Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

nine-gear crow posted:

It's that scene at the end of The Boys this year where Homelander just murders a man in a fit of rage in front of a crowd of people. Initial horror and confusion quickly giving way to nervous laughter and then supportive cheers, because their guy just murdered congress. gently caress YEAH! :dance:

i mean yeah basicaly. again, trump could kill a white baby girl Infront of his audience graphically and they would probably cheer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean yeah basicaly. again, trump could kill a white baby girl Infront of his audience graphically and they would probably cheer.

people keep repeating poo poo like this and it's dumb and a relic of like 2014 brain because at the moment trump can't even call up a former lawyer without getting the doj notified of potential witness tampering

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Dr. Faustus posted:

Read a thing for fucks sake.

National guard not police. Capitol police don’t operate at the presidents leisure nor do the dc police. If the cops had treated a literal coup with the same seriousness as say people protesting near a church or the Supreme Court the January 6ers would have been torn to pieces like a wet Kleenex.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

people keep repeating poo poo like this and it's dumb and a relic of like 2014 brain because at the moment trump can't even call up a former lawyer without getting the doj notified of potential witness tampering

What does that have to do with his base? They're still posting pictures of him glowing like Jesus.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

deathbysnusnu posted:

National guard not police. Capitol police don’t operate at the presidents leisure nor do the dc police. If the cops had treated a literal coup with the same seriousness as say people protesting near a church or the Supreme Court the January 6ers would have been torn to pieces like a wet Kleenex.

There was a bunch of stuff that went down afterwards vis a vis what the capitol police were ordered to prepare for that day and it led to the immediate resignation of both the senate and the house sergeant at arms (who make up 2/3 of the board administering the capitol police). There was apparently pressure to adopt a very minimal policing presence on 1/6 and it certainly appears that they received essentially identical orders as the national guard wrt using crowd control weapons.

One of whom was found dead at home the day before Hutchinson testified to congress.

DC metro police were not significantly involved in the initial capitol security plan on 1/6. They also were not acting with any artificial restraint on 1/5, 1/6, or after as far as I have seen or heard.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 13, 2022

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

There was a bunch of stuff that went down afterwards vis a vis what the capitol police were ordered to prepare for that day and it led to the immediate resignation of both the senate and the house sergeant at arms (who make up 2/3 of the board administering the capitol police). There was apparently pressure to adopt a very minimal policing presence on 1/6 and it certainly appears that they received essentially identical orders as the national guard wrt using crowd control weapons.

One of whom was found dead at home the day before Hutchinson testified to congress.

Doesn’t take a genius to realize the violent mob moving in on congress changes things. They had the better part of the day to do something other than stand with their dicks in their hands. If the crowd were leftists or anything other than lily white the first person with authority would gotten every single person with as much firepower and force as humanly possible to Capitol Hill in under 15 minutes.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

deathbysnusnu posted:

Doesn’t take a genius to realize the violent mob moving in on congress changes things. They had the better part of the day to do something other than stand with their dicks in their hands. If the crowd were leftists or anything other than lily white the first person with authority would gotten every single person with as much firepower and force as humanly possible to Capitol Hill in under 15 minutes.

my thesis in bringing that up is that yes there were clearly orders given to make sure that they did not provide any meaningful deterrence to Trump's crowd. wrt the violent mob moving in changing stuff, that's where the specific orders post above preventing the DCNG from assisting become relevant.

both sergeant at arms' testimonies are pretty deeply unsatisfying in terms of explaining just how the gently caress such an egregious failure happened.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 13, 2022

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

my thesis in bringing that up is that yes there were clearly orders given to make sure that they did not provide any meaningful deterrence to Trump's crowd

both sergeant at arms' testimonies are pretty deeply unsatisfying in terms of explaining just how the gently caress such an egregious failure happened.

This tracks with some of them being so distraught and guilt-ridden they would choose suicide. Man, what a fuckin' shitshow.

And as I recall every single one of us that day expected the Cap PD to get wet.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

my thesis in bringing that up is that yes there were clearly orders given to make sure that they did not provide any meaningful deterrence to Trump's crowd

The obvious explanation is cops are chuds and did the bare minimum because they were sympathetic to the insurrectionists. Regardless of direct orders there would have been a bloodbath for all non chud riots going at the Capitol. It’s the same poo poo where a white dude can brandish a weapon at a cop and is politely talked down while everyone else gets shot 50 times, doesn’t matter what department policy is on paper the outcomes are baked in.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

deathbysnusnu posted:

The obvious explanation is cops are chuds and did the bare minimum because they were sympathetic to the insurrectionists. Regardless of direct orders there would have been a bloodbath for all non chud riots going at the Capitol. It’s the same poo poo where a white dude can brandish a weapon at a cop and is politely talked down while everyone else gets shot 50 times, doesn’t matter what department policy is on paper the outcomes are baked in.

yes american policing is an absolute tire fire, but in this case it does matter if they are a tire fire by choice or if there were specific orders to be worthless that perhaps came in coordination with other orders for other organizations involved in the response to also be ineffective

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

deathbysnusnu posted:

Are DC police in charge of security at the Capital though?

