Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

But as they weigh this trade-off, Biden officials are wary of approving these projects only to then lose Manchin’s vote on the climate and energy deal anyway. Manchin is known for refusing to be pinned down, leaving administration officials wondering what he wants, and he has used his power in an evenly divided Senate to block his party’s goals. Negotiations between Biden and the West Virginia senator have repeatedly broken down over the past year.

Biden, my dude, this is your leverage. Tell him you will block every loving project in WV unless you get a vote on this poo poo. Machin cannot be trusted for the love of poo poo, tell the projects will be signed off the second the vote is in and not a second before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Biden, my dude, this is your leverage. Tell him you will block every loving project in WV unless you get a vote on this poo poo. Machin cannot be trusted for the love of poo poo, tell the projects will be signed off the second the vote is in and not a second before.

That's not how administrative rulemaking works. Hell, a big part of the problem in this moment is that the administration can't guarantee the projects would go forward, because they will have to go through notice and comment or some similar administrative process. Many of the decisions involved in individual projects occur at a level below normal political influence.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Biden will never miss an opportunity to give something away for nothing or sabotage his negotiating position. At this point it pretty much seems pathological or intentional.

Discendo Vox posted:

That's not how administrative rulemaking works. Hell, a big part of the problem in this moment is that the administration can't guarantee the projects would go forward, because they will have to go through notice and comment or some similar administrative process. Many of the decisions involved in individual projects occur at a level below normal political influence.
They can't guarantee projects will go forward. However, they can sure as hell make sure projects they don't want don't go forward. There's all sorts of slow-walking and regulatory things they could always use. The executive branch does execute things, after all.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 13, 2022

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

He'd be shredded by the courts and that's without the potential bribery implications

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

DV I know this but there are ways that the Biden Admin can basically prioritize everything but Machin's poo poo using rulemaking and granting. Hell, Manchin is concerned about it clearly. So, gently caress that and gently caress him. Vote my way or I keep your poo poo in limbo.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

DV I know this but there are ways that the Biden Admin can basically prioritize everything but Machin's poo poo using rulemaking and granting. Hell, Manchin is concerned about it clearly. So, gently caress that and gently caress him. Vote my way or I keep your poo poo in limbo.

This. Time for hardball. gently caress Manchin, his word is worth poo poo. Worst case scenario you don't get what you weren't going to get anyway if you gave it to him.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Mooseontheloose posted:

That is basically what they are doing right now (he's not threatening to block every project in WV, just the one Manchin really wants).

The issue is that Manchin wants some kind of guarantee that he gets what he wants before he gives up his leverage. The admin wants Manchin's vote before they move forward with this.

Each one wants the other to move first because they are wary that the other won't deliver (either intentionally or unintentionally). That is why Manchin is mad that they haven't approved the projects yet.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Oracle posted:

This. Time for hardball. gently caress Manchin, his word is worth poo poo. Worst case scenario you don't get what you weren't going to get anyway if you gave it to him.

Also, he keeps ripping this thing up. So again, he threw his weight around. No more.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

That is basically what they are doing right now.

The issue is that Manchin wants some kind of guarantee that he gets what he wants before he gives up his leverage. The admin wants Manchin's vote before they move forward with this.

Each one wants the other to move first because they are wary that the other won't deliver (either intentionally or unintentionally). That is why Manchin is mad that they haven't approved the projects yet.

Sucks to be him I guess, let the vote go through. stop shrinking the bill.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Fart Amplifier posted:

He'd be shredded by the courts and that's without the potential bribery implications

Donald Trump was president for four years, during which time he regularly exchanged favors for bribes.

He has faced no consequences for them.

The rule you are appealing to is not a rule the modern American state considers binding. Its use here is as post-facto excuse, not as justification for inaction.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mooseontheloose posted:

Sucks to be him I guess, let the vote go through. stop shrinking the bill.

The issue is that Manchin can credibly walk away from the deal. He doesn't really need the climate change stuff and the deficit reduction, Rx pricing reform, tax loopholes, and Obamacare subsidies are things he cares about, but not enough to override his WV pipeline.

Manchin is saying "I would be willing to vote for these climate change things I don't like, but you need to give me the pipeline. I am not voting for the bill until I know I have my pipeline and will sink it otherwise."

