Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I've actually been rewatching Star myself lately, funnily enough. My girlfriend had heard of the show but didn't know much about it, and after bingeing through Owl House and the latest season of Stranger Things she wanted to give it a try. We're about halfway through S2 so far and she's really enjoying it, though I'm curious how she's going to react to S3 since she's already ride or die for Starco. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Star vs is good and has a lot of creative ideas but suffers from biting off more than it could chew with the racism stuff. It just didn’t have enough time (or the political insight) to examine that topic in the amount of depth it required. Also, these aren’t issues you get clean cut and simple solutions for and you can tell the writers struggled with how to squeeze a kids show happy ending out of it (which is probably where the magic genocide thing came from).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Macaluso posted:

I think people just really liked Heckapoo which, same
Heckapoo led a whole rear end life leading Rugged Alternate Dimension Marco on a goose chase that was a little too :wink:

But her character design was good and usually added some fun to the episodes she was in.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

FilthyImp posted:

Heckapoo led a whole rear end life leading Rugged Alternate Dimension Marco on a goose chase that was a little too :wink:

But her character design was good and usually added some fun to the episodes she was in.

Lets not forget though that she and her allies were complicit in severe crimes against humanity when it came to Eclipsa and her family. She was a terrible person who.imprisoned two people for daring to date across their races then gaslit their daughter into a self-hating narcissist.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

readingatwork posted:

Star vs is good and has a lot of creative ideas but suffers from biting off more than it could chew with the racism stuff. It just didn’t have enough time (or the political insight) to examine that topic in the amount of depth it required. Also, these aren’t issues you get clean cut and simple solutions for and you can tell the writers struggled with how to squeeze a kids show happy ending out of it (which is probably where the magic genocide thing came from).

Yeah, once Toffee was killed off and the wand repaired you could tell the writers were really struggling to build up a new plot. And to be clear, I don't think the show ever becomes bad - the main draw for me was always the characters, and Star and Marco are fun to watch right up until the end. But the show never quite hits the same highs it reached back in S2, and it's a real shame.

Though with that said, I will give the writers credit for trying - they aimed big and stumbled, but better that as opposed to staying safe, predictable, and mediocre. And honestly pretty true to Star's character as well!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

readingatwork posted:

If we're being brutally blunt the Star Vs ending is very blatantly the show's crew "breaking their toys" so Disney can't do anything else with the property(which is one of those things that never really comes off well), which I think is another factor towards why people hate the ending, well that and the ending heavily implying that it happened on a Multiversal scale and when you start applying what happened in the ending at that scale then it very much becomes genocidal or even omnicidal in scale, not to mention if you apply even the slightest bit of logic to Earth and Mewni merging into a single world then you realize that's also probably going to cause a lot of people to die

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Weren't they hoping for a fifth season of Star vs. that didn't come to pass to wrap up the plot?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Weren't they hoping for a fifth season of Star vs. that didn't come to pass to wrap up the plot?

From what I understand Star Vs even getting a 4th season was a huge deviation from the norm for Disney and one that backfired miserably for them because the ratings cratered hard during that season

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, does Star Vs ever abandon the two segment per episode rule the way Amphibia occasionally did?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, does Star Vs ever abandon the two segment per episode rule the way Amphibia occasionally did?

Yes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Macaluso posted:

I think people just really liked Heckapoo which, same

Well, Heckapoo was the one who was on board with Star's plan and pretty blasé about it, agreeing that magic was doing more harm than good in the long run, even if it'd mean her death. Glossaryck is even the same.

The real rub is that it implicitly means the destruction of all the living spells in the wand, which have spotlight episodes of their own indicating that they are fully sentient with minds of their own, feelings, and even families. And that doesn't get addressed!

