Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Short and sweet...
AITA for getting mad at my husband for an insensitive gift?

quote:

My (42f, red hair) husband (31f, normal hair) returned from a trip to asia with his friend from school just in time for our anniversary. When it came time to exchange gifts, he had a big goofy grin on his face, and handed me my "hand picked" gift that he got in Thailand - a cloth bracelet embroidered with the words "ginger c**t" on it. I was obviously distraught and upset, asking him why he thought he could give me such a crude and ugly gift. He said he thought it was funny and that i'd have a laugh. needless to say he's sleeping on the couch tonight. I got him a gorgeous breifcase and an expensive watch and he gets me a cheap bracelet calling me a disgusting slur (two, actually). Now he's saying im a stick in the mud who can't take a joke, and I his friends are all saying the same. I'm second guessing myself on this one. So AITA??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hughlander posted:

Short and sweet...

"Help, Reddit, my eleven years younger husband is an immature rear end in a top hat, and so are his friends!"

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Hughlander posted:

Short and sweet...

ginger is a slur?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

kdrudy posted:

ginger is a slur?

The cheap bracelet had the letters out of order

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It was turned into a slur by South Park

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Hughlander posted:

Short and sweet...

Today I learned that there are exactly two kinds of hair: red and 'normal'

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

can't deal with the rest of that post because I'm losing it over "husband (31f, normal hair)"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hughlander posted:

Short and sweet...

I got distracted enough laughing at the stupidity of that gift in general if you're not 5000% certain where things stand as far as rude gags, I forgot that it was also the entirety of his anniversary gift, lol :rip: that guy

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

haveblue posted:

My little brother ended up having kind of a mental break over it because his American classmates wouldn't let it go and kept teasing him about not having a soul.

Well that and my dad's suicide a few years before, and the mental abuse before that. He never really recovered.

The ginger thing was definitely a factor, though.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

haveblue posted:

Is that really why everyone started saying it at some point? I assumed it was some sort of British schoolkid bullying bleeding over to the US.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I mean yeah and south Park was how it bled over.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
ginger existed before South Park as mostly a UK thing yeah - usually an anti-Irish thing. It gained a new life when Cartman claimed ginger children had no soul and then that he had contracted 'gingervitis'

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Don'cha just love when a terrible character is framed as funny or cool so people mimic the terribleness in the expectation that it'll be funny when they do it?

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
During a bullying and harassment seminar at work, one person from HR repeatedly mentioned that being ginger was not a protective characteristic. I think his point was that they were fair game.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Plucky Brit posted:

During a bullying and harassment seminar at work, one person from HR repeatedly mentioned that being ginger was not a protective characteristic. I think his point was that they were fair game.

I believe in a precedent setting case it was ruled that you were not allowed to replace their staff photo with a photo of a sweet potato.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Bruceski posted:

Don'cha just love when a terrible character is framed as funny or cool so people mimic the terribleness in the expectation that it'll be funny when they do it?

Didn't Parker and Stone say at some point that they started out identifying most with Kyle and Stan, but over time, they both switched to Cartman.
Which has to be one of the most unarguably clear illustrations of the effect of wealth and influence in turning people into absolute and stupid sociopaths.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Pookah posted:

Didn't Parker and Stone say at some point that they started out identifying most with Kyle and Stan, but over time, they both switched to Cartman.
Which has to be one of the most unarguably clear illustrations of the effect of wealth and influence in turning people into absolute and stupid sociopaths.

I believe their quote was that they started out identifying most with Kyle and Stan, but now most identify with Randy.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Plucky Brit posted:

The Anti-Harrassment training video at my work specifically featured a red-haired character and used "soulless ginger" teasing as an example of how harassment can happen even to people in non-protected categories. I'd call it progressive except for the character in a wheelchair, where every scene featured someone archly telling him things like, "You shouldn't stand for that type of behavior" and "Hey, run down to the break room and grab me a coffee." I assumed there was gonna be a scene where that was called out as inappropriate, but nope, just casually bullying the paralyzed guy for 90 minutes with no consequences.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

LanceHunter posted:

I believe their quote was that they started out identifying most with Kyle and Stan, but now most identify with Randy.

I know, its Wikipedia, so, not exactly perfect, but this is in the character summary for Cartman

"Parker and Stone state that he is their favorite character, and the one with whom they most identify."

And no-one is querying as inaccurate.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

SyNack Sassimov posted:

too soon?

edit: if the French person establishes a Maginot Conga Line, just go around it

I appreciated this.

Bruceski posted:

Years ago my friend group and I were talking about what South Park characters we would all be. I was Kenny because who else would I be, and 3 other guys were talking about who would be Stan and Kyle. They are more of the everyman characters and quite similar so it was more of a discussion. Then the last guy in our group chimes in with pride and certainty that he is obviously Cartman. We all looked at him and a couple of us told him that's not something to be proud of. Cartman is awful and is obviously hated by everyone in the group. Cartman is a monster, you shouldn't want to be him. He just laughed and said Cartman is actually cool and the one he most identifies with and someone has ro be him after all.

We still stayed friends for a while after that but I came to understand that he was right, he was a lot like Cartman. We don't hang out anymore though.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
What do I need to search on reddit to find dogcloak barbarian?

