Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

OddObserver posted:

As usual, this lineup is even more absurd looking when you're a lala.

As a Roegadyn I enjoyed this quest for the opposite reason. We were the Biggest Squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Onean posted:

The biggest offender is probably the second Sohm Al boss, Myath. Notifying what exactly the red and blue slimes/markers do (stack for red, run away for blue) on that fight would probably be the most helpful.

This is the HW dungeon change I want the most. I get that dungeon from LDR like once a month and never remember which color is which; modern stack/spread would be a godsend.

Modern tankbuster markers in more old dungeons will also be pretty great, since playing Crap, Which One Is The Buster? in dungeons I don't remember always feels really stupid.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The tankbuster is the one with a name that sounds like it would hurt the most

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Regy Rusty posted:

Shout out to a few bosses having busters that are just "Critical Hit"

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Regy Rusty posted:

Not always, but elaborating on my statement is not a topic for where this thread is at right now.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

On all the modern (which I guess would be Stormblood and later?) bosses the first three things the boss casts are its raidwide, its tankbuster, and some aoe target attack, not necessarily in that order, just to teach you their names

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

dude789 posted:

As a Roegadyn I enjoyed this quest for the opposite reason. We were the Biggest Squad.

:hfive:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Regy Rusty posted:

"Right, Intestinal Crank is the tank bust- ah, wait, this boss doesn't have one, whoops."

Of course, it's a dungeon boss, so using a cooldown out of place isn't going to kill me unless things have already gone sideways. :v: And by that point I've finally remembered the mechanics.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

It always gets me when fighting Ultima Weapon that Tank Purge isn't a tankbuster

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

No it's when the Weapon goes and dumps a load of flaming ceruleum on your face if you're in melee range.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Meanwhile in FF7R

(It's a... line AOE.)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I mean many tankbusters in XIV are lines/cones. It checks out.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.

SirSamVimes posted:

I mean many tankbusters in XIV are lines/cones. It checks out.

Cone ones are pretty mean if a tank isn't... y'know... expecting it. Very first time I tanked an on-content trial was the first SHB boss. And uh... it decided to use its conal cleaving tankbuster while I was dragging it back to middle after having to move (and bring the boss with) for a mechanic. I felt awful for those 6 and a half corpses on my hands. Fortunately since I'd admitted I was a fresh-to-current tank they didn't hold it against me.

Needless to say I was being vague because this is the STB thread not the SHB thread, but current players probably know the exact mech combo.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Qwertycoatl posted:

It always gets me when fighting Ultima Weapon that Tank Purge isn't a tankbuster

It's at least a little funny that in OG and revamped Ultima Weapon, Tank Purge is a fairly weak raid wide but in min ilvl synched HM and Unreal, it'll instantly nuke halt of everybody's max hp.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So, something neat my brother caught, when you do ultima weapon its very likely to be the first time it was even possible to do lb3 for a newbie. There are no 8 man fights preceeding it so for a newbie it may feel like lb3 "unlocks" at that point, even if mechanically this is untrue.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Thundarr posted:

It's at least a little funny that in OG and revamped Ultima Weapon, Tank Purge is a fairly weak raid wide but in min ilvl synched HM and Unreal, it'll instantly nuke halt of everybody's max hp.

Tank Purge is also in The Weapon's Refrain where it'll do considerably more than half your HP. I believe the UWU Tank Purges are barely survivable at full health though, making them less severe raidwides compared to the elemental ones that hit for just slightly more than your entire healthbar, and the two Ultima casts that hit for roughly five times your healthbar. Ultimates: they teach you where your mitigation buttons are.

Zoig posted:

So, something neat my brother caught, when you do ultima weapon its very likely to be the first time it was even possible to do lb3 for a newbie. There are no 8 man fights preceeding it so for a newbie it may feel like lb3 "unlocks" at that point, even if mechanically this is untrue.

No 8-mans before then? A blatant case of guildhest erasure.

Not that you get LB3 in that one 8-man guildhest, but its continued existence means there may in fact be multiple sprouts who did an 8-man before Porta Decumana.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Many people have never done guildheists.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I have never done the last guildhests

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Xerophyte posted:

Not that you get LB3 in that one 8-man guildhest, but its continued existence means there may in fact be multiple sprouts who did an 8-man before Porta Decumana.

Do you get it if you wait long enough or do guildhests just not have a limit break bar?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Qwertycoatl posted:

Do you get it if you wait long enough or do guildhests just not have a limit break bar?

It's not a boss fight so it doesn't go to lb3, just 2.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Xerophyte posted:

No 8-mans before then? A blatant case of guildhest erasure.

