Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Since they made Kamala a mutant that is basically the death blow for the Inhumans in the MCU. Not entirely unreasonable, since they are basically the same powers-wise, but the Inhumans have all of the civilization backstory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Ralph Boner, The Mandarin reveal, and setting up the comics-accurate Winter Soldier program only for Zemo to reveal that he killed all of them were all very good. Trolling the fans is generally very funny and the reactions to the Mandarin/Ralph were even funnier.

Those examples all got to the punchline quickly. When have they trolled across numerous movies/shows?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

live with fruit posted:

Those examples all got to the punchline quickly. When have they trolled across numerous movies/shows?

Constantly cutting off the Avengers Assemble line and faking someone else picking up Mjolnir.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Since they made Kamala a mutant that is basically the death blow for the Inhumans in the MCU. Not entirely unreasonable, since they are basically the same powers-wise, but the Inhumans have all of the civilization backstory.

for introducing the Inhumans as they were in the comics from 2013-2018 or thereabouts, most likely correct. The Royal Family characters will probably get a proper MCU reboot eventually, though don’t ask me when.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Constantly cutting off the Avengers Assemble line and faking someone else picking up Mjolnir.

Those were teases.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Barry Convex posted:

for introducing the Inhumans as they were in the comics from 2013-2018 or thereabouts, probably. The Royal Family characters will probably get a proper MCU reboot eventually, though don’t ask me when.

I wonder if they've buried the Inhumans to spite Perlmutter.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I have no problem with Inhumans all just being Mutants because trying to do both is silly and goofy.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
maybe being from 'another realm' makes you a mutant in this realm.

Kamala is a mutant since her Great Grandma was from the Light realm
So Shang Chi and Xialing could be part mutants since their mom is from Ta-Lo?
America Chavez could be a mutant?

This falls apart pretty fast

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

maybe being from 'another realm' makes you a mutant in this realm.

Kamala is a mutant since her Great Grandma was from the Light realm
So Shang Chi and Xialing could be part mutants since their mom is from Ta-Lo?
America Chavez could be a mutant?

This falls apart pretty fast

The Snap makes sense as a trigger but then Magneto can no longer be a Holocaust survivor and his and Professor X's leadership is shakier. So maybe not.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

live with fruit posted:

The Snap makes sense as a trigger but then Magneto can no longer be a Holocaust survivor and his and Professor X's leadership is shakier. So maybe not.

I would be happy with the idea that mutants already existed but there were only, like, a dozen of them. More of an Umbrella Academy scenario. "On the 12th hour of the first day of October 1989, 43 women around the world gave birth. Sir Charles Xavier, eccentric professor and adventurer, resolved to locate and adopt as many of the children as possible. He got five of them." And then the snap (or anything) triggered mass activations, so it switches from 60's style setting where "mutants" meant like 6 people, to the 2022 style setting where it refers to a nation state of hundreds of thousands of members across like 15 comics.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Barry Convex posted:

having said that, it feels kinda shoehorned in given that she already had an origin provided in this series, and I’m honestly not sure how the bangle/Clandestine/Noor stuff fits in. does Kamala have a set of purely genetic powers without the bangle that we haven’t seen yet? Or was all the Pakistan backstory a red herring that has nothing to do with her powers, which seems implausible given the amount of time spent on it and Kamran’s very similar abilities? Or were the Clandestines just mutants all along who only happened to reside in a different dimension? The last one seems like the most plausible to me, but their being mutants doesn’t quite square with their having the same (fairly low-level) powers.

post-credit scene was a nice little tease, I guess the bangles are the MCU version of the Nega-Bands?

Yeah I don't know if it's a hot take or whatever but I really don't like the mutant reveal. Like, we spent all this time establishing that she's got powers because she's from this clan of people from another world. And sure they can justify it by saying they need to establish why she gets powers while the rest of her family doesn't but like... not everything needs an explanation. Maybe the Clandestine powers skip a few generations, who knows, who cares, they established it's loving magic from another dimension, it doesn't need to make sense!

I don't know, maybe I'm just bothered because I felt the line was really clunky (I mean Jesus I got it guys, you didn't have to put in the X-Men theme to drive the point home) but it just seemed to undercut a pretty significant part of the show.

live with fruit posted:

I wonder if they've buried the Inhumans to spite Perlmutter.

