Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Most people don't get charged or convicted of treason. The Rosenbergs were convicted of espionage.

That said, I really doubt they'd sentence Margo to death; Aldrich Ames got CIA sources killed and didn't get the death penalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The soviets aren't technically an enemy, and they aren't at war, so it can't be treason. She'd probably just get charged with spying and go to prison.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

tokin opposition posted:

reject modernity, embrace Sea Dragon

Big Dumb Booster Supremacy

Dr_Strangelove fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 12, 2022

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This show is fundamentally optimistic in it's outlook (some might say to an absurd degree). Margo's secret trading was portrayed as cooperative, the two programs sharing knowledge through a back-channel. It was in some ways a point of hope and optimism, a symbol of interdependence and foreshadowing future cooperation which is sort of happening now.

All hints of nefariousness come from the KGB's involvement. Margo is shown doing this for over a decade with zero awareness from the CIA, which is laughably unrealistic. Margo doesn't fear any domestic repercussions, only what the KGB can do, and the show largely seems to support her view.

I don't think the show will send her to prison or anything near that drastic.

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

It feels like they're setting up Margo to get von braun'd. She'll be able to beat whatever's coming at her by saying what she got from the Soviets was necessary to beat Helios to Mars (probably true). And since she and NASA did win the race to Mars she's a national hero and they'll try to quietly retire her rather than drag her through a trial. It'll be a nice full circle to end her story. The only question is will Aleida be able to forgive her when she could never forgive Von Braun.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah I don't think they're going to execute her or anything, that doesn't seem like it fits the story. But it'll be the end for her and Aleida is going to take over NASA by next season.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

College Rockout posted:

It feels like they're setting up Margo to get von braun'd. She'll be able to beat whatever's coming at her by saying what she got from the Soviets was necessary to beat Helios to Mars (probably true). And since she and NASA did win the race to Mars she's a national hero and they'll try to quietly retire her rather than drag her through a trial. It'll be a nice full circle to end her story. The only question is will Aleida be able to forgive her when she could never forgive Von Braun.

I forgot that von Braun was in this show for a hot second. It seemed pretty ludicrous that they used his Nazi past to drum him out of NASA considering it was fairly well known in the real world.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Padje posted:

This is why I'm expecting Margo to be removed by the feds in the next couple of episodes. Molly will return then.

Can they give Margo the death penalty? Is what she did treason? Be quite the gut punch if Ellen doesn't pardon her (because someone's got her by the short hairs over her sexuality)

I love Ed sitting in the chair in the middle of the command deck like he's on the Enterprise.

gently caress, now I want Joel Kinnaman in a Star Trek property. Ed would actually make an interesting Starfleet captain template: he the biggest dickhead in the galaxy and a blunder in ox in his personal life, but somehow also the most ethical and safety minded officer you will ever meet. He would have knocked the piss out of Kirk.

Or, better, yet he shows up in The Orville as another Captain named Ed and give normal Ed an inferiority complex

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Rochallor posted:

I forgot that von Braun was in this show for a hot second. It seemed pretty ludicrous that they used his Nazi past to drum him out of NASA considering it was fairly well known in the real world.

Yeah, he was a nazi brought over in operation paperclip, but was it publicly known at the time that he used slave labor for his rockets?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The show is optimistic but bad things still happen to main characters. I'd be shocked if Margo gets through the season without getting caught.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

A Boy Scout with no charisma and a drinking problem is actually a perfect portrayal of an Annapolis grad. :smug:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Spacebump posted:

The show is optimistic but bad things still happen to main characters. I'd be shocked if Margo gets through the season without getting caught.

I won't be surprised if she gets caught or turns herself in as part of her plan to save her dude and his family but I'm hopeful that it turns out positively somehow

the fact that the US benefited heavily from the arrangement might make a difference, maybe it leads to an actual formalized agreement for greater international cooperation and sharing of technology and resources?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I really hope this is resolved with a CIA agent saying, “Margo, you’ve been using a public phone to make international calls and use a record store as a sloppy dead drop. We’re the CIA. We know.”

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Marsupial Ape posted:

I really hope this is resolved with a CIA agent saying, “Margo, you’ve been using a public phone to make international calls and use a record store as a sloppy dead drop. We’re the CIA. We know.”

Why do you think the engine blew up Margo....

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

apatheticman posted:

Why do you think the engine blew up Margo....

It’d be a little too Tom Clancy for Margo to turn out to be an unwitting double agent, feeding the Russians bad intel. That’d wrap it up, but that isn’t the tone of this show.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Marsupial Ape posted:

It’d be a little too Tom Clancy for Margo to turn out to be an unwitting double agent, feeding the Russians bad intel. That’d wrap it up, but that isn’t the tone of this show.

also we already know why the engine blew up

everybody saw them pushing things too hard and guessed how it would end, so having the CIA be like "that was us :smuggo:" would be really dumb

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Data Graham posted:

Whaddya think this is, The Expanse?

