Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Cythereal posted:

The implication I've gotten from the fluff is that they're so much more expensive to make than the standard production model for the Swarm that the strain just isn't available to most Cerebrates. We've seen Devouring Ones (elite zerglings) and Hunter-Killers (elite hydralisks) specifically associated with other Cerebrates, so I think it makes sense that those would be forms specifically favored by the Cerebrates in question over the standard model. Our playable Cerebrate is perhaps too young and inexperienced to start developing or using non-standard strains.

Given how evolutions work in SC2's Zerg campaign, I would 100% believe this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TeeQueue posted:

Given how evolutions work in SC2's Zerg campaign, I would 100% believe this.

It's beyond the scope of these games, but I'd imagine that how Zerg broods work is that the Overmind provides a core template of species to new Cerebrates, then as each Cerebrate grows older and more experienced they tailor their brood to their own preferences with mutations, assimilating new species, and generally customizing their forces.

I think SC2 multiplayer is a good example. Kerrigan opts for a brute force approach with great strategic mobility, Zagara favors all-out kamikaze aggression where she rapidly builds, loses, and rebuilds armies; Abathur goes for quality over quantity and rewards a more conservative style that preserves his units, and Stukov takes the idea of hordes of cheap and disposable minions to a level wholly beyond the others.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
That all makes a lot of sense

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Cythereal posted:

It's beyond the scope of these games, but I'd imagine that how Zerg broods work is that the Overmind provides a core template of species to new Cerebrates, then as each Cerebrate grows older and more experienced they tailor their brood to their own preferences with mutations, assimilating new species, and generally customizing their forces.
I can't remember if it's in SC2 or the surrounding fluff, but canon has clarified that this is pretty much dead-on. Each Cerebrate controls their own 'brood' and over time molds their individual brood to suit the way the Cerebrate prefers to fight, both in terms of overall force composition/mix and in terms of the mutations/species selected.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

The manual has a bit describing the different broods and their specialties, them being named after Norse mythology "bads". I think Zaas commands the Garmur brood for example. The Surtur brood, named after the fire giant who ends the world in Ragnarök, is mentioned being rather nasty in that it fights and kills everything it comes across, even other zerg.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MagusofStars posted:

I can't remember if it's in SC2 or the surrounding fluff, but canon has clarified that this is pretty much dead-on. Each Cerebrate controls their own 'brood' and over time molds their individual brood to suit the way the Cerebrate prefers to fight, both in terms of overall force composition/mix and in terms of the mutations/species selected.

Oh, neat. I never paid the fluff for Starcraft much mind.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ninjahedgehog posted:

I love how in the Mutalisk portrait you can see the little glaive wurm poking his head out. The cutest little parasite.

:3:
One more thing interesting about it - with most Zerg you get shots of their heads... But according to the pictures provided, this is in fact the Mutalisk's rear end.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cythereal posted:

Isnt this something we see later in the expansion?

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

Cythereal posted:

The implication I've gotten from the fluff is that they're so much more expensive to make than the standard production model for the Swarm that the strain just isn't available to most Cerebrates. We've seen Devouring Ones (elite zerglings) and Hunter-Killers (elite hydralisks) specifically associated with other Cerebrates, so I think it makes sense that those would be forms specifically favored by the Cerebrates in question over the standard model. Our playable Cerebrate is perhaps too young and inexperienced to start developing or using non-standard strains.

Yeah this is the general conceit behind Zerg heroes. I think the idea is that while, say, a Hunter-Killer is roughly twice as strong as a Hydra, making a carapace that thicc and spines that sharp without compromising any speed or maneuverability requires way more resources than two Hydras would. So for most purposes only the base Zerg strains are worth mutating with the elite strains reserved for special situations - similar to the reason why upgrades like Metabolic Boost are reserved for battlefield... retroevolution? Rather than grafted into the Zergling by default.

Of course, really it's all just a way to justify having Zerg hero units because the other races have hero units and Zerg couldn't be left out.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

That is the one nice thing about how the upgrade system works in SC2 campaign. Once you buy the shield for your marines, or choose which strain you are evolving your zerglings into, they are set for the rest of the campaign

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Aces High posted:

That is the one nice thing about how the upgrade system works in SC2 campaign. Once you buy the shield for your marines, or choose which strain you are evolving your zerglings into, they are set for the rest of the campaign

But the further you go the less permanent the upgrades get.

WoL upgrades were 100% locked in once you got them, HotS had the strain evolutions permanent but lesser evos and hero loadout could be changed up, then LotV you could freely change your entire kit whenever you want.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Is it confirmed that cerebrates can't defy the Overmind? It seems like you'd only distribute elite broods to the most loyal of the zerg.

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015
The cerebrate is a building structure in game if I remember correctly though it's been ages since I played SC.