Kinda funny how the show... actually does follow through on all the implications about how it treats magic. As basically an allegory for class power, and the whole way magic works means very literal power is inevitably invested in a small handful of people, and those who they choose to give said power to. Some of them can do cool things with it, but it's clearly been used for imperialism and propping up arbitrary racial inequality to a degree that's broken whole societies- and implicitly been that way from the start, with Mewni being matriarchal because the first person chosen to hold the wand literally at random was a girl.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Well I think I hit the new low point in my Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies project, the Merrie Melodies short "One Step Ahead of My Shadow", there had been plenty of racist content in the 51 shorts preceding it but for the most part those had been random gags, this short is racist from beginning to end, 7 minutes or so of mocking the Chinese in ways that had to have been tired even in 1933, usually I can sort of laugh off Old Timey Racism in old media in a "I can't believe this kind of thing was considered appropriate" way but this was just incredibly uncomfortable to watch

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
*Looks at next episode*

Oh, cool. Can't wait to pop a blood vessel watching this show try and talk about the thing that's going to kill us all in a few decades.

But first, here's this *other* episode of The Loud House

readingatwork posted:

Season 1, Episode 10B: Space Invader

Season 1, Episode 11A: The Butterfly Effect
Written by Kevin Sullivan
Storyboard by Violane Briat
Directed by Chris Savino

Synopsis: Lincoln breaks Lisa's (the nerd one) experiment and decides to lay low and not tell anybody about it. This sets off an absurd chain of events (a “butterfly effect” if you will) where Lisa quits being smart, Leni leaves for Harvard, Luan quits comedy to become an activist, Lola is disfigured, Lana starts living in a bubble, Lynn is kicked out of sports and becomes a criminal with Luan, Luna leaves to be a groupie for a rock star, Lucy becomes a literal vampire, Lori starts dating Clyde :barf:, and Lily grows to 3 stories tall and eats Lincoln alive.

No, wait. That was all just Lincoln imagining what *might* happen if he decided to not tell Lisa that he trashed her experiment. Lincoln tells Lisa what happened and she's cool with it because we don't have enough time left to resolve another conflict. Everything is now back to normal except for Lori dating Clyde for reasons that are never explained.

Thoughts: So this one was a huge wet turd. I could forgive the “it was all a dream” gimmick if the episode was funny but it's really, really not. I'm hardly an expert on humor but I feel like a good joke generally has a punchline that either makes some sort of interesting observation about the subject matter or has a clever outcome to a setup that isn't what you expect but still makes complete sense within the rules of the world. In this episode though you get neither of those things. The gags don't reveal anything interesting about the sisters (or Lincoln's perception of them since it's a daydream) and when the punchlines bother to connect to the setups at all they have no impact because there are no rules to give anything any structure. The result is a long string of weird things just sort of tediously happening in sequence with nothing to show for it in the end.

Also, while the episode is supposed to be the worst thing that could happen if Lincoln lied to Lisa, I can't help but notice that like half the chain reactions that flow from this are either not actually that bad or aren't actually caused by Lincoln breaking Lisa's experiment. You have Luna going on tour, Leni going to Harvard, Luan no longer being the worst character in the show, and Lucy being a vampire which all seem pretty positive from their points of view. And then you have stuff like where seven seconds (I counted) after Lisa quits being smart Lynn bursts in saying that she's failed all her classes because she's no longer being tutored and was kicked from all her sports. But here's the thing, even accounting for time passing between scenes how did she manage to fail that hard when it's been at most a couple days? It takes months for your grades to suffer like that meaning this poo poo was literally going to happen regardless of what Lincoln did. It's just really bad writing all around made worse by a bad gimmick.

On the plus side though I'd say the animation was a bit above average? Not amazing but some of the character acting was decent I suppose. So that's cool I guess.

Themes and morals: You know, there's actually an interesting question buried in here. To what extent can we be held accountable for the consequences of our actions? If I turn on the stove, but due to an unforeseen issue with the power grid cut power to a hospital and kill hundreds is that my fault? What if instead of making dinner I was making counterfeit money (that rules actually but let's pretend it's bad)? Does the action I took being bad change anything about my culpability? Personally I'd argue that you can only really be held accountable for the consequences you might have been reasonably able to predict. The version of me printing money illegally is engaging in awesomebad actions but still isn't responsible for the deaths at the hospital because there was no way to anticipate that outcome. However if the version making dinner had gotten a note warning him about the power issue but made dinner anyways then yeah, they're a complete rear end in a top hat and should probably be in jail.

