Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Yeah it's either I do it, or I don't make the build as there's just nothing with DB 3 floating around, with the second engraving I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Khorne posted:

Legendary ring is a good hack except now to get a relic acc with class engraving you're either going to need a very specific negative engraving on that ring or to redo multiple accessories. I'm only going to go with legendary rings on my bards because I don't care about 5x3 on them. For dps, I've just been patient and waited a week or two to switch to 5x3. I buy class engraving, neck, and roll stone (in no particular order) then buy the rest of the accessories around that.

Might not matter though. Legendary ring is good enough and brelshaza hard brings ancient accessories so you're probably fine. You also have like 4-5 months to find a relic ring if you want one. This game rewards being patient more than any game I've ever seen.

I obsess over dumb stuff which is why I spent more gold than I should have getting 5x3 on my dps alt. Kinda wish I had just gone with a legendary ring and saved 20k-30k.

How much did you go in on a necklace? My Paladin I didn't really need to minmax a ton to do HM Vykas on week 1. But with my Striker, he's getting a lot of investment like specified earlier. Did you go for a giga 90 quality near perfect neck?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I was able to do 5x3 for under 50k in jewelry on my glaivier alt because I got lucky on a 7/7 stone. That let me go with a 4/3 neck which was easily 1/5th the price as a 5/3 for the same quality. Also did a 3/3 legendary ring because relic Pinnacle anything was 50k+. Still needed 2x legendary book though so the total cost is still huge. But with books and a high stone you have tons of flexibility on pieces.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Zotix posted:

How much did you go in on a necklace? My Paladin I didn't really need to minmax a ton to do HM Vykas on week 1. But with my Striker, he's getting a lot of investment like specified earlier. Did you go for a giga 90 quality near perfect neck?
I got lucky on timing and engraving combo, dropped ~40k (high 8x) for one with class engraving. My alt ~20k (7x or low 8x qual) 4/3 no class engraving. Crit+Swift is kinda different and they were raid captain3/mayhem 3 and raid captain4/I forgot 3 (mt/grudge).

Berserker is super cheap to gear if you look at all the angles due to running master tenac/raid captain with crit & 1x non-neck swift piece. Other classes aren't so lucky. The real longterm cost of berserker is in gems & tripods, they need an obscene number of attack gems and almost all of their tripod slots make a large difference in dps (except 1 which does nothing).

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 13, 2022

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.playlostark.com/en-gb/news/articles/arcanist-academy

quote:

For players eager to create an Arcanist, the July Update will also include two limited-time events to speed up their progression. We’ll have more specifics leading up to the launch of the July Update, but players can look forward to using the following progression events to rapidly progress an Arcanist (or another Advanced Class of their choice). No other Advanced Classes will release while these events are active.

A Punika Powerpass that immediately advances an alternate character to the end of the Punika storyline (Item Level 1302).

An Express Event that grants special missions to a selected Item Level 1302 character to help them progress to 1370, pairing well with the Punika Powerpass.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Was hoping it would be a 1415 but still something, also glad to get the confirmation that they won't last through to the next class you can use them now.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I would love to see a breakdown of the relative ilevels of the population. I've been playing since launch (albeit casually) and my main is only at 1404 and I have two alts both at the beginning of T3.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

do people still have to play the story? when can they not do that

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Brand new players? Yes.

And no clue when we will get the story express for new players, likely not for quite a while.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

cams posted:

do people still have to play the story? when can they not do that
We're at the point where express power passes should become a thing, but they're not becoming a thing yet. Maybe in September. :(

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

RoboCicero posted:

I would love to see a breakdown of the relative ilevels of the population. I've been playing since launch (albeit casually) and my main is only at 1404 and I have two alts both at the beginning of T3.

I have one at 1413, one at 1390, and one I stopped playing at the end of tier 1. But I've also spent no money except on a skin one time.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

RoboCicero posted:

I've been playing since launch and my main is a 1472 sorceress. Instead of spreading my mats around multiple characters I only had one main that I pushed until recently when I decided to push my glavier up. Its sitting at 1380 now. I haven't spent any money on this game so its not that hard to keep up as a f2p if you just focus all the event stuff on your main.