How did the player cerebrate travel all the way from Tarsonis to Char or were we in Char all this time?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Zerg consciousnesses is unmoored from the biological body, even if the biological body helps with a lot of tasks.

If a cerebrate needs to move, they upload their mind to the cloud Swarm, spawn a new body in the new location and download back into it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

shoc77 posted:

The cerebrate is a building structure in game if I remember correctly though it's been ages since I played SC.

How did the player cerebrate travel all the way from Tarsonis to Char or were we in Char all this time?

You go through some kind of warpspace jump

Zasz - mission 2 ending posted:

Prepare yourself, Cerebrate. Your first jump through warp space could be… unsettling.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

anilEhilated posted:

One more thing interesting about it - with most Zerg you get shots of their heads... But according to the pictures provided, this is in fact the Mutalisk's rear end.

It's beautiful.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Is it confirmed that cerebrates can't defy the Overmind? It seems like you'd only distribute elite broods to the most loyal of the zerg.

Yep! This is something we'll see in... Two missions, I think? Ironically for the only faction without any robots, the Zerg seem to be the ones that stick closest to Asimov's Laws of Robotics - the idea seems to be that Cerebrates have their own personalities, their own agendas, and even their own wills, but are unable to disobey a directive from the Overmind or do anything that would bring harm to the Overmind, the Swarm, or one another.

The justification for this is that self-willed Cerebrates that are able to compete with one another will hone each other to become more cunning and able whereas Cerebrates that were purely just personality-less extensions of the Overmind's will would stagnate and fail to adapt.

Of course, they're all a part of the hive mind, and the Overmind is the hive mind, so to an extent this is kinda the equivalent of a bored kid who's been grounded putting on an elaborate puppet show for himself in his room.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean, the brain is stupid complicated. There are a bunch of weird cases where part of the brain is severed and limbs act without conscious choice, but they still end up coordinating to like eat and stuff.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

True. I believe it was the great physicist Emerson Pugh who said "If the Zerg Overmind were so simple that we could understand it, we would be so simple that we couldn't."

Also I'm considering changing my posting approach a little. To my surprise, I've discovered that the Unit Spotlights take considerably more time to do than the actual proper updates, so I might switch it up a little? I'm still going to do spotlights for every unit, but I might stop trying to do a spotlight after every single mission, as that seems to be the biggest culprit in slowing down updates. Instead I'll kinda just do them as I can, and if I'm not able to get all the Zerg units spotlighted before we finish the campaign, I'll save the remainder for the BW campaign.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

JohnKilltrane posted:

True. I believe it was the great physicist Emerson Pugh who said "If the Zerg Overmind were so simple that we could understand it, we would be so simple that we couldn't."

Also I'm considering changing my posting approach a little. To my surprise, I've discovered that the Unit Spotlights take considerably more time to do than the actual proper updates, so I might switch it up a little? I'm still going to do spotlights for every unit, but I might stop trying to do a spotlight after every single mission, as that seems to be the biggest culprit in slowing down updates. Instead I'll kinda just do them as I can, and if I'm not able to get all the Zerg units spotlighted before we finish the campaign, I'll save the remainder for the BW campaign.

I'd like to ask if you could put a little border or at least whitespace between screencaps. I've seen other LPers do that, and I find the continuous images with no spacing to be rather hard on the eyes.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

JustJeff88 posted:

I'd like to ask if you could put a little border or at least whitespace between screencaps. I've seen other LPers do that, and I find the continuous images with no spacing to be rather hard on the eyes.

Oh, smart! I like it, thanks. Do you have a link to an LP I could look to for an example?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

If you're changing things around anyway, I had a dumb issue recently: the page loaded extremely slowly. Most of the images failed to properly load, and I had to F5 the page like 10 times until they finally all appeared on screen. This is the only SSLP thread this happened in, and I dimly remember having similar issues when I first binged on the content of the thread.

Is it possible that your images are massively bigger than in other LP threads? I am garbage with computer numbers, so I don't know if this would be an obvious answer for other people, but I feel like ~2 MB per is a bit much. Probably jpg instead of png would help already? Many people read threads on their phone nowadays, so the quality loss would not be noticeable, and barely on PC.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

JohnKilltrane posted:

Oh, smart! I like it, thanks. Do you have a link to an LP I could look to for an example?

I did not expect you to ask that. I assume that most people just hit enter twice between each pic?

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Yeah, I just use an empty line between consecutive images if there isn't any commentary.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

JustJeff88 posted:

I did not expect you to ask that. I assume that most people just hit enter twice between each pic?