I doubt it, they're probably just waiting until Inhumans (the lovely TV show) is sufficiently memory-holed. I don't think Marvel's ever gonna cast any character/concept aside, if only because due to actor contracts and the fact that Disney is yet to develop the technology to make characters stop aging like in comics, they're gonna have to keep digging into the IP well and Inhumans have a bunch of characters.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

TwoPair posted:

I don't know, maybe I'm just bothered because I felt the line was really clunky (I mean Jesus I got it guys, you didn't have to put in the X-Men theme to drive the point home) but it just seemed to undercut a pretty significant part of the show.

Based on this thread, they definitely did have to put it in.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Bisha K. Ali: “a lot of the story for the Clandestines and the Red Daggers ended up getting truncated”

https://deadline.com/2022/07/ms-marvel-finale-credits-surprise-captain-marvel-1235063656/

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

Bisha K. Ali: “a lot of the story for the Clandestines and the Red Daggers ended up getting truncated”

https://deadline.com/2022/07/ms-marvel-finale-credits-surprise-captain-marvel-1235063656/

haha i like Ali flatly saying no, kamran was never gonna be a bad guy, "I will not write a young Muslim boy as a bad guy."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

eke out posted:

haha i like Ali flatly saying no, kamran was never gonna be a bad guy, "I will not write a young Muslim boy as a bad guy."

What about the kid she rescues early on that was clearly only in there because he was the shoe thief?!?!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I was about to be so pissed off when the show had the cops form a line to protect the folks from Damage Control because that would have been the most unrealistic dumbest thing ever so I appreciated that they had the cops make a big show of doing that but but then just immediately let them walk through anyway, that was PERFECT.

Also lol I liked how they emphasized how supposedly Damage Control was trying to do this non-lethally but every missed shot they show the impact/damage makes it obvious they were shooting to kill. I think the only reason they even had the force guns in the show at all was to avoid having their show include a sequence of using real guns to shoot kids in a school, since once everyone's outside they have no problem using lethal ammo.

Anyway overall show was excellent, and I liked the pacing waaaaaaaay more than any of the other Disney Marvel shows.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

They nailed the ending, that was just delightful. I wish the Clan Destines had either been a little more developed or just left for a second season and the Pakistan stuff took a bit too much time from the real strength of this series, Kamala's relationship with her family, friends, and community, but everything else was perfect, and most importantly they got the feel right. And everyone was perfectly cast, none more so than Iman Vellani. Really looking forward to seeing more of her in The Marvels and more of everyone in Season 2 (I sure as hell hope there's going to be a Season 2). My favorite MCU show so far.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

live with fruit posted:

Solution is simple Uighur Magneto

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

There's always a convenient genocide for an origin story. Could also be black man in America Magneto

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Elendil004 posted:

There's always a convenient genocide for an origin story. Could also be black man in America Magneto

only if Avery Brooks gets to play Xavier. He must always be played by a Star Fleet captain.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Marsupial Ape posted:

only if Avery Brooks gets to play Xavier. He must always be played by a Star Fleet captain.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Unless Magneto is just ripped wholesale from time or another universe they're just gonna make him like a Sokovia refugee or something and it will be bad

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Harlock posted:

Unless Magneto is just ripped wholesale from time or another universe they're just gonna make him like a Sokovia refugee or something and it will be bad

If they made Magneto an American Black man, would they also have to make up a fake southern state for him to have grown up in?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I don't care how they do it, but the nerd rage could fuel the planet for generations to come if it doesn't incinerate us all immediately.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Harlock posted:

It steps on Ms. Marvel’s feet a bit, but they can just make his parents holocaust survivors and maybe his powers can manifest when he stops a bunch of skinheads attacking a synagogue in the 80s or something.

They absolutely should not blackwash the character, that would be crazy.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Firebert posted:

It steps on Ms. Marvel’s feet a bit, but they can just make his parents holocaust survivors and maybe his powers can manifest when he stops a bunch of skinheads attacking a synagogue in the 80s or something.

Making Magneto not Jewish would be crazy.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Great finale, looks like I now have to watch Captain Marvel AND Wandavision if I want to understand anything at all by the time The Marvels comes out, though.

