Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That escalated quickly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

uh-oh, now we get to play the game of "Make sure our tyrant doesn't awaken and stab this guy to death".

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Well poo poo.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Lads, we are in deeeep poo poo. We cannot meet his delusional expectations. But…maybe we can at least take advantage of them? For example, if we’re in for a rumble, we could heroically go “no, not here. We’d destroy the place. Let’s take this somewhere else” and then lead him somewhere more advantageous? And by advantageous I mean somewhere we can get the gently caress away.

Or, if there’s nowhere useful to go….we could tell our kobold friends to find something powerful to use while we buy time. I’m sure they must have some nasty weaponry back there. Then we use our new fireworks cannon on his face as hell of a flashbang, then use every nasty trick we can think of while he’s stunned. I get the feeling raw external damage won’t do much, but there’s always mental stuff, status effects, and glitch bullshit. Voorish sign or psi clouding maybe?

Or….or maybe we can’t meet his expectations, but, 100% Tyrant Manifest can. But that basically forfeits the lives of the kobolds and makes our body and psyche all the more fragile in the future.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The mood breaks with a clack. Kaigen flinches and recoils suddenly, gripping his eye and pained from something plinking him out of the dark. It was shiny and silver! Your sudden adrenaline spike manages to seize up for just a minute when the Silver Mind rides in with neuronal sympathy. Silver soothes aggression.

(The Silver Mind) 13 - [6]+[1]+[1] = 8 - Success!

HP: [ 25 / 25 ]
FP: [ 15 / 15 ]
ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][50%] [IGNORE THE HERO NONSENSE AND THINK!]
TYRANNY: [19%] [Just think.]

You slow and cool away. Sword turned bladeside guard with the lean. Wait and watch- the Emperor knows it wasn't you from it being a far-left angle shot. Proof comes when more little silver pebbles fly out in sharp arcs, snapping against Kaigen's alabaster muscle with enough force to welt as he walks back humorlessly. Someone is coming out of the darkness, dressed in the most basic of a Grade I, their features lovely indistinct with Fae-Touch grace. They're carrying a little chainlink chem-baggy that clacks pleasingly, plucking out small silver stones to huck at the Emperor with popcorn-lazy ferocity.

The haggard President Amey says, "Shut up. Stop. I can't believe my timing in coming here. Kaigen, leave. Just walk out. The gate here is still wide open, and we've claimed the other end. This is a new future research site and corporate branch. Get the hell out before my clean team shows up. Go."

More silver pebbles thrown. Kaigen just takes them now as he stares down the Agent. He's choosing his thoughts and words with wisdom, one hand extended to keep his enraged legion standing still. But before he can reply, Amey manages to see you standing there all weird and still holding a kobold in one arm. "You- I'm sorry, have we met? Are you a uh, client? Don't deal with these ogres, just give me a day and I can have this place safe and open for you to stay at if you need a safe pla-"

Kaigen's fist doesn't aim to hit them, but Amey jerks back anyways and throws an entire handful of aupebbles, revealing his nervous fatigue with the brutality of the motion. The Emperor growls with a wolf's resonance trapped behind the ogre as he stares the President down. "NO! It's too holy a place for you to turn it into another disgusting bauble-kiosk! Tell them it's too dangerous, it's too sacred to bother! Go back to the Dream!" Amey argues back. But you're not hearing the words, because there's this awful bile boiling up in your stomach, reflected clearly by the cooling of your void-mind state. There's ogres here. There's Fae here. They both want to take this all away from the little dragons. They're going to take it all away and chase them away or box them up or blow their brains out or eat their flesh and sell it for a dollar and you need to stop shaking so hard and just THINK.

The voidmind fades away. You're going to do what makes sense.

[Equipped: 'DEAD SWORD'] [DM: 5dx2]
[Equipped: 'Kadath Regalia'] [DR: 10]

Black August fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 13, 2022

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
The link to the poll goes straight to the results rather than the voting bit.

That said. KOBOLD. MARKET.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

oops, fixed.

Compromised Cranial posted:

bep

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Uh, well the obvious answer is
KOBOLD
MARKET

But the skill spread to have that happen is just...no? Absolutely loving not? That's the stuff we don't want to engage in.

So let's review the other options:

1. Concede to Kaigen. I.... don't think that's even an option given previous talks, but that's still preferable to loving mcd
2. Side with MCD. Haha. No. Absolutely not, gently caress those guys.
3. gently caress right off - that fits our MO, but also that betrays kobolds, fucks over kaigen and does nothing to hurt the MCD, so uh, real bad idea there.

