Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Welp, just got fired from my new job, good thing I hadn't left my old one. They wanted someone with more AWS experience and didn't want to pay $83k for someone still learning the ropes but with a basic understanding of the platform.

What kind of company was it?

And what gave it away? Slow to complete tasks or what kind of stuffp

I'd be afraid of being in meetings getting asked stuff and being like uhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
83k is like… no expectations pay for an employee who works in the cloud. That’s multiple years of spin up time wages

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

It seems now that the lifestyle meme of Multiple Full Time Jobs is entering the lexicon for the general public (showing up on social networks kids use like Insta and TikTok) serious employers are going to take a closer look at this stuff.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

startup that I would have been very excited to work at just emailed me to say they wouldn't be moving forward and I'm disproportionately disappointed about it

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

What kind of company was it?

And what gave it away? Slow to complete tasks or what kind of stuffp

I'd be afraid of being in meetings getting asked stuff and being like uhhh

SaaS company, I think slow to complete tasks and having to ask too many questions.

The non-profit I work at part time on the side wants some case management software and asked me if I wanted to do it. I was going to say they should get an off the shelf thing but maybe I'll set up a site in AWS to learn more, I struggle with studying for certs or any kind of self-paced learning.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

22 Eargesplitten posted:

SaaS company, I think slow to complete tasks and having to ask too many questions.

The non-profit I work at part time on the side wants some case management software and asked me if I wanted to do it. I was going to say they should get an off the shelf thing but maybe I'll set up a site in AWS to learn more, I struggle with studying for certs or any kind of self-paced learning.

SaaS is probably a pretty brutal first foray into production cloud stuff. All the ones I’ve ever been around are run by psychos and they tend to use some wild poo poo on cloud platforms (loving fabric lol)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Inner Light posted:

It seems now that the lifestyle meme of Multiple Full Time Jobs is entering the lexicon for the general public (showing up on social networks kids use like Insta and TikTok) serious employers are going to take a closer look at this stuff.

They can look at it all they want, they are extremely limited in anything they can do if you do it right.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, anyone hiring for AWS poo poo? The main project I was doing was redirecting sites through s3 buckets and then migrating domains to Route 53, and I had just started getting my feet wet with boto3 right up until the firing meeting.

I'll ditch my old job and just work one (plus the after hours non-profit) if it's at least 100k, I probably could have spun up faster if I had been focusing on one.

E: Remote only unfortunately. And while I'm filling this post up what's a good project for learning how to work with CICD pipelines? That and Terraform I didn't get any experience with there because if they did have a pipeline (I don't think they did) it was all on the dev side and they didn't trust Terraform because they thought it was a security risk.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 13, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Fool posted:

startup that I would have been very excited to work at just emailed me to say they wouldn't be moving forward and I'm disproportionately disappointed about it

Ah man, I'm super bummed for you. I know it stings, but I hope you find a new opportunity that you are just as excited about.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Welp, just got fired from my new job, good thing I hadn't left my old one. They wanted someone with more AWS experience and didn't want to pay $83k for someone still learning the ropes but with a basic understanding of the platform.

I started at 102 fresh out of college, and they're fully training me, you might need a job, but that job would have loving sucked anyways.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

And if they don’t, gently caress them. You’ll be something and they’ll beg to hire you.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

None of this applies to clam down. No one likes you

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

Ah man, I'm super bummed for you. I know it stings, but I hope you find a new opportunity that you are just as excited about.

thanks

i'm 90% certain that the reason is my professional experience is all enterprise/ azure and they were an aws shop

next time I try to go for an opportunity like this I need show more diversity of skill

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I need to port a number from consumer Google Voice to Google Workspace Google Voice. Apparently you can't go directly from consumer to workspace, you need to go consumer -> 3rd party -> workspace... because Google. Anyone done this before? Any suggestions on carriers that would be easiest to use as a 3rd party?

So dumb.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Use a teams pbx trial as your middle step

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That’s super dumb and I’m sorry. I always always hire for the person and not for the tech. There is always a special way we do things, and a process so whatever you may have learned will need to be re-learned anyways.

Finding someone who can learn, and is energetic about getting better, AND is good at troubleshooting when it doesn’t work is worth their weight in gold. Screw the tech. You’d learn the tech. Not to mention yea $83K is like “yea we want this but for someone to grow into it”. They are dumb and good on you for keeping the other job while they flailed. And I’m in management, so not all of us are the worst.