Out of everybody who has cleared FFXIV 2.0, there are probably dozens who did the full party guildhest before Ultima Weapon. Dozens!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kwyndig posted:

No it's when the Weapon goes and dumps a load of flaming ceruleum on your face if you're in melee range.

No, Tank Purge is a raidwide. The short range pulse just happens sometimes.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I did the guildhests because an FC-mate needed help knocking them out to unlock mentor roulette, and I strongly suspect more people have run them to unlock MR than have ever run them and needed mentoring

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't think the game ever directed me towards doing guildheists and when I noticed them at level 70 or so I wasn't in a hurry to do training content for 1310 exp.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

SMaster777 posted:

Cone ones are pretty mean if a tank isn't... y'know... expecting it. Very first time I tanked an on-content trial was the first SHB boss. And uh... it decided to use its conal cleaving tankbuster while I was dragging it back to middle after having to move (and bring the boss with) for a mechanic. I felt awful for those 6 and a half corpses on my hands. Fortunately since I'd admitted I was a fresh-to-current tank they didn't hold it against me.

Needless to say I was being vague because this is the STB thread not the SHB thread, but current players probably know the exact mech combo.

I feel like dragging the boss back to the middle is usually unnecessary. I try to minimise boss movement as much as possible, really.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Antivehicular posted:

I did the guildhests because an FC-mate needed help knocking them out to unlock mentor roulette, and I strongly suspect more people have run them to unlock MR than have ever run them and needed mentoring

I can just see it now. Guildhest roulette pops. It's two people queuing specifically for them to unlock mentor roulette, someone pulled there by mentor roulette, and the fourth guy queued for them as a joke.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ibblebibble posted:

I feel like dragging the boss back to the middle is usually unnecessary. I try to minimise boss movement as much as possible, really.

Depends on the fight but yeah generally I try to be predictable. Usually if I'm moving a boss it's because I know the next mechanic wants people standing somewhere specific and if I make them follow the boss there now nobody will tunnel-vision miss it later.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

YggiDee posted:

I don't think the game ever directed me towards doing guildheists and when I noticed them at level 70 or so I wasn't in a hurry to do training content for 1310 exp.

I think I got pointed to the guildhests on my first character Back In The Day. Either that or I just did them out of a sense of completeness.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I queued for them way back in the day before I actually knew about Mentor Roulette, but mostly it was because I wanted to know just how many of them there actually were. I don't know that I've ever been back in the later ones since Obama was president, including through the roulette.

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
I’ve been getting the last one a lot lately… because yes I do them pretty regularly. I know they’re not really that useful or lucrative but they’re pretty easy content to squeeze in before your Well Fed buff runs out and it’s Break Time.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If I have a job close to leveling up but have run out of other things I feel like doing, every so often I'll do three guildhests for the challenge log (never 10 though). At least it's easy. I should probably unlock more than three of them so I get something other than the turtle.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I did guildhest roulette a couple of days ago because I was almost at a levelup. I didn't get the levelup.

Dedekind
Sep 6, 2003

The blasphemer, uncontrite, must be punished mightily.

Qwertycoatl posted:

I did guildhest roulette a couple of days ago because I was almost at a levelup. I didn't get the levelup.

That was my suggestion, I’m sorry.

Though there is nothing more satisfying than hitting 90 with a guildhest.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Dedekind posted:

That was my suggestion, I’m sorry.

Though there is nothing more satisfying than hitting 90 with a guildhest.

You sound like someone who hasn't hit 90 by exploring a map region

Dedekind
Sep 6, 2003

The blasphemer, uncontrite, must be punished mightily.

Qwertycoatl posted:

You sound like someone who hasn't hit 90 by exploring a map region

Leaving maps unexplored long enough to be available when hitting 90 shakes me to my completionist core.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Dedekind posted:

Leaving maps unexplored long enough to be available when hitting 90 shakes me to my completionist core.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Zoig posted:

One would hope. I think most new players forget about LBs. I've watched at least one new sprout not fire the LB3 off despite being prompted by the party.

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
I think part of the problem is that Limit Break doesn’t seem like it’s automatically added to any of your hotbars. It took me a while to find the action for it and put it on my all purpose hotbar.

Of course, I have no idea how different it would be if I played with keyboard and mouse instead of a controller, and also I may be stupid.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Ran Rannerson posted:

I think part of the problem is that Limit Break doesn’t seem like it’s automatically added to any of your hotbars. It took me a while to find the action for it and put it on my all purpose hotbar.

Of course, I have no idea how different it would be if I played with keyboard and mouse instead of a controller, and also I may be stupid.

You have to go looking for it with KB+M too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah they never actually put the Limit Break on your hotbar. Sure they'll put the button that opens the Lodestone in a browser window, but they won't put Limit Break on there.