Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Ibblebibble posted:

Big fishing RNG just shotgunned me in the kneecap, didn't manage to reel in any Unconditionals during its window, for what's supposed to be one of the easiest legendary fish to get as long as you're there during its window. Guess I gotta wait until Sunday for the next chance.

It's "easy" in a relative sense but it will still probably take multiple window attempts. It's one of those fish that's entirely luck based. Ealad Skaan is the Shadowbringers equivalent and it was still the last legendary I caught despite there being a few that are way harder to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Our entire military "career," such as it is, is pretty weird. It's nominally an experimental squad, hence why we get to be promoted well above our actual command size, and all the personnel are raw recruits trained internally for special operations.

If anything it seems like someone's pet project that's ready to lead a coup.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Zomborgon posted:

Our entire military "career," such as it is, is pretty weird. It's nominally an experimental squad, hence why we get to be promoted well above our actual command size, and all the personnel are raw recruits trained internally for special operations.

It does feel vaguely vestigial, like a lot of things from ARR that were sort of vaguely like Warcraft, except of course they didn't go anywhere near hard enough to build up tribal identities, and had three to begin with anyway. Now there's like ten polities the WoL could probably settle in and be hailed as a welcome guest and honorary assistant mayor.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The Unconditional is funny because it's the only case afaik where there is only one other fish available there with the right bait, so Surface Slap getting added later meant you could get a bite every single cast. But it still has a crazy escape rate of like 75 or 80% or something so it's not shocking to take more than one window.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Zomborgon posted:

Another reason the Flames are the logical, canon choice.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Really it's missed its shot for that plot beat as far as Ul'dah's concerned.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Martman posted:

The Unconditional is funny because it's the only case afaik where there is only one other fish available there with the right bait, so Surface Slap getting added later meant you could get a bite every single cast. But it still has a crazy escape rate of like 75 or 80% or something so it's not shocking to take more than one window.

Oh yeah I caught it in Stormblood before Surface Slap existed so I didn't even think of that.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The WoL is a superhero, Captain Eorzea. Your military career is propaganda to inspire the ordinary citizens and get adventurers to sign up to be cannon fodder.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Martman posted:

The Mogpom big fish in HW is equivalent, with the right bait it's isolatable. That's how I got it.

I didn't realise its escape rate was quite that high, goddamn. Most stuff I had seen made me think that it was a gimme as long as you showed up.

Edit: I just remembered that fishing hole in Namai that's literally only the regular fish and its big fish equivalent, that's another easy isolate.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 13, 2022

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The Grand Company stuff feels really vestigial to the story and only exists as a gameplay element because there was a time when MMOs all needed color coded factions for players to join

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Zomborgon posted:

wol team six lol

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I want to get back in to crafting, but my gear is horribly out of date and my levels are all over the place due to needing to pick and choose with GC turn ins because of how much stuff costs. What's the best way to get back on track to be able to actually make things? I imagine I should get everything up to the highest level I have and not touch the one that is highest so I can get out of my ARR gear at 60ish crafting

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I'd work on your lowest first and try to equalize levels, so you can have as few sets of crafter gear as possible. Grand Company turn-ins, the Ishgardian Restoration collectable turn-ins, Custom Deliveries, and any available tribal quests (Ixal at ARR levels, then Moogles from 50-60) are good powerleveling options.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Blockhouse posted:

The Grand Company stuff feels really vestigial to the story and only exists as a gameplay element because there was a time when MMOs all needed color coded factions for players to join

You can definitely tell ARR was from that era where every single MMO decided that three-sided PvP was a good idea for some reason.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, I'd work on your lowest first and try to equalize levels, so you can have as few sets of crafter gear as possible. Grand Company turn-ins, the Ishgardian Restoration collectable turn-ins, Custom Deliveries, and any available tribal quests (Ixal at ARR levels, then Moogles from 50-60) are good powerleveling options.

