meaning that if the Pop's wages went up, they would be taking home less money (they'd need to earn £11.25 to take home £9)

Thanks for the explanation as I wasn't sure what was going on. :shobon:

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Revenge of the Invisible Hand

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Wiz posted:

lmao and who said this game wasn't gonna be realistic

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Wiz posted:

This is extremely realistic and similar to the ongoing argument in the US about how best to administrate benefits. The centrist Democrats want to means-test everything to make sure that only the poorest / "most deserving" get benefits, even if it increases the total cost of the program. Often extremely arbitrary cutoffs for programs get set, and it can be possible at the very low end of income to hit a point where you see a net loss of income, for example if you make too much to be on state Medicaid.

The leftist position that is studiously ignored is just to give these benefits to everyone and recoup it from the rich in income taxes rather than trying to figure out who is deserving and who is not.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

looking forward to some of the cool weird achievements for V3. like Dragging a reactionary total monarchy United States kicking and screaming passed the 1936 enddate sounds pretty fun.

Smashing that house of saud button

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Thank you for narrowly avoiding turning pops into libertarians, wiz.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Thank you for narrowly avoiding turning pops into libertarians, wiz.

wiz pledged that there wouldn't be incessant anarcho-liberal revolts in this one and he's following through

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Wiz posted:

Can't wait to do my taxes ingame too.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Wiz posted:

Is there a way to calculate taxes as (income + wage subsidies) instead of just income or would that completely break how the economy is set up?

edit: Never mind, I saw the tweet and you did just that.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I have faith in the team but it's little stories like that which make you realise what an achievement it's going to be if the economic system doesn't collapse completely after a few years or decades

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
That's pretty much what the real economy does though?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

the rate of profit has a tendency to glitch out

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

First Victoria 3 patch notes posted:

* Fixed a bug where capitalist pops were hoarding all the money, causing economic collapse and pop death spiral as other pops could not afford to buy goods necessary for living.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Tankbuster posted:

Victoria 3 mod that updates every year but it's just messing around with a Form 1040 and checking if it's better to go with the standard deduction this time around.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

AG3 posted:

That's pretty much what the real economy does though?

i still say that a large part of the appeal of victoria 2 was that its politics and economy were inscrutable and unpredictable just like the real world was and is, even if it wasn't in exactly the same ways

Tankbuster posted:

yeah i'm hyped too

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I mean Vicky 2's economy will literally always collapse if the game goes on too long so I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happened in V3.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

trapped mouse posted:

Victoria 3: Factories don't care about your feelings

New title

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Hellioning posted:

economy will literally always collapse if it goes on too long so I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happened in V3.

fixed that for you

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

getting railroaded into yet another crisis of overproduction in the 1920s Zzzz mods??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

fuf posted:

I have faith in the team but it's little stories like that which make you realise what an achievement it's going to be if the economic system doesn't collapse completely after a few years or decades