Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Elephant Ambush posted:

My main question is this: what are the meaningful differences between all the different Sony 65" 4K TVs? I did a search on Amazon and my local large electronics dealer and there are at least 5 different models that all seem very similar. As I said, I haven't bought a new TV in 15 years and even though I read the OP I still can't really tell the difference between all the models

Is there an easy simple answer to this question?
Like Morestuff asked, a large part of the determination is your budget. You can totally get a 65" TV for like $350 but image quality and support may be lacking for you

Your given use is for PS5 gaming and movie streaming. The high end stuff for PS5 you want on the TV will be Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), HDMI 2.1 (or whatever it's called now) so you can have 4k/120hz.

Browsing Best Buy, it looks like these are the main differences:

*4K TV- aka UHD. pretty much all the tvs you buy now are 4k, though it's arguable if there's "enough" content for them. 8k is being talked about but is way expensive and not worth it at the moment. Note that the streaming services offering "4K" are still, bitrate wise, lighter than a UHD disc on a UHD player. Whether it's noticeable to you, meh.

HDR- High Dynamic Range. Makes brights in scenes pop and makes darks in scenes inky black without being crushed to hell. Lots of Tvs say they're HDR capable but that's not always the case.

Local Dimming / Full Array / FALD - basically how the backlight system adapts to bright and dark scenes to implement HDR content. Local dimming breaks up the backlight into zones that can change brightness independently (so a candle in the dark would ideally hilite the flame primarily). This prevents "blooming" (when bright scene elements bleed over into dark scene elements). More zones, or individually controlled pixels, mean better quality.

LED - pretty bog standard backlight system. Low power, decent brightness.

MiniLED - smaller version of LED backlights. A holdover until microleds get cheap enough to use. More responsive backlight system than LED.

OLED - individual light-emissive 'pixels'. Best contrast, but won't reach some of the insane brights of LED (still great though).

FYI, pretty much all TVs have Smart features. Google TV (which seems to be Sony's preferred OS) requires internet connection for setup IIRC, as may Roku. After than you can unplug it and run your streaming device of choice if it's a concern.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

morestuff posted:

What’s your budget?

Probably around $1000. I can go a little higher but I'm hoping Prime Day has discounts on the TVs I'm interested in

Edit: thanks for the info above. I don't have any interest in any of the weird online features and it's bizarre to me that TVs even connect to the internet at all. I don't want to talk to Alexa and I don't want Bezos data mining everything my wife and I say. I just want a TV that lets me get the most out of my PS5 games and has a nice picture for TV and movies. I'll definitely disable all that online poo poo and leave it disconnected from my wifi

Oh and I have a surround sound receiver that I sometimes plug my laptop into so I can use my TV for Steam games but it's a lovely old laptop with a dumpy graphics card so that's not really a priority until I eventually upgrade to a nice desktop with a good video card

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 11, 2022

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
One thing that's somewhat cool if your receiver is newish (under 10 years or so)

ARC & eARC allows you to connect the TV and pass audio/video signals through to the receiver without a bunch of cables. Just an HDMI cord and anything connected to your TV passes through to the receiver and vice-versa.

eARC is supposed to pass through ATMOS type stuff.

Usually the ARC port is specifically labelled on both the TV and receiver.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Elephant Ambush posted:

My 15yo TV is finally dying and Prime Day is coming up so I'm going to buy a new TV. I need a little help

Almost everything in my house is Sony and I like them as a brand so I want a Sony 65" 4K TV mostly because my wife got me a PS5 for my birthday and I want to be able to fully utilize the 4K and I want to minimize burn in

I have most of the modern game consoles and my wife and I watch Netflix and Prime and we also have movies on our Plex server

My main question is this: what are the meaningful differences between all the different Sony 65" 4K TVs? I did a search on Amazon and my local large electronics dealer and there are at least 5 different models that all seem very similar. As I said, I haven't bought a new TV in 15 years and even though I read the OP I still can't really tell the difference between all the models

Is there an easy simple answer to this question?

IMHO, the 2021 Sony models worth buying are the X90J (LCD) or A80J (OLED). These are reasonably priced (for their segment) and get you a good TV. Mayybe consider the X85J as well, if you are looking for the lowest price, but I'm not sure if it's much less than the X90J. The A80J OLED will have the best image quality, but depending how you use your TV there may be some risk of burn in. The Sony models below the X85J are not very good.

