Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Skyscraper Raccoon posted:

Horseshoe theory comes to life again

Imagine posting this unironically lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/23/airline-industry-pushes-cdc-to-cut-breakthrough-covid-quarantine-time.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/27/cdc-recommends-shorter-covid-isolation-quarantine-for-all.html

wait until you hear my theory connecting these two, it'll blow your socks off!!

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Whoa buddy, this isn’t Infowars.com.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Gio posted:

i think there are far more "realistic" goals that can be fought for and won, whether that's mandatory masking in essential settings (e.g. healthcare, education, grocery etc.), improved ventilation standards, or, hell, M4A.

e: and i sincerely hate the fact that i sound like a lib for compromising my idea of a better world, but people that give a poo poo about covid are now an extreme minority. its very disheartening. for libs, every single one of the goals i listed is, almost certainly in their minds, not worth fighting for.

Letting the perfect be the enemy of the good

Or THE SLIGHTLY LESS WORSE being unacceptable

Is why we are turbofucked now

Every which way

Don't apologize for saying let's at least try to do this blah blah

Every loving fertile woman in America better be willing to make some loving compromises really soon, and guy too unless you want lots of misc kids

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Spinz posted:

Letting the perfect be the enemy of the good

Or THE SLIGHTLY LESS WORSE being unacceptable

Is why we are turbofucked now

Every which way

Don't apologize for saying let's at least try to do this blah blah

Every loving fertile woman in America better be willing to make some loving compromises really soon, and guy too unless you want lots of misc kids

I got an IUD, and have been encouraging my male friends to get vasectomies. Fuuuuck you ACB, doing my part to derail your dream of a healthy supply of domestic infants

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
It's amazing to see that the government has literally learned no lessons from the covid pandemic and are just pretending monkeypox doesnt exist. You'd think when we had a handful of cases in the US that there would be a rigorous contact tracing program to prevent it from spreading. But nope, let's just blame the gays.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Charliegrs posted:

It's amazing to see that the government has literally learned no lessons from the covid pandemic and are just pretending monkeypox doesnt exist. You'd think when we had a handful of cases in the US that there would be a rigorous contact tracing program to prevent it from spreading. But nope, let's just blame the gays.

I am, sadly, not amazed. Not even very mildly surprised tbh.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Goon CDC Conspiracy: The CDC is beholden to political and economic pressures and its health advice reflects this.
Antivax CDC Conspiracy: The CDC is covering up waves of heart disease deaths caused by covid vaccines that have microchip trackers and also your balls will shrink and you'll never have children replacement theory they'll rewrite your genes.

Me, an intellectual: finally, evidence of horseshoe theory.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

Goon CDC Conspiracy: The CDC is beholden to political and economic pressures and its health advice reflects this.
Antivax CDC Conspiracy: The CDC is covering up waves of heart disease deaths caused by covid vaccines that have microchip trackers and also your balls will shrink and you'll never have children replacement theory they'll rewrite your genes.

Me, an intellectual: finally, evidence of horseshoe theory.

One of these theories has basically been admitted to be true by the CDC.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Goon conspiracy: The CDC is definitely not putting in overtime hours this year
Regular conspiracy: The CDC is definitely putting in huge overtime hours this year

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Goon conspiracy: the CDC does not care about our health because it is corrupted by economic and political interests, plus just plain incompetence
Regular conspiracy: the CDC does not care about our health because it is actively trying to harm us

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The CDC's new "community level" covid map was also some PR bullshit, they tied the covid threat level to the number of covid patient admissions at hospitals and the percentage of staffed inpatient beds in use by covid patients and the new colour range didn't even go up to red, it stopped at orange. It doesn't tell you how high the rate of infection is in your area, it tells you how well the hospitals are coping. State/county mask recommendations were also tied to this colour scheme so now the mask recommendation changes based on the hospital capacity and not on your chances of catching the virus.

Here's the current map:

Lots of green, no red anywhere! Looking good! Only 20% of counties have high covid levels!

They still publish the old "community transmission" maps which are just the infection case rates but they had a caveat on them that this data was for healthcare facility use only and not for the general public.