I'll most likely make a new alt with the punika pass as well. But I'm not sure if I want an arcanist or a support. I'll probably think this over for awhile.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I just hit 1370 on my express-passed shadowhunter "alt" who is only level 53 and my most advanced character. I have an 1100 sorc from the feiton pass who badly needs to do punika when I can bother playing through it again, my bard *main* I did the original story with just hit the start of the feiton storyline, and I have a paladin in T1 just after rohendel whom I'm probably going to use the upcoming punika and 1370 passes on. Then I have soulfist, glaiver, gunlancer, striker and gunslinger in early T1 that I use for una's tasks. After how annoying it was just to get one character to 1370 I'll definitely have no patience to go any higher anytime soon so I'll just keep stockpiling event mats for now. My friends already bailed on the game without getting out of T1 so I'll probably just keep dabbling and having fun exploring islands, buying costumes, and trying out new classes. At some point I'll do Oreha hard and try Argos, I'll probably never get around to the Legion raids. Who knows though, I'll be playing off and on for a while though because I like the classes and gameplay outside of the group stuff, and once I get one of my supports caught up with the shadowhunter that may keep me interested enough to try the high end stuff.

I've spent a bunch on character slots, costumes, and rapport chests, and they'd get even more out of me if they added passes to the store.

FYI to anyone still working on it, the Welcome Challenge with all its rewards is apparently finally going away next week. They are going to add a new one.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 13, 2022

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
My main (sorc) is at 1477, while my paladin/wardancer/deathblade is at 1415, and my gunlancer/gunslinger is at 1400.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i unironically miss the bots and the inflated honing mat prices

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My glaivier is 460!

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

cams posted:

i unironically miss the bots and the inflated honing mat prices

I can see why some people see this, but having it the way it is now is better. Your gold for completing activities goes farther. Sure you don't get as much for selling materials, but the game balance is much closer to the original vision. Buying standard non exceptional accessories for 300k gold, nah I'm good.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
1460 Deathblade, 1370 Artillerist, 1370 Scrapper, 1355 Bard, 1350 Gunlancer. The pass/express that's coming out is unironically perfect for someone like me who just needs one more 1370 to finish off my alt-roster for gold maximization. I had some RL troubles that stopped me from playing for a month, so I might've gotten at least one of the alts up to Valtan by this point if i'd had the time, though.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Jossar posted:

1460 Deathblade, 1370 Artillerist, 1370 Scrapper, 1355 Bard, 1350 Gunlancer. The pass/express that's coming out is unironically perfect for someone like me who just needs one more 1370 to finish off my alt-roster for gold maximization. I had some RL troubles that stopped me from playing for a month, so I might've gotten at least one of the alts up to Valtan by this point if i'd had the time, though.

How important is it to have a full alt roster up to date with the main?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Alts are a long term investment into gold income, and also just fun to play if you want to play more of the game. The higher you take an alt the more overall gold you will earn out of it, but the longer the payback period becomes.

They are both not important at all, and also extremely powerful it just depends on how much you want to play the game.

I am a horrible degenerate so my main is 1480 and my whole alt roster is 1445+ except for the brand new Soulfist I made that is still only 1422.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Today's Lost Ark population numbers show a huge drop off, with almost 100,000 players disappearing over 7 hours this morning. Have there been server problems today, or is this just another ban wave of bots? I assume the latter, as I couldn't find any official announcement about server downtime today, but I figure you all would be able to say for certain.