That show ruined many scifi shows for me.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

TIP posted:

also we already know why the engine blew up

everybody saw them pushing things too hard and guessed how it would end, so having the CIA be like "that was us :smuggo:" would be really dumb

Yeah, that sounds like the CIA.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I think the only way Margo really suffers, is if the Soviets have been passing along the rocket tech to the North Koreans and they tie it back to the hotel disaster.

Otherwise, prison but pardon from outgoing President.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

She's not going to prison or even needing a pardon, that's just not what this show is. At worst she will be "publicly disgraced" and forced to step down like Von Braun in the show. And she will say "it was worth it I did what had to be done" but she'll have a big falling out with Aleida cause of the rocket engine design. As someone mentioned upthread, the Margo-Aleida relationship will echo the Von Braun-Margo relationship all the way to the end.

The real question is who will be Aleida's new protégé to continue the pattern?

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 13, 2022

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

bawfuls posted:

She's not going to prison or even needing a pardon, that's just not what this show is.

Two main characters died on the moon’s surface last season. While this show is positive, this isn’t Ted Lasso. They are clearly setting something up with the Margo plot. Her actions led to the deaths of two US astronauts.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spacebump posted:

Two main characters died on the moon’s surface last season. While this show is positive, this isn’t Ted Lasso. They are clearly setting something up with the Margo plot. Her actions led to the deaths of two US astronauts.
Yes, characters die doing heroic things in space

They don't get shamed and sent to prison for espionage, especially when the show has shown a bunch of KGB stuff without ever even mentioning the CIA

This show has spent 2 seasons setting up Margo-Aleida as a parallel to von Braun-Margo

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
danny is an MKULTRA victim

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think Margo is headed for a resigning in disgrace situation to parallel Von Braun. No writer in the world could resist that setup.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

bawfuls posted:

They don't get shamed and sent to prison for espionage, especially when the show has shown a bunch of KGB stuff without ever even mentioning the CIA

This show has spent 2 seasons setting up Margo-Aleida as a parallel to von Braun-Margo

I’ll give you they have been setting up that parallel. As it stands, the two astronauts that died in the recuse wouldn’t have without Margo leaking secrets to the Russians. She has blood on her hands.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

bawfuls posted:

I don't even think it's a great parallel to be honest.

von Braun used Nazi death camps for slave labor.
Margo traded information to the USSR space program in exchange for information useful to the NASA space program.

withak posted:

I think Margo is headed for a resigning in disgrace situation to parallel Von Braun. No writer in the world could resist that setup.

I think this is the reasonable outcome as well.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also I'm going to be a pedant and point out that it wouldn't be the CIA knocking on Margo's door, it'd be the FBI.

Hey, maybe James Urbaniak gets to come back for another episode or two!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
It'll be alternate universe NSA and they'll be very mad that she's been pirating

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Also I'm going to be a pedant and point out that it wouldn't be the CIA knocking on Margo's door, it'd be the FBI.

Hey, maybe James Urbaniak gets to come back for another episode or two!

Yeah the cia wouldn’t knock.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

Yeah the cia wouldn’t knock.

because they wouldnt be able to find the door

the CIA is beyond incompetent

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Ellen will have Margo drawn and quartered in Time Square

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

blue squares posted:

because they wouldnt be able to find the door

the CIA is beyond incompetent

Cold War cia was really good at loving people up domestically.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Spacebump posted:

I’ll give you they have been setting up that parallel. As it stands, the two astronauts that died in the recuse wouldn’t have without Margo leaking secrets to the Russians. She has blood on her hands.

I'm not following (which doesn't mean you're wrong!), why does Margo have blood on her hands?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If she hadn't given the Soviets the engine design, they wouldn't have been able to launch so the collision that killed the two NASA astronauts wouldn't have happened.

Or if the Soviets did get their engines working independently and similar events happened, she wouldn't have any connection to it.

I don't think blaming her for it is fair, but it would absolutely happen.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Oh no doubt someone who wants to end Margo's career can tell a story that'll make it happen. As a viewer, though, I don't blame Margo for those dead astronauts any more than I blame anyone else at NASA.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
The irony is that Margo started funneling info to the Soviets because she couldn’t stand seeing anymore cosmonauts die from engineering failures that NASA had figured out years before. That’s the best justification Margo could give to Aleida about giving away her engine design, “You made the best, safest engine possible it and saved the lives of a lot of cosmonauts”.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Virtue aside, feeding engineering and nuclear propulsion secrets to the Soviets for a decade is pret-ty serious. There's no way someone convicted of a similar crime in real life wouldn't face significant time in prison.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Rental Sting posted:

Virtue aside, feeding engineering and nuclear propulsion secrets to the Soviets for a decade is pret-ty bad. There's no way someone convicted of a similar crime in real life wouldn't face significant time in prison.

I’m not saying she is innocent. It’s just ironic.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Oh, it certainly is. I am not making a value judgment, either, just saying she would be hosed big time IRL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I hope Margo dies