Here's the current map:

That look pretty bad, pretty much every state sucks a lot! More than 95% of counties have substantial/high covid spread!

Apparently so many people pointed out that this was bullshit that the CDC very quietly edited the page today
https://twitter.com/JReinerMD/status/1546109669860589573

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 11, 2022

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

that seems bad, but wait until they just delete the old map entirely and stop reporting the data at all when the criticism continues

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
People who likely have monkeypox but don't fit "the profile" are still struggling to get tested. Here's a guy in Texas covered in gross pustules and rashes across his entire body who has been trying to convince dermatologists to check if it's monkeypox, so far the best they can do is confirm it's not shingles and go "Well it might be monkeypox :shrug:"

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7114737845021150510

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

How can it be misleading when 99% of (confirmed) cases match the profile?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

People who likely have monkeypox but don't fit "the profile" are still struggling to get tested. Here's a guy in Texas covered in gross pustules and rashes across his entire body who has been trying to convince dermatologists to check if it's monkeypox, so far the best they can do is confirm it's not shingles and go "Well it might be monkeypox :shrug:"

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7114737845021150510

So what I'm guessing is if you obviously have monkeypox but want to get tested just tell them you're gay even if you're not.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

confirmed cases match the profile because the profile is used to determine who gets tested to confirm the case.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
Tested positive

Coooool.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

So what I'm guessing is if you obviously have monkeypox but want to get tested just tell them you're gay even if you're not.

No guarantee there either. My very gay, very sexually uninhibited friend had to go to four doctors before one would even entertain the idea of testing him. Two explicitly told him there was no way he had monkeypox in spite of his meeting the whole drat checklist of risk factors and symptomatology.

He of course had monkeypox the whole time, and the delays in diagnosis and treatment meant it got a whole lot worse than it needed to.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Dr. Fauci doing a Farewell Tour before his retirement with all of his greatest hits (from the 80s and 2000s)! Gems like:

"It only affects the gays!"

"You need prolonged, direct contact to be infected!"

"Very rare, unlikely to spread!"

"Definitely not airborne!"

"Cases are very mild!"

...and the crowd favorite:

"No deaths have been reported (yet)!"

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Stickman posted:

How can it be misleading when 99% of (confirmed) cases match the profile?
Because you can get monkeypox from air and surfaces hella easy.

PITY BONER posted:

Here's a few images from studies/articles I saved from Twitter a few days back, so I am sorry I don't have the source. The highlights are not mine.

You won't just have to worry about catching covid from non-maskers on flights anymore. Bonus points if they've got an aisle seat and people walk by them to get to the toilets multiple times during a flight (or they go to the toilets multiple times). Trains, buses, taxis, classrooms, offices, waiting rooms, LMAO.

It has a habit of getting on everything and staying viable long enough to make it a problem.

Luckily, it's only infectious on surfaces for up to 35 weeks, so as long as you go about your day and your hands don't have any small cuts on them and you never rub your nose or touch your mouth, you'll be ok. Don't worry about that pimple on your butt when you sit on a public toilet, or the fact that you cut your finger nails too short when you grab a door handle or something.

Anyway, please makes sure to believe the media's claim that only the gays and bisexuals can spread/catch it, just like HIV, because they can't stop having sex and are degenerates, etc.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Goon w monkeypox, at the doctor: "IM GAY"

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

It looks like everyone is getting in on the 90s revivals!

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.
Does anyone know the sensitivity rate for RAT for Omicron4/5? I can only find it for BA2.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

compshateme85 posted:

Does anyone know the sensitivity rate for RAT for Omicron4/5? I can only find it for BA2.

I haven’t been able to find any studies and I’ve found a couple testing company sites say there aren’t any yet so I’m going with nobody knows yet. RATs target the spike protein and since BA.4/5 has a ton of mutations on the spike protein we should expect to see RATs lose even more accuracy than they did with BA.2 but by how much seems unanswered atm.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

When I took the RAT and tested positive at the end of last week both lines showed up in less than a minute and stayed that way. The T line appeared first and it was bold and unmistakable. I wasn't sure if that was from over-zealous swabbing or just the fact that Omicron+ people generate gazillions of viral particles in the throat & nasal cavity compared to previous variants.

