Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

It's really unique among videogames. Having the voices in your head literally metagame and offer "sequence-breaking" advice is something I've never seen before.

The only other thing that comes close, that I can think of, is playing Malkavian vampire in "Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines|. For those who have not played the game, the player character is a vampire that can belong to one of several bloodlines and the gimmick of Malkavian bloodline is (to put it simply) trading their sanity for phenomenal cosmic knowledge, to the point of being more-or-less omniscient. So the character you are playing pretty much knows the entire plot of the game from the beginning and most of their dialogue choices are some variations of "oh, this character is hiding x ", "now is about time for y to happen", "that character is actually planning to do z but won't be able to achieve anything", etc.... obfuscated by making it sound like random gibberish unless you already finished the game and can put two and two together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grayshift
May 31, 2013

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

It's really unique among videogames. Having the voices in your head literally metagame and offer "sequence-breaking" advice is something I've never seen before.

Deadly Premonition gave me the same vibe.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I'm near the end of day three and Kim just left to take the body away. Its interesting because random sidequests aside I have absolutely no idea where the main plot is going!

Like, if it were any other game the nice polite liberal vs. the ultra-corrupt union president would be played absolutely straight but I feel like it could go in so many different directions at this point, especially because of how openly disdainful the game is against centrism lol

I also finally got the chest piece from that fucker Gary but I have no idea where to find the rest, which I assume is pants and a helmet...

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Asking around about the armor should tell you what you should be looking out for. Good job on the chest armor, though; gently caress Gary.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm near the end of day three and Kim just left to take the body away. Its interesting because random sidequests aside I have absolutely no idea where the main plot is going!

Like, if it were any other game the nice polite liberal vs. the ultra-corrupt union president would be played absolutely straight but I feel like it could go in so many different directions at this point, especially because of how openly disdainful the game is against centrism lol

I also finally got the chest piece from that fucker Gary but I have no idea where to find the rest, which I assume is pants and a helmet...

Re: armor, minor spoilers There's boots, gauntlets, chest and helmet. If you didn't already pull the boots off the body then they're gone. The gloves are around, just talk to everyone. The helmet isn't available until literally the end of the game. Someone briefly mentions that there should be leggings but they're long gone, idk if there's ever any reason given for that major plot spoiler I would guess he wasn't wearing pants when shot and even if they were at the actual crime scene, they probably couldn't get them on his corpse?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I do wish there was an NG+ option that just let you carry over clothes from your previous runs.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

The only other thing that comes close, that I can think of, is playing Malkavian vampire in "Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines|. For those who have not played the game, the player character is a vampire that can belong to one of several bloodlines and the gimmick of Malkavian bloodline is (to put it simply) trading their sanity for phenomenal cosmic knowledge, to the point of being more-or-less omniscient. So the character you are playing pretty much knows the entire plot of the game from the beginning and most of their dialogue choices are some variations of "oh, this character is hiding x ", "now is about time for y to happen", "that character is actually planning to do z but won't be able to achieve anything", etc.... obfuscated by making it sound like random gibberish unless you already finished the game and can put two and two together.

Oh, that's actually really cool. I've heard of the game, but not that particular detail.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

A Bystander posted:

Asking around about the armor should tell you what you should be looking out for. Good job on the chest armor, though; gently caress Gary.

I kinda regret that I never fined him for his sins

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A key thing is that even though it might not make much sense at the time, there are very few side quests or activities that do not in some way advance your investigation. Everything is relevant and part of a large jigsaw.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Barudak posted:

I do wish there was an NG+ option that just let you carry over clothes from your previous runs.
Pretty easy to explain away too, given that Harry has been on the case for a while at the start of the game. Well, easy to explain in a meta sense, harder for Harry to explain why he has a full set of combat armor.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The most solid criticism of DE is the wardrobe shuffle you do in the middle of conversations to be more persuasive/insightful. Also having to remember to actually put tools in your hands to get bonuses from them. Fiddly and unnecessary.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

On the other hand it's a very funny mental image. No, no, keep talking, don't mind me, I'm just putting on my drama kimono.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

This game is total bonkers. I'm a recovering alcoholic so a lot a lot a lot of DE hits really close to home. It's been 6 years of sobriety and this game reminds me that I've made the right choices. I felt really awful completing the "drink alcohol" quest.