Edit: ADHD chat. If someone is unwilling to give you stimulants, Wellbutrin has been really helpful for me. My psychiatrist is… efficient. But like I said really helpful. I’m able to take a step away in my head and pick the best course of action. ALSO I used to sleep like not great and I would tense my muscles in my sleep. Like a week of the meds and I found myself looser and I slept better.

It also allowed me to get on to working out and getting a trainer for me and my wife which has also greatly improved my outlook. It may take a while ( had to schedule my tests like 5 months out) but you have to be your own advocate.

ptier fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 13, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Fool posted:

Use a teams pbx trial as your middle step

I guess that's as good as any. Was going to do Ring Central or something.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I guess that's as good as any. Was going to do Ring Central or something.

numberbarn?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I was honest about what I still needed to learn, I'm a terrible bluffer. Probably didn't help that it had been almost two years since my AWS cert so I was rusty.

Honestly, this probably should have been the #1 reason to keep you. You're aware enough to know what you need to know and that's huge. Their loss.

I need to port a number from consumer Google Voice to Google Workspace Google Voice. Apparently you can't go directly from consumer to workspace, you need to go consumer -> 3rd party -> workspace... because Google. Anyone done this before? Any suggestions on carriers that would be easiest to use as a 3rd party?

So dumb.

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Maybe you can port it to some cheap SIP provider like Flowroute or whatever. Definitely avoid anything L3 if possible they are the loving WORRRRRRRRST about porting numbers. Took them fully a year to actually get poo poo straight with fax numbers from a previous job.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 13, 2022

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

I started at 102 fresh out of college, and they're fully training me, you might need a job, but that job would have loving sucked anyways.

You're in California, right? If you're anywhere south of Sacramento expect twice the salary of most of the rest of the country, not sure what Sacramento is like.

I'm getting drunk tonight, then tomorrow I'll start mapping out the case management system for the non-profit (I talked with my friend/boss about it and he said "hell yeah go for it") and looking for jobs.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Oh right, yeah I'm in silicon valley.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This seems ideal. Thank you.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You're in California, right? If you're anywhere south of Sacramento expect twice the salary of most of the rest of the country, not sure what Sacramento is like.

I'm getting drunk tonight, then tomorrow I'll start mapping out the case management system for the non-profit (I talked with my friend/boss about it and he said "hell yeah go for it") and looking for jobs.

If you need anyone to bounce case management ideas off of, let me know. Lord knows I've dealt with enough of them in the legal field.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

hello thread

off topic, but I have a new dog

meet the foodle

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

that's a cool dog

but did you take that photo with a fax machine?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
What brand of flip phone you got?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

lmao

I don't share photos directly, I take screenshots and crop them

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

And then run them through mspaint filters?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Have you no class? That's an original Monet if I've ever seen one.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

okay well if we're posting pets, here's two new photos of our cats :3:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't have a new dog. I have a very old dog with one eye. And he's an idiot. But I still love him.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

that's a cool dog

but did you take that photo with a fax machine?

Sickening posted:

What brand of flip phone you got?

i'm not posting cat pics when i get one in a few months because of youse two

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Apparently these can't be used with Google Voice because they're classified as a landline or some nonsense. argh
https://www.numberbarn.com/blog/get-your-number-with-google-voice

tokin opposition posted:

i'm not posting cat pics when i get one in a few months because of youse two

Look whippersnapper. One day you'll understand that all us old people can do is poke fun at each other.

Alternatively, just don't use a fax machine to take your photo.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

ok

game boy camera it is. gently caress you old man

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

ok

game boy camera it is. gently caress you old man

Anyone who knows what that is is also old.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

also it's kind of flattering to be the youngest person in the IT department by at least a decade, i already feel old as i sneak up on my 30s

tomorrow i'm doing inventory, it'll be nice to be doing things other than being taught or reading the KB

e:

KillHour posted:

Anyone who knows what that is is also old.

I had an original game boy in 2006 because it was the only thing my family could afford

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

There was a “funny” graphic that was making the rounds awhile ago about how the whole internet was depending on some unpatched open-source thingy. Anybody have it handy?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://xkcd.com/2347/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

navyjack posted:

There was a “funny” graphic that was making the rounds awhile ago about how the whole internet was depending on some unpatched open-source thingy. Anybody have it handy?

I got you.

https://xkcd.com/2347/

gently caress. That's a ban.