The admin is saying, "I will give you your pipeline, but I need you to vote for the bill first. I can't guarantee that it won't get held up by red tape or lawsuits after you vote, but I will approve it. Only after you vote, though."

And both sides are saying the other needs to be the one to go first because:

- The White House doesn't trust Manchin, because he unexpectedly backed out at the last second when they made concessions before. They don't want a long negotiation on this or to look like they failed again.

and

- Manchin thinks that the White House will be pressured into slow walking or possibly even killing his pipeline after they have his vote and there is nothing he can do about. Even if the White House is being totally genuine, they still can't actually guarantee 100% that it goes through after they approve it. So, why take a dive on something you don't want for a promise of something later? Especially, if the party you are negotiating with is saying that they can't 100% guarantee that he gets what he wants. He wants more assurances and some kind of guarantee beyond just "we'll approve and see what happens."

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fart Amplifier posted:

What danger does he face from potential bribery implications? Like, what would that look like and what would the actual consequences be?

A big flaming stink posted:

https://twitter.com/NancyVu99/status/1547007379820216322?t=TEmlD2xsbZTAbtwWWOvZrQ&s=19

The Dems do not care about abortion rights. They willingly surrender any leverage they have on the issue because they do not care about women's right to choose.

Why does the Democratic Party care more about working with Republicans to give money to the military than they do about abortion rights? I am ready to vote so hard right now, if anyone has any recommendations for a political party that won't abandon abortion rights for defense spending, I'm all ears.

Main Paineframe posted:

Without a doubt, the current GOP would absolutely vote against a defense bill and put all the blame on the Democrats

Do you think this is a wise move that will stop Republicans from calling Democrats weak on defense?

Considering that currently Republicans are putting all the blame on Democrats for uh, stealing and eating children, abandoning good things in order to appease the people that think you're literally agents of literal Satan and will attack you relentlessly regardless of what you do doesn't seem very smart. Or moral.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Fart Amplifier posted:

I missed the part where a sack of money with a cartoonish dollar sign printed on it was somehow changing hands in this negotiation.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sharkie posted:

What danger does he face from potential bribery implications? Like, what would that look like and what would the actual consequences be?

Why does the Democratic Party care more about working with Republicans to give money to the military than they do about abortion rights? I am ready to vote so hard right now, if anyone has any recommendations for a political party that won't abandon abortion rights for defense spending, I'm all ears.

Do you think this is a wise move that will stop Republicans from calling Democrats weak on defense?

Considering that currently Republicans are putting all the blame on Democrats for uh, stealing and eating children, abandoning good things in order to appease the people that think you're literally agents of literal Satan and will attack you relentlessly regardless of what you do doesn't seem very smart. Or moral.

Democrats get fat stacks of legalized bribery lobbyist cash from overfunding more useless military projects, while womens' rights only help 1/2 of the rabble population and can thus be ignored.

Also yes basing any action on whether Republicans will be mean to you is a fools' errand, Joe Biden is a straight-up conservative who has spent his entire career trying to give Republicans everything they want with a pathetic desperation and they still call him a triple communist.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Fart Amplifier posted:

You know he doesn't have to say it on TV, right? He could say it to Manchin privately in a room.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah, it appears the entire world is still getting hit with it.

https://twitter.com/Investingcom/status/1547151928525819904
https://twitter.com/Schuldensuehner/status/1547138719727190018
https://twitter.com/JavierBlas/status/1547180581141766144

One tiny pedantic point, this doesn't mean that inflation is still currently accelerating at this moment. It probably is, but it is still possible that we are currently at peak because oil and commodity prices have been continuing to drop post-data collection. Inflation is likely still accelerating in the U.S., but it doesn't mean it 100% absolutely is.

...well, that's not good.

Though Germany trying to figure out heating for next winter to the point of "well, what if we used wood?" is also mind boggling. Just. What.