It seems to pretty closely mirror the drop off of the last ban wave they did 2 weeks ago, but it doesn't look like the population numbers have hit a floor yet.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
This may be a weird question, but it appears you don't play the game but pay I credibly close attention to the concurrent player numbers. It just seems like an odd fascination to me. Why do you care about player metrics?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I finally hit 1415 and I guess I guess I'll, uh, spend the next 6 months hoping that decent relic accessories drop that I'll never be able to afford on the market

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
It's not that expensive to build a 4x3 setup for any class if you plan it out correctly. 5x3 is overkill for now and not worth the cost to most people.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

SweetJahasus posted:

This may be a weird question, but it appears you don't play the game but pay I credibly close attention to the concurrent player numbers. It just seems like an odd fascination to me. Why do you care about player metrics?
I like to check a handful of games' player counts routinely because it fascinates me when AAA titles like Battlefield 2042, New World, Halo Infinite, etc. manage to release in such a state that they result in nearly 0% player retention a short time after launch. It's easier to check the populations than to read each game's Steam page to check for updates or new content. I think it's interesting to dig deeper into colossal failures (even beyond the realm of video games), because ever case scenario usually has a different set of root causes for the failure.

For Lost Ark, I became intrigued with the game after the first bot ban wave revealed that there was something like a 10-1 bot-to-person ratio, which blew my mind because of how excessive that seemed. Since then, I've added the game to the list I follow to see if the game ever figures out a way to 'fix' that problem, and what the actual player count is if they ever manage to get rid of the bots.

Today's dramatic drop off went from a high of about 250,000 players to a new low of about 120,000 people, and that number is still falling. I just wanted to check in to see if there was a legitimate reason for this (related to server issues or Steam problems), or if this implies that bots managed to make up more than half the game's population just 2 weeks after the last ban wave. That seems fascinating to me. That's not to say that I assume the game is a failure like some of the other games I mentioned, just that it's in an even weirder place where it seems unknowable how many real, human people are playing the game.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Server maintenance happened this morning so there's always a dip since it kicks off all the bots and all the players who never log off for whatever reason. Also, Wednesdays have no bosses/chaos gates/pirate ship event to do either so it's a low priority day for logins.

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
My alt engraving strategy was to buy up gold books for ether predator and lightning fury and build around them, and so far its helped me equip 3 alts for less than 6k gold each at 1415. Unfortunately, there's no relief for paladin.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

S.J. posted:

I finally hit 1415 and I guess I guess I'll, uh, spend the next 6 months hoping that decent relic accessories drop that I'll never be able to afford on the market

I don't think I spent that much getting my character to 4x3. I think I spent like 3-4k gold worth on the accessories? Maybe a bit more. I am not using grudge so I probably saved a bit of money because everyone is using it.

If I am to get a 5th engraving its probably grudge or cursed doll for the most damage so ugh I am not looking forward to that.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
Next week should have more players come back with a new class and passes going out for returning players.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I managed to snag some cheap stuff today so after I grab 2 more rings I'll have a beginner 4x3 ready to go for about 4k or so I think? A couple lvl 1 negatives but not huge.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 15, 2022

Mufasa Nigel
Jul 8, 2005

Velveteen posted:

I don't think I spent that much getting my character to 4x3. I think I spent like 3-4k gold worth on the accessories? Maybe a bit more. I am not using grudge so I probably saved a bit of money because everyone is using it.

If I am to get a 5th engraving its probably grudge or cursed doll for the most damage so ugh I am not looking forward to that.

I avoided grudge for the longest time but it's not that bad to be honest. The only alt that struggles is my gunslinger, but they're made of wet tissue paper as is. With so many animation locks, you kinda need to know a boss inside and out regardless so that extra damage taken doesn't matter.

Wardancer is quickly becoming my favourite class once I got 1415. Damage is finally really good, combined with crazy speed and low cool down dodge. Valtan didn't touch me until 30 secs into berserk, just so fun to play. Awful to get here though the warnings were right.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Yeah, Grudge gets a bad rap because of the randomness of damage in pretty much everything before Argos. Like every big fight up til Argos has the bosses doing huge attacks that are not particularly super well telegraphed and difficult to consistently dodge.