Alright, I got several things at 59 so I guess I'll stop when they're at 60 then push everything up. Nice round number with fresh expansion gear

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Robo Reagan posted:

Alright, I got several things at 59 so I guess I'll stop when they're at 60 then push everything up. Nice round number with fresh expansion gear

Also, while the crafter dailies require you to finish with whatever class you started with, you aren't required to actually stay in that class for the actual crafting. If you get one leveled, you can use that to do dailies for everything else and not have to worry about gearing the other crafters.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Also, do your job quests if you haven't (just buy the turn-ins if you have to) -- the XP isn't amazing, but it's not trivial, and they reward crafter gear.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
haha, yikes

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

If you're levelling crafters I think it's actually better to have at least some spread out so you can take advantage of more beast tribe dailies. If you have someone in the 50-60 range, someone in 60-70 and someone in 70-80 you can do all three expansion's beast tribe every day

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah that's going to get in the way of me unlocking Vanu head/dance and namazu palanquin. I have my priorities :v:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Irregular maintenance always hits when I'm in a groove. :mad:

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

If you aren't already doing so keeping your gatherers leveled alongside your crafters is also a good idea since they can grab mats to make things to gear/level the crafters. Also there's a DoL only beast tribe that is extremely cute and good

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

GloomMouse posted:

If you aren't already doing so keeping your gatherers leveled alongside your crafters is also a good idea since they can grab mats to make things to gear/level the crafters. Also there's a DoL only beast tribe that is extremely cute and good

The one in Shadowbringers? Yeah those are cute.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Just level crafters through the firmament. It's the most straight forward and fastest way to do it. Do the beast tribes and stuff with one job to unlock the stuff but after that might as well just grind them out.

This is the guide i use.

https://ffxivgillionaire.com/crafter-leveling-guide

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ibblebibble posted:

The Mogpom big fish in HW is equivalent, with the right bait it's isolatable. That's how I got it.

I didn't realise its escape rate was quite that high, goddamn. Most stuff I had seen made me think that it was a gimme as long as you showed up.

Edit: I just remembered that fishing hole in Namai that's literally only the regular fish and its big fish equivalent, that's another easy isolate.
That's fair, it's all become quite a blur to me. I had done the Feast of Famine quest years ago, and then over the last seven months or so finally returned to fishing and caught everything. Pretty much went insane in the process.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Martman posted:

That's fair, it's all become quite a blur to me. I had done the Feast of Famine quest years ago, and then over the last seven months or so finally returned to fishing and caught everything. Pretty much went insane in the process.

Funnily enough I found myself in the exact same situation. Did FoF a while back, and decided to get started on big fishing instead of doing another relic. Been pretty fun so far.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Extremely minor Shadowbringers character spoilers: why can't I throw cards like Urlanger, this is not fair

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Dragongem posted:

Extremely minor Shadowbringers character spoilers: why can't I throw cards like Urlanger, this is not fair

It's a trick he picked up when he was the protagonist of a Yu-Gi-Oh anime.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Dragongem posted:

The next video I'm writing has a whole paragraph going over how this minor part of a scene is both understatedly important and cool as poo poo.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Robo Reagan posted:

Once you're there, don't feel bad about asking if another crafter can whip you up a set of 61 gear. Not only is it better than scrip gear, with trained eye it's easy to craft hq as long as you bring materials. The HW and stb high level crafting materials can all be bought (at a premium) from vendors in the expansion city, so it's trivial to get materials if you have a bit of Gil to spend.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

GloomMouse posted:

Also there's a DoL only beast tribe that is extremely cute and good

The level 80+ beast tribe coming in 6.2 will also be DoL-only.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
aw, I was hoping it would be 2 combats and a L/H 3rd

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Their generally-settled pattern nowadays is one combat, one DoL, and one DoH. IIRC, Yoshida said that it's hard to make combat-based Tribes especially engaging as it is, both in terms of gameplay and story, so spreading out the tribes to encompass different parts of gameplay can at least encourage people to try leveling up a job they might not've otherwise touched.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
That's.... Extremely reasonable

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
They need to go back and make Ixal not a hellslog then.

Because Ixal are a hellslog.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Yes but also I kept the Ixal gloves for way longer than they were relevant because of the questline

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Yeah the combat tribes typically have pit you in a few scuffles as a natural consequence of "adventurer" gameplay, which is already spread thin at times, where the crafter and/or gatherers can have those roles more cohesively built into a story.

Hell, half the combat quests tend to be gathering quests anyway, sometimes by targeting wildlife instead. Even still, often enough you're doing things such taking tree scrapings like the botanist you very much aren't playing (at that moment).

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

All the ARR beast tribes sucked, not just Ixal. The combat ones are only bearable now because you can do them while flying and high enough level that random mobs don't aggro you

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Yeah I can't imagine trying to do the timed carrying missions while still at an aggroable level, particularly for the sylphs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
They weren't bad, and learning how to stealth around things helped later in PotD and Eureka / Bozja.