This episode doesn't take that approach though and instead sticks it to Lincoln for literally every single (imaginary) consequence of his initial misdeed no matter how far removed. He's not just responsible for the broken equipment and resulting explosion. He's also at fault for Lola's broken nose from when Lynn kicked a ball in frustration because she failed to keep up in classes when Lisa decided to quit teaching her after feeling humiliated by Leni being smarter than her after getting brain damage in an accident caused by Lori slamming the door and shaking loose a closet rack caused by said explosion. Literally all of that is on Lincoln and at no point does the episode stop to ask “at some point, aren't these people making their own choices?” It's real dumb, even accounting for the fact that it's all in Lincoln's head.

Notable moment: Lincoln: “What's the worst that could happen!?!?”. The dog:

Me: “OH gently caress OFF!” *punches hole through monitor*

Final thoughts: Why in the everloving gently caress did the Lori/Clyde thing stick? It's makes literally zero sense and now Lori has canonically dated an 11 year old.

Final Rating: Bad.

And now for the environmentalism one. Pray for me.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 13, 2022

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I have to ask, since I seem to have missed where this started; why are you reviewing this apparently terrible show, episode by episode?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also when do the alleged “good episodes” of this series you mentioned start?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

readingatwork posted:

Literally all of that is on Lincoln and at no point does the episode stop to ask “at some point, aren't these people making their own choices?”

Imagine someone thinking anyone other than the main character of their life (themself) is a thinking person with their own thoughts and motivations and not just a bundle of stereotypes that determines their personality.

I feel like this is the kind of thing that can really hurt kids watching shows like this. Not to mention what does this say about the show creator given that this is based on his own experiences with his own family?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

I Am Fowl posted:

I have to ask, since I seem to have missed where this started; why are you reviewing this apparently terrible show, episode by episode?

3 reasons, basically:

1) Because reviewing the show as a whole would miss how insane specific episodes can be.

2) When this show gets bad it gets bad in a way I find incredibly fascinating and feel compelled to share. It’s like a beautiful fractal made entirely of bad decisions. For example, I just watched an environmentalism episode that somehow manages to make a case against environmentalism. How does that even happen!?

3) It’s fun and easy to do so gently caress it why not.

Or maybe it’s just undiagnosed mental illness, idk. Either way I’m still having fun so I’m going to keep doing it for a while until either I get bored or whatever demon that birthed this thing emerges from the screen and kills me like the chick from The Ring. Again, I’m happy to stop/relocate if it gets annoying.

E: The demon will be Luan and after tearing my head off she will make the world’s worst pun and then laugh at her own joke.

Larryb posted:

Also when do the alleged “good episodes” of this series you mentioned start?

What is this vile slander!? I have *never* promised that this show gets good, only that I hope it does after Savino gets the boot. I’ve only seen a handful of episodes through season 2 around half a decade ago so I’m basically going into this blind.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 13, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

readingatwork posted:

3 reasons, basically:

1) Because reviewing the show as a whole would miss how insane specific episodes can be.

2) When this show gets bad it gets bad in a way I find incredibly fascinating and feel compelled to share. It’s like a beautiful fractal made entirely of bad decisions. For example, I just watched an environmentalism episode that somehow manages to make a case against environmentalism. How does that even happen!?

3) It’s fun and easy to do so gently caress it why not.

Or maybe it’s just undiagnosed mental illness, idk. Either way I’m still having fun so I’m going to keep doing it for a while until either I get bored or whatever demon that birthed this thing emerges from the screen and kills me like the chick from The Ring. Again, I’m happy to stop/relocate if it gets annoying.

E: The demon will be Luan and after tearing my head off she will make the world’s worst pun and then laugh at her own joke.

What is this vile slander!? I have *never* promised that this show gets good, only that I hope it does after Savino gets the boot. I’ve only seen a handful of episodes through season 2 around half a decade ago so I’m basically going into this blind.