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

I absolutely guarantee that any deaths of congresspeople as a result of the insurrection would, should it succeed at all, be wholeheartedly embraced, and I also guarantee that any congresspeople caught by the mob (not the OK/PB), would almost certainly have been killed or severely injured. I include true believers and even conspirators in this - Hawley, Gaetz, Jordan, Boebert, you name them - because you can't control a mob, and a mob is, by definition, running on pure rage, with the actions of individuals determined by the actions of everyone around them. Trumpers who were actively engaged in trying to get certification tossed back to the states were freaking out and trying to get Trump to call it off; they were well aware of this danger, and it's only because the immediate danger has passed and they've convinced themselves they won't be in the crosshairs again and will actively benefit so long as they continue to embrace him. I offer as a scrap of proof that video clip where rioters were pawing through random documents in the Senate chamber and they initially misread something Ted Cruz had, jumping instantly to the belief that he was a traitor despite him being one of the people vocally attempting to derail certification. And those folks didn't have him right there, it wasn't heat of the moment with a target within reach, it was when that particular group was milling around and largely loving about. Bringing up the reaction of Ashli Babbitt's group to spotting congressional staffers evacuating past the police barricade again as well; they didn't recognize any of those people, and it didn't matter.

If the insurrection had succeeded, it wouldn't have mattered who or how many were killed in the process, every bit of it would have been justified and waved away, just as every bit of what did happen has been justified and waved away, even though the coup has not (yet, yet) succeeded.

As far as individuals though, Romney was already considered a turbo-traitor, and if Goodman hadn't turned him around, he would 100% have died. Trump specifically set the mob on Pence, and doubled down as the building was under siege. Pelosi was the communist devil who likes to eat babies and disrespected daddy, and they went thundering through her offices trying to find her and screaming for the cops to bring her out. Absolutely nothing good comes of thinking of what would have happened if they'd caught any member of the Squad, but particularly AOC, and the "leftist" ghouls that set about mocking her being for afraid and triggered by past sexual abuse trauma are irredeemable pieces of poo poo. Any of these folks dying would be very specifically celebrated by the people who are still Trump's base, and it's possible elected Republicans might have displayed some deep concern, but who the hell knows at this point, even their own lives being in danger wasn't enough of a crossed line.

In any case, any deaths of actual targeted members of congress or the VP; no matter how awful those folks might be, would be blood in the water, and would have galvanized and radicalized the base even further. It certainly would have driven the mob to even further heights of violence. There would have been no net benefit for the world if that had happened, it would have made everything so, so, so much worse.

edit: also worth noting that, while it tends to get lost in the shuffle, Kamala Harris was yards away from the pipe bomb left at the DNC for at least two hours.

kartikeya fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 13, 2022

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/ryanobles/status/1547390376763445249

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Trump very mad about the burger throwing story being corroborated.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Any theories on who that might be?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Has anybody checked on the White House coffee delivery staff recently? :ohdear:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The source for that claim would be as interesting as the identity of the person called, and both are wide-open fields.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Cimber posted:

Are DC police in charge of security at the Capital though?

911 operator what is your emergency… you’re on the Capitol police force and a crowd of armed men are attempting to murder Congress and you need help? Sorry that’s not our jurisdiction have a nice day! The cops didn’t do poo poo because they were complicit. They would have suffered zero negative consequences for actually doing their jobs but opted not to.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

cr0y posted:

Any theories on who that might be?

I'm guessing Sarah Matthews, former deputy press secretary. Young, apparently friendly with Cassidy and of course Trump would not try to bully a young woman, right?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

poo poo like that makes me worried what world we would be in if they had gotten romney or pelosi or even gotten to pence.

:same:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

quote:

First on CNN: Trump tried to call a member of the White House support staff talking with January 6 committee, sources say

CNN
— Former President Donald Trump tried to call a member of the White House support staff who was talking to the House select committee investigating January 6, 2021, two sources familiar with the matter tell CNN.

