Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Charliegrs posted:

So 84 probably means Heil Donald to these wackos

1 2 3 4
A B C D

...son of a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I think the Dems + Cheney are doing too good of a job tbh

It’s going to be difficult for them to satisfy the people that have been watching this closely without trials. If not, they’re going to have to explain why. And letting anyone walk for this is probably worse for the country long term. And at the end they’ll just have disappointed and pissed off their own voters (again) and emboldened the the right even more.

And this is assuming the Dems even want the DOJ to prosecute, and biden doesn’t plan on using this as a “look forward not back” moment to gain like 1.5% in the north Atlanta suburbs.

They might be backing themselves into a corner where they HAVE to do something unprecedented and we all know how the Dems feel about that.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jul 13, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

FizFashizzle posted:

It’s going to be difficult for them to satisfy the people that have been watching this closely without trials. If not, they’re going to have to explain why. And letting anyone walk for this is probably worse for the country long term. And at the end they’ll just have disappointed and pissed off their own voters (again) and emboldened the the right even more.

And this is assuming the Dems even want the DOJ to prosecute, and biden doesn’t plan on using this as a “look forward not back” moment to gain like 1.5% in the north Atlanta suburbs.

They might be backing themselves into a corner where they HAVE to do something unprecedented and we all know how the Dems feel about that.

Using my precog skills and basic pattern recognition, it will be a massive anticlimax, Dems will do nothing (maybe throw a couple of hillbilly chud nobodies in jail), the majority of the country will either shrug or reconfim their belief that Dems are Worthless, massive red wave in 22 and 24

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

pthighs posted:

Putting aside for a moment that Orson Scott Card is a terrible person...

I read Ender's Game in the early aughts, and one of my big impressions was that it bugged me how easily Ender's siblings were able to manipulate public opinion with online propaganda. Surely it couldn't be like that! It seemed like hacky, lazy writing.

But no, it turns out it really is that easy.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Gonna paraphrase Raskin real quick.
When asked if the committee knows anything about the calls Mark Meadows made to Flynn and Stone the night beforee J6, he replied only "Our investigation is ongoing. We know more today than we knew during the impeachment trial about these connections and relationships but we hope to know a lot more in a month or two than we do today."
Coming from him, I take that to mean further hearings on TV are most definitely possible after the Sarah Matthews hearing next week.

Also, this is not my original thought, it was posted upthread, but I really want to blare this out in bright red light: So much for "Trump is too well-trained as a mob boss to get caught putting his own thumbprint on anything." Trump himself reached out to a witness after the Cassidy Hutchinson hearing.

I wonder if the person Trump tried to call who we have not heard from yet was Sarah Matthews. There is no way Trump would try to bully young women, right?

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

I don't necessarily disagree with this, except even they realize at this point they have to try to succeed at something big if they don't want to be out of power for a long time (at best), and since they're not willing to do any Hail Mary plays on forcing decently good legislation through, this is all they've got. They've well and truly run out of time to keep playing the "lose as cautiously and gradually as possible" game.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Has this popped up in the hearings?

https://twitter.com/MotherJones/status/1546930628284731394?t=kE0ztWotKnxYh1M9BPPDEA&s=19

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

I know I saw it making the rounds yesterday, so I think so.

Least surprising news ever. Its like reporting that the sky is blue.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
One thing I've always wondered. If the guys who stormed the capital were armed for war and had guns and other things, why was there not as much bloodshed as there could have been? Did the cops just get the gently caress out of the way after they got in and only defended critical areas (such as that area where that woman was shot)? Cops intentionally tried to NOT provoke them any further and let the mob burn itself out?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Cimber posted:

One thing I've always wondered. If the guys who stormed the capital were armed for war and had guns and other things, why was there not as much bloodshed as there could have been? Did the cops just get the gently caress out of the way after they got in and only defended critical areas (such as that area where that woman was shot)? Cops intentionally tried to NOT provoke them any further and let the mob burn itself out?