Ah ok, I thought you said the quality of the show seems to vary but it might have been someone else

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

Ah ok, I thought you said the quality of the show seems to vary but it might have been someone else

No that was me. And it does vary actually which makes it much more interesting than something like Johnny Test that’s simply bad from start to finish. When I get to the end of the season I’ll post a good episode/bad episode watch list for people that just want to see the good stuff (or just the dumpster fires) without sitting through dozens of episodes of boring fluff.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
I described the Loud House as a show you watch passively, a very “Mid” sort of show. If you were to put it in a lineup with similar-ish family/kid shows like Craig of the Creek, Big City Greens, that one Nick Pony show that no one talked about and died quietly, it would stand out the least, even though it is probably the most popular out of all of them (although that popularity might be waning a bit these days, not sure, but the former two shows are def popular too

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

cartoons123 posted:

I described the Loud House as a show you watch passively, a very “Mid” sort of show. If you were to put it in a lineup with similar-ish family/kid shows like Craig of the Creek, Big City Greens, that one Nick Pony show that no one talked about and died quietly, it would stand out the least, even though it is probably the most popular out of all of them (although that popularity might be waning a bit these days, not sure, but the former two shows are def popular too

Loud House being the most popular non SpongeBob animated work they've had in about 15 years is more a testimony to how bad Nickelodeon as an animation studio had become than anything positive about the show's actual quality, if it had come out during the classic era of Nick and CN it would have been considered one of those mediocre to middling shows that no one usually remembers like Chalk Zone or Mike, Lu, & Og

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

cartoons123 posted:

I watched it because it was the most acceptable background noise at the time. It honestly was this or reruns of Pawn Stars and it cleared that very low bar. Sort of.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I liked Chalk Zone :smith:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

i only liked the theme song, which rocked way harder than the show deserved

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Rudy's got the chalk!!!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Senerio posted:

Rudy's got the chalk!!!

The chalk?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's a cute and competently made show, but much like MLAATR it's one of those shows that was made too early for it's own good, both would have probably done better in the post Adventure Time era where serialization started being allowed to be more of a thing as neither show was really slapstick enough in nature to work in the older more purely episodic Nicktoons format they had to use

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think the show My Life as a Teenage Robot was trying to go for any more complicated overarching narrative or development. If anything, I think it was at its strongest when it was focusing more on visual gags, and the high school stuff felt weaker to me.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think the show My Life as a Teenage Robot was trying to go for any more complicated overarching narrative or development. If anything, I think it was at its strongest when it was focusing more on visual gags, and the high school stuff felt weaker to me.

That's what I mean, the humor was always the weak point of that show(and Chalk Zone) but considering the era it was made it didn't really have the option to try and be anything else

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Sorry for all :words: but this episode of The Loud House was something else. There are layers upon layers to the bullshit at work here and I need more than a few paragraphs to do it justice. Sincerest apologies in advance.

readingatwork posted:

Season 1, Episode 11A: The Butterfly Effect

Season 1, Episode 11B: The Green House
Written by Bob Mittenthal
Storyboard by Miguel Puga
Directed by Chris Savino

Synopsis: Lincoln's class is part of a contest where students compete to see who can maintain the lowest environmental footprint and the winner gets to name a polar bear that gets saved from the melting icecaps or something. Or maybe the polar bear is still doomed and all they're really doing is naming it? It's not clear. Anyways, with 10 sisters Lincoln's house uses orders of magnitude more energy then any other kid and it looks like this will cost him both the contest and his social life. One by one he convinces his family to use less energy by manipulating them with a picture of a sad polar bear and offering incredibly stupid solutions to his sisters even stupider energy usage habits. They make it into the green (he has a color coded watch that can read his house's environmental impact somehow. I don't know how it's supposed to work either) when Lincoln remembers he has a Dungeons and Dragons tournament to practice for, which against all odds is a real thing the show didn't make up. This requires the use of his laptop so he further manipulates his sisters into giving up more perks of modern living for the sake of the environment. Then his friends show up in person requiring even more energy usage rollbacks but this time he gets caught causing his sisters to give up the effort entirely. The contest all but lost his dipshit friends (including Clyde) abandon him and Lincoln realizes for some reason that he should have been doing it for the one polar bear he may or may not be saving. He decides to take on the burden of the energy savings himself by getting an exercise bike hooked up to a generator and powering the house himself. It works and the class wins the contest but Lincoln still has no social life because he gave up showering and nobody wants to be around him. They don't seem to overtly hate him though so happy ending?