Sore throat is the worst part of it so far but I was able to get a Paxlovid Rx inside the 5-day window. Hoo boy this Paxlovid mouth taste sure is something. Reminds me of tonic water and dentist's glove. And my dumps have been absolutely presidential.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Dick Jones posted:

Sore throat is the worst part of it so far but I was able to get a Paxlovid Rx inside the 5-day window. Hoo boy this Paxlovid mouth taste sure is something. Reminds me of tonic water and dentist's glove. And my dumps have been absolutely presidential.

Jolly Ranchers are the popular choice to deal with pax mouth.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
My covid stuff is migrating down to my chest now. My temperature hasn't been too bad today, but I've had a couple of moments where I felt cold. it's 93 degrees outside.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Idiot Kicker posted:

My covid stuff is migrating down to my chest now. My temperature hasn't been too bad today, but I've had a couple of moments where I felt cold. it's 93 degrees outside.
You’re in the US right? here’s a guide to getting paxlovid, assuming you don’t have contraindicating health stuff/medications:
https://twitter.com/ToonyGoons/status/1524538401839628289

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Zugzwang posted:

You’re in the US right? here’s a guide to getting paxlovid, assuming you don’t have contraindicating health stuff/medications:
https://twitter.com/ToonyGoons/status/1524538401839628289

https://hidrb.com/ just got shared in another thread, they do free paxlovid consultations for residents of New York, Florida, and California. It's faster than findcovidcare, too. They ask for the standard patient info that a pharmacy uses, and want a picture of a positive rapid test. Then they give you a list of local pharmacies with pax in stock to send your script to. All automated on the user's side, and it was under an hour from submitting info to the pharmacy calling with the script ready to pick up.

findcovidcare costs $50 and took overnight to send the script to a pharmacy.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.
I'm going to preface this with a grateful acknowledgement of just how privileged I am to have: 1) a primary care physician who is 2) covered by my insurance, and who 3) is not a raving rear end in a top hat.

I told my PCP that I wanted to know whether he recommended a 2nd booster given my high risk employment, even though I'm under 50 and not immunocompromised. He agreed that I should absolutely get my second booster ASAP, and (when my pharmacy dragged their heels) wrote a very legible and snarky prescription for me. He also made it clear that if I popped hot I should give him a call and he'd immediately prescribe Paxlovid.

Super appreciative to be in the position I'm in. If other goons have regular medical care and feel they would benefit from extra-conservative protection, I urge you to at least check: the worst thing that can happen is a "no."

I also urge anyone who can do so to proactively discuss Paxlovid with your doctor. I hope to not catch this poo poo, but if I do, it's nice to have the option.

Preemptive disclaimer: I talked to my doctor about my concerns and made it clear I was going to follow his recommendations. I'm not suggesting that anyone try to circumvent medical professionals, so feel free to refrain from lecturing me on how unsafe my drug-seeking behavior is. TIA

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Got my last call and I've completed my stint in the covid vaccine trial. It was an interesting experience and I'd recommend it. Hopefully I'll be eligible for another vaccine trial in the future.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Thanks for your service!

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Soo...did you get any cool powers? Laser breath, x-beams, hairless feet, big triple balls? Magnetism gets stale. Just wondering what I might have to look forward to. Bonus nipples? Atomic turkey wattle? Thank you for your service to sciewnce🔭

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Soo...did you get any cool powers?
Something like a thousand bucks across all of it, which is not bad as far as powers go.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
First real world study from Qatar showing how much protection prior Omicron infection provides against BA.4/BA.5 reinfection.

quote:

Protection of SARS-CoV-2 natural infection against reinfection with the Omicron BA.4 or BA.5 subvariants

