Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

So after trying to push the locking tab to rotate the mechanism it seemed to not be playing nice so I used a 1/2" chisel to break the locking tab off. Turns out the whole barrel turns, so if this ever happens to any of y'all just try grabbing the barrel and twisting with some needle nose or something. Now I need to buy the $40 part if I want a locking gas cap door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I went ahead and got the PS4S tires for my FiST.

They do fit, barely. I asked for an alignment when I got the tires installed and they couldn't get the reflector things to clamp around the tires because of how little clearance there was. The rear wheel well liner was also rubbing, but being felt it was easy enough to just push it back a bit to provide clearance and I haven't heard or seen any further rubbing.

The extra diameter is surprisingly noticeable in the steering and off the line, but it's not terrible.

Grip is incredible though. I can't wait to get these out to somewhere I can play more freely.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Pictures?

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

The car is pretty fun with the s280 and a bbk. Still on some crappy BC coilovers while I wait for my Fortune 510s to be built. This photo was taken at Ridge Motorsports Park, I managed at 2:01 on a cool day with RT660s. With a better driver the car easily has a sub-2 in it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

The car is pretty fun with the s280 and a bbk. Still on some crappy BC coilovers while I wait for my Fortune 510s to be built. This photo was taken at Ridge Motorsports Park, I managed at 2:01 on a cool day with RT660s. With a better driver the car easily has a sub-2 in it.

gently caress

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

drat that looks like a lot of fun, I'm super jealous. I didn't track mine but I went through a set of stock front brake pads at 10k miles with my 2014 and the rears went toast almost exactly at 30k.

I've been looking at used FiST prices and even at 20-22k it still seems like a good deal for a 2018+ in the magnetic color in these times. I miss mine a lot.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of, anyone know of an adapter for getting rid of intake direct injection carbon buildup on a 2.0 EcoBoost will fit a 1.6? I'm assuming no, but all the ones I can find are for 2/2.3/3.5 so my options seem kinda limited.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
PS4S FiST update after three weeks. It rubs coming out of steep driveways, but I haven't heard anything during normal driving even when hitting some pretty good bumps at speed. Still impressed by the grip, I haven't yet found the limits and I've driven them about as hard as I'm comfortable doing on a public road. I think I'm going to need to finally drag my rear end out of bed early enough to go to an autocross to really find the edge.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Speaking of, anyone know of an adapter for getting rid of intake direct injection carbon buildup on a 2.0 EcoBoost will fit a 1.6? I'm assuming no, but all the ones I can find are for 2/2.3/3.5 so my options seem kinda limited.
What do you mean by an adapter for getting rid of carbon buildup?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

wolrah posted:

PS4S FiST update after three weeks. It rubs coming out of steep driveways, but I haven't heard anything during normal driving even when hitting some pretty good bumps at speed. Still impressed by the grip, I haven't yet found the limits and I've driven them about as hard as I'm comfortable doing on a public road. I think I'm going to need to finally drag my rear end out of bed early enough to go to an autocross to really find the edge.

https://www.usvetdesigns.com/product-page/ford-ecoboost-2-0l-intake-valve-carbon-cleaner-walnut-blasting-adapter

Something like this where you can use a shop vac or similar to blast the intake valves to clean them because of the DI

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

wolrah posted:

Imperador do Brasil posted:

https://www.usvetdesigns.com/product-page/ford-ecoboost-2-0l-intake-valve-carbon-cleaner-walnut-blasting-adapter

Something like this where you can use a shop vac or similar to blast the intake valves to clean them because of the DI

Yeah sorry, I was a bit unclear. That's the kind of adapter that I mean, except for the 1.6. Or rather, since I've failed to find one for the 1.6 I wonder if one of the other fits.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Yeah sorry, I was a bit unclear. That's the kind of adapter that I mean, except for the 1.6. Or rather, since I've failed to find one for the 1.6 I wonder if one of the other fits.

You could ask them. The fact that you can choose the color on some of these and their suggestive shape is making me giggle though.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

wolrah posted:

I had the PS4S on my FoST and on my S4 now, and yeah I run out of balls way before they run out of grip on public roads.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

:drat:

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

MunchE posted:

I had the PS4S on my FoST and on my S4 now, and yeah I run out of balls way before they run out of grip on public roads.

I'm running them on my RS this weekend at VIR, in 90f heat, and they are doing fantastic.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Noticed a VWVortex update email for the first time in forever and seen there's a water pump class action that covers a bunch of VW and Audi models. I had my pump replaced under warranty and can't tell if I should exclude myself from the settlement or not. From the discussion in the thread over there, it seems if I didn't have to pay for my water pump I get nothing, and potentially that staying in the settlement class means you're only entitled to one repair prior to 80,000 miles, potentially even outside the OEM limited lifetime warranty. It also potentially covers a portion of costs associated with replacing the motor due to the water pump failing.