Thoughts: You know what I just loving love? Environmental cartoons by people who clearly don't give a poo poo about the environment. I can't read the minds of the writing staff, but if you were to tell me this was written by a conservative who was told to make a pro-environmentalism episode of TV against his will I'd believe it. Not only is this a bad environmental episode but it might be the worst political episode of a kid's show I've ever seen and that's including the Let's Be Skeletons episode of OK KO. I was going to be nice on this one God damnit! All it had to do was vaguely teach kids to recycle and not be a kick in the balls to sit through and I'd have given it a Good rating just on it's educational value alone. How the actual gently caress did this happen!?

But let's keep the politics of this episode to the next section an instead discuss it on it's own merits. Is it good on it's own terms? Hell no. While it's not as painfully bad as something like Along Came a Spider or as deeply uncomfortable as Undie Pressure it's still a pretty rough sit. No jokes land, nothing anybody does makes sense, the animation is mediocre at best, and literally everybody including Lincoln comes across as a huge cynical rear end in a top hat.

That last part is a particularly big problem here. The central conflict is that if Lincoln can't solve a problem that's mostly out of his hands his class will ostracize him. They literally tell him this to his face and his awful loving teacher eggs this poo poo on. So to deal with it he becomes a manipulative little poo poo and goes to increasingly deceptive and cynical ends to get the energy bill down while simultaneously using energy himself to keep his friends happy so they can win a tournament (why they can't just go to a coffee shop is unclear). And what do his friends (including Clyde who's supposed to be his best friend) do when his trying to please them backfires and his sisters blow up at him? They ditch him because they can't win a bullshit contest with no real prize. Hell, they don't even stick around to practice for the tournament. He only wins his way back into everybody's good graces by becoming the house generator for a week so his class can win the contest and the result is him becoming so filthy from lack of showers that nobody will be around him anyways.

And no, his sisters don't cut back on their insanely stupid energy use practices to give him a hand.

And no, powering the house with a bike wouldn't affect water consumption or fossil fuel use which were also being measured for the contest. Like I said, this poo poo is really dumb.

But really, it's the politics that make this one particularly bad. So let's dig into that.

Themes and morals: I'm not even sure where to start here. I guess we can go with the fact that systemic changes are literally never mentioned. In the world of The Loud House environmental change can only happen on the individual consumer level. The real drivers of environmental decline, large corporations and the need for infinite growth under capitalism, aren't mentioned once.

And what even is the change Lincoln is trying to make? He's trying to lower his “eco footprint”, which seems to be a combination of water use, carbon emissions, electricity use, and food waste (a thing his watch can measure somehow). A clear reference to the carbon footprint, a scam marketing slogan thought up by BP to shift attention away from their own role in the global warming crisis. An effort that despite Lincoln sacrificing everything modern society has to offer can only manage to save a single bear out in Antarctica somewhere. One. loving. Bear.

Oh but I'm not nearly done yet. Because the episode seems to quietly have a deeply negative view of environmentalists. You never get to actually see the impact Lincoln's family has on the environment. You don't get to see the bear dying because the ice is melting, you just hear about it through a contest that, to be blunt, sounds like a complete scam. It's just not treated like a real problem and with the exception of Lincoln at the very end nobody actually cares about anything. It's all for cheap prizes or social pressure. Lincolns sisters *kind of* care about the bear in the photo but once they are mad at Lincoln they go right back to their worst habits and the bear is forgotten.

Then you have the episode's more granular takes on environmentalism which reflect a deep ignorance at best and outright contempt at worst. Did you know using solar power means you can't have lights that work at night or on cloudy days? Or that lowering your water bill means you aren't allowed to shower anymore? In fact here are some of the greatest hits I noticed while watching:

-Environmentalism is no fridge
-Environmentalism is not flushing the toilet
-Environmentalism is no music
-Environmentalism is no air conditioning
-Environmentalism is no TV
-Environmentalism is no computer
-Environmentalism is never washing your clothes
-Environmentalism is no phone

Not cutting down on using these things, mind you. Lincoln tries to address his footprint by cutting these things out entirely. At no point does the show even attempt to show that helping the planet is compatible with a modern lifestyle.

But you know what the best thing is? The part that had me audibly swearing at the screen the whole run time? Lincoln's family is actually more environmentally friendly than any of his classmates.