This study estimates the effectiveness of previous infection with SARSCoV2 in preventing reinfection with Omicron BA.4/BA.5 subvariants using a test negative, case control study design. Cases (SARSCoV2 positive test results) and controls (SARSCoV2 negative test results) were matched according to sex, 10 year age group, nationality, comorbid condition count, calendar week of testing, method of testing, and reason for testing. Effectiveness was estimated using the S gene target failure (SGTF) infections between May 7, 2022 and July 4, 2022. SGTF status provides a proxy for BA.4/BA.5 infections, considering the negligible incidence of other SGTF variants during the study. Effectiveness was also estimated using all diagnosed infections between June 8, 2022 and July 4, 2022, when BA.4/BA.5 dominated incidence. Effectiveness of a previous pre-Omicron infection against symptomatic BA.4/BA.5 reinfection was 15.1% (95% CI: -47.1 to 50.9%), and against any BA.4/BA.5 reinfection irrespective of symptoms was 28.3% (95% CI: 11.4 to 41.9%). Effectiveness of a previous Omicron infection against symptomatic BA.4/BA.5 reinfection was 76.1% (95% CI: 54.9 to 87.3%), and against any BA.4/BA.5 reinfection was 79.7% (95% CI: 74.3 to 83.9%). Results using all diagnosed infections when BA.4/BA.5 dominated incidence confirmed the same findings. Sensitivity analyses adjusting for vaccination status confirmed study results. Protection of a previous infection against BA.4/BA.5 reinfection was modest when the previous infection involved a preOmicron variant, but strong when the previous infection involved the Omicron BA.1 or BA.2 subvariants. Protection of a previous infection against BA.4/BA.5 was lower than that against BA.1/BA.2, consistent with BA.4/BA.5 greater capacity for immune system evasion than that of BA.1/BA.2.
Qatar has a national health care database and conducts routine surveillance so their data is pretty comprehensive, but note that their population skews young due to the large percentage of migrant workers.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I finally got my ER bill from a few weeks ago, my long covid visit. $6,000 total, $500 out of pocket after insurance.

I'm real glad this pandemic didn't happen when I was in my 20s, at those prices, when I was that age I avoided the ER at all costs.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

found out my sister tested positive this week. this is her first time. she is unvaxxed and lives with my unvaxxed (and now fully converted anti-vax) parents. she says it's the worst she's ever been sick.

my parents just tried to get me to go over to their place to visit yesterday evening, and then out to eat at a steakhouse with them. i passed, both because family from out of town were visiting who i'd rather not deal with and i don't want to eat inside at a bustling steakhouse during a pandemic. i didn't know i was dodging a bullet because the bastards didn't even mention she was sick when they invited me. and of course they didn't think twice about going out to eat at a crowded restaurant after being exposed to her in the same house for days. she at least stayed home because she didn't feel well.

i texted her tonight when i heard and found out my parents are giving her hydroxychloroquine, which they had leftover from when they caught it in january :stonk:

goddamn my family is nuts. my sister doesn't have health insurance, so there's no way she's going to visit a doctor, but i did pass along the online paxlovid info from this thread. i'm not sure if i convinced her to try to get it tomorrow (day 4 of her symptoms), but i hope i did. she's not as dumb as my parents, she is just trapped in their bubble due to living with them and mostly goes along with what they say because arguing with them is agony.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

found out my sister tested positive this week. this is her first time. she is unvaxxed and lives with my unvaxxed (and now fully converted anti-vax) parents. she says it's the worst she's ever been sick.

my parents just tried to get me to go over to their place to visit yesterday evening, and then out to eat at a steakhouse with them. i passed, both because family from out of town were visiting who i'd rather not deal with and i don't want to eat inside at a bustling steakhouse during a pandemic. i didn't know i was dodging a bullet because the bastards didn't even mention she was sick when they invited me. and of course they didn't think twice about going out to eat at a crowded restaurant after being exposed to her in the same house for days. she at least stayed home because she didn't feel well.

i texted her tonight when i heard and found out my parents are giving her hydroxychloroquine, which they had leftover from when they caught it in january :stonk:

goddamn my family is nuts. my sister doesn't have health insurance, so there's no way she's going to visit a doctor, but i did pass along the online paxlovid info from this thread. i'm not sure if i convinced her to try to get it tomorrow (day 4 of her symptoms), but i hope i did. she's not as dumb as my parents, she is just trapped in their bubble due to living with them and mostly goes along with what they say because arguing with them is agony.

Sup crazyass family buddy. I haven’t been home more than a few hours for a funeral since 2018? 2019?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Bad Purchase posted:

your family is openly plotting to kill you