It's not clear that the 80,000 mile limit is available if one were to exclude ones self from the settlement or whether it's part of the settlement, and I don't expect to be paying to have the water pump replaced if it dies now at 73,000 miles, I would knuckle up and DIY that awful poo poo. Also, it only covers one replacement which I think would be obviated by my having gotten a warranty repair already, though if I were in the original warranty period it sounds like excluding myself would be the correct path... maybe.

I suppose I don't even really have a question, but if you have a VW and had to pay for a water pump replacement you may be entitled to money from this settlement, assuming your car is one of the covered models.

Thread:
https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/wa..._content=iss236

Settlement site:
https://waterpumpsettlement.com/Home/portalid/0

VIN look up portal, is not case-sensitive:
http://waterpumpsettlement.com/VIN-Lookup-Portal

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
depresso makes for impulso purchase

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I need a roof rack.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Get one, buddy. It is a boon for my hatchback shenanigans. RackAttack.com came up in my search with a few results for Fiesta ST racks. Probably are better storefronts, but it might be a good place to see what exists.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
See if you can find one used because I took a fuckin bath on the one I sold

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

prom candy posted:

See if you can find one used because I took a fuckin bath on the one I sold

Roof racks always seem to be available second hand

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah thanks to dumb dumbs like me who like pretending to be outdoorsy more than the reality of being outdoors.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I never buy roof racks or any of the attachments new, there are always used ones available. You will usually have to buy the "clips" from Yakima/Thule that fit your car but that's about it. I got ski holders not long ago because they work great for fishing poles and all other kinds of poo poo, wish I would have figured that out sooner.

The other day some guy asked me if I actually use the rack or if it's for show. I don't get it, when did roof racks become a cosmetic thing? I take mine off if I know I won't be using them for awhile. Especially on the interstates, they create drag and are noisy.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The other day some guy asked me if I actually use the rack or if it's for show. I don't get it, when did roof racks become a cosmetic thing? I take mine off if I know I won't be using them for awhile. Especially on the interstates, they create drag and are noisy.

There's definitely a roof rack aesthetic that some people are into.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Like decades ago. Look at pics of old tuner/custom cars from the 90s and 2000s—especially, for whatever reason, VWs and BMWs

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I do kinda love the look of a stickerbombed roof rack wind fairing, as stupid as it is

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The outback roof rack system is pretty slick for functionality

The bars either fold into the roof rails and can be deployed when you want to use them. Avoids the wind noise and mpg penalty and you don't have to worry about storing them anywhere.

Haven't seen on other models, but kinda hoping it becomes more widespread as it's a good compromise. The weight rating is a little low at 165lb, but that should be enough for most use cases.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Bajaha posted:

The bars either fold into the roof rails and can be deployed when you want to use them. Avoids the wind noise and mpg penalty and you don't have to worry about storing them anywhere.

Haven't seen on other models, but kinda hoping it becomes more widespread as it's a good compromise. The weight rating is a little low at 165lb, but that should be enough for most use cases.

I would totally install a system like this on my GTI (and never use it)

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Roof racks and boxes is definitely A Look. My first GTI the PO was into it, with the aforementioned stickered up wind deflector.

A lot of wagon enthusiasts also love the roof box look on the wagon to like really drive home the practical/dad mode vibes at meets/shows. Personally I think it works well, especially there is a V90 on IG that does it to perfection, a panamera gts sport turismo as well.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I did always like how my civic looked when it had the kayak loaded on it. I hated how the bars were wider than the car though, and that car was already unpleasant enough on the highway without the added wind noise

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Supposedly this trick works for wind noise at least:

tl:dr (dw?) wrap some cord around the bars, like the spiral around long car antennas.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bajaha posted:

My Pacifica rental had basically the same thing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

japtor posted:

Supposedly this trick works for wind noise at least:

tl:dr (dw?) wrap some cord around the bars, like the spiral around long car antennas.

That helps for the howling noise they tend to make if there's nothing on them. I have SUP/surfboard pads on mine plus the ski racks so that stops the howling but it still makes more noticeable wind noise with it than without it.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Mine howls like the dickens, but it’s part of the fun of adventurin’ with my bike I figure. I might test it out though.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

So which one of you guys is this? Cause it’s f’in awesome. I think it’s a FiST

https://imgur.com/a/90zwPmg

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

skipdogg posted:

So which one of you guys is this? Cause it’s f’in awesome. I think it’s a FiST

https://imgur.com/a/90zwPmg

that’s a Focus

how dare you

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
waaaay too much ground clearance there for a fistyboi

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

It's a Focus SE, no center exit exhaust that the ST has. It's awesome, safari all the things.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nitsuga posted:

Mine howls like the dickens, but it’s part of the fun of adventurin’ with my bike I figure. I might test it out though.

Just wrap a bungee cord around the cross bars, that's what I did before I realized I just needed to leave the drat pads on cuz they do the same thing.

Pads are sun damaged all to hell now but oh well :v:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

El Fit has been getting some decent economy lately. My son has definitely figured out how to play the game. The 6MT is supposed to get a combined 34.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
kids seem ok.. :unsmith: