Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MoHAA was the testbed for the 'we're gonna put the player in a scene from a war film they just watched' and then COD1 took that and dialled it all the way up to 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

priznat posted:

Going from that to something like Arizona Sunshine is just guhhhhhh.

I kind of hate how they just did that and went back to raking in the gobs of cash from Steam but more power to them I suppose.

Yeah VR has been frustrating because the potential is there but so few publishers are willing to make this big AAA experiences for it. I'm looking forward to PSVR 2 though. Resident Evil 8 will be rad in VR

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah VR has been frustrating because the potential is there but so few publishers are willing to make this big AAA experiences for it. I'm looking forward to PSVR 2 though. Resident Evil 8 will be rad in VR

I understand it though because it doesn't lend itself to long engagement play, after like 40 minutes of playing a VR game I am done from all the standing and waving around and moving. Being sedentary on a couch/chair means much longer playtime! Even stuff you can play while seated usually requires some arm flailing which can be tiring.

Gaming is for the extremely lazy, like me! (apart from the nintendo wii fit novelty stuff)

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Vr didn’t take off this go around because nobody wants to wear that giant bullshit on their face for more than 5 mins tops

Also no games except half life

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

vr is basically the wii except marketed towards people who definitely did not like the wii

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

We used to run on the railings in MoHAA mp because they didn’t cause foot step sounds. V2 was perfect for this. Just leaning, shotties, and railings.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

priznat posted:

I understand it though because it doesn't lend itself to long engagement play, after like 40 minutes of playing a VR game I am done from all the standing and waving around and moving. Being sedentary on a couch/chair means much longer playtime! Even stuff you can play while seated usually requires some arm flailing which can be tiring.

Gaming is for the extremely lazy, like me! (apart from the nintendo wii fit novelty stuff)

When I was playing a lot of VR I didn't mind playing for a few hours straight but I'm probably in the minority.

I am weird in that I just like the extra sense of immersion and would enjoy more ports of games like the RE7 one where you can just sit back on the couch and play with a controller. I mostly just like the extra immersion. Motion aiming stuff is cool but yeah if it's a game that you move around a lot in, it's really only fun fior 40 minutes tops.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Personally the tax with VR is getting all the poo poo setup and working. Once I’m in a game I’m good, but the thought of troubleshooting stream VR or Bluetooth or lighthouses not turning on properly makes me just play rocket league instead.

Oh yeah and the entire platform peaked with Boneworks, a game from like 2 years ago lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It peaked with Alyx actually

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
That would be true if they bothered to…checks notes…put the crowbar in the god drat game!!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Yo the other day when we were posting about Kinect, I incorrectly named the game I was descirbing. Not Thru but Fru.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f_3NDVvX04

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
The power a Moga Xbox controller phone clip on Microsoft’s side for 6$ with free shipping. Can use your Microsoft store credit to buy it. Haven’t used it before but for 6$ seems worth it to try some cloud gaming with it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/d/p...xvt01bf11pwox00

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Jables88 posted:

So FarCry 5 is Ubisoft bad but otherwise good.

Plus points: it opens with you climbing a tower to unlock your map, but the guy over the radio explicitly tells you he won't keep asking you to do this.
There's a quest about the piss tape being real, including a joke about it ironically not being wetwork.

Cons: Checkpoints in missions too far apart, progress too slow and requiring too many side nonsenses.

There are three major problems with 5 - first, you get knocked unconscious and lose access to your weapons/gear more than once.
Second: The Ending is particularly egregious (the real ending, not the joke I didn't arrest cult leader dude at the beginning ending)
Third: the stand alone expac was racist as poo poo.

Other than those three things it's an above average far cry entry.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
The vote Far Cry combat loop is pretty solid, and I enjoy it a lot if I haven't played one in a year or two.

It's probably my favorite of the Ubisoft gruel.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Being a stealth ninja and using environmental things (freeing animals etc) in the FC games to clear a base is one of the best ubisoft gaming experiences.. although I liked that ghost recon in south america for a bit, until it got ridiculously samey.