( Also thanks to all the people who corrected me on what exactly happened with Jackson and the Cherokee. )

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
i am curious where the brainworm of 'if you offer someone something in exchange for their support, that is illegal' came from

it crops up every once in a while in democratic apologia and not only is it clearly something Democratic politicians don't believe- witness the star of Getting Sucked Off In Rehab and the fat government paycheck he was granted for Daddy's cooperation with Bush re: the Iraq war- there is an ideological element in there too, somewhere.

the idea of government action not derived from some abstract, technocratic ideal, but instead from the idea of 'my people want this, so I'm going to make it happen for them' gets viewed as somehow wrong, and something that a functioning government prevents from occurring.

where did the idea that representing your voters was a corruption of democracy, and not an expression of it, come from?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

i am curious where the brainworm of 'if you offer someone something in exchange for their support, that is illegal' came from

it crops up every once in a while in democratic apologia and not only is it clearly something Democratic politicians don't believe- witness the star of Getting Sucked Off In Rehab and the fat government paycheck he was granted for Daddy's cooperation with Bush re: the Iraq war- there is an ideological element in there too, somewhere.

the idea of government action not derived from some abstract, technocratic ideal, but instead from the idea of 'my people want this, so I'm going to make it happen for them' gets viewed as somehow wrong, and something that a functioning government prevents from occurring.

where did the idea that representing your voters was a corruption of democracy, and not an expression of it, come from?

Neoliberalism. The fundamental idea behind the ideology of neoliberalism is that the market necessarily produces the best possible outcomes, and thus the governments only role should be to facilitate the needs of the market (or to put it another and probably more accurate way, to facilitate the needs of the class of people who own the market). If the market makes the best possible decisions then the government has no business picking winners and losers as that would only make things worse.

While this ideology was explicitly espoused by Reagan with his anti-government pro-market rhetoric, it was implicitly accepted by Bill Clinton and that combined with the fall of the USSR created a world where the ideology of neoliberalism went unchallenged and thus was accepted as natural and inevitable.

Mark Fisher termed this phenomena Capitalist Realism, which he defines as "the widespread sense that not only is capitalism the only viable political and economic system, but also that it is now impossible even to imagine a coherent alternative to it."

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Manchin is correct to not trust Biden's word because the last time Biden promised something in exchange for a vote it was a promise to deliver Manchin and yet here we are

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Twincityhacker posted:

Though Germany trying to figure out heating for next winter to the point of "well, what if we used wood?" is also mind boggling. Just. What.

( Also thanks to all the people who corrected me on what exactly happened with Jackson and the Cherokee. )

Hungary just declared a state of emergency based on energy security. They banned exports of energy goods too.

I don't know what leverage the USA has over the EU, but getting the EU to self destruct is a sight to behold.

And a BBG terminal headline that passed over the wire is claiming the usa and europe is working on another sanctions package while the EU is trying to figure out if the gas is gone forever.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The owner of the Washington Commanders has been avoiding a subpoena from congress by staying on his yacht in international waters or ports for the last 2 months. He also plans to remain on his yacht and not return to the U.S. indefinitely. He hopes to hold out for another 7 months and for Republicans to take the House and remove Carolyn Mahoney as Chair of the Oversight Committee. Republicans have already pledged to drop the investigation if they gain control of the committee.

Congress has tried to cut a deal to get him to testify via Zoom, but it has to be under oath and he would prefer not to do that.

It has gotten so bad that they are monitoring his yacht and hoping to send U.S. Marshalls to serve him if he ever crosses into U.S. waters.

This is apparently one of the few times in history that an American has attempted to avoid a congressional subpoena to testify by fleeing the country; and would be one of the longest time in history someone has spent overseas fleeing one.

Snyder is supposed to be back for the Commanders' first game of the season, but he appears unlikely to return to the U.S.

https://twitter.com/AnthonyAdragna/status/1547278300837564417

quote:

Washington Commanders Owner Dan Snyder Avoids Deposition by Parking His Boat Overseas

Dan Snyder is in an extraordinary face-off with the House oversight committee over the terms of his appearance while he travels internationally

WASHINGTON—The powerful House committee investigating the Washington Commanders has been trying for weeks to depose Dan Snyder, the team’s embattled owner. But Snyder has positioned himself thousands of miles away, thus far thwarting the committee’s efforts to question him.

Now the two sides are taking this high-stakes political dance to a new level of intrigue.

The House Oversight and Reform Committee told Snyder’s lawyer Tuesday that it would allow Snyder to testify over Zoom on July 28, from anywhere. But there’s a major catch. The committee wants him to appear under the force of a subpoena, essentially compelling him to answer their questions while under oath.

Snyder, however, is reluctant to do that, and he has been using an extraordinary tactic to avoid it: parking the boat. He has spent recent weeks overseas, often on his yacht—where it appears that he can’t actually be served with a subpoena.

Snyder missed the committee’s June 22 hearing, at which NFL commissioner Roger Goodell testified remotely, because Snyder was in France, according to his attorney. Since then, his yacht has been traversing through some of the most luxe spots in the Mediterranean. His lawyer has also told the committee that he will soon travel to Israel, where he will be all the way into August, to observe the anniversary of his mother’s death.

Subpoenas have to be served directly to their subject, in person, unless a lawyer has agreed to accept one on their client’s behalf—which Snyder’s lawyer has declined to do. And it’s near if not entirely impossible to serve Congressional subpoenas overseas, even when somebody is on dry land.

The Democratic-controlled committee has been chasing Snyder for months over the Washington team’s workplace culture and the league’s response, sparring with his lawyer over dates, locations—and the terms of any interview or testimony he gives.

Snyder’s lawyer has raised his broader objections to the committee’s probe, including lawmakers’ unwillingness to limit any questions to Snyder to “historical workplace culture issues,” or to discuss witnesses they had interviewed, or allegations they had heard, as part of the investigation.

At a previous roundtable hosted by the committee, a former employee aired a new allegation of sexual harassment against the owner—prompting a new NFL investigation. Snyder denied the accusation.

The committee chairwoman, Rep. Carolyn Maloney of New York, has said she would not be deterred from seeking Snyder’s testimony, and announced her plans at the June hearing to issue a subpoena to compel it. On Tuesday, she rejected a proposal from Snyder to appear voluntarily, saying that she didn’t want to allow Snyder to impose any condition preventing him from being asked about incidents covered by nondisclosure agreements—especially after a month of delay.

“Mr. Snyder has a troubling history of using NDAs to cover up workplace misconduct—behavior that is central to our investigation—and it would be highly inappropriate for him to employ the same tactic to withhold information from the Committee,” her letter said.

A spokesman for Snyder said his attorneys are “reviewing the Committee’s letter to determine if their due process concerns, including the circumstances of Mr. Snyder’s appearance, have adequately been addressed.”

It isn’t unusual for individuals to be reluctant to participate in a Congressional investigation, or even for them to try to run out the clock on a committee’s interest. It is different, though, for them to attempt to avoid a subpoena. And it’s almost unheard of that they would try to do it by remaining out of the country.

“The norm in D.C. is for attorneys to accept service electronically. It’s very rare for an attorney not to accept service of a subpoena over email,” said Dave Rapallo, the longtime Democratic staff director for the oversight committee, who is now an associate professor of law at Georgetown University.

“I worked on Capitol Hill for more than 20 years and I have never seen anyone intentionally evade a subpoena from Congress in this way.”

In recent weeks Snyder’s yacht has been in Cannes, the French city that was hosting a large advertising and marketing festival. Then it moved through the azure waters of the French Riviera.

It has gone from near the Cap d’Antibes to the northern tip of Corsica, the French island lush with natural beauty in the Mediterranean, according to vesselfinder.com, a website that tracks ship movements. It has since gone to Sardinia, the luxurious Italian island, and Panarea, part of the island chain north of Sicily.

Snyder faces the prospect of being served by U.S. Marshals as soon as he returns to American soil. The Commanders play their first preseason game Aug. 13, while the regular season kicks off in September.

There are few examples of people avoiding a subpoena by being abroad, and the instances that people could recall resulted in the subject and the committee cutting a deal.

Michael Perino, professor at St. John’s University School of Law, said that banker Charles Mitchell was subpoenaed as part of the Congressional investigation into the causes of the Wall Street crash in the early 1930s, but responded that he would be heading out of the country.

The investigation’s chief counsel, Ferdinand Pecora, agreed to postpone seeking Mitchell’s testimony in exchange for access to his documents, Perino said, though for Mitchell, it backfired as the banking crisis of 1933 had hit by the time he got back.

Charles Tiefer, a professor at the University of Baltimore School of Law, recalled a witness who was sought by the House Iran-Contra Committee—to which Tiefer was counsel. The witness, Tiefer recalled, was in Europe, and in the end accepted a plan for committee staff to come to him to take his deposition.

But while staying away without a compromise might carry a reputational risk for Snyder, there’s very little else that Congress could do about it, and certainly not quickly.

Tiefer said that while it is possible—if laborious—to serve a judicial subpoena in another country, even that option isn’t available with a Congressional subpoena.

“Traditionally a person overseas cannot be reached by a Congressional subpoena,” Tiefer said.

And serving a subpoena is one component in finding someone to be in contempt of Congress, he added. “You can’t be in contempt unless you’re validly served, or show up and refuse to answer questions.”

Committee Republicans have openly criticized the Washington team investigation as a waste of time and resources, and pledged to drop it if they take control of the House after the November midterm elections.

Maloney would still remain chair until January and some Democrats would almost certainly argue for her to push ahead with the investigation during the lame-duck Congress, if for no other reason than to preserve the committee’s authority for all future occupants of her seat.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I find the whole thing bizarre because he can just plead the 5th to anything he doesn’t want to answer. Is he just that convinced he will perjure himself?

The NFL needs to get rid of him ASAP and I do wonder if that’s in motion behind the scenes

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Twincityhacker posted:

Germany has been pushing biomass and biogas for quite a while now, so it's not a new idea for them. They already rely pretty heavily on wood heating in homes, and have converted a number of old coal plants so that about 20% of their renewable power comes from wood. There's been a good deal of debate about how eco-friendly biomass and biogas really are, though certainly they're a better "transitional" option than Russian gas, oil, and coal. One issue however is that wood takes a couple years to dry, and stocks in Germany are already depleted. Pellets are better options in a variety of ways, but the cost for wood scrap is tied with the home construction market and the overall economy.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

I find the whole thing bizarre because he can just plead the 5th to anything he doesn’t want to answer. Is he just that convinced he will perjure himself?

The NFL needs to get rid of him ASAP and I do wonder if that’s in motion behind the scenes

Snyder doesn't want to talk about anything at all related to the investigation. He can't plead the fifth for information that can't possibly incriminate him.

The NFL seems to be either fine with it or just not rocking the boat because they want Snyder to just go away and they don't want a situation where Snyder or the NFL are subpoenaed for email records and they have another Jon Gruden situation.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

FlamingLiberal posted:

You think the NFL is going to get rid of an owner for being a gigantic raging rear end in a top hat?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

If he's in international waters, what stops us from sending the loving navy after him? Or is it just the optics of "lol, Biden wasted $X million dollars on a navy mission to harass an NFL owner"?

Yeah, its probably that.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rigel posted:

If he's in international waters, what stops us from sending the loving navy after him? Or is it just the optics of "lol, Biden wasted $X million dollars on a navy mission to harass an NFL owner"?

Yeah, its probably that.

It's a congressional subpoena and he's exploiting the fact that you can't be charged with contempt of congress unless you have been properly served. Usually, your lawyer will take an electronic service document, but his lawyers are not accepting them and he is staying in international waters, so they can't actually charge him with criminal contempt because he has never been served.

Biden also isn't responsible for enforcing congressional subpoenas. If Snyder had real criminal charges that were serious enough to extradite, then he could have him arrested and extradited the second he pulls into port anywhere that will extradite. Snyder isn't actually charged with anything right now, he's dodging a subpoena just for congressional questioning under oath.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Hell yeah, that's the good stuff

https://twitter.com/USA_Polling/status/1547294163800055810?t=F8NfK3C7o9fRgR_BOHaHog&s=19

Some credible candidates need to start announcing soon

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Well a fed governor broke the seal.
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1547291495438360579?t=RQg_rUXv48DmclWT05iQkg&s=19

That is that then

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

The owner of the Washington Commanders has been avoiding a subpoena from congress by staying on his yacht in international waters or ports for the last 2 months. He also plans to remain on his yacht and not return to the U.S. indefinitely. He hopes to hold out for another 7 months and for Republicans to take the House and remove Carolyn Mahoney as Chair of the Oversight Committee. Republicans have already pledged to drop the investigation if they gain control of the committee.

Congress has tried to cut a deal to get him to testify via Zoom, but it has to be under oath and he would prefer not to do that.

It has gotten so bad that they are monitoring his yacht and hoping to send U.S. Marshalls to serve him if he ever crosses into U.S. waters.

This is apparently one of the few times in history that an American has attempted to avoid a congressional subpoena to testify by fleeing the country; and would be one of the longest time in history someone has spent overseas fleeing one.

Snyder is supposed to be back for the Commanders' first game of the season, but he appears unlikely to return to the U.S.

https://twitter.com/AnthonyAdragna/status/1547278300837564417

The DEN (Digital Entertainment Network) execs did the same thing on a boat, off the coast of Spain.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

I can't find any sources that back up this tweet. The latest statement from the FED I can find is from June 22 saying that a recession is possible, but not likely. And that they are committed to fighting inflation.

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/22/1106735608/powell-says-recession-a-possibility-but-not-likely

Trying to figure out who this person is leads me to think it's not credible.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Superstonk/comments/sdrmoe/who_is_this_walter_bloomberg_guy_anyway/

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Powell has been saying a recession is possible for a while.

Powell last month:

quote:

Jerome H. Powell, the chair of the Federal Reserve, said that the central bank might be able to lower rapid inflation without tipping America into a painful downturn, though he cautioned that pulling it off would be “very challenging” to achieve and that a recession is “certainly a possibility.”

Barkin today:

quote:

I expect inflation to come down but not immediately, not suddenly and not predictably. The pace of fed policy change may be making markets skittish. There is a path to cool inflation, but a recession is possible.

Barkin said it was possible the United States could skirt a downturn, but that would hinge on the degree to which controlling inflation required "demand destruction" in the economy, as opposed to improvements in labor supply and global commodity prices that hold down prices without requiring slower growth.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Velocity Raptor posted:

I can't find any sources that back up this tweet. The latest statement from the FED I can find is from June 22 saying that a recession is possible, but not likely. And that they are committed to fighting inflation.

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/22/1106735608/powell-says-recession-a-possibility-but-not-likely

Trying to figure out who this person is leads me to think it's not credible.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Superstonk/comments/sdrmoe/who_is_this_walter_bloomberg_guy_anyway/

The Walter Bloomberg account is an account that tweets out Bloomberg terminal news as it crosses over that. There are a number of accounts that do the same thing. This account happens to be the most popular.

Powell has been saying a recession is possible for a while.

Powell last month:

Barkin today:

I know. I've talked about it in the past in here. The key difference is one of the fedand coming out and making a statement that recession is possible and using the word "recession". What the fed governors say and how they say it matters. This is a big deal. Same with Bostic saying a 100bps is on the table now.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 13, 2022

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

It's a congressional subpoena and he's exploiting the fact that you can't be charged with contempt of congress unless you have been properly served. Usually, your lawyer will take an electronic service document, but his lawyers are not accepting them and he is staying in international waters, so they can't actually charge him with criminal contempt because he has never been served.

Biden also isn't responsible for enforcing congressional subpoenas. If Snyder had real criminal charges that were serious enough to extradite, then he could have him arrested and extradited the second he pulls into port anywhere that will extradite. Snyder isn't actually charged with anything right now, he's dodging a subpoena just for congressional questioning under oath.

Thank you, that is a pretty thorough answer

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

The Walter Bloomberg account is an account that tweets out Bloomberg terminal news as it crosses over that. There are a number of accounts that do the same thing. This account happens to be the most popular.

I know. I've talked about it in the past in here. The key difference is one of the fedand coming out and making a statement that recession is possible and using the word "recession". What the fed governors say and how they say it matters. This is a big deal. Same with Bostic saying a 100bps is on the table now.

Yes this is exactly right, Barkin saying this is new. If you read the minutes of the last FOMC meeting it is clear that recession was not something they were willing to talk about explicitly.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

plogo posted:

Yes this is exactly right, Barkin saying this is new. If you read the minutes of the last FOMC meeting it is clear that recession was not something they were willing to talk about explicitly.

Yep. The way the Fed officials talk actually has it's own term. It is called "Fedspeak" and you have to learn how to decipher it when you read and listen to these people.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jaxyon posted:

You think the NFL is going to get rid of an owner for being a gigantic raging rear end in a top hat?
They forced Jerry Richardson to sell

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Jaxyon posted:

If they can prove that he was stealing money from the other owners, then yes. Snyder would have a lot of dirty laundry to share on the other owners and the league which I think is why they haven't done anything about him yet.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...y-will-be-done/

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

No but they currently have it out for him because he's loving with their money. A raging rear end in a top hat who's trying to take money from the rest of the raging assholes? Yeah, they will do something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

is pepsi ok posted:

Neoliberalism. The fundamental idea behind the ideology of neoliberalism is that the market necessarily produces the best possible outcomes, and thus the governments only role should be to facilitate the needs of the market (or to put it another and probably more accurate way, to facilitate the needs of the class of people who own the market). If the market makes the best possible decisions then the government has no business picking winners and losers as that would only make things worse.

While this ideology was explicitly espoused by Reagan with his anti-government pro-market rhetoric, it was implicitly accepted by Bill Clinton and that combined with the fall of the USSR created a world where the ideology of neoliberalism went unchallenged and thus was accepted as natural and inevitable.

Mark Fisher termed this phenomena Capitalist Realism, which he defines as "the widespread sense that not only is capitalism the only viable political and economic system, but also that it is now impossible even to imagine a coherent alternative to it."

I was reading an old dnd thread about the 2011 Grand Bargain that Obama came up with & it reminded me how he & other neolibs used false consensus & constructed dichotomies to frame their right-wing economic policies:

quote:

WASHINGTON—A day after signing legislation that raised the government debt ceiling and authorized steep budget cuts, President Obama thanked Democrats for their willingness to make tough, but necessary, concessions during negotiations. "I'm truly grateful that both Democrats and their Republican counterparts were able to reach this consensus, accepting an agreement that is far from perfect not just for Democrats, but also Republicans," Obama said Wednesday of the deal that cut federal spending $2.1 trillion over 10 years but included no revenue increases of any kind. "Lawmakers from across the political spectrum—from moderate Democrats to the more liberal members of the party to dyed-in-the-wool progressives—reached within the aisle and showed the nation that compromise requires real sacrifice from everyone." Obama added that while it may look ugly at times, politics is about Democrats giving up what they want, as well as Republicans giving up what they want, until an agreement can ultimately be reached.

quote:

Third Way President Jonathan Cowan issued the following statement relating to the debt deal worked out between party leaders last night:

“The deal announced last night by President Obama and leaders in Congress will avert a short-term economic calamity, and it will serve as a necessary step toward grappling with our budget deficit. We urge Congress to pass it.

“But this deal is just a first step, and no one should declare ‘mission accomplished.’ As Third Way has said from the beginning of this debate, the only way to avert a long-term fiscal crisis is a grand bargain. The deal pending before Congress gets us part of the way there by making real spending reforms on both the defense and domestic sides of the ledger.

“But to finish the job, the next steps toward such a bargain must involve tough choices on both sides – Republicans must be willing to throw out their pledges and support an increase in revenues; Democrats must tell their core supporters that the only way to save entitlements like Medicare and Social Security is to reform them. Both options must be on the table immediately, and neither side should view their absence in the current deal as an opportunity to declare them off-limits. A grand bargain is the only way for the United States to avoid a downgrade, get our fiscal house in order and protect crucial investments so that we can secure long-term growth. It will be difficult. But in the coming months, Congress must decide if we are to be a AAA or a AA nation.

“The most heartening thing about this deal is that after months of bitterness and rigidity, it reflects genuine compromise. In an era of divided government, principled compromise cannot be a dirty word. No one thinks this deal is perfect, meaning that, for now at least, negotiators have arrived at an agreement worth building on.”

quote:

From Boehner's presentation, here are a few of the particulars:

"cuts government spending more than it increases the debt limit"

"Would cut & cap discretionary spending immediately, saving $917B over 10 years"

"no tax hikes"

"Requires baseline to be current law, effectively making it impossible for Joint Committee to increase taxes."

"Failure to remain below [budget] caps triggers automatic across-the-board cuts ('sequestration')."

Second, $1.5 trillion tranche if Super Congress cuts adopted, or both houses pass a Balanced Budget Amendment.

If Super Congress fails to achieve at least $1.2 trillion in cuts, "across-the-board spending cuts would apply to FY's 2013-2021, and apply to both mandatory and discretionary programs."

"Total reductions would be equally split between defence and non-defense programs."

Medicare not exempted from across-the-board cuts. Medicaid, Social Security, veterans, civil & military pay exempted.

Also a running theme during those Obama years was STANDARD & POORS IS GONNA DOWNGRADE THE COUNTRY SO WE HAVE TO CUT MEDICARE & SOCIAL SECURITY BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!

Also also found this gem of mine; I had the 3rd-party part wrong but who would have ever predicted Donald Trump would win the GOP nomination back in the day when the Clintons were attending his wedding to Melania?