So i guess i am split between 1 and 4 and i guess i'd need to choose 1, i don't want to tyrant manifest ever, at any point. (or indulge the murderous intent for that matter)

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I agree with you, but a lot of people seem to be going for 4. :ohdear:

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

KOBOLD. MARKET.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
on the one hand, kobold market. on the other we are very doomed right now, lol

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

CoolCab posted:

on the one hand, kobold market. on the other we are very doomed right now, lol

It's worse than that, we are wielding that one sword that doubles all damage. ALL damage. It's really not a good thing.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I dearly wish there was a way to fight for the kobolds while getting the kobolds deploy all their weaponry and join the fight, but. Well.
You gotta do what you gotta do. The kobolds must have their market.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
well the doom potentially could be that kaigen shows up, but i think last time it gave us a random encounter table that was literally universally horribly out of level. i can't imagine that would be great in a combat scenario.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

No matter what, poo poo is about to get real bad real fast, and siding with either the ogres or MCD seems like a bad idea. I voted for Kobold Market, at least we can try to fight for the kobolds rather than leaving them to the Mery of the ogres or MCD.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
kaigen is looking for a scrap for sure, and if this is the doomed effect then it might be that there are no good options and someone is going to die regardless. hope it's not us! we still got deathwalk right

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm just hoping we kill the fae. Because gently caress the fae, even before you factor in MC&D.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

CoolCab posted:

we still got deathwalk right

this is the worst thing to rely on, imo. what doesn’t kill you makes you stranger, and deathwalk is so strange and creepy it scares me.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

We’re Doomed. Don’t go into a major encounter Doomed ffs

Run.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

We’re Doomed. Don’t go into a major encounter Doomed ffs

Run.

Doomed AND wielding the cursed 2x damage blade. This could be hilarious though.

Actually, the fae was described as throwing pebbles that were clearing affecting Keigan after we had drawn the dead blade, so maybe it is 2x to all damage in an area. I'm HOPING we/Kaigan can quickly kill the Fae, then do enough damage fast enough to Kaigan that he backs down and leaves Kobold Market alone. We don't have any beef with the Ogres, we just want our kobold friends to be left in peace.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Oh god KOBOLD. MARKET. is 73% oh no.

They weren't lying those kobolds sure can disaster.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
they consistently harm us, cast us into disaster etc, and yet we love them, partially because they comfort us. we're about to do something incredibly violent, stupid and probably self harmful to prove this love. our fearless protagonist sure has a type and some patterns!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Um... I just realized...

The Doomed status messages only popped up when Kaigan and Amey arrived. Those messages may not have been for us...

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

My opinion:
120% gently caress MC&D
Kaigen is meh, but he loving with our kobold buddies
Kobolds themselves have been nothing but helpful and adorable when we've dealt with them, so I'm on their side.

Dangerous? Yeah, but basically so has drat near everything else we've gotten into, might as well stick up for the little dragons.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
The Tyrant must walk.

Like, y'all. We are the Tyrant. We are the "you", the "I", the "we". All are parts of the whole. We've been walling off the Dark trying to fool ourselves into thinking we're only silver and mushroom and rose-gold forgetting all the while that we will protect what is ours.

Grond posted:

The thing is I believe both the Dark and Holy End events are happening inside a single copy of the game (that of the Player), but the Holy End side is normally hidden, hence why we only see glimpses of it (like what happened in Camp).

it's even weirder than that - remember that there's a whole-rear end other blue book for Holy that The Player doesn't seem to be aware of. They have no idea wtf's going on with the few glimpses of Holy they've seen

Dr_Gee fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 13, 2022

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
Well, I don't particularly like any of those options... but I really don't like the idea of selling the kobolds out or abandoning them. (Also not thrilled about the idea of letting the Tyrant out to play again, but I'm getting the feeling that it's inevitable that the Tyrant aspect would pop out eventually.)

We didn't buy the Ogreslaying Knife, so the Kobolds still have it... plus all their other dangerous merchandise. I'm not sure how inclined these little guys are to fighting, though.