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus

priznat posted:

Being a stealth ninja and using environmental things (freeing animals etc) in the FC games to clear a base is one of the best ubisoft gaming experiences..
It owns op. Stealth ninja ftw

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is there a website keeping up with a list of home brew for Xbox One \ Series X? With emulation being possible and very easy, I was wondering what else might be available.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

slave to my cravings posted:

The power a Moga Xbox controller phone clip on Microsoft’s side for 6$ with free shipping. Can use your Microsoft store credit to buy it. Haven’t used it before but for 6$ seems worth it to try some cloud gaming with it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/d/p...xvt01bf11pwox00

Awesome! Thanks. This is the one that fits the series x controller.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Darktide looks pretty fuckin rad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRAtfX-1U_g

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Farcry 5 has incredibly worse enemy AI then 3, it's unreal. They will spawn on you constantly in the middle of nowhere and are really badly coded. Also please, enough about fc5, I hate being reminded of it.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
[E-

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Yet another multi you play on your goddamn ps5

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

priznat posted:

Being a stealth ninja and using environmental things (freeing animals etc) in the FC games to clear a base is one of the best ubisoft gaming experiences.. although I liked that ghost recon in south america for a bit, until it got ridiculously samey.

The peak of Far Cry since 3 is being attacked by a leopard that is then hit by a passing car, or watching a bunch of foxes run past you before a bear chasing them mauls you to death.

Or my favorite, hunting a pig for 15 minutes in early game when you're weak and then watching an eagle swoop down and pick it up and fly away while you fire arrows at it screaming "gently caress you you mother loving eagle that's my god drat pig put it down!" And either watching it fly away in vain or actually nailing it out of the sky and celebrating over the combined eagle and pig haul you got.

And THEN get mauled by a leopard.

The problem with FC5 is it didn't have enough of that. The organized chaos engine poo poo was all tuned to militias driving up on you and not the fun stuff.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

"organized chaos" in a video game always reminds me of the hilarious chaos that was Saints Row 2. That hasn't had so many systems influencing each other, there was always something going wrong in funny ways - without you even interacting with it.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Sywert of Thieves posted:

"organized chaos" in a video game always reminds me of the hilarious chaos that was Saints Row 2. That hasn't had so many systems influencing each other, there was always something going wrong in funny ways - without you even interacting with it.

Yeah in FC's case they basically set AI behaviors to react dynamically among each other - animals hunt, flee, graze, etc and just spawn stuff in biome specific ways and let the AI figure out what it'll do. In FC3 and 4 and to a lesser extent Primal you get some really nice emergent experiences. There's a limit to the AI units and geographic space, but early hours of 3/4 when you're weak with little tools and animals are just rampaging around and you're trying to get a handle on it and achieve small goals is pretty novel and good. In Far Cry 3 it also serves as a good narrative structure.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

yah the animal stuff in FC3 and 4 was really neat. felt bad slaughtering like a dozen rare pumas so you could have a bag to store a couple more arrows in though :haw:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Disposable Scud posted:

No way this is gamepass day 1 :getin:

I actually don't even think it's coming to playstation until later

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Divinity 2 is the best organized chaos game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Disposable Scud posted:

Why would I play it on a last gen console?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm all for console fanboy jokes but that one doesn't even make sense

Barudak
May 7, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I'm all for console fanboy jokes but that one doesn't even make sense

Its not a joke. Not having quick resume (and to some extent smart delivery) makes the PS5 feel last gen to me. Its a PS4-3

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Barudak posted:

Its not a joke. Not having quick resume (and to some extent smart delivery) makes the PS5 feel last gen to me. Its a PS4-3

agreed op. some of the games are good but the firmware on the FS5 is truly garbage

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Barudak posted:

yeah that's not how generations work

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Generations are a social construct

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Quick resume is awesome and I used it a lot early on when I was trying gamepass for the first time and had Game ADHD but these days I've settled into playing one or two games a month and not changing off often (Thanks Elden Ring)

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
I resent a game when it doesn't support quick resume, especially since I switched to fully turning off my console instead of using the rest mode or whatever it's called.

I'm playing The Good Life and not only does it not support quick resume, it also only has one manual save spot you have to physically visit. It sucks.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I am going to make a piece of physical art representing the PC gamepass app so I can throw it out of a window after setting it on fire

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

yeah that's not how generations work

The Wii was GameCube-2 because it was two GameCubes duct taped together

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the ps5 is called that because it’s 5 turds duct tape together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004