The support staffer was not someone who routinely communicated with the former President and was concerned about the contact, according to the sources, and informed their attorney.

The call was made after former Trump White House aide Cassidy Hutchinson testified publicly to the committee. The White House staffer was in a position to corroborate part of what Hutchinson had said under oath, according to the sources.

CNN was told the position of the witness Trump tried to call, but not the person’s name. Details about the witness Trump tried to contact have not been previously reported.

The initial revelation about Trump’s phone call was made in a dramatic moment at the end of this week’s hearing by committee Vice Chair Liz Cheney. Cheney, a Wyoming Republican, revealed that Trump “tried to call” an unnamed witness in the committee’s investigation. She said that witness “declined to answer or respond” to Trump’s call and instead alerted their lawyer. The committee has since supplied that information to the Department of Justice.

“We will take any effort to influence witness testimony very seriously,” Cheney said Tuesday during the hearing.

A spokesperson for the House select committee declined to comment. A Trump spokesperson did not immediately respond to a request to comment.

Rep. Pete Aguilar, a California Democrat who serves on the committee, told CNN on Tuesday that the individual Trump tried to call has been speaking with the panel.

“Trump himself had called someone who has been talking with us,” Aguilar said.

A source familiar with the panel’s investigation added that the committee has spoken to the person Trump tried to call, but not as part of a deposition.

Mississippi Democratic Rep. Bennie Thompson, the chairman of the committee, told CNN Wednesday that Trump attempting to call this witness was concerning enough to raise it to the Department of Justice.

“From my vantage point, it is highly unusual to do that, and that’s why we more or less put that in the hands of the Justice Department, for them to make that decision,” Thompson said, when asked if the act of Trump calling the person was enough evidence to determine whether he was attempting to intimidate a witness. “We are concerned about witnesses’ safety.”

This is not the first time the committee has raised concerns about potential witness tampering.

“This has been an ongoing pattern and we’re trying to send the message that witness tampering is a crime in the United States of America. People should not be approaching witnesses to try to get them to alter their testimony,” Maryland Democratic Rep. Jamie Raskin, who serves on the panel, told CNN on Tuesday.

At the end of the hearing featuring Hutchinson last month, Cheney brought up two examples of possible witness intimidation without naming a witness or who had made contact. Sources have told CNN that both instances recounted by Cheney in that June hearing had been directed at Hutchinson, and that Hutchinson believes the messages were intended to influence her testimony.

In one instance, Cheney said a witness received a call in which someone said: “(A person) let me know you have your deposition tomorrow. He wants me to let you know that he’s thinking about you. He knows you’re loyal, and you’re going to do the right thing when you go in for your deposition.”

Multiple sources previously told CNN the witness was Hutchinson and the “person” referred to in the message, which was redacted in the version projected on a screen during the hearing, was former White House chief of staff Meadows.

Ben Williamson, a spokesperson for Meadows, denied that Meadows or anyone in his “camp” attempted to intimidate Hutchinson or influence her testimony.

“No one from Meadows camp, himself or otherwise, ever sought to intimidate or shape her conversations with the committee,” Williamson told CNN.

The second example previously cited by the committee – a witness statement detailing the pressure campaign from Trump’s orbit – also involved Hutchinson, the sources told CNN.

“What they said to me is, as long as I continue to be a team player, they know that I’m on the team. I’m doing the right thing. I’m protecting who I need to protect, you know, I’ll continue to stay in good graces in Trump World,” Cheney said at the hearing, relaying the witness statement that sources now say is Hutchinson. “And they have reminded me a couple of times that Trump does read transcripts and just to keep that in mind as I proceed through my depositions and interviews with the committee.”

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/13/politics/trump-contact-white-house-support-staffer-january-6-committee/index.html

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Not sure if this was posted, good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuvm2UwMP0w

https://twitter.com/MotherJones/status/1547336911596900352

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I bet he threw a burger at the wall when Casey told the story.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Would be pretty great if Trump got busted for intimidating a coffee boy that he barely knew

Bendhozia
Jul 12, 2022

I can't download a new release movie without getting an ISP letter in my inbox but ask me the last time I've been to a theater.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

OgNar posted:

We never did find out who the Starfleet guy was from the previous one.

That horrible loving tie...

Who is the woman behind him who looks incredibly disgusted?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Can you explain what leads you to this impression?

That's a very definitive take from apparently very little date.

Despite the constant tweeting, Trump has never been stupid enough to put his more criminal acts in any kind of written exchanges and he's rarely if ever been direct about it. All of his circle has stated, "yeah Jan 6 is gonna a big day, get ready for the craziness" and his loyalists knew that meant "we're getting ready for war" but that's because Trump has spent months stoking tensions.

