Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

GOD IS BED posted:

Am I blanking something out of my memory from Austen's run?

If you did, it was for a good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

GOD IS BED posted:

Yep, you sure did.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

GOD IS BED posted:

I believe the brain voluntarily murders part of itself to avoid recalling the entirety of The Draco.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Emma does not give a gently caress about John Lennon, Duggan.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

danbanana posted:

Seriously, I'm late Gen X and even I'm annoyed by the boomer poo poo in this book.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
That's a bizarrely passionate opinion about nothing.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

loving boomer Duggan mentioning Bowie and Hendrix! :doom:

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Blockhouse posted:

That's a bizarrely passionate opinion about nothing.

If Emma has had one consistent characterization across decades of appearances, it's utter disdain for powerful men who abuse women and children. I'll give you one hint which Beatle notoriously did both!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

danbanana posted:

Seriously, I'm late Gen X and even I'm annoyed by the boomer poo poo in this book.

Look at it this way, can you think of anyone whose resurrection would give Boomers a bigger stiffy? Emma was just trying to play to her audience.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

danbanana posted:

Counterpoint: Emma Frost has made a lifestyle of being insincere about most things, other than her students. That's even what this week's Immortal was about.

Now, is citing the Beatles specifically an example of broadly appealing but highbrow enough pop culture that it makes her look classy and cool in keeping with her character? I wouldn't know, I don't know poo poo about music!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
It sucks that the best music references a comics writer (even a good one) can make are about people who peaked before the writer was born.

Even if you didn't want to ask someone less than 30 who would be cool to reference, even a 48 year old white dude would know that Doom asking about Biggie would be 1000% better than Bowie.

It's loving 2022.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

well I didnt have Spiderman and his Amazing Friends reuinion on my 2022 marvel bingo card but there it is

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

danbanana posted:

It sucks that the best music references a comics writer (even a good one) can make are about people who peaked before the writer was born.

Even if you didn't want to ask someone less than 30 who would be cool to reference, even a 48 year old white dude would know that Doom asking about Biggie would be 1000% better than Bowie.

It's loving 2022.

lmao

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

danbanana posted:

It'd be Tupac.
Biggie? Lmao

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Tupac was mediocre at best.

But I am embarrassed because obviously the person Victor should have thought about was... MF Doom.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Emma is someone who simultaneously wants to be younger and older.

But also Bowie was making good music up until his death six years ago, so I think he's a perfectly good choice there.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

It'd be Tupac.
Biggie? Lmao

Big Pun is the actual obvious choice.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
Bowie is also someone she would never let near her children

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Endless Mike posted:

I think this is an excellent description of Emma.

Which is why I think she would pick someone who passed in her own youth. Someone who was deeply influential to her and the rest of Western culture. Someone whose work resonates through the ages.

That's right: Emma would have tried to resurrect Bradley Nowell.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Endless Mike posted:

She'd drop some Billie Eilish then.

Resurrect? Janis Joplin.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

danbanana posted:

I think this is an excellent description of Emma.

Which is why I think she would pick someone who passed in her own youth.

I know the sliding time scale makes this kind of an asinine point to argue, but Emma Frost was in her early 20s in 1980.

That said, if you wanted to get mad about one of the Academy X class of characters going for the old top 40 references, that I would understand

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Just pretend she said XXXTentacion. Or Lil Peep.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

OnimaruXLR posted:

I know the sliding time scale makes this kind of an asinine point to argue, but Emma Frost was in her early 20s in 1980.

Yeah, that's 100% not the case anymore because of sliding timescale. But even if it were... Emma Frost would listen to "Imagine," make some comment about how loving gauche it was, and never listen to anything involving John Lennon ever again.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i obviously haven't listened to enough Beatles, when was Lennon invoked

e: found it, was looking at the wrong pages

site fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 14, 2022

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Emma didn't say she liked it, just that's who she would've picked and it undoubtedly would have made a lot of people happy.

Also this is the dumbest derail ever when there were a lot of good books yesterday

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Codependent Poster posted:

Also this is the dumbest derail ever when there were a lot of good books yesterday

So what do we all think about the rotating X-Men roster? Personally I would've liked more time with the previous team. Not knocking the new one, I just think there were more stories to tell with the previous lineup. Maybe I just like Wolverine. Who can say.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Codependent Poster posted:

I've been thinking about Emma listening to Sublime for the last few hours.

At least I got something out of my own derailing!

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I think Duggan did a good job of giving each member a moment to shine and to wrap up the major plot beats. If he can do the same with the new roster, I think it will work out well. That said, it's still a noticeably short amount of time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think having "seasons" of X-Men is fun. I can't say I'm particularly thrilled with this lineup, but more Synch isn't a bad thing. Hopefully the characters who left will land somewhere else.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the election was mostly a bunch of long time x-men saying they wanted themselves or another long time x-man on the team and that being fulfilled instantly. even firestar, the supposed outsider, was an x-man for a while. i don't really have much to say about the roster aside from how they really need some new blood.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It's Globbin' time, baby.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
glob should have died instead of rockslide

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Blockhouse posted:

wtf no.

Though this did make me think The Five not quite getting Glob's wax right would be a fun story.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think 12 issues is kind of short for a team to stick together. I think a new team every 2 years makes more sense and gives the team and each member time to breathe.

But as much as I liked the previous roster, I like this current one more.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I'm really glad that pretty much every single character on the team got a good definitive moment or two to shine. Like compared up against other team books I've gone through recently where everyone's sacrificed on the altar to the lead, I think Duggan has a really good rhythm for an ensemble and how to keep an overarching narrative paced well.

More time probably would have suited a lot of characters. Synch and Wolverine's thing just fizzled out, Polaris never got a definitive 'direction' as she wanted through X-Factor, Sunfire did just sort of wind up bailing after all. But also I like this roster just as well and I'm sure it'll be a fun ride.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think this team has a greater potential for drama and stories than the last one did; Forge seems to still mostly be aligned with Xavier, Firestar is a big X-factor right now (:haw:) who has history with Iceman who has history with Havok who has history with Cyclops.

In comparison, the last team just felt like a pretty incidental group of peers and comrades who never had any particularly strong opinions about each other one way or another...although, on the other hand that might have made the team way more efficient and competent, so who knows how the current line-up will perform :xd:. I do agree that the previous group's potential got a bit wasted and wish we had more issues with them. Sunfire, in particular, felt a bit like a blotch of blank neutral evenness who could have never been there and no one would have noticed, which was a big shame. If he's gonna be on Arakko then I hope Ewing picks him up.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Look all I want is Magik to take Firestar under her wing and make her confident and terrifying so she can kick the asses of all her doubters.

And an Amazing Friends reunion.

And a New Warriors reunion.

And for Scott and Jean to help Emma tear town the Quiet Council.

And a Scott/Jean and Havok/Maddy double date to make things really awkward.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Blockhouse posted:

MODS??

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I think it's neat that they put a bunch of cameos in the Hellfire Gala but I wish there were some kind of annotated version at the end for classless/faceblind idiots like me who don't know that many celebrities. The only people I was able to recognize were Jon Hamm and Brian Posehn and that's because other characters literally pointed them out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Having the Gala every two years might be a better pace for it. It feels like we're only still starting to deal with the fallout from the first one.