The writing is so excellent. The possible hilarity of every single conversation balances out Harry's absolute decrepitude and sadness and I love it. Plus the world building is totally captivating and I can't wait to get more. (Thanks Joyce!)

I just started day 3. The cops in the lobby of the Whirling who are absolutely my close coworkers but I can't remember them are devastating and extremely funny.

Kim and I just found my sunken squad car and my heart legit broke for Harry.
I'm already the Sorry Cop and I had to put the game down for a minute because he's already tormented enough.

Edit: ^^^^ how can anyone take me seriously with these interfacing rubber gloves on?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

You've got a badge and a gun, they have to take you seriously. The only people who don't also have guns.

Well, Kim has his badge and gun anyway, and he's got your back.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Edit: ^^^^ how can anyone take me seriously with these interfacing rubber gloves on?

Tell them you're a boy genius who's briefly stepped out of the secret laboratory he keeps in his bedroom

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I have to assume some staggering high percentage of players first run involves sorry cop.

Harrier DuBois aint apologizing for nothing, though

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

No lie, one of the things that made me buy this game after waffling for a long time was a screenshot of the conical hat adding +1 Logic with the description "perfectly logical for a cop to wear this"

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I can't be mean to people in video games! They might be... Disappointed in me!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

YggiDee posted:

I can't be mean to people in video games! They might be... Disappointed in me!

You're a cop, its too late for worrying about that, they already are.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Barudak posted:

You're a cop, its too late for worrying about that, they already are.

Honestly it's not even that. That bender you went on that left with you with the amnesia was so pathetic that even your lamest dialog options are legitimately a step up

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SexyBlindfold posted:

Tell them you're a boy genius who's briefly stepped out of the secret laboratory he keeps in his bedroom

That's already The Cuno.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Just finished my first play through. High perception moralist who mostly played it straight. Holy poo poo what a game.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I am playing through for the first time, so without spoilers please:

I just met Evrart for the first time. after talking to him, my "Find your gun" task was marked as complete, even though I didn't find it and I denied the request to go open some door for him. What's up with this? Is it a bug?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
If you want your gun, Mr. Evrart must help you find your gun. If you won't help Mr. Evrart help you find your gun, you won't find your gun, therefore the quest is ended. It's not impossible to beat the game as a gunless cop, but it'll be harder.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Harriet Carker posted:

I just met Evrart for the first time. after talking to him, my "Find your gun" task was marked as complete, even though I didn't find it and I denied the request to go open some door for him. What's up with this? Is it a bug?

You should go tell Joyce about it.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Harriet Carker posted:

No bug, but you may have, to my knowledge, locked yourself out of retrieving your service weapon. This is fine though, it isn't necessary to complete the game or unlock any additional content (beyond the quest to retrieve the gun itself, which I highly recommend on a later playthrough). I beat the game my first time without ever retrieving my gun.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If that's the case, it's not as unforgiving as that. Mr. Evrart is nothing if not a good friend who just wants to help you out

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Just played Citizen Sleeper. The writing’s great. Another poignant dystopian cyberpunk text-based game. The mechanics aren’t as tight as DE and its smaller scale certainly shows. But there’s a real tenderness and introspection to that game. There won’t be another DE for a long time, so try this one out.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Vegetable posted:

Just played Citizen Sleeper. The writing’s great. Another poignant dystopian cyberpunk text-based game. The mechanics aren’t as tight as DE and its smaller scale certainly shows. But there’s a real tenderness and introspection to that game. There won’t be another DE for a long time, so try this one out.

I just played this too (right before noticing a bunch of free new content will drop soon). It definitely scratches a similar itch, if at a much smaller scale as said.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I just played this too (right before noticing a bunch of free new content will drop soon). It definitely scratches a similar itch, if at a much smaller scale as said.

Communism also breaks this game too.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Here have an excellent Disco meme

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That composure is worth more than a 2

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

:laffo: aluminum monster as pain threshold

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I succeeded in getting rid of The Expression at like a 2% chance, but now I'm just sad.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

I, too, miss The Expression

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The Expression, Fully Shaved, Maxed Electrochemistry

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

christmas boots posted:

No Expression, Fully Shaved, Maxed Half Light

Fixed

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I didn't even look in the mirror until the very end of the first day and frankly I think I preferred the vague blob

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I completely avoided the mirror on my second playthrough for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Why would you deny The Expression