Most of the crowd was not armed. The idea was that the smaller, organized execution squads were going to blend in and use the crowd's momentum to get them to where they needed to be, and once they found the Senators and MOC's, then they would take over and round up congresscritters for..... whatever they intended to do. They never found their targets and eventually slunk off.

There was just a whole lot of the crowd not meeting much resistance, being subtly and cleverly redirected, and wandering around empty hallways in confusion. Any point where there was something that needed to be defended, there sometimes was a way to redirect the stupid orcs into chasing a shiny object down some other hallways. The one time the police actually had to make a firm stand, they killed one attacker to make it clear that it was going to be carnage if they pushed on and so the crowd backed off.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
They also had caches of weapons just outside of DC:

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/01/19/oath-keepers-jan-6-weapons-cache-527359

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Cimber posted:

Rigel covers a lot of it, but your guess is also partially correct. I remember the day of and the security/police eating a lot of poo poo on here for opening sone of the barricades for the mob, but that's actually SOP in a lot of places when a position is in danger of being overrun. It keeps the crowd from growing even more violent, and a broken barricade can be turned fairly easily into yet more weapons.

Then there was that lone security dude who agitated the crowd just enough to follow him down an empty hallway in another direction from the real congress.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

pthighs posted:

I read Ender's Game in the early aughts, and one of my big impressions was that it bugged me how easily Ender's siblings were able to manipulate public opinion with online propaganda. Surely it couldn't be like that! It seemed like hacky, lazy writing.

I often think about how poorly this aged:

https://xkcd.com/635/

How do you figure out when an xkcd strip was published, anyway?

efb

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 13, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Rigel posted:

I think we can be pretty confident now that Trump will be indicted for some extremely serious felonies and the DOJ will probably take at least one good crack at a trial before 2024.

"Getting off" at this point would probably be some secret MAGA chud hanging the jury, which unfortunately is pretty likely.

Or a MAGA appointed judge who probably has ties to the whole thing somehow but won't recuse himself. I can see a few people going down - maybe even some bigger names - but I don't expect the massive punishment that this crime truly merits to come to fruition. And I especially don't see Trump going to jail or even being arrested.

I will be elated if I am wrong

E

Also, I'm not quite sure what Biden might think "looking forward" might accomplish if he decides nothing should be done about this considering he's facing an absolute slaughter in the mid terms, historically low approval ratings, no one wants him office right now and his won party doesn't want him to run in 2024. The hell does he have to look forward to? Or the nation for that matter?

And someone (who has never been caught) planted pipe bombs

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 13, 2022

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Xander77 posted:

I often think about how poorly this aged:

https://xkcd.com/635/

How do you figure out when an xkcd strip was published, anyway?

efb

Either hover over the title in the archive, or check the wiki. In this case, September 11 2009.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Veryslightlymad posted:

Rigel covers a lot of it, but your guess is also partially correct. I remember the day of and the security/police eating a lot of poo poo on here for opening sone of the barricades for the mob, but that's actually SOP in a lot of places when a position is in danger of being overrun. It keeps the crowd from growing even more violent, and a broken barricade can be turned fairly easily into yet more weapons.

Then there was that lone security dude who agitated the crowd just enough to follow him down an empty hallway in another direction from the real congress.

This is some whitewashing. Capitol and DC police were complicit. If the crowd were anything other than chuds their pulped remains would have been cleaned off the capitol steps with a hose. Weird how the riot shields, mounted police and guns are in full force when roe was overturned.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Or a MAGA appointed judge who probably has ties to the whole thing somehow but won't recuse himself. I can see a few people going down - maybe even some bigger names - but I don't expect the massive punishment that this crime truly merits to come to fruition. And I especially don't see Trump going to jail or even being arrested.

E

Also, I'm not quite sure what Biden might think "looking forward" might accomplish if he decides nothing should be done about this considering he's facing an absolute slaughter in the mid terms, historically low approval ratings, no one wants him office right now and his won party doesn't want him to run in 2024. The hell does he have to look forward to? Or the nation for that matter?