The corresponding 2022 models I'd consider are the X90K (LCD) and the A80K (OLED), but those are new enough that I don't really know as much about them. They should be good, but probably not a big leap ahead of the 2021 models.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

poo poo, I didn't think things through properly. A 65" in the store seems so small, but I've just measured it where I want it on the wall and what the gently caress. It's a chonker. I'm currently trying to tetris my living room to make things fit, no clue if it's gonna work lol

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Qubee posted:

poo poo, I didn't think things through properly. A 65" in the store seems so small, but I've just measured it where I want it on the wall and what the gently caress. It's a chonker. I'm currently trying to tetris my living room to make things fit, no clue if it's gonna work lol

1 week and you'll want a bigger TV.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm shopping for a (budget) 75" and was poking around on Rtings and I didn't realize the Hisense Dual Cell (where they sandwich two panels together) actually came out. And they like it a lot. I'm sure this is old news, but I had sort of forgotten about it ha.

quote:

The Hisense 75U9DG is the best 75-inch TV we've tested for home theaters. It delivers stunning picture quality in dark rooms and looks almost as good as OLED TVs. It uses a unique dual panel technology that stacks two LCD panels on top of each other. It helps it achieve the best contrast ratio we've tested on any LED TV, and there's minimal blooming around bright objects, which is important for watching movies in dark rooms.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Qubee posted:

Yeah we upgraded from a 55" 1080p Samsung that was over 10 years old to a 65" LG C1 and in store 55 v 65 seemed like nothing. I wanted to go bigger but our living room TV sets inside built in shelves which limited our size and the C1 was actually one of the few 65" TVs that would fit (It's 33.9" with the stand and the shelf is something like ~34.5" tall.

Before and after (god those loving bezels, before shot was also before we installed blinds in our sunroom)

The cats never really cared about birds on TV before the OLED strangely

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

BonoMan posted:

I'm shopping for a (budget) 75" and was poking around on Rtings and I didn't realize the Hisense Dual Cell (where they sandwich two panels together) actually came out.

It has already been discontinued.

jisforjosh posted:

The cats never really cared about birds on TV before the OLED strangely

Those shelves provide free ambilight.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 11, 2022

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

MikusR posted:

It has already been discontinued.

Haha of course.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
So am I understanding this correctly? OLED TVs have the best picture quality but have a high risk of burn if I leave too many video games paused for too long?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

So am I understanding this correctly? OLED TVs have the best picture quality but have a high risk of burn if I leave too many video games paused for too long?

It's not just pausing, it's static elements. So you game may be moving around but things like the crosshair or UI/HUD elements can be burned in. It's definitely more prevalent when using as a PC monitor, mixed usage between gaming and media viewing shouldn't cause as much burn in.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My OLED puts the screen black after 5 mins if I have a video game paused.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Got it, thanks. If I end up getting an OLED I'll make sure to just turn it off if I have to pause for an extended period of time

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I went down the burn in rabbit hole today and it's really not as big a risk as we all seem to think it is? Some guy had the TV running for 9000 hours and burn-in was minimal except for obvious stuff like CNN with the logo. Some guy on Reddit summed it up perfectly: don't worry about burn in, especially if you're playing a game every day for a few hours with some mixed viewing after. Only start to worry about burn in if you're watching CNN or something like that literally all day every day in the background.

I'm not gonna fuss too much about burn in. If I wanna play a game that has static HUD elements, I'm not gonna worry over it. The rest of the time, watching TV shows or movies, I don't see the risk of burn in happening. I never really watch the news, it's too depressing, I read it instead. So that's my opinion on the matter.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah OLEDs don't burn in the same way plasmas did. Plasma burn in was caused by static imagery damaging the panel in a relatively short amount of time. OLEDs just have a limited life span and that is per subpixel. So subpixels that are bright all the time grow dim faster than those that aren't. It's a cumulative effect, not a sudden one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, and the conventional plasma wisdom of "run something else for awhile" doesn't apply with OLED. That works for temporary image retention which comes from uneven charge along the backplane, but won't help stave off burn in if it's going to occur.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Any upcoming notable 43 inch tvs on the horizon? I wish TCL would make a 5 series in that size again.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

SeANMcBAY posted:

Any upcoming notable 43 inch tvs on the horizon? I wish TCL would make a 5 series in that size again.

The LG C2 42" is out now. If you need a quality small TV, it takes the win hands down.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-42-class-c2-series-oled-evo-4k-uhd-smart-webos-tv/6501500.p?skuId=6501500

A little pricy for the size, but you'll be sure there's nothing else that will probably be better for the next decade or so.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yeah, no way in hell I’d pay that much for any tv, let alone a 42 inch one. Maybe when it gets a price cut in a year.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah, no way in hell I’d pay that much for any tv, let alone a 42 inch one. Maybe when it gets a price cut in a year.

Now’s your chance

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1546726011512901632?s=21&t=2rII_TQ9Sjix7-47N2R6GQ

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Got my TV! Sony XR65A80K. It says it has "exclusive features for the PS5" which made me laugh and had no bearing on my decision but we'll see what those "features" are when it gets here

Thanks to all the goons who gave me info and advice!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

TV was supposed to be scheduled for 10am-1pm today. I called the delivery driver twice, no answer. Left him multiple messages. No replies. I contacted the actual electronics store to let them know the end of my scheduled delivery window was fast approaching and there was no sign whatsoever of the delivery team. They assured me it'd be with me before 4pm.

Long story short, they lied. Delivery driver answered his phone at 3:58pm right before he clocked off for work, and said he returned the TV as there was no response when they called the attached number. The attached number isn't mine, for some reason some random number was put in when I ordered and I didn't notice.