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVN_0qvuhhw

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
AITA for refusing to go on a cruise?

quote:

So every year my husband and I alternate who gets to pick our vacation plans. It’s been a tradition for over a decade. Last year it was my turn and I picked a road trip due to the pandemic and we visited the west coast states. This year it’s his turn and he picked an Alaskan cruise which I made it clear he could go to but I wouldn’t. After you know what I have no interest in going on cruises and getting potentially stuck if there is an outbreak. My husband says you know what is over so all bets are off in terms of what we can do. Originally I wanted to go to Australia for my pick but I modified it during the pandemic but he thinks it’s over so I should be ok with whatever he chooses. I told him he is free to do the cruise and I will have a staycation or he can pick another one and we can go together but I don’t want to go on a cruise. We are at a standstill and he won’t back down on the cruise ideas and I won’t back down on not doing a cruise. In the past he has put up with hiking and skiing trips he didn’t want to do so he thinks I should accept that this is what he wants. I think safety trumps what he wants and I don’t want to go on a cruise after recent events and he needs to pick something else.
Divorce and he can go on as many cruises he wants. Wonder what other unsafe practices he's up to since "you know what is over".

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

metachronos posted:

What do I need to search on reddit to find dogcloak barbarian?

Here's a google doc version from the OP https://docs.google.com/document/d/13V5l29qMZTuXSOwYyfGnBO7yLsSV9FSA9YLerLHa8pM/edit#heading=h.jz799ycqk7r2

e: it includes the original post title if you want to search that

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

Enos Cabell posted:

Here's a google doc version from the OP https://docs.google.com/document/d/13V5l29qMZTuXSOwYyfGnBO7yLsSV9FSA9YLerLHa8pM/edit#heading=h.jz799ycqk7r2

e: it includes the original post title if you want to search that

Thank you so much!

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Divorce and he can go on as many cruises he wants. Wonder what other unsafe practices he's up to since "you know what is over".

why don't they make mutual decisions about vacations they both want to do instead of alternating between picking something the other person hates

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Sister and BIL just got back from an Alaskan Cruise. They had to do Covid test 1 day before departing. Cruise lines check your cabin trash for
signs you are sick and will restrict you to your cabin if evidence is found . Of course, the seasoned cruise takers will just hide incriminating trash
until the end of the voyage. BIL isn't feeling well today but given the way Covid is spreading through the Bay Area I can't pin it on the cruise.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

metachronos posted:

Thank you so much!

:cheers: it's a stone cold classic of a post

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

why don't they make mutual decisions about vacations they both want to do instead of alternating between picking something the other person hates

Because people that can afford these kinds of vacations every single year but can't agree on anything are probably assholes.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Cruise ship cruises are ecologically disastrous.

Don't go on cruises. Don't be an rear end in a top hat.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What if I want to fart and sweat crab juice?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What if I want to fart and sweat crab juice?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

As a Person of Hair Color, ginger is a slur.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

red headed rat rooter,
blood nut,
ginger ninja,

I gonna hit you harder than harder than a red headed step son.

It's certainly not the worst I have been called but when people want to give poo poo or bully, anything as a source of otherisation is a goer.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

Because that would require the married couple to act like a team, something Reddit knows absolutely nothing about.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Kurieg posted:

AITA for not participating in my friend's multicultural wedding?

She should show up in a Sari, or wearing Salwaar Kameez, and say "Is this ethnic enough for you?"

Or if she want's to go proper scorched earth, a nice formal Burkha.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
AITA for canceling plans on my friend who is always late?

quote:

I (21F) have a friend (20M) who is always late. Normally, it’s only by about 15-20 minutes, and I have a decent level of tolerance for this, even though I’m the type to be 15 minutes early to everything. However, last week I reached my breaking point. He’s leaving soon to go back to college, so we decided to spend the day together at the water park. The plan was to leave for the park around 1:30pm. Because I know he’s always late, I figured we’d actually leave around 2pm. I called him a few times that morning to check in, making sure he was getting ready. All seemed well. But then, 2 o’clock rolls around, and I call again. He says he’s not ready yet, but he’ll be on the way soon. I’m frustrated, but continue to wait. By 3:30, after no communication from him, I decided I’m over it, and call to cancel the plans. He got angry saying he was driving to my house and I should just go, but I held a firm boundary, and didn’t go even after he finally showed up (around 3:45). I said that if he wanted to hang out, he should have more respect for my time. Then I went inside and left him sitting in my driveway. He doesn’t understand my perspective and says I need to learn to “go with the flow” and be less high strung. AITA?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Absurd Alhazred posted:

AITA for canceling plans on my friend who is always late?

i wonder if homeboy here rolls into his classes over 2 hours late and tells everyone to "go with the flow". how 'bout work? or is he just like every other chronically late dickhead, and only ever disrespects his friends and family because he knows there won't be any consequences

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Kenshin posted:

Cruise ship cruises are ecologically disastrous.

More so than air travel? Back of the envelope math suggests that two five hour flights would use twice as much fuel per person as a seven day cruise. I mean, planes are ecologically disastrously too, but are you just going to not travel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

More so than air travel? Back of the envelope math suggests that two five hour flights would use twice as much fuel per person as a seven day cruise. I mean, planes are ecologically disastrously too, but are you just going to not travel?

They're also impactful in terms of pollution, the boats are not kind to the waters that they sail through. Oil, trash, and sewage are all discharged once they're outside of territorial waters. It's a huge problem.

Cruises can be done responsibly, but usually at the scale of at most a dozen passengers and a small craft that can actually be managed responsibly. It's not going to be and never will be a giant floating hotel full of a thousand screaming puking making GBS threads gluttons.