Which, I don't have a problem with per se, but just like the comics it's impossible to follow ONE particular character's story without having to read (or in this case, watch) a whole bunch of crossover bullshit featuring other characters I don't really care about.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Dell_Zincht posted:

Great finale, looks like I now have to watch Captain Marvel AND Wandavision if I want to understand anything at all by the time The Marvels comes out, though.

I don't think you need to do that, the movie will explain the essentials of all the characters. But if you want the best experience then watching those other shows and movies will certainly help.
There really isn't a perfect way to do this sort of thing, I think this format is the best available.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Captain Marvel is a cosmic powered superhero who's best friend's daughter recently got energy powers, there that's all the context you need

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Oasx posted:

I don't think you need to do that, the movie will explain the essentials of all the characters. But if you want the best experience then watching those other shows and movies will certainly help.
There really isn't a perfect way to do this sort of thing, I think this format is the best available.

Is Wandavision actually any good? I've had Disney+ since it came out in the UK and Ms. Marvel is literally the only Marvel show I've watched on it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's generally regarded as one of the strongest of the MCU shows. It's got a good core conceit that carries through the series which gives it more structure than the others though the ending diverts to a typical Marvel finale

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I cheered when I heard the music stinger and the final credits scene has got me super interested in The Marvels (more so than I was) so good setup from the end of a D+ show.

I'm not sure where I'd rank Ms. Marvel yet for the D+ shows yet, but it definitely had one of if not the strongest finales of all of them without feeling like it was directly waiting for season 2. i.e. Loki which I really liked but was a huge cliffhanger.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Firebert posted:

live with fruit posted:

Making Magneto not Jewish would be crazy.

The concept of mutants was just a stand in for race in the first place on Stan Lee's word, and Magneto was only made Jewish by Chris Claremont 12 years after his introduction in 1975; so I really don't get why making Xavier and Magneto Black and not Jewish would be crazy.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I don't think erasing the history of comic's most well known Jewish character would go down well

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Why not have characters who have been Jewish since their introduction like Ben Grimm and Kitty Pryde, while using mutants to more directly talk about the thing they were created to talk about in the first place?

Or poo poo, just make Magneto Black and Jewish.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The best way around it is just to have Magneto age slowly like Wolverine. Have him born in the late 1800s or something so he can experience the entire 20th century.

Just write it off as his magnetic abilities naturally slowing down his rate of cell decay or something.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

tsob posted:

Or poo poo, just make Magneto Black and Jewish.

He's already too powerful, as it is!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
If American schools aren't allowed to teach people about the Holocaust anymore then it's up to the MCU to do it.

No, listen, in all seriousness: Acknowledging the atrocities of the Holocaust has always been very important, of course. But I'd say that if there was ever a time that we absolutely, unambiguously needed to bring the exact unsanitized truth of the Holocaust back into the forefront of public consciousness in undeniable, un-ignorable ways? It would be now.

Changing Magneto's origins into another historical atrocity has always been a real dumb idea for a variety of reasons, yes I said what I said, no I didn't stutter. But especially now in this time, when an entire demographic of Americans are hellbent on whitewashing history and silencing the ugly realities of the past and especially on rekindling antisemitism in every way they can? Now is especially all hells of not the time to change the identity of the one comic character whose identity has been so fundamentally linked to the Holocaust for so many years in such an eminent way.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
you know how they sell those anti-aging magnetic bracelets? well magneto can do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

BrianWilly posted:

No, listen, in all seriousness: Acknowledging the atrocities of the Holocaust has always been very important, of course. But I'd say that if there was ever a time that we absolutely, unambiguously needed to bring the exact unsanitized truth of the Holocaust back into the forefront of public consciousness in undeniable, un-ignorable ways? It would be now.

By that same token, race relations have always been contentious in America, but maybe talking about them is extra important in a time when lots of people feel like racism basically no longer exists, when people are trying to ban teaching the history and context of it in schools, where killing mutan...Black people has caused months long periods of rioting world wide etc.

And again, there were Black people in German concentration camps (a thing you could just fabricate for your story, even if it weren't true) and there have been Black Jews for centuries, so maybe just make Magneto Black and Jewish to address both at once.

Like, here's a pitch; Magneto's grandfather was killed in a concentration camp, his father in race riots and then people tried to kill Erik himself once he manifested his power. Bam! All 3 things linked together narratively, so now you can show those things all in one (or more) flashback, and have Magneto talk about those 3 things any time you want as well as motivate him.

tsob fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 14, 2022