Seriously. Setting aside the insane ways they act in this episode (which is never shown in any other part of the show) his family is probably pretty efficient due to the fact that they share resources like lighting, water and car use due to them all living in such close quarters. The TV is on the same amount of the time as any other household but 3 people are watching it at once. They carpool everywhere which reduces gas consumption. They save water by brushing their teeth around the sink together (this was actually shown in an episode and is canon). That kind of thing. Their *overall* footprint might be higher when measured at the household level but when you break that down to a per-capita basis they are probably the most eco-friendly family in the school. Which is why it's insane that this contest is being measured at the household level. Did I mention how much I hate this conest? :argh:

Now, ask yourself what message this episode sends to a kid learning about this stuff for the first time. What's the takeaway going to be? It's ostensibly about Lincoln learning to sincerely work to save the planet. However the context of this story is a world where systemic options aren't discussed, the real impacts of environmental decisions are obscured, environmental advocates are all cynical and duplicitous, and change can only be carried out at the individual level by means that require massive sacrifices for no tangible results. Is the kid watching this going to strap on their boots and get to work? Or give up entirely? I'll let you decide.

Notable moment: Oh man, this moment where Lincoln's classmates threaten to shun him and he disappears into the ceiling is meant to be funny but is low-key heartbreaking. Why does everybody in this kid's life suck so badly!?

Final thoughts: No, really. The teacher is right there. Why is she allowing this poo poo!? :psyduck:

Final Rating: Bad. (Worst episode so far)

Again, sorry for the length, I promise it won't be a habit. But god drat did this one have a lot to unpack. Do you see now why this show occupies so much space in my head rent free and why I feel compelled to share this with others? They made an environmental episode that's anti-environmentalist.

E: Oh and his teacher names the bear after herself. Seriously, gently caress Lincoln's teacher.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 14, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I've noticed with this show from the reviews is the whole static personality thing, which is actually addressed pretty well in Dead End: Paranormal Park through Courtney. She spends most of the show in a gag-character mindset due to being a demon, never taking anything seriously except for her own personal stuff which means for most of the show she is the static "Whacky/Violent" character, inciting situations for a lark and cleaning up when she feels like it but mostly on her own whims. However, this is her leaning into (spoilers for where her character goes) her identity as a demon and deliberately trying to not get attached to the mortal characters due to how she sees herself. By the end of the show this behaviour backfires because a situation comes up that make her whacky antics just come across as cruel, because the mortals need some reality right then and she's not offering anything other than her shtick. So they abandon her, causing her to spiral into a worse place before pulling herself together during the finale due to realising that the things she outwardly sought throughout the season doesn't actually make her happy now that she HAS everything that she wanted.

I thought that was a clever use of the whole whacky side character archetype.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Two things that stand out to me in these reviews:

- Lincoln's friends are all lovely people who have no problem abandoning him at the drop of a hat. It's insane how none of this is addressed or that Lincoln deserves better friends who'll stick with him.

- The way all of Lincoln's one-note sisters are lovely toward him (even if some of it is because the plot demands it so), and how they're rarely considerate toward Lincoln's feelings and needs, sounds rather misogynistic. If the show's inspired by Savino's experiences growing up in a large family, it seems insulting to his own sisters that he made their expies into insensitive jerks. Compare this to Gravity Falls, where Alex Hirsch's own experiences with his sister comes through as positive with how Dipper and Mabel get along well and work through their problems with each other.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Loud House seems like Disney's Chicken little movie with extra steps and no alien plot.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I haven’t kept up with cartoons in a while but even when I was younger I was getting a little tired of kids’ shows where everyone is a relentless rear end in a top hat to each other. I think Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends clued me in since the change in attitude between the pilot and the actual series was so jarring

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 14, 2022

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Bloo was one of the most unlikeable characters I have encountered in a show that somehow didn't seem to understand that he was unlikeable.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Neeksy posted:

Bloo was one of the most unlikeable characters I have encountered in a show that somehow didn't seem to understand that he was unlikeable.

They seem to revel in it cause I remember there being multiple episodes about Bloo being too cool.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

amigolupus posted:

Two things that stand out to me in these reviews:

- Lincoln's friends are all lovely people who have no problem abandoning him at the drop of a hat. It's insane how none of this is addressed or that Lincoln deserves better friends who'll stick with him.

