Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

There Bias Two posted:

Er...we already have languages entirely communicated via movement. Your examples could definitely fall under the umbrella of language. Are you assuming language is verbal by definition?

No, I'm not assuming language to be verbal. I was just trying to give a jumping-off point to try and imagine a civilization without language. There are movement-based languages, but they are exclusive to humans. There are also plenty of verbal signaling and communication methods among animals that are not language.

There are more species on this planet who use technology (chimps spear-hunting, tool use among ravens) than there are species that use language (just us). To assume that technological civilization cannot exist without language is leaning too hard on our sample size of 1.

So when we are looking for radio signals from other civilizations, we are making a lot of huge assumptions about what other civilizations would look like. So the fact that we aren't finding this very specific type of evidence doesn't really say much about what may or may not be out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

LanceHunter posted:

No, I'm not assuming language to be verbal. I was just trying to give a jumping-off point to try and imagine a civilization without language. There are movement-based languages, but they are exclusive to humans. There are also plenty of verbal signaling and communication methods among animals that are not language.

There are more species on this planet who use technology (chimps spear-hunting, tool use among ravens) than there are species that use language (just us). To assume that technological civilization cannot exist without language is leaning too hard on our sample size of 1.

So when we are looking for radio signals from other civilizations, we are making a lot of huge assumptions about what other civilizations would look like. So the fact that we aren't finding this very specific type of evidence doesn't really say much about what may or may not be out there.

Pretty sure dolphins have a language, considering they name each other. Also they use tools.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Popoto posted:

Pretty sure dolphins have a language, considering they name each other. Also they use tools.

I mean it does sort of gets into what's the level of complexity of mutually understood communication system that is considered a language.

I'm pretty sure depending on field of study, and just the person studying them, this will probably have very different answers.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

https://twitter.com/Johnnyc1423/status/1546908828461154304

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Popoto posted:

It could measure to find water in the atmosphere of an earth-like planet that's inside the habitable zone of a calm star. That would be huge.

The second huge thing would be finding on the same planet gas that can only exist through biochemistry.

I was looking at the scheduled research time during cycle 1 and a LOT of telescope time is being devoted to looking at various exoplanet atmospheres. Not necessarily specifically earth likes and looking for evidence of biochemistry, but a lot of interest in smaller(sub neptune) exo planets and their atmospheres. Exoplanet observation in general was the largest category from what I could tell.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

Counterpoint language is imperfect and imprecise and any 'advanced' culture surely would evolve technological or biological feats beyond the need for one

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

This is why we beam prime numbers all over the place lmfao.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

This is incredible because you can actually see the changes over the 20+ years to some of the structures as well

Granted, 20 years in universe time might as well be a picosecond but it's still really cool to see!

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

The Voyager record is just a 65-year-old man saying "Do. You. Speak. English?" progressively louder and over-enunciated for an hour.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

GolfHole posted:

This is why we beam prime numbers all over the place lmfao.

Honestly we should beam out dick and T&A pics and just see what happens imho.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

OnlyEarthlings

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Captain Invictus posted:

you mother FUCKER

:tipshat:

Also, Falkor’s snout is pointing toward huge pig balls.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Lawman 0 posted:

iirc we actually do

A copy of the Vitruvian Man is on Voyager I I think and we may send this out as well (I don' t know if we have yet)

I guess :nws: for pixelated penis and breasts

https://th-thumbnailer.cdn-si-edu.c...-00055-g014.jpg

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

The Voyager record is just a 65-year-old man saying "Do. You. Speak. English?" progressively louder and over-enunciated for an hour.

Made me do a spit take. And he's doing it in an overtly patronising tone.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I hope whatever alien civilization may come across the Voyager golden record has a blast listening to it should they decipher how to play it.

Because El Cascabel is a total banger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkKxN9QJ2wI

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Lawman 0 posted:

Do you WANT horny aliens?!

Because that’s how you get horny aliens.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
There's a reason people go to space.

And now they don't even do that.