But in Valtan and Vykas, I think I've only died due to raw damage literally twice and all my other deaths have been straight up mechanical failures. Valtan G1 still has an appreciable amount of random damage that's difficult to avoid but past that things are way more telegraphed and easier to dodge.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Discospawn posted:

I like to check a handful of games' player counts routinely because it fascinates me when AAA titles like Battlefield 2042, New World, Halo Infinite, etc. manage to release in such a state that they result in nearly 0% player retention a short time after launch. It's easier to check the populations than to read each game's Steam page to check for updates or new content. I think it's interesting to dig deeper into colossal failures (even beyond the realm of video games), because ever case scenario usually has a different set of root causes for the failure.

For Lost Ark, I became intrigued with the game after the first bot ban wave revealed that there was something like a 10-1 bot-to-person ratio, which blew my mind because of how excessive that seemed. Since then, I've added the game to the list I follow to see if the game ever figures out a way to 'fix' that problem, and what the actual player count is if they ever manage to get rid of the bots.

Today's dramatic drop off went from a high of about 250,000 players to a new low of about 120,000 people, and that number is still falling. I just wanted to check in to see if there was a legitimate reason for this (related to server issues or Steam problems), or if this implies that bots managed to make up more than half the game's population just 2 weeks after the last ban wave. That seems fascinating to me. That's not to say that I assume the game is a failure like some of the other games I mentioned, just that it's in an even weirder place where it seems unknowable how many real, human people are playing the game.

It was never 10:1, that's a huge exaggeration. 4:1 at worst, concurrently logged in.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Zotix posted:

It was never 10:1, that's a huge exaggeration. 4:1 at worst, concurrently logged in.
Using numbers from steamdb.info, it shows that on June 12 the peak concurrent population was 886,000, and at this point the daily population graph didn't really show peaks or valleys because of how many bots made up the population 24/7.

If you look at the graph of the player population after the anti-bot measures and heavy ban wave 2 weeks ago, around July 1st, the concurrent population dipped to 90,000 players (presumably most of which were humans) at it's lowest point:

So during non-peak hours, I think it's pretty clear that the ratio was close to 10-1. You can argue that the ratio wasn't as bad during prime-time hours, when players made up a larger % of the population, which we can estimate to be around 150,000 players if we trust the highest peak after the ban wave, but even then you'd be looking at a 5-1 ratio.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

love to draw conclusions based on assumptions from youtube content creators

you just go "and we can assume" or "and it is clear" and bam you're talkin bout video games on the internet

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The player numbers really don't matter, they are what they are. This is a dead topic that won't go anywhere and I really wish we would drop it already, along with the bot talk. There are plenty of people still crying non-stop about this stuff on the Steam forums because that is where the unhinged gamers go.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Discospawn posted:

Using numbers from steamdb.info, it shows that on June 12 the peak concurrent population was 886,000, and at this point the daily population graph didn't really show peaks or valleys because of how many bots made up the population 24/7.

If you look at the graph of the player population after the anti-bot measures and heavy ban wave 2 weeks ago, around July 1st, the concurrent population dipped to 90,000 players (presumably most of which were humans) at it's lowest point:

So during non-peak hours, I think it's pretty clear that the ratio was close to 10-1. You can argue that the ratio wasn't as bad during prime-time hours, when players made up a larger % of the population, which we can estimate to be around 150,000 players if we trust the highest peak after the ban wave, but even then you'd be looking at a 5-1 ratio.

It's almost as if some legitimate players stopped playing. Your assumption is that all accounts no longer logged in are bots.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Discospawn posted:

This tells you literally nothing about the actual population disparity just fyi, you can't draw any actual conclusions from this graph

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Sure this game isn't as populated as the big mmos like wow or ff14. But there is plenty of players playing at end game if that is what you are worried about. I haven't run into any problems trying to do end game legion raids, or guardians or abyssal dungeons. This goes for tier 1-2 content. Matchmaking queues don't take longer than a few seconds. Party finder is takes a bit because people have to look for good players. End game takes awhile because of the lack of supports currently. If you're worried about the game dying off. It probably won't happen anytime soon so you can jump in and enjoy it while its still popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I do hope they consolidate a few populations together at some point but it doesn't feel anywhere near as bad New World. Holy poo poo.