Mad angry. Supposedly will be here first thing tomorrow morning but I'm doubtful. I wasted 6 hours of my day today sitting at home like an idiot waiting for this delivery that I was really excited for.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

If you're a Costco member and have been holding out for the LG C1 to get cheaper (somehow) or have been on the fence...my Costco just ran out of stock for the 65" C1 just after I got mine.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

jisforjosh posted:

If you're a Costco member and have been holding out for the LG C1 to get cheaper (somehow) or have been on the fence...my Costco just ran out of stock for the 65" C1 just after I got mine.

65” C1’s are also up $100-$200 at most retailers today.

They are $1599 at Costco until 7/17, and you can order them free ship.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The S95B QD OLED is currently $2599 (down from $2999) AND includes a $200 gift card if anyone is in the market for one. I doubt anyone is beating this package for a long time.

I'm just amazed at the price trajectory of this TV. $2999 is already very low for a new TV tech and $400 +200 gift card after just a couple of months is sweet!

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

Got my TV! Sony XR65A80K. It says it has "exclusive features for the PS5" which made me laugh and had no bearing on my decision but we'll see what those "features" are when it gets here

Thanks to all the goons who gave me info and advice!

It's supposed to auto calibrate HDR for PS5 but it ends up doing it wrong so all the HDR highlights are blown out.

Animale fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 12, 2022

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

65” C1’s are also up $100-$200 at most retailers today.

They are $1599 at Costco until 7/17, and you can order them free ship.

Yep, Best Buy is up $100. Definitely the tail end of supply. The G1 is only $100 more now

LG - 65" Class G1 Series OLED evo 4K - $1799

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 12, 2022

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Taima posted:

The S95B QD OLED is currently $2599 (down from $2999) AND includes a $200 gift card if anyone is in the market for one. I doubt anyone is beating this package for a long time.

I'm just amazed at the price trajectory of this TV. $2999 is already very low for a new TV tech and $400 +200 gift card after just a couple of months is sweet!

Please don't buy Samsung TVs

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The downward price pressure on the Samsung QD OLEDs is that they are such a marginal upgrade over the LG OLEDs but they are priced a size up.

For $3499 you can get an 77" LG C2, you would be crazy to spend $3k on a 65" QD OLED, the picture quality increase does not outweigh the size increase.

Samsung wanted to create a new premium TV tier with these sets and the market just isn't there.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

codo27 posted:

Please don't buy Samsung TVs

What's wrong with Samsung TVs? I just sold my 77" TU7000 and I felt really bad seeing it go. Coming from a non-smart TV, it really seemed stocked with smart features and free TV channels and everything, and it's apparently a pretty cheap model.

My LG C1 is due on Friday! Can someone explain how I'd go about doing proper calibration? I keep reading that the calibration isn't great out of the box, but I can't find a description of what that actually entails besides vague "getting the best color settings".

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Phenotype posted:

What's wrong with Samsung TVs? I just sold my 77" TU7000 and I felt really bad seeing it go. Coming from a non-smart TV, it really seemed stocked with smart features and free TV channels and everything, and it's apparently a pretty cheap model.

My LG C1 is due on Friday! Can someone explain how I'd go about doing proper calibration? I keep reading that the calibration isn't great out of the box, but I can't find a description of what that actually entails besides vague "getting the best color settings".

Sites like Rtings have recommended settings but there real answer is just to mess around until it looks how you like it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Using online calibration settings is literally no better than just eyeballing it. Every panel has variances. The calibration that the a review site is not necessarily more accurate than how it came from the factory because yours could have been off in a completely different way.

To be clear, I'm talking about white balance settings mostly. The only way you can set those properly is with software and a meter.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The new HBO documentary Edge of the Earth is just wonderfully beautiful. It’s a great one to put a new TV through its paces.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I'm sorely tempted by the Costco LG 65" C1 deal, but I'm also surprisingly content with my lovely refurb Samsung 44" LED from 2014 from when that was the best I could afford. I guess it's to my benefit to have abysmally low standards, but I get the intense pang to upgrade and splurge at least twice a year, thus far with no ultimate purchase.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there a guide on how to make the most out of Plex? Or any advice from you guys if I have a bunch of shows and movies on my PC that I want to seamlessly be able to watch from the TV wirelessly.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Qubee posted:

Is there a guide on how to make the most out of Plex? Or any advice from you guys if I have a bunch of shows and movies on my PC that I want to seamlessly be able to watch from the TV wirelessly.

There is a dedicated plex thread here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3620605&pagenumber=1

nightbae smokewheat
Feb 11, 2011

jisforjosh posted:

Yep, Best Buy is up $100. Definitely the tail end of supply. The G1 is only $100 more now

LG - 65" Class G1 Series OLED evo 4K - $1799

Amazon also currently prices the 65" G1 $100 more than the 65" C1. I'm in the market for a 65" OLED, both prices are in my budget, and my use case is TV, movies, and streaming. Over the last few pages I see a lot of love for the C1, but in my case is there any reason not to pay the extra $100 for the G1?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The G1 is meant to be wall-mounted only?

I think that's it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightbae smokewheat
Feb 11, 2011

Ah, yes. Whatever I buy will replace the pathetically tiny 55" on the wall.