Its because they are cowards

The real poo poo is the depths of the sea.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

👉👈 maybe?

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Alien language chat reminded me of this video from pursuit of wonder

"A short, fictional story about three different species, all in the same place, and none of them aware of each other. "

TL:DW - Language don't mean poo poo if you can't even perceive the thing you're trying to talk to

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Seth Pecksniff posted:

iirc we actually do

A copy of the Vitruvian Man is on Voyager I I think and we may send this out as well (I don' t know if we have yet)

I guess :nws: for pixelated penis and breasts

https://th-thumbnailer.cdn-si-edu.c...-00055-g014.jpg

Lol, these idiots just send aliens detailed drawings of where our most important and vulnerable body part is and where they can unload their massive laser canons

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
tazer balls, from space

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

GABA ghoul posted:

Lol, these idiots just send aliens detailed drawings of where our most important and vulnerable body part is and where they can unload their massive laser canons

fun fact its censored by the us government

the original vagina had lips

even aliens have been brainwashed by the CIA

tmyk

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

“Ultimate Space Telescope” documentary premieres tonight on PBS & Youtube at 9PM EDT if you can't get enough of Webb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaRpTGFe1_k

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

GolfHole posted:

tmyk

Well yeah we can't let ET know there's pussy on this planet

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

GolfHole posted:

tmyk

drat they gonna be pissed when they get here. They thought they’d finally found the lipless pussies prophesied in the Ancient Texts but they came all this way for nothing :(

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

aliens could use their advanced medical technology to provide free MTF surgery for any human who wants it, as long as you’re ok getting a lipless

seems like a win win to me

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

“Speak American or go home. Love it or leave it.”

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

GolfHole posted:

tmyk
Nah they decide not to include the lips because they were worried they wouldn't be allowed to launch it otherwise. In other words, the government didn't censor it, but the people working on it were worried they might.

But it turned out there wasn't as much prudishness around as they thought and they probably could've gotten away with it.

Of course, a few members of the public were mad about it anyway.

Carl Sagan talked about this in The Cosmic Connection.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Did I understand right in the July 12 event that they said they'd be unveiling new science/photos on a weekly basis? If so JWST just became my favorite TV show. I can't wait to see mind-blowing new discoveries while watching NASA learn how to use YouTube.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Like how horny we talkin? I got poo poo to do but I mean.. :pervert:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

smoobles posted:

Did I understand right in the July 12 event that they said they'd be unveiling new science/photos on a weekly basis? If so JWST just became my favorite TV show. I can't wait to see mind-blowing new discoveries while watching NASA learn how to use YouTube.

Next week, on JWST:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqT_eYDhfRg

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Should've added more dickes and buttes to our drawings we sent into space, no takesies backsies, now we'll have aliens a billion years from now wondering why an ancient extinct civilization sent pics of their vagineless selves

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
More nebulae, more universes, more empty space and evidence that we are infinitely small. What were they expecting really? Not impressed.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Aishlinn posted:

Only somewhat sorry. had to be done.

What does space smell like?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

toggle posted:

What does space smell like?

https://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-07/what-does-space-smell/

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
The moon smells like exploded firecrackers.

Most of the space stations smell like your garage.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Sorry if a repost, but it looks like Webb took some pics of Jupiter

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/james-webb-telescope-team-releases-images-of-our-solar-system-showing-jupiter-and-its-moon-3157982

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Bula Vinaka posted:

The moon smells like exploded firecrackers.

Most of the space stations smell like your garage.

Pretty sure it in fact actually smells like your bum (anus) :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Could the imaging team not eliminate the diffraction spikes entirely with multiple exposures taken at slight rotation from each other? I.e., take one exposure, then rotate the entire craft 7.5°, take the same exposure again, and then end up with two images of the same field with diffraction spikes rotated 7.5° off-axis from the previous exposure, which can then be stacked to eliminate the differences between the two exposures, thereby eliminating BOTH sets of diffraction spikes in the process?