Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/PaxMund/status/273868039257210881
https://twitter.com/PaxMund/status/273866467441774592

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Did they get tricked or was it instead the secret desire in all to restore the Roman Empire?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Blut posted:

Poor Cyprus still isn't unified.

the virginian republic of norther cyprus was a justified response to a military coup in ohio

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Arglebargle III posted:

Everyone forgets that Kansas City MO is the murder capital of the US.

As George H.W. Bush called it, Big MO.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

lmfao thank you for this news, twitter

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://www.vouchercloud.com/resources/national-animals

https://www.travelstride.com/blog/national-animals

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

dear god, I did not anticipate how much of a mindfuck that would be. everything looks like it's the wrong angle. how is south america reaching out that far. the south usually-west part of australia looks like someone's pulled it. my brain

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

I am grievously disappointed by the apparent lack of state flags featuring animals wearing shoes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Angepain posted:

dear god, I did not anticipate how much of a mindfuck that would be. everything looks like it's the wrong angle. how is south america reaching out that far. the south usually-west part of australia looks like someone's pulled it. my brain

Lima, Peru is the same time zone as New York or Halifax. South America is almost entirely displaced to not be directly below North America, and it's still weird despite knowing it to be true. My eyes just glaze over it on a standard map.

e: South America's easternmost point is the same longitude as Iceland, and its westernmost is the same as Lake Ontario. It's way out there.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 13, 2022

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Angepain posted:

Yeah it fucks with your head, everything seems off, nothing is as straight as you imagine it when it's not mirrored. :)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

A cool little map toy that's making the rounds today: place a raindrop anywhere on Earth and follow its route to the sea (or the local endorheic basin equivalent, as applicable).

https://river-runner-global.samlearner.com/

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

This feels like the map version of the Thatcher Effect illusion.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
This thing led me to learn that rain in my hometown passes through both Dead Indian Mountain and Robert Lee City. Yikes, Texas.

It also thinks the Rhin and the Rhein are different rivers. Hot political takes from 1870.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 13, 2022

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What exactly is going on with this?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's a plate carrée type map of the world flipped horizontally.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If you're looking at the world from inside the Hollow Earth (with X-Ray Specs) that's what it looks like.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Subjunctive posted:

What exactly is going on with this?

It's just flipped:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

FreudianSlippers posted:

If you're looking at the world from inside the Hollow Earth (with X-Ray Specs) that's what it looks like.

Emperor Penguins don't seem so cutesy now. I think they're in league with the reptiles.

Arabic scholars also liked the south=up map

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 13, 2022

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kamrat posted:

It's just flipped:

What projection is it? I feel like its one based on the equator and thus the 'top' of the earth feels elongated.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's one of the equirectangular ones where both north and south are skewed long, instead of say Big Greenland and Small Africa

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Cylindrical equidistant, maybe?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What projection is it? I feel like its one based on the equator and thus the 'top' of the earth feels elongated.

I believe it's the Plate carrée-projection

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kamrat posted:

I believe it's the Plate carrée-projection

Shoot, like Guavanaut said like five posts up. Thats what he was talking about :cripes:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
9 years in the map thread but still always new things to learn about maps

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This thing led me to learn that rain in my hometown passes through both Dead Indian Mountain and Robert Lee City. Yikes, Texas.

I bought some old maps from an area where I used to live and the name changes a certain very unimportant geological feature went from 1954 to the present were a doozy. The 1954 name was truly shocking when I found it to the point I won’t even repeat it to anyone.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

9 years in the map thread but still always lovely new maps to look at

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I wonder what the weather patterns would be like on Backwards World. Reversing the ocean gyres would gently caress everything up. You'd have, like, wet North Africa, and frozen Scotland, and Newfoundland like the south of France. *takes huge bong rip*

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Albino Squirrel posted:

I wonder what the weather patterns would be like on Backwards World. Reversing the ocean gyres would gently caress everything up. You'd have, like, wet North Africa, and frozen Scotland, and Newfoundland like the south of France. *takes huge bong rip*

That World Dream Bank site put some thought into a similar question: upside down. Unless my 3d visualization is screwed up that would change the wind and ocean currents in a similar way to a left-right inversion.

Oh, usual caveat: Other parts of the site feature some nws images.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

9 years in the map thread but still always lovely new maps to look at

:hai::hf::hai:

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lima, Peru is the same time zone as New York or Halifax. South America is almost entirely displaced to not be directly below North America, and it's still weird despite knowing it to be true. My eyes just glaze over it on a standard map.

e: South America's easternmost point is the same longitude as Iceland, and its westernmost is the same as Lake Ontario. It's way out there.

The most eastern point of Brazil is Cabo Branco at 35°W while the westernmost point of Iceland is 25°W. Even if you include tiny uninhabited outlying islands (Ilha do Boi / do Sul) they still don't quite overlap: Brazil has some islands out to 29°W and South Sandwich Islands to 26°W.

I'd never heard about those Brazilian islands though! I thought Fernando de Noronha was the furthest east island in Brazil (and it's at 32°W).

E: The westernmost point of South America is either 81°W (continental) or 92°W (Galapagos), or 109°W if you cheat (Easter Island). Lima (77°W) is 3° west of NYC. Galapagos is about the same as the westernmost tip of the Great Lakes, or Little Rock. Easter Island is just west of Denver.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 14, 2022

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And still no independence for Corsica.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Guavanaut posted:

And still no independence for Corsica.

Or Breizh

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Chilain’t

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I will join the Chilean mega-state.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yet another reason why Mercator is the superior projection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Make chile great again