Lincoln’s relationship to other non-sister kids is really weird. He very rarely interacts with people who aren’t Clyde or his family and when he does they are generally treated more like a vague social group Lincoln wants to be/stay a part of and not much else. Hell, I’m not sure if the 2 new kids Lincoln was in the DnD tournament with even have names.

To be fair I don’t think this is because the writers are psychopaths but because they just don’t put much thought into any of this until they need a friend group for Lincoln to create conflict and drive the plot. These are tools, not characters and the writers likely just never think through the implications of their actions or how they come across in the context of other episodes. One episode where his friends ditch him for stupid reasons is annoying in a vacuum but ultimately harmless. When it happens every time Lincoln interacts with the world it starts getting uncomfortable.

quote:

- The way all of Lincoln's one-note sisters are lovely toward him (even if some of it is because the plot demands it so), and how they're rarely considerate toward Lincoln's feelings and needs, sounds rather misogynistic. If the show's inspired by Savino's experiences growing up in a large family, it seems insulting to his own sisters that he made their expies into insensitive jerks. Compare this to Gravity Falls, where Alex Hirsch's own experiences with his sister comes through as positive with how Dipper and Mabel get along well and work through their problems with each other.

It’s definitely a problem but I’m not sure I’d call it misogynistic because it’s an issue with pretty much every character on the show regardless of gender. The problem seems to be the show’s approach to moral storytelling. It’s a very “the means justify the ends” approach where what ultimately matters is Lincoln’s mistake of the episode and the underlying problems that drove him to make that mistake or any extenuating circumstances are never really treated as relevant. The result is a world filled with people who come across as huge assholes if you stop to think about their actions.

Also I’m not sure you can pin these problems on Savino exclusively. There’s a lot of people who work on this show and you can definitely tell when certain people are behind the wheel. Project Loud House is one of the only episodes actually written by Savino and it was fairly decent so I’m inclined to think it’s either a writers room issue or Chris just needs to be better at vetting out bad scripts. I guess we’ll find out in like 200 episodes after he gets the boot.

Pixeltendo posted:

Loud House seems like Disney's Chicken little movie with extra steps and no alien plot.

I haven’t seen that movie but TLH would be vastly improved by the addition of either aliens or a plot.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I get that a lot of it's dumb but at the end of the day it's a show for kids and the fact that the writers are even attempting to say anything about global warming/our current eco-crisis is admirable. The stuff you're listing is definitely dumbed down (and/or wrong) but the message of "try to not melt our drat ice caps" is a good one.

btw this is as good a place as any to mention that Teen Titans Go did a recycling episode and it has the most hilarious and dark endings I've seen in recent media

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2z_uH4qa5s

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TwoPair posted:

I get that a lot of it's dumb but at the end of the day it's a show for kids and the fact that the writers are even attempting to say anything about global warming/our current eco-crisis is admirable. The stuff you're listing is definitely dumbed down (and/or wrong) but the message of "try to not melt our drat ice caps" is a good one.

btw this is as good a place as any to mention that Teen Titans Go did a recycling episode and it has the most hilarious and dark endings I've seen in recent media

Jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

I was actually ready to give the episode a pass if it were at least good on an educational level. It didn't even need to mention capitalism or corporations really, it just needed to have some useful tips on how to save energy or whatever. It just doesn't though. You'll walk away understanding that reducing energy usage is good in some general sense that may or may not save bears but it's never properly explained why and the solutions are all depicted as insane things like not showering entirely. I get that it's a kid's show and things are exaggerated for comedy but I mean it when I say it ends up sending the exact opposite message it intends to.

They really needed to have Lincoln start with offering sensible solutions that kids can actually learn from and only have him doing the insane stuff as he got more desperate. It wouldn't have fixed all the other problems but it would have given the episode *some* educational value at least.

E: Oh, and the family needed to cut down on their usage again at the end as well since they go back right to operating coal furnaces to heat their pets after Lincoln gets caught and presumably never stop. A scene where the two extremes are synthesized into a more moderate and sustainable way of living would have been a good teachable moment.

quote:

See, I'm not even the biggest TTG fan but this clip is infinitely better the TLH episode. In addition to actually being funny it's discussing concrete things you can do and clearly communicating why it's actually good in a way kid's can understand. Plus that ending is :discourse:

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 15, 2022