And someone (who has never been caught) planted pipe bombs

Yeah I want them to ask the OathKeepers about that one under oath after hearing they were offering explosives training.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

BiggerBoat posted:

E

There is a bet running around in this thread somewhere that he's indicted by the end of summer (or was it end of September, I forget which) I would pay 25 bucks to a Ukrainian charity. Want in?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

deathbysnusnu posted:

Weird how the riot shields, mounted police and guns are in full force when roe was overturned.

Yeah, because Trump made sure that security was at an absolute minimum on 1/6. The cops who were there had to deal with what they had.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Cimber posted:

There is a bet running around in this thread somewhere that he's indicted by the end of summer (or was it end of September, I forget which) I would pay 25 bucks to a Ukrainian charity. Want in?

I'm broke as gently caress

Rigel posted:

Yeah, because Trump made sure that security was at an absolute minimum on 1/6. The cops who were there had to deal with what they had.

There's a common refrain going around in MAGA circles that the insurrections were invited in and didn't storm anything. They post videos of the cops falling back as proof of this and ignore the 600 other videos showing these idiots taking the police lines by force. And the ones that did were Antifa plants and so forth.

If they'd executed Pelosi and Pence on a livestream they'd say it was a deep fake financed by Soros or some poo poo.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 13, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

OgNar posted:

So, this happened on crazy social media

https://twitter.com/DJTTracker/status/1546132388530585602

Which somehow gained enough traction that Reuters, APNews and Politifact all had to make an article about it.

https://twitter.com/ReutersFacts/status/1546831177780056064

i am always curious how these folks like breath and poo poo. world isnt assassins creed dipshits. your getting fed bullshit by conmen and nuts and you need to validate it because you think your special or your dumb as gently caress.

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm broke as gently caress

There's a common refrain going around in MAGA circles that the insurrections were invited in and didn't storm anything. They post videos of the cops falling back as proof of this and ignore the 600 other videos showing these idiots taking the police lines by force. And the ones that did were Antifa plants and so forth.

If they'd executed Pelosi and Pence on a livestream they'd say it was a deep fake financed by Soros or some poo poo.
poo poo like that makes me worried what world we would be in if they had gotten romney or pelosi or even gotten to pence.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

pthighs posted:

Yeah that's how we have a Marcos back in charge in the Phillipines. Propaganda really works.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am always curious how these folks like breath and poo poo. world isnt assassins creed dipshits. your getting fed bullshit by conmen and nuts and you need to validate it because you think your special or your dumb as gently caress.

poo poo like that makes me worried what world we would be in if they had gotten romney or pelosi or even gotten to pence.

the world would be better off if they had "gotten" any of those ghouls.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I'm inclined to agree that they are ghouls and should be removed from power, but the world and country would likely be worse if they had been "gotten" by the OK/PB assassination squads.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
This article from march sure takes on a different air given what we now know

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/mar/04/roger-stone-trump-election-jared-kushner

ima go with that's a no dawg

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 13, 2022

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Pence might have made for a Thomas Beckett figure, whose death (called for by Trump in a manner not unlike that of Henry II) would have shocked enough of the conservative establishment to rally behind some sort of election reform/punishment of the criminals responsible. He was/is one of theirs, and dismemberment by a mob might have been enough to break through their shell of bullshit.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Trump would have gotten the excuse he beeded to declare martial law, and would be king by now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

maybe but my guess is poo poo would have been way worse and i am unsure :mittens: or pelosi or AOC get murdered or worse by chuds. poo poo would have ended badly, maybe way worse acceleration or maybe it would have imploded the GOP. who knows.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Rigel posted:

The same cops who show up with apcs and more guns than a battalion just forgot those things were in their toolkits? DC police doesn’t take orders from trump and absolutely could have done more but half of them took the day off to join in on the festivities. This is absolutely a case of chuds getting help from the police.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

deathbysnusnu posted:

The same cops who show up with apcs and more guns than a battalion just forgot those things were in their toolkits? DC police doesn’t take orders from trump and absolutely could have done more but half of them took the day off to join in on the festivities. This is absolutely a case of chuds getting help from the police.

that but also alot of it also is cops thinking they are safe around chuds because "look see they support us" and then got caught off guard because chuds don't give a gently caress about pigs when their king calls them to battle.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Pence might have made for a Thomas Beckett figure, whose death (called for by Trump in a manner not unlike that of Henry II) would have shocked enough of the conservative establishment to rally behind some sort of election reform/punishment of the criminals responsible. He was/is one of theirs, and dismemberment by a mob might have been enough to break through their shell of bullshit.

...For like a day or two. Then the wave would wash back in and they'd all be back on board and celebrating that Trump oversaw the death of his own vice president. We saw it basically happen with every Republican congressman and senator immediately after the capitol attack; after a moment of shock, the fog settled back in and they all went back to Trump.

They always go back to Trump.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Newsmax Greg Kelly is suggesting that Lord and Savior Trumpo just buttdialed that witness.
And thats the story they are sticking to.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Cops have about as much interest in combatting right wing violence as Pablo Escobar had in combatting drug addiction. Their only purpose is to protect the property of the chuds from the rights of others.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

OgNar posted:

Newsmax Greg Kelly is suggesting that Lord and Savior Trumpo just buttdialed that witness.

He was intimidating someone else in person, it just came through over speaker phone so the witness thought he was talking to them.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

OgNar posted:

I often have the phone numbers of witnesses for my on-going federal crime prosecutions on speed dial.

You really want those kinds of things close at hand. Obviously.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

...For like a day or two. Then the wave would wash back in and they'd all be back on board and celebrating that Trump oversaw the death of his own vice president. We saw it basically happen with every Republican congressman and senator, after a moment of shock, the fog settled back in and they all went back to Trump.

They always go back to Trump.

i actually agree with this. i think if it were romney or someone, you might see the senate crack way way more, but i think alot of them are either too scared of the base mixed with greed and "i agree with this because i am idiologcal whore"

i think it would come down to like what happened in the white house, where a bunch of republican ghouls realized the game was up and demaded trump just quit the poo poo while he had time to leave and the true believers/lickspittles/rudy who were fine with escalating poo poo.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i actually agree with this. i think if it were romney or someone, you might see the senate crack way way more, but i think alot of them are either too scared of the base mixed with greed and "i agree with this because i am idiologcal whore"

i think it would come down to like what happened in the white house, where a bunch of republican ghouls realized the game was up and demaded trump just quit the poo poo while he had time to leave and the true believers/lickspittles/rudy who were fine with escalating poo poo.

It's that scene at the end of The Boys this year where Homelander just murders a man in a fit of rage in front of a crowd of people. Initial horror and confusion quickly giving way to nervous laughter and then supportive cheers, because their guy just murdered congress. gently caress YEAH! :dance:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
If the PB/OK had gotten to Romney or Pence, the right would just blame it on Antifa

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

If the PB/OK had gotten to Romney or Pence, the right would just blame it on Antifa

This. They would be screaming this as loud as they could to drown out any facts or pushback, and they would force themselves to believe this forever, no matter what. A few people would not be able to deal with the cognitive dissonance and peel off, but for those who remained, "Antifa murdered Romney/our beloved VP" would be an article of faith.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

deathbysnusnu posted:

They were ordered not to use them (or even have them staged) that day.

and yes that is indeed a subject of investigation and even a key point in why the whole thing sure appears to have been a coordinated, consciously planned attempted coup

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

yeah they'd relish getting to go 'it wasn't us, but if it was, he had it coming' and then using it as an excuse to go after the left

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

deathbysnusnu posted:

Read a thing for fucks sake.