Oh wow I completely misread your post. I was thinking people were like editing white borders onto their pictures. Man, I need to start getting more sleep. Anyway, yes, that's an extremely reasonable request and one that's easily done. I'll do that moving forward (and, when I get the chance, go back and edit previous ones)

Simply Simon posted:

If you're changing things around anyway, I had a dumb issue recently: the page loaded extremely slowly. Most of the images failed to properly load, and I had to F5 the page like 10 times until they finally all appeared on screen. This is the only SSLP thread this happened in, and I dimly remember having similar issues when I first binged on the content of the thread.

Is it possible that your images are massively bigger than in other LP threads? I am garbage with computer numbers, so I don't know if this would be an obvious answer for other people, but I feel like ~2 MB per is a bit much. Probably jpg instead of png would help already? Many people read threads on their phone nowadays, so the quality loss would not be noticeable, and barely on PC.

Yeah! I can look into that for sure. Is it an issue with all updates, or only certain ones? I try to keep my pictures between 1 and 1.25 MB, but it occurs to me that with Spotlights I'm mostly grabbing pictures from the internet and/or screencaps from Youtube, and those might be pushing 2 MB easy. If it's a general issue I'll look into changing the format to jpg, if it's specific to the spotlights then maybe I just need to be more judicious with resizing those. I mean, just from a visual design perspective it would probably help to have a standard size for the pictures for those anyway. That seems obvious in retrospect. Oh well.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

JohnKilltrane posted:

Oh wow I completely misread your post. I was thinking people were like editing white borders onto their pictures. Man, I need to start getting more sleep. Anyway, yes, that's an extremely reasonable request and one that's easily done. I'll do that moving forward (and, when I get the chance, go back and edit previous ones)

I definitely would not ask you to do something as complex and time-intensive as putting borders on everything. Also, don't feel compelled to come up with text for every snap, either.

I will say that this little visual niggle probably bothers me more than most because they are darker pictures and I use a black computer background everywhere. For those of you who use high-contrast white, it's probably less egregious.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Although it's no spoiler StarCraft I really like the info posts on unit mechanics, like muta hot boxing and whatnot. I was only ever silver league level and the lore posts are nostalgic, but the stuff about pathfinding and counters is fascinating for me

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Simply Simon posted:

I've had this issue as well

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ilmucche posted:

It's weird, but i have too, not on just this lp though.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Explopyro posted:

Yeah, I just use an empty line between consecutive images if there isn't any commentary.
Yeah, this is basically all you need to do. If you've already got commentary there, then it's fine, then it's fine, but if you have a string of photos back-to-back-to-back, just adding one extra line in between helps make it a bit more readable

I will also say I've had no issues with load times, but I also mostly view long LP posts on my PC, so idk, maybe it's more of an issue on mobile.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

ilmucche posted:

Same, on this thread, too.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

MagusofStars posted:

I will also say I've had no issues with load times, but I also mostly view long LP posts on my PC, so idk, maybe it's more of an issue on mobile.

Same. No problems, but I only read the forums on my desktop.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

I've had the slow image loading problem many times, but not in this thread.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

It might also be an LPix overload thing and OP is blameless. I did actually "F5", though - I had the issue on a laptop connected via ethernet.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It'd probably be worth batch processing update images through irfanview or similar for some compression, because it looks like you're using lossless png and there's some pretty easy gains to be had here:

Compare these two.

if you pixel peep you might spot the differences, but it's literally one megabyte saved on this image alone, multiply that by the number of images per update and you get some big numbers. (1.44MB PNG => 434KB JPEG) and I'm sure this could be tuned better if you really need to, I just slapped it into the default settings I had saved.

Psion fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 15, 2022

Modoh
Jul 23, 2007

JohnKilltrane posted:

Explosive attacks, by the way, comprise roughly 80% of anti-air damage. Wraiths, Goliaths, Missile Turrets, Hydras, Spore Colonies, Dragoons, Scouts, Photon Cannons, you name it - they’re all doing half damage to Mutas.

A note on this: they patched the game early on to make photon cannons do normal damage, because Protoss had nothing that could handle defending Muta harass at all before Templar. This was pre-Brood War, so Dragoon range was shorter and they didn't have their new unit. Spore colonies got changed to normal as well around the time of BW's release.

I don't know if these changes made their way back to the campaign, though.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Original SC + BW were before Blizzard implemented separation between single-player and multiplayer balance iirc, so all unit changes in patches got applied to the campaign as well.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Did anyone else think that science vessels were orbs? I never actually saw the concept art for them until this lp...

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Did anyone else think that science vessels were orbs? I never actually saw the concept art for them until this lp...

I did. Ofc, I didn't speak English at the time and could barely read some of it.

I remember being so into the Zerg that I'd just boot up the game and play the vanilla SC Zerg mission briefings over and over to hear the Overmind speak to me. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Not gonna lie. I missed the text on the cutscene they appear in so I too thought it was a little ball flying in atmosphere rather than a disk thing in space.