Anything he's ever said has been circuitous. He told Comey "Can you see yourself letting this go (in regards to the Flynn investigation)". His lawyer told Bannon's lawyer "feel free to invoke any privilege you think you have (without ever saying I invoke executive privilege)". He told Flynn "we're behind you as long as you don't snitch (dangling the idea of a pardon without saying so)".

He and his inner circle knew how to get what he wanted -- a violent revolution -- without ever saying those words. And anything he ever said was perfectly within the bounds of acceptable discourse.

V-Men fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 14, 2022

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

It took me a bit to realize they didn't mean "Trump literally called the White House staffer during the middle of a deposition, as in, the staffer was answering Congressional questions and then their phone started ringing"

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

DeadlyMuffin posted:

His wife I believe.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

off topic, but why the hell do tweets no imbed when I am using my macbook (Firefox), but imbed when I am using my PC (also firefox)

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I believe it was his wife. I think it was a great move to put this guy in front of the committee. He came across as respectful, genuine, and contrite and I actually felt a little bad for the guy. Yeah, yeah, he was a MAGA dipshit, but being economically distressed with children and working in a cabinet factory in west virginia for 20 years surrounded by people just like you will do some poo poo to your brain. The lack of polish in his testimony made for a good outreach moment for any waning chuds watching, and humanized/de-polarized the committee's overall appearance as well.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

I believe it was his wife. I think it was a great move to put this guy in front of the committee. He came across as respectful, genuine, and contrite and I actually felt a little bad for the guy. Yeah, yeah, he was a MAGA dipshit, but being economically distressed with children and working in a cabinet factory in west virginia for 20 years surrounded by people just like you will do some poo poo to your brain. The lack of polish in his testimony made for a good outreach moment for any waning chuds watching, and humanized/de-polarized the committee's overall appearance as well.

I think he was more representative of the types of Americans that are susceptible to propaganda through social media. Is he a dipshit? Well, thats not so easy to say. He got caught up in something that was deliberately designs to manipulate, and he likely didn't have the critical thought defenses to ask questions like 'is this person telling the truth' or 'is this claim verified'.

He's probably been bombarded by right wing noise for years, and speaking as someone who's listened to that sort of thing in the early-mid 90s, its really loving effective at what it does. It sets up a 'us vs them' mentality, tells the listener over and over that 'they' are at fault for your problems, and redirects you from thinking about the real cause of the working and lower middle class woes. I feel bad for him and other Americans who got brainwashed by this poo poo, because its really loving insidious.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

How many waning chuds do you think are watching?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Cimber posted:

off topic, but why the hell do tweets no imbed when I am using my macbook (Firefox), but imbed when I am using my PC (also firefox)

Twitter embeds are disabled on Safari based browsers on SA for now. They’re broken.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Danger posted:

How many waning chuds do you think are watching?
Given that the committee has apparently been flooded with new material since the start of the hearings, apparently some.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
Where's a good place with a roundup of the major points from these hearings?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

vseslav.botkin posted:

If you're okay with podcast form, I usually listen to the Lawfare podcast episodes about each hearing, which does a decent job highlighting points.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

vseslav.botkin posted:

https://apnews.com/hub/capitol-siege

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Cimber posted:

He got caught up in something that was deliberately designs to manipulate, and he likely didn't have the critical thought defenses to ask questions like 'is this person telling the truth' or 'is this claim verified'.

(...)I feel bad for him and other Americans who got brainwashed by this poo poo, because its really loving insidious.

Yeah, that's where I'm at. That's why the early-on cries insisting that people should sever from family members who have been brainwashed seemed so gross to me as well. It's like some awful disease grown in a lab with very specific, tested, exploitative intent, and most people didn't get wrapped up in it entirely through their own free will. It's sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I always wonder what are people's breaking points. For the oath keeper dude it was Holocaust denial.
We live in Canada but that hasn't stopped my dad from saying what a great president Trump is and how he is great for the economy and speaks the truth and isn't afraid to offend, but when January 6 happened my dad started saying what a terrible person Trump is and how he hopes Trump gets arrested and sent to jail for it.
I figure a lot of people have a tipping point, maybe it's seeing the Confederate flag being paraded around the buildings in Washington, or seeing the kind of people marching for the same leader you like. I'm not saying ever chud is redeemable, or every one of them reaches that "aha" moment, it might even take some a long long time, but not everyone is worth writing off straight away.