Dear god is this going to be a massive mess.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Oh, and I just wanna give a shout-out to BA for the Dead Alewives d&d sketch reference with the ogreslaying knife. :hmmyes:

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
i think the more we keep acting like the Dark is some kind of invader we need to keep suppressed rather than a part of ourself to be accepted as the very real aspect of ourselves it is the further we get from being able to act toward what we value

"what do we value" is a p. fair question right now tho. we've got goals (e.g., stay alive) but idk if we have a good idea of our values. probably the closest we have are, "we survive", "we protect those who are weaker from being preyed upon by those who are stronger", and "we are loyal to those who show us kindness". none of those are mutually exclusive with our Tyranny

like, who do we want to be? we answer that question and we can walk toward our goals through those values as the dark silver rose-gold spore-riddled human-ish person we are

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Yeah. It's like a hosed up coping mechanism- the like, pushing through things to just Do Them in a way that isn't always healthy- but that doesn't mean it's inherently bad or unhealthy just that uh, it's a trauma response you gotta deal with, yanno? and in this case it seems appropriate. look. these people both fuckin suck. sword em hardcore imo

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Counterpoint - it's been clearly shown that tyrant gives exactly 0 fucks about collateral damage, so he's okay to use in like, lord fights, but absolutely not for protection of people.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
Accepting that there is a time and place for Tyranny is an important part of getting the Tyrant to accept there are times and places for not-Tyranny, I think.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Regallion posted:

Counterpoint - it's been clearly shown that tyrant gives exactly 0 fucks about collateral damage, so he's okay to use in like, lord fights, but absolutely not for protection of people.

Has the Tyrant gone all-out when there's been actual innocents nearby? This feels a bit like a "confirmation bias" situation where the only times we've deliberately invoked Tyrant was when there was no real risk to Innocents, so Tyrant was free to let loose, which meant a large amount of collateral damage so we don't invoke Tyrant when there's Innocents around because Tyrant causes lots of collateral damage.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Randalor posted:

Has the Tyrant gone all-out when there's been actual innocents nearby? This feels a bit like a "confirmation bias" situation where the only times we've deliberately invoked Tyrant was when there was no real risk to Innocents, so Tyrant was free to let loose, which meant a large amount of collateral damage so we don't invoke Tyrant when there's Innocents around because Tyrant causes lots of collateral damage.

The place now called "The fortress of apples" had a whole bunch of reasonably-innocent employees AND we nearly murked merkja right there.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Regallion posted:

The place now called "The fortress of apples" had a whole bunch of reasonably-innocent employees AND we nearly murked merkja right there.

Counter counter point: Anyone working for MC&D is inherently "Not Innocent" at this point. I'll give you Merkja though.

Edit: Let me rephrase that, anyone working for MC&D at one of their research labs is inherently "Not Innocent". If we come across a convenience store that's staffed by a bored teenager that doesn't give us a single look, let alone a second glance, yeah, fine, whatever. Working at a place that can be described as "SCP but wanting to merchandise anomolies" is inherently hosed up.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 13, 2022

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

in fairness, that was also in like, the most hosed up possible situation.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Regallion posted:

it was a hardcore MC&D blacksite so idk how many people were blithely showing up to work there

also - Merkja is not an innocent. she knew exactly what she was doing and seemed to do it with full acceptance that it could mean her death. poo poo, of all the characters she seems to be the one most aware that there's something more than The Dark End. it's plausible she did what she did because she knows she's our Mom, now, at least sometimes to some extent. i'm not super comfortable negating a choice she made out of duty to preserve others and (maybe) outright love/compassion for us by calling her an "innocent"

that's literally the kind of thing we're arguing for wrt accepting the Dark as part of us. moving forward with intent and a mind for what's important to us

having read through the thread p. recently, you won the argument about preserving life and approaching our enemies with as much compassion as possible months ago. it's literally why we're approaching the Walks to Monoliths the way we are. i... don't know if we succeeded in that especially well with Bleeder, but we did the best we could given the situation at hand. and that's the thing about values - it's about moving toward them more than succeeding at goals that crop up along the way

right here and right now is a conflict between what we value - preserving all life and protecting the weak from those who are stronger. i'm hoping there's a way to balance these values as we go, but i don't think eschewing the Dark is going to help with finding that balance. especially right now

edit: wait poo poo merkja might be grammy in Holy End i can't remember which but what i said stands either way lol

Dr_Gee fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 13, 2022

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

isn't merkja not mom, but Mom's Mom/grandma? It's been a minute.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Nea posted:

isn't merkja not mom, but Mom's Mom/grandma? It's been a minute.

ope; ya i think this is it

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Also, don't the Ogres in general revere the Darkness, which the Tyrant is made manifest? I don't want to necessarily kill Kaigan, if he backs down and let's the kobolds play at being shopkeeps, great.

That being said, gently caress MC&D and gently caress the Fae.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Randalor posted:

Also, don't the Ogres in general revere the Darkness, which the Tyrant is made manifest? I don't want to necessarily kill Kaigan, if he backs down and let's the kobolds play at being shopkeeps, great.

That being said, gently caress MC&D and gently caress the Fae.

hey now the cats and The Duke are, technically, Fae IIRC

but otherwise 100% Kaigan *wants* a fight and, well, i can't say it better than

quote:

gently caress MC&D